Being quizzed by my kids as to why I support Heart of Midlothian

Craigieboy

chester copperpot
Have to second that. Wow! Really impressed mate. We're very lucky to have you as one of our fans. :10900:

What me? Yeah I know. :10900:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kitster

• EG_Wanna_Be

• Craigieboy

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

peebles jambo

i support the hearts because my dad supported hearts and he took me ti tynie when i was a laddie, just the same as me, i took my sons and hopefully they'll take there sons

What me? Yeah I know. :10900:

Hell yeah you as well Andy :10900: We're in with the bricks though you and I. An ex pat canadian seeing the light and being so articulate with it..well that's a bit special I think you'd agree.

chester copperpot
Hell yeah you as well Andy :10900: We're in with the bricks though you and I. An ex pat canadian seeing the light and being so articulate with it..well that's a bit special I think you'd agree.

Brought a smile to my hungover face, so it did.

Brought a smile to my hungover face, so it did.

I know this is a bit sad but I am gonna save that post in case of dark days with my little boy. If he ever thinks the OF or even worse Falkirk is the answer I'll use every trick in the book I have :10900:

Thanks very much for the kind words! Thinking back to my story, I think it says enough that the highlight of a supporter's time in supporting his team is a pretty average league game against Celtic.

I just need to find a way to finance my habit now in order to get a season ticket. :P

Thanks very much for the kind words! Thinking back to my story, I think it says enough that the highlight of a supporter's time in supporting his team is a pretty average league game against Celtic.

I just need to find a way to finance my habit now in order to get a season ticket. :P

Why don't you write a book? God we've had Aidan Smith turn jambo for a year and write about it. I am sure your journey is a lot more interesting than supping bovril from the devil's cup was.

Haha, that is by far the most flattering thing I've heard in quite some time! Just checked out Aiden Smith, haven't read the book of course, but the synopsis makes it sound like we're vermen, that need researched.

He can take his green arse and point it back in the direction of London Road... what a waste of paper if that's what it's all about.

Haha, that is by far the most flattering thing I've heard in quite some time! Just checked out Aiden Smith, haven't read the book of course, but the synopsis makes it sound like we're vermen, that need researched.

He can take his green arse and point it back in the direction of London Road... what a waste of paper if that's what it's all about.

Loved you're post to mate,welcome aboard,wish we had more fans like you :10900:

blondejamtart

Fantastic post, EG - but one thing is clear to anyone reading this thread. Through all the ups and downs, the good times and the bad, no matter how many times we ask ourselves why we put ourselves through this, being a Jambo comes, well, from the heart!

I'm a twenty-three year old Canadian ex-pat who moved to Edinburgh two years ago to find out more about where my Mum is from. When I moved here, I thought 'soccer' was a load of rubbish, and was potentially the biggest waste of time, money, and energy going. I of course supported ice hockey, and still do keep my die-hard roots with my Canadian hockey club of choice, so to move to a place where there's no hockey worried me to say the least.

I moved to Green territory off the bat, without knowing it, living in Pilrig, and was still quite adament that football was rubbish, though I couldn't help but notice how much attention people paid to it on a daily basis. In the streets, on mobiles, on shop front windows, on lunchbreaks, on the bus... everywhere, people were chatting about the OF, and the Edinburgh clubs... Words about Gordon's move to Sunderland were everywhere, and I was starting to realise that not only was football a game, but it was more of a passion than anything else. I decided to give it a shot...

I asked one of the lads I worked with if he would mind taking me to see a game, as I was quite concerned about all the football violence, and hooliganism that you hear of. There were chats in the office about how I would be lucky to escape the game without getting strung up by away supporters, for I would be lucky enough to start my football supporting 'career' by seeing the bhoys come to Tynecastle. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, but it was such a rush to be living 'on the edge' over something as silly (don't think it's silly anymore) as a Mitre football.

We got tickets beside the Away supporters, in the so-called family zone, and I was told that because this would be my first football experience, we'd do it 'right'. My mate picked me up at 10am, and I was bursting with excitement. We made our way back to his to get the tickets, and then walked to the Westfield for a few pints... hold up... at 10am? You're damn right! We were three deep at the bar at 10:30 in the morning to get a pint... maybe, just maybe this could turn out to be something I would grow to like.

