Team (and reasons) for Saturday

We_are_the_Hearts

We_are_the_Hearts

Time for Wallace to get a game ahead of Goncalves.

We need to keep Jonsson in the team to combat the energy that the Motherwell midfield has.

Porter caused us a lot of problems with his aerial ability and strength the last time. Time for Zailukas to replace Karipidis.

We need 2 up front to keep the pressure on their defence, especially given the state of the pitch, we need the option to be able to go long.

On that basis:

Banks

Neilsen-Berra-Zailukas-Wallace

Kingston-Jonsson-Palazuelos-Driver

Nade-Velicka

Subs: Basso-Karipidis-McGowan-Cesney-Miko-Stewart-Beniusis

Ogi fae Gorgie
Time for Wallace to get a game ahead of Goncalves. Disagree

We need to keep Jonsson in the team to combat the energy that the Motherwell midfield has. Agree

Porter caused us a lot of problems with his aerial ability and strength the last time. Time for Zailukas to replace Karipidis. Agree/\Disagree

We need 2 up front to keep the pressure on their defence, especially given the state of the pitch, we need the option to be able to go long. Agree

On that basis:

Banks

Nade-Velicka

WatH - tend to disagree and agree with some of your points.

Is Kingston really fit? Maybe give him 20 minutes at the end of the game would be more effective

Banks

Neilson-Karipidis-Berra-Wallace

Driver-Jonsson-Stewart-Palazuelos

Nade-Velicka

I expect Frail to play

Banks

Neilson-Karipidis-Berra-Goncalves

Chesney-Stewart-Palazuelos-Driver

Ksnavicius

Velicka

RunrigLovinJambo
Is Kingston really fit? Maybe give him 20 minutes at the end of the game would be more effective

Banks

Neilson-Karipidis-Berra-Wallace

Driver-Jonsson-Stewart-Palazuelos

Nade-Velicka

I expect Frail to play

Banks

Neilson-Karipidis-Berra-Goncalves

Chesney-Stewart-Palazuelos-Driver

Ksnavicius

Velicka

I think Frail will play that team as well. I don't think Larry will be fit enough for the whole game on Sat.

Don't agree with Zal to replace Karipidis. It's not our centre defence where the problem is.

brellierlegend

We need to keep Jonsson in the team to combat the energy that the Motherwell midfield has.

Porter caused us a lot of problems with his aerial ability and strength the last time. Time for Zailukas to replace Karipidis.

We need 2 up front to keep the pressure on their defence, especially given the state of the pitch, we need the option to be able to go long.

On that basis:

Banks

Nade-Velicka

Disagree with most of this. Goncalves has been poor but I seriously do not think Wallace is any better so I'd probably just leave it as it is.

Agree that Eggert should be in the team.

Do not think that Zaliukas should be anywhere near the team.

Finally I do not think we can play two up front from the start as Motherwell play a 4-3-3 and our midfield would struggle as the wide guys do not seem to have the ability to tuck in and help out the central guys.

I am also not sure if Kingston will be fit enough to start so on that basis I think the team should be:-

------------------Banks------------------

Neilson-----Karipidis----Berra----Goncalves

-----------------Eggert-------------------

-----------Stewart----Ruben--------------

Cesnauskis--------------------------Driver

----------------Velicka--------------------

Nelly Terraces

Some very average rubbishy players to be dropped, some rubbish averagey players to be picked. Ensure defence gives away normal sloppy goals and leave to rest for 90 minutes.

Motherwell at a canter.

NT.

PS, who said pick Zali? Blimey.

We_are_the_Hearts
Time for Zailukas to replace Karipidis.

What has Karipidis done to deserve being dropped? Zal is a bombscare!!

Horses for courses. Karipidis looks weak in the air to me and can get shoved about. Motherwell like to get the ball forward to Porter and he either flicks it wide or holds it up for the runners. Think Zailukas is better equipped for dealing with him than Karipidis. Just highlights how badly we need a GOOD central defender though!! As well as a RB, etc, etc!

We_are_the_Hearts

We tried that in the Cup tie and were abysmal first half. Only when we went 2 up top did we get any joy

I think the combination of Motherwells defence (generally big but a bit slow) and the state of their pitch make it an ideal opportunity to play two up front so i'd give big Benny a start and play him alongside Velicka.

