DJ mixing software (beginner)

Chrambo

Can any DJs on here recommend some DJ software for a beginner.

I've never mixed before but want to start, so whats the best software?

Thanks.

I have Fruity Loops Studio 6.

Got it off a guy who does his own stuff.

I've no idea how to use it properly, or whether its any good, but he seems to like it.

:D

I use Traktor 3 LE which came free with my midi mixer. It's a watered down version of Traktor 3. It's ok however I'm after Alberton Live.

Albertons what many of the big names use - although its not cheap(so you know what to do!) ;)

I would def suggest purchasing a midi mixer to use the software! You can pick them up for ?80+ and they basicaly act as a huge joystick for your software.

http://www.htfr.com/usb-controller/

I have a Behringer BCD 2000 - It's amzing value for money. It's basically all you need to DJ without waxing your credit card on turntables and a mixer only to find out you can't beat match!! Perfect for beginer or bad DJ's like myself!

BMR170519.jpg I just hook up to my laptop and away I go! Look out for woodland raves in the West Lothian region this summer!!! :1022:

I use Traktor 3 LE which came free with my midi mixer. It's a watered down version of Traktor 3. It's ok however I'm after Alberton Live.

Albertons what many of the big names use - although its not cheap(so you know what to do!) ;)

I would def suggest purchasing a midi mixer to use the software! You can pick them up for ?80+ and they basicaly act as a huge joystick for your software.

http://www.htfr.com/usb-controller/

I have a Behringer BCD 2000 - It's amzing value for money. It's basically all you need to DJ without waxing your credit card on turntables and a mixer only to find out you can't beat match!! Perfect for beginer or bad DJ's like myself!

BMR170519.jpg I just hook up to my laptop and away I go! Look out for woodland raves in the West Lothian region this summer!!! :1022:

Wasting you're time looking for Alberton mate. The product is called Ableton. With regard to mixing software, I would say you should go for Traktor 3 as you said. Can't get better than buying a set of vinyl or CD decks and learning to mix properly with those though. Every DJ needs to know how to beat match in my eyes. Otherwise, you're just another guy playing records.

If you want to produce music then Ableton is probably a good start along with something like Fruityloops or Cubase (but its bloody expensive)

Wasting you're time looking for Alberton mate. The product is called Ableton. With regard to mixing software, I would say you should go for Traktor 3 as you said. Can't get better than buying a set of vinyl or CD decks and learning to mix properly with those though. Every DJ needs to know how to beat match in my eyes. Otherwise, you're just another guy playing records.

If you want to produce music then Ableton is probably a good start along with something like Fruityloops or Cubase (but its bloody expensive)

That would explain a lot!

Traktor 3 is probably your best bet. Serato is also meant to be good, although I haven't used it myself.

Ableton is also great for DJing, however it takes more preparation with setting up warp markers for syncing the BPMs.

Carl Weathers

Beatmatching doesn't make you more than someone who plays records tbh.

;)

Ableton is a great piece of kit but not very user friendly. Time warping the tracks is a pain as well.

I remember when every lads dream was to play guitar....:cool:

When I was a lad I used to dream of finding a bongo mag in the bushes up beside the canal.

Traktor 3 is probably your best bet. Serato is also meant to be good, although I haven't used it myself.

Ableton is also great for DJing, however it takes more preparation with setting up warp markers for syncing the BPMs.

Do you not still need decks and a mixer to use serrato?

I've used it tons of times but only with the vinyl tablets.

Cuebase is a great programme but not for mixing. I daresay if you could be bothered you could ake up a full DJ set with it but then it would be a case of hitting play and sitting on your arse as it played.

Carl Weathers
What about equipment?

I'm on a really tight budge, so whats the minimum i need and wheres best to get them cheap?

If you're thinking about getting ableton there is a good forum with a beginners section. http://www.abletonlivedj.com/

You can also d/l a trial version of the software for free.

minstrel_svirac.jpg

Dave "cutting some rug" as a youngster...:rolleyes:

I did once have hair that length but that doesn't look anything like my white Fender hardtail Strat. :whistling:

Cuebase is a great programme but not for mixing. I daresay if you could be bothered you could ake up a full DJ set with it but then it would be a case of hitting play and sitting on your arse as it played.

Cubase is decent for production. It's supposed to have a brilliant sequencer, meant to be quite hard to use though.

I've got quite a few friends with record releases and the packages that i always see being used are ableton and pro-tools.

Cubase is decent for production. It's supposed to have a brilliant sequencer, meant to be quite hard to use though.

I've got quite a few friends with record releases and the packages that i always see being used are ableton and pro-tools.

Pretty much a matter of horses for courses. More and more people are using Logic now. Protools is way over the top for most people and is a serious tool.

Most of the trial versions of these things are pretty good and just limit certain plugins and the number of available outputs. The version of Cuebase I have is the equivalent of a 24 channel digital mixer.

Pro-tools is supposed to be immense for the mastering of pre-release recordings. I've seen it and I wouldn't have a clue where to even start.

I prefer hardware myself.

Old school synths, decks etc sound best. Here's my stoodio set-up.

mystuffmh0.jpg

mystuff2nk3.jpg

Impressive set up mate............just got the Technics decks & mixer myself.

Vinyl only.......anything else just aint right ;)

Do you not still need decks and a mixer to use serrato?

I've used it tons of times but only with the vinyl tablets.

Not sure. Thought it might have been like Traktor and worked with a standalone software only version too. I could very well be wrong though.