After meeting some of his mates, some of which weren't allowed to take in the sights and sounds of Tynecastle due to ongoing legal issues, I was told it was time to make our way to the park... as we started walking down Gorgie in a crowd of hundreds, I heard the faint noise of shouting coming from the rear. The sound grew louder, and before I knew it, a coach had caught up to us, though was slowed in the foot traffic around it. Through the windows were a plethora of green and white scarves, clovers, and a couple dozen neds going absolutely mental shaking the bus, pounding on the windows, singing, and shouting abuse at the hundreds of maroon sweaters surrounding them. This was my first taste of a passion for football, and even more-so, the first time I started to doubt what I was doing. I began to feel a little bit like a lamb headed for slaughter, completely ignorant to what I was going to see, hear, and feel when this all kicked off. It felt more like I was headed to the front lines of a war, rather than a sporting event...

They kicked off at something like 12:30, and soon after, songs started bouncing off the walls of Tynecastle, and I found myself immersed in an ocean of maroon, bouyantly singing in unison words to a song that managed to insult the opposition, the oppositions supporters, and the players themselves... now that was a talent! All thw while, I found myself surrounded by people shouting abuse at the referee, the players, each other... what a place to be on this very weekend!

As I remember it, I think the tims went up 1-0 just past half-time. I knew nothing of Celtic, but knew that along with Rangers, they were likely to be the biggest opposition I could have been watching, so to see a nil-nil draw by halftime was an achievement, and was worth celebrating. As the second half kicked off, the atmosphere was punctured with a goal from the green side. Having said that, it wasn't long after that the songs started again, again, such an incredible place to be, nevermind the fact that I could see the castle in the background!

Nearing the 90 minute mark, it was still 1-0 to the bad, and I was beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be watching what a celebration looked like for a goal from the home side... enter injury time! At the far end of the pitch, I checked my watch at the 91' mark, and watched a maroon jersey get dropped to the ground inside what I thought was a huge 'goalie crease', which was of course the 18 yard box, and meant that someone was going to the spot. Forgive me, as I don't remember names, but as I remember it, Velicka stepped up, and you could cut the tension with a knife. Even I knew what seemed to be riding on this... stealing even a point from the Old firm could make a world of difference to the city of Edinburgh on that given day. Velicka approached the ball, put his foot through it, and sent the keeper in the opposite direction, GOAL to Hearts!

Tynecastle erupted, and before I realised the ball was in the net, my mate was at the line of stewards holding in the away support. I was hugging and shaking fists at people I'd never even seen before, so excited, so relieved, and so passionate about something I thought I didn't even care about... lesson learned!

It may have only been a 1-1 draw with Celtic, but it was my first game, and the first time I had ever given half a thought to football. I have never looked back! I attended eight games last term, and have only been to one this young season, but have followed them on the telly, radio, and net throughout. I love my team, because they're mine. I look forward to every weekend, because there are genuine issues with the squad. What fun is it being the pretend manager for a club whose biggest issue is which ?5m international they should play. I like belonging to a club that is real. I love knowing that I shop in the same places, and eat in the same restaurants as the players I follow, and what I love most about Hearts is that I now live on Dalry, and feel as though I live in Jambo country. Week in, and week out we have a team that competes. We have a team surrounded by issues, but that's what makes it special to me, seeing that despite our inability to score goals, we can beat a European League Champ (albeit Croatian) 2-0, with a view to have tied/beaten them on aggregate.

I will be a Hearts supporter for the rest of my life. I live in Edinburgh, I support an Edinburgh team for 52 weeks of the year, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Through trials and tribulations, the JTs are my team, and I look forward to that 1-0 win over Kilmarnock the same as I do a win over Hibs at Easter Road, okay, maybe slightly less, but I love it just the same!

To put it in prespective, when I started supporting Hearts, I don't think I watched them win until they pulled out an absolutely undeserved 1-0 win over Hamilton at my fourth or fifth game. I still loved every second of it!

Thanks for giving me something to be passionate about in this fine city, and I look forward to further success, and further failure just the same. A gangster rapper once said: "Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain, and

joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain'. He was absolutely right... supporting a football club should be an emotional rollercoaster, I imagine the knack of winning the league every year, or two would wear off quite quickly.

Let's have a good year, score some goals, and get ready for another European campaign next year!

MON THE JAMBOS!

Fantastic post man, loved reading it. :10900:

I tried taking my daughter (She was 7 at the time) to the games, After her 3rd game she came to me and said "Daddy i love you, I love Hearts but I don't want to go and see tham again...Girls should shop and do dancing!!"...Never a truer word was spoken...I have 3 year old son...He'll have no choice!! :10900:

EG Wanna Be, I was visiting family in Toronto during the summer and my cousins have the same feelings about soccer as you did. They took me to a Jays game telling me i was about to experience something special. I was less than impressed to be honest. A huge stadium, lots of fans, beer on sale in the ground, but the atmosphere was dire. Not even a bit of banter between the fans. I tried explaining the passion that comes with football, but they couldn`t get it to be honest. If its ok with you. I am going to email them a copy of your post. Let them hear it from one of there own, so to speak.