Agree with the OP about the need to keep pressure on their defence and keep them occupied and hopefully that will give our back four a few less to deal with

Say What Again

Totally disagree.

Karapidis has strolled through the majority of our recent games and in know way deserves to be dropped for Zaliukas.

Say What Again

Assuming Kingston isn't fit enough to start, that would be my team too.

We_are_the_Hearts
Assuming Kingston isn't fit enough to start, that would be my team too.

You obviously weren't at the Cup Replay:eek:

what aboout:

Kurskis

Barasa

Zaliukas

Kizys

Kanchelskis

Mikoluinas

Ivaskevicius

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskis

Velicka

Beniusis

bench: Pilibaitis, Klimek, Jankauskas another 2 lithuanians - i'd like Cinikas and Sanajevas

There is still time to get these guys on loan!

On that basis:

Banks

Nade-Velicka

Is that you vlad ?

Team I would play:

Banks

Thomson

Karapidis

Berra

Goncalves

Kingston

Palazeulos

Jonsson

Driver

Nade

Velicka

Subs: Bjarnsson, Neilson, Wallace, Cesnauskis, Beniusis

We_are_the_Hearts
Is that you vlad ?

Do you think Karipidis will be able to cope with Porters aerial ability and strength? He has struggled twice recently in the Cup. Would be harsh on him but sometimes different players suit different opponents/styles.

Do you think Karipidis will be able to cope with Porters aerial ability and strength? He has struggled twice recently in the Cup. Would be harsh on him but sometimes different players suit different opponents/styles.

Berra usually matches up with the target man in the oppo team.

And yes Berra can cope.

You've also ignored the fact that Berra has looked a lot more solid when partnered by Karipidis. Whereas when Zali was in the team both he and Berra were having bombscare moments regularly

So the sum of the two parts in central defence says Karipidis and Berra.

Even when Tall is back I'd put him in at right back if Kari keeps his form up

I'd play;

GK - Banks because he has an authority over his defenders and trust from them which is something that none of our other keepers will have. If Frail wants to make a change about who is our number one, it would be better to do that during pre-season, not when every game is a must win.

RB - Robbie Neilson because; correct me if I'm mistaken but the only player to have played every game this season. If this is true he has played with every combination of defenders and he'll know who to trust with the ball and where positionally everyone is which helps with offsides etc.

CDR - If Tall had played one or 2 reserve games since his injury I'd be tempted to throw him back in, he is great in the air, wins 80% of high balls which will be a tactic likely to be used by both teams. Zaliukas has played a few reserve games since his suspension. He will be returning to a settled side which may show his better side of his game rather than 2 months ago when we were struggling, everyone was making mistakes including him, I wouldn't be too upset if he played, but I may be slightly dis-heartened if Karipidis was dropped. He has played really well and deserves his place in the squad at least. Although, I will trust Frail's opinion, if he feels Zaliukas will add more positives then let him play, it will be a big gamble because if we don't get the right result, you will be blamed.

CDL - Berra, a good defender and improving more and more.

LB - Jose or Wallace? Goncalves has been a part of this defence for a while now and I think we've had enough time to judge him in our own ways. Some say he is bad positionally, some say he can't kick a ball but others say he is an athlete with great pace and a composed defender. In this Motherwell game, I'd have to go for Goncalves. Motherwell will be playing the long ball tactic for the majority of the game, if a ball is played to the left (Motherwell's right wing) the player has to control the ball then either play it or start running, within 3 seconds Jose has run from the middle of the park to the winger, if he gets beat, the left winger should be tracking back to tackle the Motherwell player.

RM - I'd like to see Cesnauskis start. He done his job against Celtic and has greater ability than Miko to controll the ball on an awkward surface.

CMR - I'd like to see Jonsson play. Stewart has been poor when passing the ball, he always hits it too far or away from the player. In this game passing is the main tactic from both teams and we will not be able to keep getting it wrong, also Stewart had an injury last week, it may be wise to give him a reserve game or 2 in the next few weeks.

CML - Ruben. In a match all about passing, he MUST play. A superb distributer of the ball.

LM - It should be Driver, he will get more space than he did against Celtic and he will be able to create even more.

ST1 - Velicka, top scorer, always a threat.

