Anyone having a teary eyed 10th anniversary party on May 16th 2008?

Buffalo Bill

Dear all,

Alas, the 10th anniversary will soon be upon us. Incredible to think, isn?t it?

10 years.

10 years ago, 10 years since and 10 years younger. I was 24. A good age to finally see my first of two Scottish Cup wins. People 20 years older than me were seeing their first trophy win too. It was a glorious weekend, long overdue and all very emotional.

So have you thought about what you?ll be dong on Friday May 16th 2008?

I might actually leave it to the Saturday, fire myself up the loft; and stay there, like Clark Griswold in ?Christmas Vacation?, reading my 22 newspapers from the Saturday to the Tuesday. Lager will be drunk, and a grainy Sky Sports 2 video will be hunted for and replayed. I can?t wait.

Hang on: I don?t have a video anymore!

Ok, whose house am I coming to?

I hope you do chilli nachos.

Buffalo Bill

Guest gorgie kev
Dear all,

10 years.

10 years ago, 10 years since and 10 years younger. I was 24. A good age to finally see my first of two Scottish Cup wins. People 20 years older than me were seeing their first trophy win too. It was a glorious weekend, long overdue and all very emotional.

I might actually leave it to the Saturday, fire myself up the loft; and stay there, like Clark Griswold in ?Christmas Vacation?, reading my 22 newspapers from the Saturday to the Tuesday. Lager will be drunk, and a grainy Sky Sports 2 video will be hunted for and replayed. I can?t wait.

Buffalo Bill

I still have the video and i hope my video player stands up to playing it again.But first i will visit Tescos for a cheap crate of beer:)

What a day. Was there with my old man.12 year old. A few "under the table lagers". Blue sky. Face painted. Decked in maroon in white.

Having watched the re-run many a time there's always one part i'll never forget...

"Adam...stole in........YAAAAASSSS"

i was singing in the only rangers boozer in coatbridge that night (the cross keys)

was getting a bit sick of the old "proddy pals" routine from them, but even that couldn't wipe the smile off my face

can't believe it was 10 years ago though, really doesn't feel that long ago

The Real Maroonblood
I still have the video and i hope my video player stands up to playing it again.But first i will visit Tescos for a cheap crate of beer:)

I have just recently transfered my video on to dvd just in case.

One of the best days of my life and on my 18th birthday to boot! Watched the game on my own, high up in the stand. When we scored the first goal, Id never felt such joy and to be honest Ive yet to feel it since! Amazing.

I vaguely recall singing the Hearts song in Ceasars (shicht nightclub) in Kirkcaldy...how I didnt get my head kicked in Ill never know!

So itll be a double celebration for me! :)

My bro had a flat in Govan at the time. We started out journey to the Cup Final, wearing all our Heart sstuff, from Ibrox Underground.

"You're taking a f******g liberty," yelled some kindly Glaswegian gentlemen.

Big bro was a bag of nerves. I was so confident. Then we walked up the street with the sun reflecting off the buses and I started to get nervous - what if we didn't do it ...

Absolutely LOVED the nervousness and raw emotion of the game - spent the final 10 minutes half standing, half sitting.

Big moment for me was the roar then immediate silence then roar again when Adam scored. I reckon we all were looking at the ref to see why he would not give the goal - because Hearts just didn't do thing like that. I mean, going 2-0 up in a final and all!

And what a party afterwards!

Yeah, come Friday 16th May and I think I'll dig out the video and a few beers.

I was 11.

Still have never been more nervous before or since.

I didn't even celebrate the first goal as it just made everything all too real. I'd been to both 1996 cup finals but didn't feel the nerves as much because I always had that feeling we'd get beaten. Our performance for the majority of the 1998 season led me into believing this was our chance, if we didn't win the cup with a team this good then we'd never win it. When Cameron's penalty hit the back of the net we then had something to lose.

I hated the game from start to finish, I felt like being sick and couldn't bare moving because of the crippling butterflies in my stomach. Every single time I watch the game again (this year it'll be around about the 15th time) I am stunned to see how little happened over 90 minutes. That's because my attention never waivered from what was happening on the field, I lived every pass, tackle and shot as if my life depended on it. Every time we misplaced a pass my heart skipped a beat more than any penalty shout for the opposing team in every game since.

The full time whistle was unbelievable. There are no words that will ever be able to do justice to the elation and relief I felt. And I'd only gone 6 years watching Hearts without a trophy, god only knows how my dad felt.

Vivid memories that will live with me forever. I honestly thought I'd never see Hearts win a trophy. Must put a bottle of bubbly in the fridge for the anniversary. :mj_zivili:

Carl Fredrickson

That day was the greatest day of my life - I have no kids so nothing can compare with it. Front row seats at the halfway line opposite the main stand.

Suffered sun burn but a small price to pay for memories that will last until my last breath.

The thing is, I have NEVER watched the whole game since...anyone offer a copy of their dvd - i will pay copying cost and p& p. Ta!

10 years...where have they gone?

10 years old but still remeber it clear is a bell.

Great day - Will watch the video on the 16th May with a few tins perhaps.