Great post mate. Welcome to the madhouse !!

EG Wanna Be, I was visiting family in Toronto during the summer and my cousins have the same feelings about soccer as you did. They took me to a Jays game telling me i was about to experience something special. I was less than impressed to be honest. A huge stadium, lots of fans, beer on sale in the ground, but the atmosphere was dire. Not even a bit of banter between the fans. I tried explaining the passion that comes with football, but they couldn`t get it to be honest. If its ok with you. I am going to email them a copy of your post. Let them hear it from one of there own, so to speak.

Great post mate. Welcome to the madhouse !!

Haha, I welcome it mate! I can't believe what I was missing. Baseball holds its own feelings in every North American, but it has a different kind of atmosphere... which is mostly based on what you remember as a kid. It brings back those memories, and for that reason, it's special, but the raw intensity of a football crowd is enough to affect anyone, no previous experience required... that's special in its own right, but the feelings, and the emotions, joy, pain, humour, anxiety, fear, surprise, excitement... those are things that anyone can feel at a football ground, and from my experience, something that is more special than anywhere else at Tynecastle.

Coburg Hearts
I'm a twenty-three year old Canadian ex-pat who moved to Edinburgh two years ago to find out more about where my Mum is from. When I moved here, I thought 'soccer' was a load of rubbish, and was potentially the biggest waste of time, money, and energy going. I of course supported ice hockey, and still do keep my die-hard roots with my Canadian hockey club of choice, so to move to a place where there's no hockey worried me to say the least...............

........I will be a Hearts supporter for the rest of my life. I live in Edinburgh, I support an Edinburgh team for 52 weeks of the year, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Through trials and tribulations, the JTs are my team, and I look forward to that 1-0 win over Kilmarnock the same as I do a win over Hibs at Easter Road, okay, maybe slightly less, but I love it just the same!

To put it in prespective, when I started supporting Hearts, I don't think I watched them win until they pulled out an absolutely undeserved 1-0 win over Hamilton at my fourth or fifth game. I still loved every second of it!

Thanks for giving me something to be passionate about in this fine city, and I look forward to further success, and further failure just the same. A gangster rapper once said: "Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain, and

joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain'. He was absolutely right... supporting a football club should be an emotional rollercoaster, I imagine the knack of winning the league every year, or two would wear off quite quickly.

Let's have a good year, score some goals, and get ready for another European campaign next year!

MON THE JAMBOS!

If there was a post of the year award then this would surely win it. Welcome into the Hearts family, EG_Wanna_Be. :2thumbsup:

CH

If there was a post of the year award then this would surely win it. Welcome into the Hearts family, EG_Wanna_Be. :2thumbsup:

CH

Haha, dude, again... such flattery! I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed reading what I wrote! It's inspired me to look at maybe starting a blog... if people want to read what I have to say... then why not?

Just wondering what's different about what I said that hasn't already been said in this thread...

I appreciate all the kind comments, and in fact... this is the first forum I've been on where a newbie doesn't get slated for random stuff, where my first post could have generated such a wealth of kind words from other people.

Thanks again for that.

I tried taking my daughter (She was 7 at the time) to the games, After her 3rd game she came to me and said "Daddy i love you, I love Hearts but I don't want to go and see tham again...Girls should shop and do dancing!!"...Never a truer word was spoken...I have 3 year old son...He'll have no choice!! :10900:

I went to my first game around the same time..I'm a girl but it hooked me..I ended up saying Daddy I love you and I love Hearts..when's our next match? I left the shopping, ballet and music concerts to my sister and mum when I was busy down gorgie way with my old man. I also have a 3 yr old son. He'll have a choice of sorts.....Hearts or e-bay? you decide! :wink:

Haha, dude, again... such flattery! I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed reading what I wrote! It's inspired me to look at maybe starting a blog... if people want to read what I have to say... then why not?

Just wondering what's different about what I said that hasn't already been said in this thread...

I appreciate all the kind comments, and in fact... this is the first forum I've been on where a newbie doesn't get slated for random stuff, where my first post could have generated such a wealth of kind words from other people.

Thanks again for that.

