Igronance

duckandcover

I currently work in a call centre at South Gyle. There are a few Asian people who work beside, without being racist whatsoever there are four Asain men currently speaking behind me speaking in there own language. Am I talking out of turn or is this not the height of igronance?

chester copperpot
I currently work in a call centre at South Gyle. There are a few Asian people who work beside, without being racist whatsoever there are four Asain men currently speaking behind me speaking in there own language. Am I talking out of turn or is this not the height of igronance?

Due to security issues within a call centre environment, it is not allowed. If you work for a bank, then report it to your superior, as I know we have a lot of Asian and Polish workers who, for security reasons, must speak English when in the building.

Its to do with security and information held on customers etc.

i wouldnt necessarily say its ignorant if you're not part of the 'group', however i remember at uni we were doing group work, there was 6 of us in the group and 3 of them were asian, and all of a sudden they just started talking to each other in their own language. I'd say thats pretty rude and ignorant personally

Commander Harris

I don't know if ignorance is the right word but depending on the situation it could be construed as rude.

Thats why we get kept on the phone listening to rotton music.They are all on here...

Walter Payton

RBS or HBoS?

Walter Payton
oh, the irony...

Indeed... Was wondering if the OP and the guy who started the "dilusional" thread on the Terrace were maybe another Irvine Jambo effort (especially with the mention of working in a bank call centre...) but at least IJ/CraigWoSH/Slimboyfat could spell...

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Am I talking out of turn or is this not the height of igronance?

It's ignorance btw

Is it ignorant speaking english when in spain?:rolleyes:

If you lived/worked there then I would say 100% ignorant.

On a holiday, no.

Why?

If your in a country speaking to others who speak your language then I dont see the problem

It would be very different in a working environment with other non language speakers involved but as long as it wasnt whilst dealing with a work related issue I fail to see how

Commander Harris
Is it ignorant speaking english when in spain?:rolleyes:

In a Spanish speaking work place, in front of non-english speakers, I think it would be rude. I wouldn't dream of speaking Spanish at work here in an english speaking work place.

In a Spanish speaking work place, in front of non-english speakers, I think it would be rude. I wouldn't dream of speaking Spanish at work here in an english speaking work place.

Why not?

If you were on a break with other spaniards why in hell wouldnt you speak your native language if you preferred?

Or is it the OP's right to listen in?

As for andy's comment I dont know which bank he works for but that policy is propostourous, are they trying to say speaking in their own language is dangerous they are basically saying foreigners are conmen:confused:

Commander Harris
Why not?

If you were on a break with other spaniards why in hell wouldnt you speak your native language if you preferred?

Or is it the OP's right to listen in?

As for andy's comment I dont know which bank he works for but that policy is propostourous, are they trying to say speaking in their own language is dangerous they are basically saying foreigners are conmen:confused:

I just think it's rude to speak in front of colleagues in a language that they cannot understand. It's a bit like whispering which is generally accepted as rude in such circumstances.

I agree that if they were on a break I wouldn't have a problem with it - I don't think this is what the OP is describing though.

as for the policy Andy mentioned - nothing to do with presuming foreigners are conmen - it's just that the use of confidential information cannot be monitored if the people doing the monitoring can't understand the language. seems sensible enough to me. It's a question of language not nationality so it says nothing about foreigners.

If the OP is standing in a group with them and talking to them and then they all shifted to another language while he was still in the midst of conversation with them then certainly.

Standing behind him talking to themselves? No.

chester copperpot
I just think it's rude to speak in front of colleagues in a language that they cannot understand. It's a bit like whispering which is generally accepted as rude in such circumstances.

I agree that if they were on a break I wouldn't have a problem with it - I don't think this is what the OP is describing though.

as for the policy Andy mentioned - nothing to do with presuming foreigners are conmen - it's just that the use of confidential information cannot be monitored if the people doing the monitoring can't understand the language. seems sensible enough to me. It's a question of language not nationality so it says nothing about foreigners.

Your bang on the money about the monitoring Kenny, however some people want to see an issue for the sake of it.

The People's Chimp

Yes. How igronant of them. :confused:

Your bang on the money about the monitoring Kenny, however some people want to see an issue for the sake of it.

Its all very fair having it on the phones, email, official communication etc but having such a policy for staff speaking to each other outwith their roles verges on racism imo

jack D and coke

Absolutely freaks me out that. They do themselves no favours by doing that. Most people are suspicious of them anyway now and to do that just makes matters worse.

I used to work for 2 guys who came from the hebrides and now and again they would start talking gaelic and it done my head in. IMO the only reason they're doin it is so you don't know what they're saying.

I would report it if i were you mate.

ToadKiller Dog

Were you speaking to them or part of the group and they changed to speak there 1st language and ignored you,if thats whats happened then yes i would say thats rude,but if your not part of there group then imo they can speak to each other in klingon if they wish.

If you want to find out if they are disrespecting you start a conversation with one or all of them and then see if they then ignore you.

Its no actuallly a bank call centre, its virgin media.

I was getting really fed up with foreign people who I could barely understand and could barely understand me when I called Virgin Media.

One time I was losing my rag with this one person who I was having to repeat things to several times so I asked him "What part of India are you actually in mate?"

His reply.......................

"Bellshill" :embarassed:

ArmiyaRomanova

Something to consider for the OP...

Have you ever spent long periods of time (months/years) speaking a language that's not your native tongue? Or living somewhere that's not the country of your birth/youth?

With the best will in the world in terms of integration etc..., it can be a real relief to be able to occasionally relax and express yourself in your own language with people who come from the same or similar cultural backgrounds. Wherever that opportunity arises.

Absolutely freaks me out that. They do themselves no favours by doing that. Most people are suspicious of them anyway now and to do that just makes matters worse.

I used to work for 2 guys who came from the hebrides and now and again they would start talking gaelic and it done my head in. IMO the only reason they're doin it is so you don't know what they're saying.

Yea cheers mate, they have the ability to speak the language of everyone else in the place, yet decide to speak a language that not everyone understands, (institutional racism ?) but it does certainly make one paranoid that they could be speaking about myself.

I was getting really fed up with foreign people who I could barely understand and could barely understand me when I called Virgin Media.

One time I was losing my rag with this one person who I was having to repeat things to several times so I asked him "What part of India are you actually in mate?"

His reply.......................

"Bellshill" :embarassed:

Haha thats classic ;)

Those Wee Free fundamentalists scare the bejesus oot of me too. Bigger threat than Al-Qaeda if you ask me.

Yea cheers mate, they have the ability to speak the language of everyone else in the place, yet decide to speak a language that not everyone understands, (institutional racism ?) but it does certainly make one paranoid that they could be speaking about myself.

Before you get an ounce of sympathy you're going to have to clarify whether they were actually excluding you from the conversation, or whether you were just annoyed you couldn't understand what you were over hearing.

Actively cutting you out of the conversation = rude

Chatting amongst themselves = get over it

Archived