ORWELL LODGE TO CLOSE

Trained One

Libertonian_II

Then there was one..................

Used to drink in the Orwell, Gillsland and Ettrick. Shame that there's only one left.

Maybe just have to rename to Ettrick!

I used to drink in the Gillsland form time to time when I lived not far from there and it was such a shame when that placed closed down (about five years ago).

The Orwell is a great Hearts pub, and one of the nicer establishments to drink in. It would be sad if it cosed.

It least the Ettrick is still there!

Buffalo Bill

May have to re-name our club to the Ettrick Hearts Supporters Club, some major adjustments to our Orwell Flag will be required.

May have to re-name our club to the Ettrick Hearts Supporters Club, some major adjustments to our Orwell Flag will be required.

Manchester Hearts vs Ettrick Hearts. . .

I dont like the sound of it

Nelly Terraces

A real shame. Spent many a happy hour in there getting sauced up, weddings, nights out, lazy sunny afternoons, you name it.

One thing though, why is this being presnted as a HEarts story? The Orwell is a hotel and bar 1st and foremost, just because a supporters club uses it as a base doesn't mean it's a Hearts pub. I reckon the vast majority of income for the place comes from other sources other than the supporters club. Obviously Festival Inns dont see it as making enough loot.

Like I say though, a real shame, and I'll be sad to see it go, The Gillie gone, now the Orwell. Just how bloody packed is the Ettrick beergarden gonnae get in the 2 days of summer we get!!

That would be a shame... had many a good session in the OW

As BB says tho... At least there's still the Ettrick!

(Oscars on Slateford road opens soon...which is close to me. Intended to be a bit of a posh bar for all the posh new flats around there. The guy that manages it sits in the posh seats in the main stand too!)

(Oscars on Slateford road opens soon...which is close to me. Intended to be a bit of a posh bar for all the posh new flats around there. The guy that manages it sits in the posh seats in the main stand too!)

Another working mans pub shelved to make way for a yuppie bar.

Ridiculous.

Who exactly do they think is going to drink in there? Folk from The Maltings etc?

Be closed within a year tops.

Another working mans pub shelved to make way for a yuppie bar.

Ridiculous.

Who exactly do they think is going to drink in there? Folk from The Maltings etc?

Be closed within a year tops.

Aye, well, maybe.... anything would be an improvement on the old Moat Bar, however. One of the least friendly or welcoming bars I've ever drunk in, complete with surly couldn't-care-less staff and some pretty dodgy clientele too.

The scene of a legendary goal celebration when Robbie scored in Basle.

There must have been 7/800 in a hall supposed to hold about 300 and the place went absolutely crazy when the ball hit the back of the net.

Having done some work in there last year we noticed that the whole building needs a refurb and the income probably does not warrent the money being spent on the hotel.

I was at a 50th party there last week. Not many places left with decent halls.The end of the parties is nigh :confused:

Gutted!!

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Fans-fear-for-future-as.3682500.jp

Hope this does not get the go ahead, but fear the worse.

The Orwell is a superb supporters club and well run. If this closes I hope the club soldiers on.

Looks like it could be more drinking at the Hampton then!! No chance they'd let Niven in though so there always a light at the end of every tunnel!! :whistling::thumb:

Save the Orwell

Having done some work in there last year we noticed that the whole building needs a refurb and the income probably does not warrent the money being spent on the hotel.

Why dont they do what all other companies do in this situation....

match, petrol, rebuild.

Nelly Terraces

Had high hopes for that gaff when I knew the Moat was getting binned and a new place opening up near to Nellster Towers.

But 'Oscars'? Are they havin a fackin giraffe? Sounds like a gay bar, and an 80's one at that. I expect it to be festooned with pics of 'Top Gun' era Tom Cruise and other 80's 'stars'. Just sounds totally naff and 20 years out of date. Expect to to be popular with local chavs thinking they're being upmarket. A deff no-go zone to anyone with any real style. Bet their biggest sellers are Bacardi Breezer and WKD.

If you want a drink in a 'proper' boozer, you've still got the dodgy Mill and the god awful Shandon 1 minute away (handier for Malones as well). Rather drink in a prison than those 2 joints though. It's any 1 of 4 - Park Bar, Ettrick, CSR or Diggers for me locally.

Cheers, FTH.

NT.

Will never, ever forget the cup final Sunday 2 years ago. Great party. It was terrific.

My dad & his brother used to drink in there when we were kids in the late 80's/90's.

Many a happy memory from that place.

RIP - sniff, sniff.