ST2 - Nade, he is great on the ball and can carve out chances for others and himself, which will be important against a good Motherwell defence.

Banks

Neilson Zal/Karipidis Berra Goncalves

Cesnauskis Jonsson Palazuelos Driver

Velicka Nade

Kingston to come on for one of the strikers later on, playing behind the striker.

We_are_the_Hearts
Berra usually matches up with the target man in the oppo team.

And yes Berra can cope.

You've also ignored the fact that Berra has looked a lot more solid when partnered by Karipidis. Whereas when Zali was in the team both he and Berra were having bombscare moments regularly

So the sum of the two parts in central defence says Karipidis and Berra.

Even when Tall is back I'd put him in at right back if Kari keeps his form up

The only defender I rate at the club is Tall. Dealing with Porter on Saturday is a concern after the last game and a half he played against us.

On that basis:

Banks

Nade-Velicka

Are you suggesting Zaliukas is good in the air? Can't have been watching him much this season...

zaliukas may not have had a great season so far but neither has robbie, berra, Jose or stewart - why can the so called fans on this site just get off zal's back!!! All of a sudden he is a bad player - there is not one player in the hearts squad who has played well all season!

The team will be the usual suspects - I would like to see a couple of youngsters given a run for experience plus a bit of freshness to the side wouldn't go amiss Mr Frail

-------------------------Banks----------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

---------Tall----------- Berra ------ Karipidis------Gonclaves

------------------------------------------------------l-----

----------------------------------------------------- l------

--------------------Palezuelos------------------------l-------

-------------------------------------Aguiar-----------l-------

----------------------------------------l---------------------

-- Cesnauskis (sub Miko 60)------------- l---------------Driver

--------- \--------------------------------------------- /

---------- \--------Kingston--------------------------- / ----

------------\----------/------------------------------/------

-------------\------- /------Velicka--------------------------

I'd play;

GK - Banks because he has an authority over his defenders and trust from them which is something that none of our other keepers will have. If Frail wants to make a change about who is our number one, it would be better to do that during pre-season, not when every game is a must win.

RB - Robbie Neilson because; correct me if I'm mistaken but the only player to have played every game this season. If this is true he has played with every combination of defenders and he'll know who to trust with the ball and where positionally everyone is which helps with offsides etc.

CDR - If Tall had played one or 2 reserve games since his injury I'd be tempted to throw him back in, he is great in the air, wins 80% of high balls which will be a tactic likely to be used by both teams. Zaliukas has played a few reserve games since his suspension. He will be returning to a settled side which may show his better side of his game rather than 2 months ago when we were struggling, everyone was making mistakes including him, I wouldn't be too upset if he played, but I may be slightly dis-heartened if Karipidis was dropped. He has played really well and deserves his place in the squad at least. Although, I will trust Frail's opinion, if he feels Zaliukas will add more positives then let him play, it will be a big gamble because if we don't get the right result, you will be blamed.

CDL - Berra, a good defender and improving more and more.

LB - Jose or Wallace? Goncalves has been a part of this defence for a while now and I think we've had enough time to judge him in our own ways. Some say he is bad positionally, some say he can't kick a ball but others say he is an athlete with great pace and a composed defender. In this Motherwell game, I'd have to go for Goncalves. Motherwell will be playing the long ball tactic for the majority of the game, if a ball is played to the left (Motherwell's right wing) the player has to control the ball then either play it or start running, within 3 seconds Jose has run from the middle of the park to the winger, if he gets beat, the left winger should be tracking back to tackle the Motherwell player.

RM - I'd like to see Cesnauskis start. He done his job against Celtic and has greater ability than Miko to controll the ball on an awkward surface.

CMR - I'd like to see Jonsson play. Stewart has been poor when passing the ball, he always hits it too far or away from the player. In this game passing is the main tactic from both teams and we will not be able to keep getting it wrong, also Stewart had an injury last week, it may be wise to give him a reserve game or 2 in the next few weeks.

CML - Ruben. In a match all about passing, he MUST play. A superb distributer of the ball.

LM - It should be Driver, he will get more space than he did against Celtic and he will be able to create even more.

ST1 - Velicka, top scorer, always a threat.

ST2 - Nade, he is great on the ball and can carve out chances for others and himself, which will be important against a good Motherwell defence.