I have vitual DJ (think a mate gave it to me) very easy to use and sort of set-up like a cheap decks/mixer combo.

Impressive set up mate............just got the Technics decks & mixer myself.

Vinyl only.......anything else just aint right ;)

Yeah i've considered adding a cd deck but they just don't feel right - I hate CDs.

I've been considering serrato for some time but i've yet to buy it because i've got a problem with the sound on my laptop. Whenever i make tunes with my synths or record a mix, it sounds horrible when i record it into my laptop. I have no idea what's wrong with it and how to fix it. It's a decent computer and is less than a year old but it still sounds distorted to hell and fuzzy. No idea how to remedy this so any clever computer types who read this, your help would be most definitely welcome.

Not sure. Thought it might have been like Traktor and worked with a standalone software only version too. I could very well be wrong though.

I've never seen or heard of anyone using it like that but i'm not 100% certain.

It is a vinyl mp3 simulator so it comes with 2 blank records and an interface that plugs into the back of your mixer. Really nice software, the records are nice and heavy and theres no bleeps or glitches like there is with finyl scratch.

Yeah i've considered adding a cd deck but they just don't feel right - I hate CDs.

I've been considering serrato for some time but i've yet to buy it because i've got a problem with the sound on my laptop. Whenever i make tunes with my synths or record a mix, it sounds horrible when i record it into my laptop. I have no idea what's wrong with it and how to fix it. It's a decent computer and is less than a year old but it still sounds distorted to hell and fuzzy. No idea how to remedy this so any clever computer types who read this, your help would be most definitely welcome.

Sounds like your recording levels are the problem. Might be an idea to check the input levels on the computer, or try using a different input if you've got one (most soundcards have a mike in and a line in, I think). What's the output you're connecting to the PC?

Or maybe your tunes are just too damn hardcore for your computer!

Sounds like your recording levels are the problem. Might be an idea to check the input levels on the computer, or try using a different input if you've got one (most soundcards have a mike in and a line in, I think). What's the output you're connecting to the PC?

Or maybe your tunes are just too damn hardcore for your computer!

It all worked fine on my old laptop, this new one seems to have issues.

I use a phono (red and black deck/mixer style 2 pin lead) to jack (mic input). There doesn't seem to be a line in.

To check my recording in levels I would just click on the volume button and make sure all of the levels are in the middle?

It all worked fine on my old laptop, this new one seems to have issues.

I use a phono (red and black deck/mixer style 2 pin lead) to jack (mic input). There doesn't seem to be a line in.

To check my recording in levels I would just click on the volume button and make sure all of the levels are in the middle?

That's about the size of it. Just mess about with the input levels and see if it helps. However, if that doesn't work, i'm wondering if there might actually be something wrong with the soundcard in the laptop...

That's about the size of it. Just mess about with the input levels and see if it helps. However, if that doesn't work, i'm wondering if there might actually be something wrong with the soundcard in the laptop...

It works well when playing music and films.

Is there a way that you can search to find the name and spec of the sound card? Sorry but computers are not my strongest point.

It works well when playing music and films.

Is there a way that you can search to find the name and spec of the sound card? Sorry but computers are not my strongest point.

If there was something wrong with the soundcard, I'd imagine it would be the input stage, so that wouldn't affect playback of music or films. If you go into Control Panel, then System, then Hardware or Device Manager, it should tell you what sort of soundcard you have.

Can any one help really quick...

Is a Numark DM 3000 Ex 3 channel mixer good for a beginner?

Theres one I've spotted for around ?20, is it worth it?

Can any one help really quick...

Is a Numark DM 3000 Ex 3 channel mixer good for a beginner?

Theres one I've spotted for around ?20, is it worth it?

Yeah that will work.

Any mixer with 2 channels, a cross ader, 3 band EQ and volume upfaders will be fine for mixing mp3s. No point in wasting a decent mixer on pretend DJing ;) with mp3s.

If you want to do worthwhile work Cosa you need an external soundcard, either USB2 or Firewire. there are loads available on e-bay etc. People like M-Audio are reasonable. The inputs on most computers are a bit of an afterthought.

If you want to do worthwhile work Cosa you need an external soundcard, either USB2 or Firewire. there are loads available on e-bay etc. People like M-Audio are reasonable. The inputs on most computers are a bit of an afterthought.

How much does it cost for a decent one?

A bit of shopping around should get you sorted for around ?100 or so.

Sorry for being annoying but how does this work?

I plug the soundcard into my laptop into the same slot as you plug in say, an ipod? Does the cable from my mixer go into the soundcard or the mic input on the laptop? Can i use Audacity or soundforge to record into my laptop but this time it will sound good?

Sorry for being annoying but how does this work?

I plug the soundcard into my laptop into the same slot as you plug in say, an ipod? Does the cable from my mixer go into the soundcard or the mic input on the laptop? Can i use Audacity or soundforge to record into my laptop but this time it will sound good?

Not sure about the software side of it. Basically you plug the soundcard into your USB and your stereo feed into the soundcard. Then the sound goes through the USB straight to the hard drive. So basically you bypass the crappy built in soundcard and inputs. It's the only way to go and is the way all professionals work.

Thanks for that.

I live 2 mins from a PC World, reckoni'll take a wee walk down tomorrow and have a looky.

You'll be lucky if PC World carry kit like that, however Sound Control will.

Anyone using Ableton installed the 7.0.2 upgrade yet? Having a problem opening one of my sets up, it's the only set with a audio track so don't know if it's because of that.

Archived