Eh...having read the article it's not closed yet nor is it a stick on that it will.

Seems strange though that the (hibee) owner of the Ettrick also owns the Orwell virtually next door to it. Not surprising that one would go eventually.

Indirectly all of you who supped in the Orwell a few years ago were inadvertently paying for Latapy's wages while at the Hubz.

Ally Love(think he was an ex hibbee player, apparently is the owner), if so no club colours at all, no working clothes and if he doesnt like the look of ya yer barred. Runs what was the Railway in Juniper Green, but it will be a nice place to take the missus, just wot the area needs!! she wont go near the Mill, Shandon or Newmarket bar.

Had high hopes for that gaff when I knew the Moat was getting binned and a new place opening up near to Nellster Towers.

But 'Oscars'? Are they havin a fackin giraffe? Sounds like a gay bar, and an 80's one at that. I expect it to be festooned with pics of 'Top Gun' era Tom Cruise and other 80's 'stars'. Just sounds totally naff and 20 years out of date. Expect to to be popular with local chavs thinking they're being upmarket. A deff no-go zone to anyone with any real style. Bet their biggest sellers are Bacardi Breezer and WKD.

If you want a drink in a 'proper' boozer, you've still got the dodgy Mill and the god awful Shandon 1 minute away (handier for Malones as well). Rather drink in a prison than those 2 joints though. It's any 1 of 4 - Park Bar, Ettrick, CSR or Diggers for me locally.

Cheers, FTH.

NT.

Agreed on the name... bit disappointing. Had a nose inside and they've gone for the George Street 'style bar' look... Altho I think they've ended up a bit closer to the new look Sample Rooms.

I've drank in the Shandon once.. never in the Mill. Pub Quiz @ Newmarket bar is decent on a Sunday :)

Ally Love(think he was an ex hibbee player, apparently is the owner), if so no club colours at all, no working clothes and if he doesnt like the look of ya yer barred. Runs what was the Railway in Juniper Green, but it will be a nice place to take the missus, just wot the area needs!! she wont go near the Mill, Shandon or Newmarket bar.

It's a family affair I think - but yeah it's the Love's place now.

The area does need a "safe" bar ;)

Will never, ever forget the cup final Sunday 2 years ago. Great party. It was terrific.

now that was a night!

Wow - strange emotions. My wedding reception was one of the first held in the newly built (then) function suite - so you'll know that wasn't yesterday.

Still it could have been somewhere else being converted into flats, eh?

(Pieman GTF).

Why dont they do what all other companies do in this situation....

match, petrol, rebuild.

Didnt get the chance as we stopped the work there due to non-payment.

internationalcoverup

The place has steadily gone downhill since the days Robin and Moira were proprietors.

Vlad seems to be into hotels at the moment, maybe he could reach into his back tail and buy this one.

J.T.F.Robertson

I was just home and was there for a "Northern" do, on New Year's Day, night. Had a crackin' time.

Save the Orwell!!

The place has steadily gone downhill since the days Robin and Moira were proprietors.

Vlad seems to be into hotels at the moment, maybe he could reach into his back tail and buy this one.

Ideal building to covert into flats. :whistling:

Miller Jambo 60
A real shame. Spent many a happy hour in there getting sauced up, weddings, nights out, lazy sunny afternoons, you name it.

One thing though, why is this being presnted as a HEarts story? The Orwell is a hotel and bar 1st and foremost, just because a supporters club uses it as a base doesn't mean it's a Hearts pub. I reckon the vast majority of income for the place comes from other sources other than the supporters club. Obviously Festival Inns dont see it as making enough loot.

Like I say though, a real shame, and I'll be sad to see it go, The Gillie gone, now the Orwell. Just how bloody packed is the Ettrick beergarden gonnae get in the 2 days of summer we get!!

Like Sommerfields in East Craigs shut down on FEB 11th no place safe

TORY CLOWNS

not 100% sure but i think a certain local publican is involved in Oscars?

has a wee hostelry in Dalry Rd which has been in the news recently. :confused:

There must have been 7/800 in a hall supposed to hold about 300 and the place went absolutely crazy when the ball hit the back of the net.

I was in there that night...place just went mental!!!:)

Is it no true that young kenny"I`ve forgot his second name for a second" owns / runs the Ettrick and he`s a die hard Hobbo , family traditions etc., his old man was top dog at Fester Road way back in the early 80`s. Ah need help in remembering their surname but who really gives a s.............................

Remember that night in there well, should have been at the match right enough - but for Ryanair screwing up our flight !

Archived