HD TV

JamboTron

This may have been covered before, but here goes;

Just got a 37" Samsung flatscreen and am currently speaking to Sky about getting a package from them(phone/broadband/tv).

Is it worth getting their HD box? I'm only gonna get Sky Sports 1. No movies. It's quite a bit more than the standard Sky+ box.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Tron

From what I've heard, the Sky HD isn't really worth it yet.

There just aren't enough channels showing HD content, although Sky Sports do have an HD channel, so have a look and see what games/programmes they show on that channel, and that may swing the decision for you...

The only way to get proper High Definition signals to get the best from your new TV, is to subscribe either to Sky HD or Virgin Media HD, they are the only transmitters of HD signals in the UK.

There are an increasing number of HD broadcasts currently available, & more are planned.

I'm currently looking at buying a 1080P HD TV & definitely will upgrade to SKY HD. IMO theres little point in getting an HDTV if your not getting full HD pictures broadcast.

Please bear in mind you should upgrade your DVD player/recorder to an HD DVD/Blue ray equivalent,that way your movie watching experience will be much enhanced.

Before I buy my set, I've been buying a few mags on the topic & it appears that the people in the know reckon that Blue Ray is likely to win out over HD DVD as a result of one of the major film distributors moving exclusively to blue ray format.

hope this helps

From what I've heard, the Sky HD isn't really worth it yet.

There just aren't enough channels showing HD content, although Sky Sports do have an HD channel, so have a look and see what games/programmes they show on that channel, and that may swing the decision for you...

2 Movie channels

2 Sports channels

Sky 1 HD

Channel 4 HD

BBC HD

Discovery HD

National Geo HD

Sky Arts HD

History channel HD

And Box Office HD.

Thos channels make it worth while IMO. Add to that it is almost pointless getting a HD TV and not using a HD signal.

Sky HD is superb! You have to get it, but you have to get all the channels. Football is so much better, and the movies are great too! Things like Lost are also in HD.

Would definitely advise anyone to get Sky HD.

Homer_Salvatori

Before I buy my set, I've been buying a few mags on the topic & it appears that the people in the know reckon that Blue Ray is likely to win out over HD DVD as a result of one of the major film distributors moving exclusively to blue ray format.

hope this helps

Blu Ray has won officially. Toshiba have stopped making HD DVD announced yesterday. Unfortunate for anyone who has invested in an HD DVD player.

2 Movie channels

2 Sports channels

Sky 1 HD

Channel 4 HD

BBC HD

Discovery HD

National Geo HD

Sky Arts HD

History channel HD

And Box Office HD.

+ Sky Sports HD3 launches on 17th March with FX HD and ITV HD due shortly.

I recently bought a 42" flatscreen LG HD ready TV.

I've got Sky at the mo but no Sky HD, how much does it cost to upgrade? I'm just a poor student you see.

;)

I recently bought a 42" flatscreen LG HD ready TV.

I've got Sky at the mo but no Sky HD, how much does it cost to upgrade? I'm just a poor student you see.

;)

More than a tin of beans and a reduced past sell by date loaf, im afraid your f o o k e d.

Who stole the tele for you?

More than a tin of beans and a reduced past sell by date loaf, im afraid your f o o k e d.

Who stole the tele for you?

Poker winnings enabled the purchase.

;)

i think you can get deals on the sky hd box it used to be how long you were with then for..the longer you are with them the cheaper it got...and the sky hd package used to be either an extra ?10 a month or you could just take out the multiroom .....i dont have it yet but been thinking about it..have a samsung 42".

Archived