It's different as you have a newer perspective than most of us about how you came to find and follow Hearts. It's special as the way you wrote it was with feeling and something I would have expected from someone who had maroon blood from the day they were born. This forum is no different to many others when you are a newbie but not many have anything near as good for a first post to say. Please do write a blog I for one would be very interested to read it:10900:

• 11 years later...
Heartsofgold

I'm bumping this thread to see if any of the original posters from WAY back in 2009 have any follow up stories of how their kids are now, many of whom will be young adults now.

My 2 were aged 2 and -3 months when the original post went up and both are now season ticket holders and understand the hatred of the Weegie arse cheeks and the special needs case from the other end of our own fair city.  They had their first 2 experiences of Hearts losing cup finals in the last 2 seasons and they were both in tears after the 1st one.

On 05/09/2009 at 00:36, Craigieboy said:

I tried to explain to my kids today that supporting a team like Hearts is not based on logic.

In their tiny wee 6 year old minds they were quizing me about the amount of trophies Hearts have won in comparison to say, Celtic (their in-lawed Grandads team) or Rangers.

In the mind of a 6 year old, I suppose quantity is all that they measure success by. How many Ben 10 cards do you have? And so on.

I had to try and reign in the conversation & put my spin on things as I was driving home from the Gyle & being faced with all these logical/black & white dilemas from 2 wee people who are simply beginning to be perplexed as to why I support Heart of Midlothian & not the high scoring, cheating *******s from the west.

In the few seconds that I had to think, I simply had to recall the fire station at Calder Road as we had just past it. I remembered that in 1998, the firemen were out on top of the engines waving Hearts scarves & flags. I told them how old women & kids were at their gates all along the route to Gorgie clapping & cheering.

I reiterted what I had heard at last nights shareholders dinner - we support this club, not for success but because we just simply love it. For some of us our dads supported the Hearts. And even their dads dads supported the Hearts.

For me it's just that simple.

I could see by their reaction that they were confused by this apparent lack of numbers in relation to success. Lets face it, our 7 cup wins to Celtics 34 seems quite out of sink with the way that a wee 6 year old measures success.

But they were still happy to refer to Hearts as 'our' team & my wee girl even managed to find excuses as to why we haven't won so many trophies as Celtic. She looked at me as I was turning our last roundabout on Calder Rd and said 'No matter what dad, you've got to always support Hearts'.

You've got to love them!

Supporting Hearts might well be frustrating & horrible & utterly disappointing. But it's what we are. It's where we are from.

Keep them well away from the in-law grampa or they'll be joining the gangrene brigade before you know it.

13 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I'm bumping this thread to see if any of the original posters from WAY back in 2009 have any follow up stories of how their kids are now, many of whom will be young adults now.

My 2 were aged 2 and -3 months when the original post went up and both are now season ticket holders and understand the hatred of the Weegie arse cheeks and the special needs case from the other end of our own fair city.  They had their first 2 experiences of Hearts losing cup finals in the last 2 seasons and they were both in tears after the 1st one.

I would have had a 4 Yr old at the time. Having watched us since she is now 15 and still asks why I support them 😂 that may be due to the amount of dross we have served in the last few years and her slowly watching me die a little inside everytime I watch us.  

I still use the 98 cup win as inspiration as to not follow the crowd and to be yourself. The day we won that cup was amazing. The feeling that the old firm won't get when they win it year after year. 

I think she got it a little at the 2-1 final against celtic when we went one up. The euphoria that the crowd got for those few minutes was ear bursting and you could see a glimmer of "I get it now". 

As a wee kid in the early 70's my dad told me that Cruickie was the best goalie, Alan Anderson the best defender, Fordy the best striker and Hearts the best team in the world.

Didn't question it. Even when I saw the league table in the Sunday paper and Hearts were usually somewhere between 6th and 12th in the old Division 1. 

Recall around that time, 1974 maybe 75, being slagged at school by Hibs fans about 0-7. When I got home and asked my Dad if they did, indeed, beat Hearts like that he said no. Just denied it.

I was only 6 or 7 and totally believed him. 😄

No Idle Talk

I suppose for kids nowadays it is going to get harder and harder for them not to go down the path of supporting Celtic or Sevco as they are the two teams who get the vast majority of the media coverage in this country and those two clubs seem to win the vast majority of the trophies as well. As a kid it is probably hard to ignore that. What we need is for parents who support one of the other clubs to point their kids in that direction and take them to games if possible. That was what happened to me. Once you start going to matches, the thing gets in your blood and the connection to the team is born. 