Banks

Neilson Zal/Karipidis Berra Goncalves

Cesnauskis Jonsson Palazuelos Driver

Velicka Nade

Kingston to come on for one of the strikers later on, playing behind the striker.

I'd play Kingston in the hole instead of Nade....no probs with Zal playing 'cos I do think he's better in the air than either Berra or Karipidis (but don't expect him to be first choice this week)

I'd play Kingston in the hole instead of Nade....no probs with Zal playing 'cos I do think he's better in the air than either Berra or Karipidis (but don't expect him to be first choice this week)

I was thinking about playing Kingston but he is just recovering from an injury which may return, even if he did play, both teams will be playing high balls because of the pitch, Kingston will be missed out in midfield, it would be a waste of a player, that is why I would play Nade who can hold the ball up up front. Then bring on Kingston with about 20 minutes to go, someone who can both distribute the ball and score goals from midfield.

Banks - although Basso has a better goals-let-in per game ratio, he has no repect from the fans

Neilson - best RB we have, gives experince and team spirit

Berra - he's the captain

Karapidis - because Zalis poor and Kanchelskis and tall havent had much reserve action since injurys

Wallace - because joses awful

Chesney - because miko is more of an "impact" player than him

Palazeulos - i dont think i need to say anything about this guy

Jonsson - Becasue hes better than stewart

Driver - he can change games, generally scores early so subbing has little impact

Velikca - top scorer

Nade - only other decent striker

SUBS: Basso, Kanchelskis, Wallace, Miko, Stewart, Larry, Elliot

if we are 2 goals up with 15 mins left put larry in for pala/jonsson (whoevers played worse) and Kanchelskis in for karapidis (unless hes been world class)

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Jose

Kingston

Palazeulos

Jonsson

Driver

Velikca

Nade

That team is good enough to win IMO, can't same the same about the manager or the players desire.

Banks

Goncalves

Neilson

Berra

Karipidis

Driver

Cesnauskis

Jonsson

Palazeulos

Velicka

Nade

Kingston (if fit, not convinced he will be) Stewart, Miko, Benny can all be used from the bench.

Please Frail, no Zaliukas or Elliot.

........................................Banks.......................................

Neilson................Karipidis..................Berra................Wallace

......................................Palazuelos....................................

Cesnauskas........................Kingston.............................Driver

............................Velicka..................Elliot..........................

i cannot believe some are talking about zal being good in the air. i have watched him misjudge and lose more headers than any other ch this season. Lk is better in the air

i cannot believe some are talking about zal being good in the air. i have watched him misjudge and lose more headers than any other ch this season. Lk is better in the air

He's been a complete liability at times this season and cost us a few points into the bargin. Stick with the present pairing.

Tall (if fit)---Karapidis---Berra---Goncalves

Driver------Eggert----Ruben------Wallace

-----------Velicka-----Nade-------------

Kingston last 30.

Miko as well depending on score (I think he has shown flashes that he is coming onto a bit of form, maybe- and Chesney has been off form)

Tall (if fit)---Karapidis---Berra---Goncalves

Driver------Eggert----Ruben------Wallace

-----------Velicka-----Nade-------------

Kingston last 30.

Miko as well depending on score (I think he has shown flashes that he is coming onto a bit of form, maybe- and Chesney has been off form)

If fit, Kingston for Driver and we would have a very good team.

The longer Wallace is out of the team the better he gets. He's had his chance this season and never showed himself to be an improvement on the poor Goncalves. I see little reason to drastically change the team that lost to Celtic.

Banks

Neilson

Karipidis

Berra

Goncalves

Cesnauskis

Kingston

Palazeulos

Driver

Nade

Velicka

I'd go with an attack minded team. Two wingers and two strikers. I think we should do this to signal intent to how we are going to play this team. We are going to attack and play football and try to prove a point to ourselves and our fans that we are a better side than Motherwell.

Do this and win and we hold onto the belief (and slightest hope) of qualifying for Europe this season.

totally agree.

he was looking good along side berra last season, but this season he has been guilty of letting the ball bounce before heading it! this has happened on more that a few occasions and has led to goals against!

banks

neilson karipedis berra goncalves

kingston palazuelos stewart driver

velicka nade

The longer Wallace is out of the team the better he gets. He's had his chance this season and never showed himself to be an improvement on the poor Goncalves. I see little reason to drastically change the team that lost to Celtic.

