30 years trying to find a pair of Adidas trainers and.....

Tazio

ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

Bear with me on this as it is a sad and tragic story.

When I was in primary school Starsky And Hutch was the must see Saturday night TV show. For me one of the highlights was Starsky wearing the coolest trainers I had ever seen (evidence above)

I have wanted a pair of Adidas like that ever since. Despite years of searching they never did one that was "just what I wanted".

Yet I saw these in Schuh a couple of days ago and they were perfect. Just what I had been looking for all of these years. So today I finished work early and headed to Schuh to buy a pair.

I got there and they didn't have the blue ones. Not a problem as they could get me a pair from Aberdeen in 2 days. Result. So I tried on the brown ones in stock to get a size match. So I slipped them on, looked down at my feet and...........

Nightmare, they looked all wrong. I have very small feet and they looked ridiculous, skinny little pointy feet. Nothing like Dave Starsky.

Thirty fecking years wasted searching out my dream shoe and they didn't suit me.

Bummed.

Went to USC over the road and bought a par of Diesel trainers in the sale.

Jam Tarts 1874

I think Starsky's (and indeed all trainers back in the 70's) were a bit more basic and therefore much more cool than the multi-faceted rip-offs that one sees in the stores these days.

starskyHutch.jpg

Adidas SL76?

got a pair a few years ago myself and i have to agree they don`t look as good as they did on Starskey.

but you have to remember he was a wee guy with wee feet, the proportions are all different, especially if you throw on a pair of boot cut levis and a knitted cardy.

Adidas SL76?

SL72. The SL76 was indeed the one but I missed it, so the SL72 was close enough. Sadly my size 7 feet didn't work for it.

try crookedtongues.com

you get loads of reissues and limited edition stuff on there, it`s were i buy all my kicks these days (which is admittedly way too much)

Buffalo Bill

Hard lines, Tazio: that sucks.

I too was in Schuh over the summer and decided to go retro.

3405267220_exlg.jpg

Jings! Obviously my teenage choice of footwear (addidas Kick) has long since become redundant!

The kick was the choice when I started secondary. The Starsky shoe thing transcended fashion.

Jeez - a 30-year dream...crumbled. Commiserations.

Couldn't you have just got a bigger pair and walked around Jacques Cousteau-ishly?

*sigh...enters reminisce mode*...I mind when the only German phrase I knew (apart from those in Commando magazines) came from my big brother's Sambas box...'die marke mit den 3 streifen'

Adidas-TRX-Runner-Blue.jpg

picked up a pair of these recently, been lookin for a while. Now just need a pair of Nike Air Max TMs and my collection will be nearing completion although that means i need some shelves in the spare room, or a bloody great big display cabinet.

Miller Jambo 60
ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

When I was in primary school Starsky And Hutch was the must see Saturday night TV show. For me one of the highlights was Starsky wearing the coolest trainers I had ever seen (evidence above)

I have wanted a pair of Adidas like that ever since. Despite years of searching they never did one that was "just what I wanted".

Yet I saw these in Schuh a couple of days ago and they were perfect. Just what I had been looking for all of these years. So today I finished work early and headed to Schuh to buy a pair.

I got there and they didn't have the blue ones. Not a problem as they could get me a pair from Aberdeen in 2 days. Result. So I tried on the brown ones in stock to get a size match. So I slipped them on, looked down at my feet and...........

Nightmare, they looked all wrong. I have very small feet and they looked ridiculous, skinny little pointy feet. Nothing like Dave Starsky.

Thirty fecking years wasted searching out my dream shoe and they didn't suit me.

Bummed.

Got my sambas,do for me.

...Thirty fecking years wasted searching out my dream shoe and they didn't suit me.

Bummed.

Unlucky Taz but instead of selling your soul and buying Diesel trainers, you should have bought these instead.

They're way cooler than either the SL 72 or SL76.

I think Starsky's (and indeed all trainers back in the 70's) were a bit more basic and therefore much more cool than the multi-faceted rip-offs that one sees in the stores these days.

starskyHutch.jpg

And, more than likely made in the USA or Germany, unlike the versions in today's market.

Captain_Peacock
They are smart as - could be a pay day purchase!

Paid ?75 + carriage to get them from a firm in Austria.

2 months later for sale in the UK for ?50 here http://www.freemans.com/web/main/ProductDisplay.asp?An=0&N=0&Au=P_MasterItem&Nu=P_MasterItem&A=871927_12&cm_mmc=GOOGLEBASE-_-Froogle-_-Mens/Sportswear/Trainers-_-871927&catreqmedia=FP242&ordermedia=FG242&name=20PERCENT&orderoffercode=DQJP&entry=1

Navy Blue / Sky Blue Argentina's look cracking. On the look out now for a pair of addidas stockholm

Paid ?75 + carriage to get them from a firm in Austria.

2 months later for sale in the UK for ?50 here http://www.freemans.com/web/main/ProductDisplay.asp?An=0&N=0&Au=P_MasterItem&Nu=P_MasterItem&A=871927_12&cm_mmc=GOOGLEBASE-_-Froogle-_-Mens/Sportswear/Trainers-_-871927&catreqmedia=FP242&ordermedia=FG242&name=20PERCENT&orderoffercode=DQJP&entry=1

Navy Blue / Sky Blue Argentina's look cracking. On the look out now for a pair of addidas stockholm

got a pair of them in amsterdam in canary yellow with white stripes for 15 quid a few years back, also have them in a kinda stone washed blue with pale yellow stripes (both look way better than they may sound). Good comfy walking shoes and pretty hard wearing, `cept for they do mark up quite easy due to colours.

good honest low profile adidas sillohette, similar to gazelles but less people have them, nice exclusivity (if thats important to you).

