Bottled water

david mcgee

Just watching the BBC news talking about this.

Edinburghs tap water is fantastic stuff, clear, cold and pure, yet my wife buys small bottles of water every week for the kids packed lunches.

Why?

I tell her to keep a few empty bottles and fill them from the tap.

She just asked me for money for petrol for her car and i told her she was getting nixie unless she stops buying bottled water.

She called me Victor Meldrew, held her hand up showing one finger and stropped off ( seems to have hit a raw nerve).

Am i out of order?

Edinburghs tap water is fantastic stuff, clear, cold and pure, yet my wife buys small bottles of water every week for the kids packed lunches.

Why?

She just asked me for money for petrol for her car and i told her she was getting nixie unless she stops buying bottled water.

She called me Victor Meldrew, held her hand up showing one finger and stropped off ( seems to have hit a raw nerve).

Am i out of order?

I buy bottled water myself but my question is we managed to get by on the good old tap variety before the bottled water market came along.

Commander Harris

do people know that bottled water is one of the main contributors to increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere? if you go along with the man-made CO2 based "climate change" gubbins it is inconsistent to drink bottled water - you might as well be driving a troupe of "gas guzzling" 4x4s :P

slightly more on-topic - I think Edinburgh tap water is of an exceptional quality and don't really see the need for bottled water here.

do people know that bottled water is one of the main contributors to increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere? if you go along with the man-made CO2 based "climate change" gubbins it is inconsistent to drink bottled water - you might as well be driving a troupe of "gas guzzling" 4x4s :P

slightly more on-topic - I think Edinburgh tap water is of an exceptional quality and don't really see the need for bottled water here.

Na but if they watch Panorama at 8.30 they will.

Got to agree with you there - I didn't appreciate this until the first time I had a glass of tap water in London. Edinburgh tap water is as good if not better than many brands of bottled water.

Commander Harris
Got to agree with you there - I didn't appreciate this until the first time I had a glass of tap water in London. Edinburgh tap water is as good if not better than many brands of bottled water.

even a wee look in your kettle shows the difference - no nasty limescale build up like you get in many places.

Anyone who buys water in bottles in this country deserves to be hung drawn and quartered.

Most bottled water is tap water. There now you know the truth.

Miller Jambo 60

Why?

Am i out of order?

Great water mate the best in Britain.

My 2 boys take their Bottled tap water to School.

STUFF THE CELTS

can only agree in the main, however the water in my flat is, and has always been, minging

it even has a scent!

i swear this flat has tap water straight from the water of leith

i tend to use bottled water & more often than bottles, a filter, but believe me this water is not palatable!

i used to love when i was abbeyhill, taking a couple of bottles over and filling them from arthur seat at the palace entrance where the little water stream is.

ice cold and pure as can be

lovely water there

jamboinheaven
can only agree in the main, however the water in my flat is, and has always been, minging

it even has a scent!

i swear this flat has tap water straight from the water of leith

i tend to use bottled water & more often than bottles, a filter, but believe me this water is not palatable!

i used to love when i was abbeyhill, taking a couple of bottles over and filling them from arthur seat at the palace entrance where the little water stream is.

ice cold and pure as can be

lovely water there

i used to empty my bladder there every week after a night out ;)

Toxteth O'Grady

Edinburgh has the best tap water I've tasted anywhere in the world.

Sometimes it can taste a bit of Chlorine but if does just put some in a jug, give it a stir or shake and bung it in the fridge for an hour and it will be perfect.

If this works for you just send me the money you normally spend on bottled water.:)

Father Tiresias

I used to love the tap water from my Gran's house in Gorgie Road.

I think it was something to do with the lead pipes.

even a wee look in your kettle shows the difference - no nasty limescale build up like you get in many places.

yea this is correct we have 'soft' water up here as opposed to areas down south where they have 'hard' water.

chester copperpot
yea this is correct we have 'soft' water up here as opposed to areas down south where they have 'hard' water.

Can I just point out at this stage that tap water in edinburgh sucks compared to the water I get in Milton Of Campsie.

You get Campsie Spring, but the tap water IMO is the best I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

One thing Scottish folk should be grateful for, its just awesome.

chester copperpot

Attempting to shave is a foolproof way of testing water.

London = Cut up face.

Edinburgh = Cut up job, but at least you look decent for that 8K deficit in your wages :laugh:

Edinburgh tap water is the best,I have family that come up here from way down south and they fill bottles up with tap water to take home with them..the only time i drink bottle water is when i go down south the water is minging:rolleyes:

Agreed, Edinburgh tap water (especially the stuff I get) is very good compared to elsewhere. A lot of Glasgow tap water is minging in comparison.

I had a mate from Falkirk used to moan at me if I bought bottled water, so used to buy Perrier just to p!ss him off more. Didn't like perrier just did it to annoy him haha

My flat tap water in Newington ain't great, so I use a Brita jug

It's ok if I run the tap for about 3 minutes, otherwise it's cloudy

Watched Panorama last night.It had a bottle of water on it that cost ?23 for just under a litre which came straight from rain called Cloud Water.Also had this stuff called Fiji(from Fiji funnily enough)that was meant to the best in the world,the only thing is it was mass produced and exported all over the world and the people of Fiji had no clean safe drinking water themselves and were all catching typhoid.

Quite some years ago, I went out with a girl who worked for Thames Water as a microbiologist. She come home ashen faced one night after processing some water samples & told me never to drink tap water if you live in a city.

Admitedly this was London, but the message has stuck with me.

We have good tap water up here, but after heavy rain its bit murky looking. I buy bottled water for those times. I know the water is still safe to drink after the rain it just lokks minging.

The Old Tolbooth

Why?

Am i out of order?

You made me laugh yesterday David, I think you got out the wrong side of bed mate as you complained about a few things heh heh.

I dont think your missus was too far wide of the mark with her Victor Meldrew comment bud, I just hope you have a better day today :laugh:

Quite some years ago, I went out with a girl who worked for Thames Water as a microbiologist. She come home ashen faced one night after processing some water samples & told me never to drink tap water if you live in a city.

Admitedly this was London, but the message has stuck with me.

Don't worry, the water in Edinburgh's clean as a whistle. Done plenty of testing on it over the years.

London (privatised!) water however, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole!

******s with their bottled water make me puke. Half the rubbish on the streets, trains and buses seems to be mae up of water bottles. How on earth did we survive without it?

If the water in your area is "hard" or seems chlorinated, just boil the ferker THEN pour it into yer bottle when it's cool. Poseurs.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm in Leith and the tap waters not great here tbh

Out in Bathgate at my folks its fantastic

In London the water was rank, I don't know if theres any truth in the rumour that most tap waters been drank 7 times before you get it in the Smoke.

I did some work with these guys last year http://www.wrap.org.uk/ and I don't think the issue is the bottled water its self but the process and the energy that goes into getting it to your lips.

Most bottles are made from Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and a very low percentage is recycled. (PET is made from oil) on top of that its transported round the country in diesel lorries.

Don't make any sense when perfectly good stuff comes out the tap for free.

In London the water was rank, I don't know if theres any truth in the rumour that most tap waters been drank 7 times before you get it in the Smoke.

Indeed. One very good reason why we should ensure the water authorities never get privitised up here, otherwise we'll be drinking the crappiest recycled p***water they can get away with providing us!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I've just watched that programme on BBC iPlayer (it's a quiet day here!)

Nice to see the BBC spends over ?300,000 of licence payers maney on bottled tap water in its London offices alone!!

Archived