MonkeyHeidHater

Will never forget that day - couldn't go to the game because two of my best friends were getting married!! And the bride's side were all staunch jambos - what a shocking day to choose!!!

Anways - heard it was 1-0 as the first photos were being taken... then heard the Adam goal on my portable radio on the coach on the way to the wedding reception.

I had recorded it all & was obviously reekin that night. Next day i watched the full game - and even though we had won it already - when McCoist went down on the edge of the box in the last few mins when we were 2-1 up- i was RAGING - i was sure that they were gonna get a penalty and win the game haha!

Good times - what a day - 2 times in the last 10 years..... FTH 106 - GIRUY !!!!!! :P

I took my seat just after kick off. opoposite the main stand , still have the sunburnt forehead to prove it. When the penalty was awarded and scorored my mates still hadn't appearred, I was dancing around on our four seats with strangers, it was as if heaven had fallen on me. It somehow felt right.

THIS WAS THE TIME!

By the final whistle, Adam had done the imposible and put us two goals clear and even Super Ally couldn't deny us!

Tears were shed!

I am 34 now and that was my first trophy, 1986 hurt so much!

The word heaven doesn't do it justice!

The day after was ....................... words defy me!

i was singing in the only rangers boozer in coatbridge that night (the cross keys)

was getting a bit sick of the old "proddy pals" routine from them, but even that couldn't wipe the smile off my face

can't believe it was 10 years ago though, really doesn't feel that long ago

Bev, I appreciate you having a fine voice and all, but I was singing EVERYWHERE that night!;)

It was brill,and loved it but never enjoyed the game as i just felt sick all day,but it magically left me the min the final whistle went,and il never forgive that Coisty for his dive that day,but will raise a glass on that date and reflect

I was at the 76 final. 86 final, 96 final, and the coca cola league cup final. The dens 86, and the suffering was bad.

16th may 1998 was the greatest day in my 42 year life span.

A tear will be shed when the dvd goes on, Fri 16th May 2008.

ok didnt work as well as planned. here's a link to the youtube video for someone with better skills to put on the page. enjoy

Watched the game at 2.00am with a couple of Jambo mates and an AFL Collingwood supporter who couldn't undertsand my distress at us scoring so early. actually thought it would be disallowed cause it wasn't 3 o' clock yet. I never imagined holding on to that lead far less getting a second. Never got to bed that night missed work on Monday.

I think i'll sit in the beer garden in front of the Ardmillan hotel and get very drunk as i did 10 years ago!!

still got the newspapers but i loaned my video of the game to my mate and it ended up on a bonfire with his golf clubs an various other items that his ex wife seen fit to burn:mad::mad:

Jack Torrance

Couldn't get a ticket, gutted. Watched with my Dad his partner & my missus in the Balmoral, Dalry.

I remember ol' blue eyes died the day before & my dad hadn't heard so I broke the news to him. He was gutted. Big fan.

Funny what you remember about that day. It's a kind of JFK moment for Jambos everywhere.

Had to go to the toilet towards the end as I couldn't stand the tension so I never saw Coisty's dive at the time.

The final whistle was just an outpouring of emotion. All the hurt from previous seasons gone in an instant.

We watched the cup coming back that night. That was the best. The Tynie Arms emptied when someone stuck their head through the door to say the cup was coming. Seeing our heroes on top of the bus as it tried to get round the corner into McLeod Street will live with me forever.

Gary Naismith looked stoned. He didn't know where he was so I shouted up at him & he kinda' woke up with a start then began to celebrate.

The next day was good too. Took my wee boy, who was three at the time, to the stadium. He's now got two framed pictures on the wall with the cup from different seasons & he's only 13. I am well jealous that he's experienced so much Jambo joy in such a short space of time.

Much later I got my hands on a DVD that Neil Pointon took from "behind the scenes". Brought it all flooding back. "Jose's on the water, Jose's on the water...."

Think I'll dig out the video too & hope it works. If not maybe I'll just head for the loft too & read the paper.

Wouldn't it be great if the club opened up the Gorgie Suite & played it on the big screen to celebrate the occasion

Wouldn't it be great if the club opened up the Gorgie Suite & played it on the big screen to celebrate the occasion

Thats genius! Where can I get a ticket?

Hans von Luck

35 years old at the time and it is still the greatest day in my life following Heart of Midlothain F.C

It was more a sence of relief, joy, happiness, all the emotions you can ever go through rolled into one.

Finally helped clear away all the sad times of our great club when we were relegated to the first division twice.

A day in my life I will never forget until I die.

I for one still have the game on video however the tape is snapped, does anyone know where you can get it transfered to dvd?

10 years eh, just like that..... Scary how quickly time flies.

Without a doubt the single best day of my life. I seriously doubt that i'll have too many moe days that will even come close to competing with it either.

I was 16 at the time. I'm kinda glad I was that age - if i'd been a couple of years older, i'd no doubt have been p!shed - and if I had been, that woulda taken something away from it - as it stands, i'd only had a few cheeky beers before hand and saved all my underage alcohol abuse for the Saturday night and as a result of that, i can remember pretty much every single kick of the ball from start to finish.