You are all annoying me now. Mrs BigAndyK just got me my birthday pressie early, a portable hard drive, but because of this thread I want these too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADIDAS-NIZZA-CLASSIC-CANVAS-TRAINERS/dp/B002MJJYBS/ref=pop?ie=UTF8&ssv=size_name%3A12%20UK

Had a pair 31 years ago, but I dont play football now so I think they should last longer than the 2 weeks I had them.

• 2 weeks later...
You are all annoying me now. Mrs BigAndyK just got me my birthday pressie early, a portable hard drive, but because of this thread I want these too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADIDAS-NIZZA-CLASSIC-CANVAS-TRAINERS/dp/B002MJJYBS/ref=pop?ie=UTF8&ssv=size_name%3A12%20UK

Had a pair 31 years ago, but I dont play football now so I think they should last longer than the 2 weeks I had them.

Sorry to quote myself but the good lady seen the error of her ways and I got them too.

So I'm not annoyed with you any more :10900:

ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

Agreed ' date=' this is a tragic story.[/b']

Adidas-TRX-Runner-Blue.jpg

picked up a pair of these recently, been lookin for a while. Now just need a pair of Nike Air Max TMs and my collection will be nearing completion although that means i need some shelves in the spare room, or a bloody great big display cabinet.

and tradgey heaped upon tradegy

ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

Bummed.

Things always look bigger on the telly... :stuart:

Got these for work, I'm a PE teacher. It's a nightmare trying to find a decent pair of trainers that aren't red or yellow these days!

12304340_l.jpg

Thinking about these for with jeans and a night out

zoom.asp?i_code=3405857150&name=Cabana Racer Ii

How annoying when links don't work!

Craig Gordons Gloves

i know the feeling with searching for adidas trainers. However, earlier this year came to my now annual purchase of a pair of superstars - every store i went to only had the white with black stripes or the special ones with loads of colors on them.

Imagine my joy when i found a pair of white superstars with maroon stripes. Totally classic superstars and only $60. It was the same delight i felt when finding a pair of red gazelles in New York 3 years ago.

Adidas originals rock!

(cant find a picture, but they are the coolest shell toes i ever did see!)

ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

Bummed.

My recomendation would be to get a pair of jeans that are narrower at the bottom - thus giving the illusion of bigger feet!

Just a thought.

Never mind the '70s and Starsky and Hutch footwear. By the time the '80s came around the coolest thing on TV was Michael Knight's talking car.

Now everybody seems to have one and what do they say "In 200 metres veer left, At the roundabout take the 3rd exit... You have reached your destination"

That like totally sucks, where are the sardonic one liners? Why doesn't it say things like "I've calculated that our chances of getting a parking space in time to make kick off are 1 in 23.6" and where's the cool red light on the front?

A generation of schoolboys have been betrayed

• 4 years later...

Thread resurrection.

I was shoe shopping yesterday and though sod it and got a pair of SL-72 anyway. And they look fine.

Also it turns out the Starsky originals were SL-72 but different to what they are selling now under the same name.

adidas_beckenbauer_all_blac.jpg

Had these for about 4 years and still not found another pair of trainers I would wear instead!

Unsurprisingly I too own these trainers. Love them.......

Then......

My wife wore them to do gardening......

She doesn't know how close she came to coming home from work to find a polythene sheet, a saw and a suitcase in the living room.

• 5 years later...
On 28/08/2009 at 21:55, chewbacca said:

Adidas SL76?

got a pair a few years ago myself and i have to agree they don`t look as good as they did on Starskey.

but you have to remember he was a wee guy with wee feet, the proportions are all different, especially if you throw on a pair of boot cut levis and a knitted cardy.

If you ever want to sell them - let me know I'm a size 9/9.5

On 17/02/2014 at 20:56, Der Kaiser said:

Unsurprisingly I too own these trainers. Love them.......

Then......

My wife wore them to do gardening......

She doesn't know how close she came to coming home from work to find a polythene sheet, a saw and a suitcase in the living room.

Only fair if you wear her pants to do the dishes.

On 28/08/2009 at 21:48, Tazio said:

ADIDAS-SL-72-08--07.jpg

Bummed.

there was an adidas docu on a while ago looking at the history of them and there was a shop in Argentina filled top to bottom with thousands of Pairs of adidas from the 70s and 80s. Was quite interesting tbh. I mean doesn’t help you but still.....

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Had these as a kid

7dc3011cf6ded47e9b344244cf6bea21.jpg

Adidas Kicks? Had a few pairs also. Lasted better than Puma Match (black, white puma stripe with gum sole) from the same era. 

Suspect Device
7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Had these as a kid

7dc3011cf6ded47e9b344244cf6bea21.jpg

Loved these as a kid, preffered them to the Bamba/Sambas too

can you get them anywhere now? 

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Loved these as a kid, preffered them to the Bamba/Sambas too

can you get them anywhere now? 

I've got white ones with blue stripes that I ordered online.

Haven't come across the black originals for sale over the last few years.

I had a pair of Chile 62 (black and white with red trim) that I absolutely adored.

Wore them out and was gutted when Adidas stopped making them.

Still hurts to this day