Banks

Neilson

Karipidis

Berra

Goncalves

Cesnauskis

Kingston

Palazeulos

Driver

Nade

Velicka

I'd go with an attack minded team. Two wingers and two strikers. I think we should do this to signal intent to how we are going to play this team. We are going to attack and play football and try to prove a point to ourselves and our fans that we are a better side than Motherwell.

Do this and win and we hold onto the belief (and slightest hope) of qualifying for Europe this season.

Yeah that would be something like my team.

The only changes I would consider making to that would be Kingston for Chesney or Driver and play Jonsson in the middle.

zaliukas may not have had a great season so far but neither has robbie, berra, Jose or stewart - why can the so called fans on this site just get off zal's back!!! All of a sudden he is a bad player - there is not one player in the hearts squad who has played well all season!

Zaliukas is utter mince ..... here endeth the lesson.

Nelly Terraces

Most of the players mentioned on this thread are utter gash. I'm sick of actually reading their names in connection with our club. Stewart, Miko, Zali, etc etc blah, blah, ***** blah. Same old pash every week. Bottom 6 players the lot.

He's always been a bad player.

He was talked up on here after Elvis left as some sort of justifucation for dumping Elvis.

We_are_the_Hearts
He's always been a bad player.

He was talked up on here after Elvis left as some sort of justifucation for dumping Elvis.

He has had a bad season and needed a lengthy spell on the sidelines to buck up his ideas.

Craig Levein thinks he is one of the best defenders in the SPL so the raw essentials are there.

He is still our best option for dealing with a physical striker though.

We miss Tall in the defence as he is our best defender by far.

Guest JamboRobbo

Team - couldn't care less.

Reasons - we're utterly ****e, the season was over weeks ago, and it ain't gonna make the slightest bit of difference what the team is tomorrow.

Team - couldn't care less.

Reasons - we're utterly ****e, the season was over weeks ago, and it ain't gonna make the slightest bit of difference what the team is tomorrow.

Och cheer up! ;) ;) ;) ;)

think the team wont differ too much from darkheid tbh, given frails comments during the week.

stewart may be back for chesney, only because chesney was so dire for 45 mins last week.

wallace should be given a chance instead of Goncalves, but otherwise the same side.

would like us to play two out an out forwards (Nade & velicka) but it aint gonna happen (as Ksanavicius had a decent game last week) but surley we can accomodate all three if we want to be the team we think we should be, i.e. challenging the OF for the title. :)

He has had a bad season and needed a lengthy spell on the sidelines to buck up his ideas.

Craig Levein thinks he is one of the best defenders in the SPL so the raw essentials are there.

He is still our best option for dealing with a physical striker though.

We miss Tall in the defence as he is our best defender by far.

???????

If Craig Levein rates him so highly, why hasn't he been trying to sign him!?

& if Zaliukas is our 'best option' at anything, then it just proves what poor players we have at the moment!!!

We_are_the_Hearts
???????

If Craig Levein rates him so highly, why hasn't he been trying to sign him!?

& if Zaliukas is our 'best option' at anything, then it just proves what poor players we have at the moment!!!

He has said it a couple of times on Setanta. Levein couldn't afford him, you know what Vlads valuations are like!!:eek:

I agree with your best option point. We are really struggling for defenders.

Nelly Terraces
Och cheer up! ;) ;) ;) ;)

think the team wont differ too much from darkheid tbh, given frails comments during the week.

stewart may be back for chesney, only because chesney was so dire for 45 mins last week.wallace should be given a chance instead of Goncalves, but otherwise the same side.

would like us to play two out an out forwards (Nade & velicka) but it aint gonna happen (as Ksanavicius had a decent game last week) but surley we can accomodate all three if we want to be the team we think we should be, i.e. challenging the OF for the title. :)

You just answered the geezers point there mate. Chesney gash one week, Stewart comes in, equally gash the next.

You can swap all these duds around all you want, and folk can go on and on:blah::blah::blah: about which players are better than others, but the end result is, these players are tripe and need getting rid of asap.

peebles jambo

time to drop both full backs, reasons, they're gash, end of, midfield will sort itself, who knows what team emptyheed will put out, but no doubt, no one on here will agree with him

Archived