So many memories - it sends shivers down my back just thinking about them. I think one thing that sticks in my head is the "decent" Gers fans from that day - the ones who stayed behind to applaud our team with us.

I remember we got back on our bus and and saw one rangers fan with his son. The wee boy looked proper gutted, tears the lot..... his dad stopped, took off his hat and applauded us as we passed in the bus. Not what you expect from your typical Rangers fan - and its moments like that that go to show HOW significant a result that was.

I remember hearts being labelled as "a breath of fresh air" that season..... how times have changed!

I remember being in tears at the 5-1 game, absolutely inconsolable, i was young and naive and didnt realize then that following Hearts basically meant getting to the odd semi or final and blowing it in spectacular fashion.

I think i actually remember more abot the 5-1 game then actually winning the fecking thing, I remember JC scoring (think we were 3-0 down at the time) and everyone around me celebrating half-heartedly (boom boom), i was so upset at the time i never even bothered.

Still got the video from 98 tho, watch it every now and again, not watched it in a while though...

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'll raise a glass to my best day ever following HMFC but that's it. We should be looking forward (difficult at the moment, admittedly), not wallowing in nostalgia. Leave that to smaller teams who celebrate games before I was born.

I'll raise a glass to my best day ever following HMFC but that's it. We should be looking forward (difficult at the moment, admittedly), not wallowing in nostalgia. Leave that to smaller teams who celebrate games before I was born.

My sentiments too. Here's to the future cup wins and league championship flags.

John

Apart from my wedding day (have to say that to save the knackers) that was easily the best day and weekend of my life.

I was 28 at the time and there with a couple of mate (one of which was The Padre - where are you mate!) We were in the front row in the upper tier.

Went through the emotions of the game, the disbelief when we went two nil up.....the seeming certainty that Willie Young would give a penalty for the McCoist foul.

When the final whistle went, I sat on my seat and cried.....and then hugged The Padre who I thought was in the same state as I was. (sorry mate!)

The bus home was surreal - it was so quiet....the celebrations in Gorgie when they came back were the most amazing I've ever seen....but as soon as they were gone - I had to go home....I was feeling numb.

But the next day we celebrated again - at the foot of Ardmillan and then into the stadium....finishing up with going through to Whitburn where my wife was with her Parents - all big Rangers fans. I was sitting in their front garden ****ed singing the Hearts song with my scarf held high...and neighbours coming out offering me drinks and wishing me all the best for our success - even though they were also Rangers fans.

Memories that will live with me forever. Unfortunately I was in the States when we won against Gretna and although I would have loved to have been there - I just don't think it would have been as special as that day in May in Glasgow.

It's what makes you love Hearts isn't it! It's in the blood.

HMFC forever....good night from Oz!

Will remember that day forever. Got on the double decker from Sighthill Bowling Club half jaked from the early opening time.

When the penalty went in you just knew it would be 90 minutes of pain.

Then Lorenzo lets it run an woooooof Adam scores, christ we might do it.

Couldn't take anymore and went downstairs and sat at the exit crapping myself. Saw it was ten minutes to go, so I decided to go back up, barely sat on my seat and Super Twally scores, Here we go again. I couldn't handle it and ran off to the bogs only to hear the cries for the penalty. Got back up the stairs convinced they had done us only to see Laudrup hitting row Z.

The final whistle went and the rest is a blur.

Has anyone got a copy of the full game as I missed most of it.

Mid Calder Jambo
Dear all,

10 years.

Buffalo Bill

Mrs Mid Calder's 50th on 16/05/08. So much drink for me. Just like 16/05/98 and 17/05/98 and 18/05/98

I think undoubtedly, the emotion was due to the terrible past finals.

My dad took me to Dens 86, Hampden 86 & all the rest. I only clearly remember these games from about Celtic 88. Fortunately, 86 & 87 is a bit of a blurr.

But I do remember how people hurt each time we blew it. What seemed like hundreds of thousands of Hearts fans trailing back to Edinburgh, dejected.

High up at the corner flag in 98, I just remember the unbridled joy at finally having won a peice of silverware.

Beutiful Saturday & Sunday. Still got the papers myself.

Great momories.

I followed the match on the internet, from my apartment on the outskirts of Tokyo. I remember it was the old kickback. Also on the skysports site(I think). Updates were not great back then, and no live commentary. It kicked off at midnight here, so finishing time *should* have been around 1:45am. But as we all know there were a good few minutes *injusry* time. I was a nervous wreck! It was 2-1 and I was scared to check any updates in case they'd equalised! LOL! Then a plucked up the courage and checked kickback again, where I saw the glorious headline " HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN FC, SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 1998!(who remembers posting that?). So then I checked every site I could to get pics etc. Wept buckets! I got to my kip around 3:30am. Of course I couldn't sleep! Then I eventually nodded off, only for my phone to ring at 4:30! It was my pal Margaret Clark in Livingston, just in from the match! That was us, goners again, bawling like bairns! Two pals on opposite sides of the world greeting their hearts out for the love of a football team. Magic!

Lynn:ninja:

Archived