Advice on using mobile phone with PC

Ben Dover

Anybody in this position ?

I'm hoping to set up my mates PC to connect to the internet via his mobile ( lives in a flat and doesnt have, nor want, a land line )

intention is to set it up mainly for e-mail ( Outlook Express ) so it will just be a case of nipping on-line to send or receive messages then hanging up the mobile call ( rather than surfing for long periods )

Anyone currently working that way or ever tried it ?..........just want to know what the call charges might be like...........higher rate or whatever ?

Thanks

Commander Harris

I'm hoping to set up my mates PC to connect to the internet via his mobile ( lives in a flat and doesnt have, nor want, a land line )

intention is to set it up mainly for e-mail ( Outlook Express ) so it will just be a case of nipping on-line to send or receive messages then hanging up the mobile call ( rather than surfing for long periods )

Anyone currently working that way or ever tried it ?..........just want to know what the call charges might be like...........higher rate or whatever ?

Thanks

it's a rather slow and possibly expensive way to go - dial up over a mobile. you'll get REALLY slow rates.

another possible solution would be some kind of 3G card - that way you can access the internet at a decent speed and arrange some kind of contract that will be affordable.

Thanks

not tried to connect to the net using the phone, but when I've installed phones before they do add the modem option. I'd imagine it's just a case of configuring an internet connection using the mobile phone as the modem.

As for prices not sure how that'd work, you would normally be a local rate/free phone on a land line however if you phone the AA on a mobile it's dear rather than free. So that could be messy.

but it should work ok though

it's a rather slow and possibly expensive way to go - dial up over a mobile. you'll get REALLY slow rates.

another possible solution would be some kind of 3G card - that way you can access the internet at a decent speed and arrange some kind of contract that will be affordable.

that's a better idea, the vodafone or 3 mobil broadband, 3gb for ?15, even the 3 payg version it's only a ?99 for the modem and pay for what you use,

that's a better idea, the vodafone or 3 mobil broadband, 3gb for ?15, even the 3 payg version it's only a ?99 for the modem and pay for what you use,

I've been trialling the Vodafone one for my business and it's far superior than the old 3G cards they used to supply. Managed to get speeds up to 7Mb on this one. Business rates are, I think, ?25 a month for 3Gb.

Archived