Over the years I have formed the opinion that one of the biggest problems Scottish Football faces is people from towns and cities the length and breadth of Scotland supporting one or other of the big two. Every one of those people is a fan lost to one of the other clubs and that is how the gross inequality in our game is born and perpetuated. As someone who was born and brought up in Edinburgh, and is very proud to say they come from Edinburgh, I feel it is incumbent on me to support one of the Edinburgh teams. Because my auld man was a Jambo, it was Hearts for me. It was never going to be Hibernian. He wouldn't have allowed it. 

For me, supporting a team isn't about how many trophies your team wins. It is about a feeling of belonging and associating yourself with something you can feel proud of and passionate about. Hearts give me those feelings. In my lifetime I have watched both Rangers and Celtic win 9 in a row. I can honestly say that I am not sure I would even want to see Hearts do that. By the time you get to winning the league for the 7th, 8th and 9th time in a row you must almost become numb to winning it. There is no way that it can have the same emotional impact on you that I felt at Dens Park in 1986 or that every Hearts fan felt in May 1998 when Hearts won the Scottish Cup for the first time in decades. If Hearts won the league one time, it would be a day no Hearts fan would ever forget. That is how it should feel. 

I am in my 40s now and I am beginning to worry that I may never see Hearts win the league in my lifetime. If that's how things pan out then I will be very sad about that. But I will keep on supporting and keep on hoping. Safe in the knowledge that should it happen it will probably be the greatest day in my life. That is what makes supporting Hearts worthwhile. They say it's the hope that kills you but it's also the hope that keeps you going and makes it all worthwhile. 

Geddyalexneil

My dad wasn't into football but my mum was. She used us lads to get him to take her to some games. She grew up with the King in Newcraighall and could only support one team from knowing him.

At our first game my dad said to the pair of us (I was about 6) "This is your local team, they're no very good but they are your local team!" He was right (especially late 60s and into the 70s) but they were, are and will always be MY local team, MY TEAM! 

When that cup was lifted in 1998 I cannot express in words how I felt, Sort of completely overjoyed with a huge sense of relief and a bit of disbelief!

I have seen us relegated (and kicked out of a league) but those lows have enhanced the highs so that I truly appreciate the good times. I wouldn't want it any other way.

On 05/09/2009 at 00:36, Craigieboy said:

I tried to explain to my kids today that supporting a team like Hearts is not based on logic.

In their tiny wee 6 year old minds they were quizing me about the amount of trophies Hearts have won in comparison to say, Celtic (their in-lawed Grandads team) or Rangers.

In the mind of a 6 year old, I suppose quantity is all that they measure success by. How many Ben 10 cards do you have? And so on.

I had to try and reign in the conversation & put my spin on things as I was driving home from the Gyle & being faced with all these logical/black & white dilemas from 2 wee people who are simply beginning to be perplexed as to why I support Heart of Midlothian & not the high scoring, cheating *******s from the west.

In the few seconds that I had to think, I simply had to recall the fire station at Calder Road as we had just past it. I remembered that in 1998, the firemen were out on top of the engines waving Hearts scarves & flags. I told them how old women & kids were at their gates all along the route to Gorgie clapping & cheering.

I reiterted what I had heard at last nights shareholders dinner - we support this club, not for success but because we just simply love it. For some of us our dads supported the Hearts. And even their dads dads supported the Hearts.

For me it's just that simple.

I could see by their reaction that they were confused by this apparent lack of numbers in relation to success. Lets face it, our 7 cup wins to Celtics 34 seems quite out of sink with the way that a wee 6 year old measures success.

But they were still happy to refer to Hearts as 'our' team & my wee girl even managed to find excuses as to why we haven't won so many trophies as Celtic. She looked at me as I was turning our last roundabout on Calder Rd and said 'No matter what dad, you've got to always support Hearts'.

You've got to love them!

Supporting Hearts might well be frustrating & horrible & utterly disappointing. But it's what we are. It's where we are from.

It’s not so simple with kids Craigieboy but we’ve all been one so should have an answer ,even though it’ll never be an exact?

with parents like you it’ll be easy for them ,just now maybe not [maybe a tad young] but when it hits they will know, in another year or two you’ll look in each other’s eyes ,you’ll be thinking ...ah they’ve got it 👍👍👍👍👍.    👍

they will be looking back wondering where doubt could have sprung from,  who knows? When they are your age , your grandchildren will hopefully be asking the question...why did we struggle for a few decades as they are watching another title lifted 👍👍👍👍👍.    👍

I'll be taking a different route to what my dad did with me. He's Celtic but never forced Celtic on me, at the age of 5 I decided i wanted to support Hearts and he was fine with that and started taking me to games. The route I'll take with my son is different, he can support who ever he likes, as long as it's Heart of Midlothian, it's not up for debate.

Rudiscoresagain

Got tears in my eyes reading all of this. Bairns, grandbairns and great grandbairn are all season ticket holders although the 1 year old grandbairn doesn’t know it yet!

My dad was a bluenose but was happy to take me to Tyne when I asked. 
HHGH

Carl Weathers
4 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I suppose for kids nowadays it is going to get harder and harder for them not to go down the path of supporting Celtic or Sevco as they are the two teams who get the vast majority of the media coverage in this country and those two clubs seem to win the vast majority of the trophies as well. As a kid it is probably hard to ignore that. What we need is for parents who support one of the other clubs to point their kids in that direction and take them to games if possible. That was what happened to me. Once you start going to matches, the thing gets in your blood and the connection to the team is born. 

Over the years I have formed the opinion that one of the biggest problems Scottish Football faces is people from towns and cities the length and breadth of Scotland supporting one or other of the big two. Every one of those people is a fan lost to one of the other clubs and that is how the gross inequality in our game is born and perpetuated. As someone who was born and brought up in Edinburgh, and is very proud to say they come from Edinburgh, I feel it is incumbent on me to support one of the Edinburgh teams. Because my auld man was a Jambo, it was Hearts for me. It was never going to be Hibernian. He wouldn't have allowed it. 

For me, supporting a team isn't about how many trophies your team wins. It is about a feeling of belonging and associating yourself with something you can feel proud of and passionate about. Hearts give me those feelings. In my lifetime I have watched both Rangers and Celtic win 9 in a row. I can honestly say that I am not sure I would even want to see Hearts do that. By the time you get to winning the league for the 7th, 8th and 9th time in a row you must almost become numb to winning it. There is no way that it can have the same emotional impact on you that I felt at Dens Park in 1986 or that every Hearts fan felt in May 1998 when Hearts won the Scottish Cup for the first time in decades. If Hearts won the league one time, it would be a day no Hearts fan would ever forget. That is how it should feel. 

I am in my 40s now and I am beginning to worry that I may never see Hearts win the league in my lifetime. If that's how things pan out then I will be very sad about that. But I will keep on supporting and keep on hoping. Safe in the knowledge that should it happen it will probably be the greatest day in my life. That is what makes supporting Hearts worthwhile. They say it's the hope that kills you but it's also the hope that keeps you going and makes it all worthwhile. 

Great post mate.

My dad was a hibby. Me and my brothers all grew up hearts fans. Sometimes you just know what is the right and natural thing to do! 

My kids will have no option its Hearts or nothing you can go support Celtic Ranger or Hibs but you won't be living in my house and you won't see them play because I wont be taken you 😆 So its simple its Hearts or nothing .

I remember as a kid if I was in trouble or pi$$ed my parents off my Mum and Dad would threaten me with if you don't behave you're no going to the football on Saturday. there was times it would be taken from me and seeing my dad and sister leaving for tynecastle would hurt me for days I'd sit in my room on a Saturday listening to the game on the radio. When I have a son and daughter it wont be taken from them because I knew how much it used to hurt me as a kid. 

20 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Never mind posters' kids, I was only 15 when I posted in this thread. :lol: 

On 06/09/2009 at 17:39, EG_Wanna_Be said:

I'm a twenty-three year old Canadian ex-pat who moved to Edinburgh two years ago to find out more about where my Mum is from. When I moved here, I thought 'soccer' was a load of rubbish, and was potentially the biggest waste of time, money, and energy going. I of course supported ice hockey, and still do keep my die-hard roots with my Canadian hockey club of choice, so to move to a place where there's no hockey worried me to say the least.

I moved to Green territory off the bat, without knowing it, living in Pilrig, and was still quite adament that football was rubbish, though I couldn't help but notice how much attention people paid to it on a daily basis. In the streets, on mobiles, on shop front windows, on lunchbreaks, on the bus... everywhere, people were chatting about the OF, and the Edinburgh clubs... Words about Gordon's move to Sunderland were everywhere, and I was starting to realise that not only was football a game, but it was more of a passion than anything else. I decided to give it a shot...

I asked one of the lads I worked with if he would mind taking me to see a game, as I was quite concerned about all the football violence, and hooliganism that you hear of. There were chats in the office about how I would be lucky to escape the game without getting strung up by away supporters, for I would be lucky enough to start my football supporting 'career' by seeing the bhoys come to Tynecastle. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, but it was such a rush to be living 'on the edge' over something as silly (don't think it's silly anymore) as a Mitre football.

We got tickets beside the Away supporters, in the so-called family zone, and I was told that because this would be my first football experience, we'd do it 'right'. My mate picked me up at 10am, and I was bursting with excitement. We made our way back to his to get the tickets, and then walked to the Westfield for a few pints... hold up... at 10am? You're damn right! We were three deep at the bar at 10:30 in the morning to get a pint... maybe, just maybe this could turn out to be something I would grow to like.

After meeting some of his mates, some of which weren't allowed to take in the sights and sounds of Tynecastle due to ongoing legal issues, I was told it was time to make our way to the park... as we started walking down Gorgie in a crowd of hundreds, I heard the faint noise of shouting coming from the rear. The sound grew louder, and before I knew it, a coach had caught up to us, though was slowed in the foot traffic around it. Through the windows were a plethora of green and white scarves, clovers, and a couple dozen neds going absolutely mental shaking the bus, pounding on the windows, singing, and shouting abuse at the hundreds of maroon sweaters surrounding them. This was my first taste of a passion for football, and even more-so, the first time I started to doubt what I was doing. I began to feel a little bit like a lamb headed for slaughter, completely ignorant to what I was going to see, hear, and feel when this all kicked off. It felt more like I was headed to the front lines of a war, rather than a sporting event...

They kicked off at something like 12:30, and soon after, songs started bouncing off the walls of Tynecastle, and I found myself immersed in an ocean of maroon, bouyantly singing in unison words to a song that managed to insult the opposition, the oppositions supporters, and the players themselves... now that was a talent! All thw while, I found myself surrounded by people shouting abuse at the referee, the players, each other... what a place to be on this very weekend!

As I remember it, I think the tims went up 1-0 just past half-time. I knew nothing of Celtic, but knew that along with Rangers, they were likely to be the biggest opposition I could have been watching, so to see a nil-nil draw by halftime was an achievement, and was worth celebrating. As the second half kicked off, the atmosphere was punctured with a goal from the green side. Having said that, it wasn't long after that the songs started again, again, such an incredible place to be, nevermind the fact that I could see the castle in the background!

Nearing the 90 minute mark, it was still 1-0 to the bad, and I was beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be watching what a celebration looked like for a goal from the home side... enter injury time! At the far end of the pitch, I checked my watch at the 91' mark, and watched a maroon jersey get dropped to the ground inside what I thought was a huge 'goalie crease', which was of course the 18 yard box, and meant that someone was going to the spot. Forgive me, as I don't remember names, but as I remember it, Velicka stepped up, and you could cut the tension with a knife. Even I knew what seemed to be riding on this... stealing even a point from the Old firm could make a world of difference to the city of Edinburgh on that given day. Velicka approached the ball, put his foot through it, and sent the keeper in the opposite direction, GOAL to Hearts!

Tynecastle erupted, and before I realised the ball was in the net, my mate was at the line of stewards holding in the away support. I was hugging and shaking fists at people I'd never even seen before, so excited, so relieved, and so passionate about something I thought I didn't even care about... lesson learned!

It may have only been a 1-1 draw with Celtic, but it was my first game, and the first time I had ever given half a thought to football. I have never looked back! I attended eight games last term, and have only been to one this young season, but have followed them on the telly, radio, and net throughout. I love my team, because they're mine. I look forward to every weekend, because there are genuine issues with the squad. What fun is it being the pretend manager for a club whose biggest issue is which ?5m international they should play. I like belonging to a club that is real. I love knowing that I shop in the same places, and eat in the same restaurants as the players I follow, and what I love most about Hearts is that I now live on Dalry, and feel as though I live in Jambo country. Week in, and week out we have a team that competes. We have a team surrounded by issues, but that's what makes it special to me, seeing that despite our inability to score goals, we can beat a European League Champ (albeit Croatian) 2-0, with a view to have tied/beaten them on aggregate.

I will be a Hearts supporter for the rest of my life. I live in Edinburgh, I support an Edinburgh team for 52 weeks of the year, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Through trials and tribulations, the JTs are my team, and I look forward to that 1-0 win over Kilmarnock the same as I do a win over Hibs at Easter Road, okay, maybe slightly less, but I love it just the same!

MON THE JAMBOS!

That's a belter! 

Glad you made the correct choice when picking a side.

On 06/09/2009 at 17:39, EG_Wanna_Be said:

MON THE JAMBOS!

That gave me goosebumps. 

sauchiejambo
On 05/09/2009 at 09:55, plastic_bas said:

I've been thinking of starting a thread for a while but I might just hi-jack this one if nobody minds.

If you move away from Edinburgh for work or whatever and start a family, would you still insist on the kids supporting Hearts?

I am always going on at people who grew up in Edinburgh yet don't support Hearts or Hibs but what if I bring my child up in Aberdeen or Dundee (heaven forbid)? I could never tell anyone to support another team but if they started to follow the local side I don't know if it would be right to stop them.

Anyone had this experience or have any thoughts on what they might do?

Aye, brought my kids up in Alloa, the oldest still supports Hearts, the youngest started going to Alloa with his pal, so I felt it would be hypocritical of me to complain.....but Funking Alloa...ach at least its no hibs!

On 05/09/2009 at 09:55, plastic_bas said:

I've been thinking of starting a thread for a while but I might just hi-jack this one if nobody minds.

If you move away from Edinburgh for work or whatever and start a family, would you still insist on the kids supporting Hearts?

I am always going on at people who grew up in Edinburgh yet don't support Hearts or Hibs but what if I bring my child up in Aberdeen or Dundee (heaven forbid)? I could never tell anyone to support another team but if they started to follow the local side I don't know if it would be right to stop them.

Anyone had this experience or have any thoughts on what they might do?

My dad moved away down south and then moved back up and settled in Perthshire where i was brought up and lived ever since.

Mid 80's was quite an exciting time to start going to the football as a young Hearts fan so i was hooked straight away.

I live halfway between Perth and Dundee so i never forced a team on my two kids although i did rule Dundee out !!!

Luckily they chose the right path and got their first season tickets for the championship season and have not looked back.

CalgaryJambo

My Dad used to lift me over the turnstiles. He’d leave me at the wall with other Jambo kids and he’d stand further up the terrace. Texaco Cup. Donald Ford and Eric Carruthers - great to grow up in the 70’s.

• 1 month later...
Craigieboy

I’m hardly ever on here these days but picked this up with the wee notification thing at the top. 

Well, what can I say. I remember posting this. It’s funny as it was 12 years ago. My kids were about 7 and 5. I had one the year after I posted this. So 3 Jambos. 

Seems like my own passion for Hearts and football has diminished a little. life and age just makes my obsession with Hearts seem so far removed from how I see things today. Not to go on but as an example, prior to the cup final last week I couldn’t have really cared if Hibs won or lost. 

Or so I thought.......

Once the game began I despised them with every bit hatred I had in the past. I wanted them to lose badly. The manner of their defeat was satisfying. The joy I took from their misery was affirming. 

Still, I don’t care as much from day to day. 

The one thing I’ll say is that my then 7 year old daughter is now 19. She’s not been to games for years. The odd cup final aside she hasn’t been a regular. I sent her that season ticket video today and she says that she wants to come back. “I miss going dad,” she said. She clearly has huge attachment to Hearts. 

And she added that she can now have a drink in the Diggers before the game. I’m looking forward to that. 

My work was done back then. 

And her having a season ticket would get it right around her Hibs ***t boyfriend. 

🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Craigieboy

The Treasurer

As a fourth generation Hearts fan it never occurred to me to be anything else.

Do I regret it?

Not for one second 

Maple Leaf
16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

As a fourth generation Hearts fan it never occurred to me to be anything else.

Do I regret it?

Not for one second 

Similar with me.  My family ties to Hearts go back to the late 1800s and I've been a Hearts supporter since I was 6 years old.

I would never be anything else.  If we hadn't come out of Administration a few years ago I would have walked away from football permanently.

On 05/09/2009 at 20:14, superjack said:

my daughter was born after i moved to lewis and at first was not interested in football.

when she started school 2 years ago all the other kids liked rangers.

after a while , she told me that she liked rangers.

i started explaining to her why i am a jambo(they were my local team when i was a bairn,my mothers grandfather played for them in the 30's,it is a family tradition etc etc)

it was a long road and i am still driving down that road but we are getting there.

hearts are her number1 team , hibs are a swearword in our house , she always calls the mhanks smelltic but she says she still likes rangers.

hoping to have that last bit beating out of her soon

What a bump this is. I forgot my daughter had me worried 12 years ago about liking rangers. She's 18 now and can't be arsed with football, although she always asks me about the hearts score.

Wasn't on kb in 2009 but nice to read through this! Get the feeling though, if the OP was made today all we'd see in reply is "didn't happen" "aye right then" etc

Edited by WDJ87

Doctor FinnBarr
On 06/09/2009 at 18:32, Miller Jambo 60 said:

Every word was from the Heart, well said that man.

Doug.:2thumbsup:

We jambos are the best.

Whatever did happen to this guy?