Connecting up a flat screen tv/Sky+/dvd

Samster

I know it?s not rocket science but can anyone help me with connecting my flat screen tv, Sky+ box and dvd player?

I have been using scart leads but decided to change the connection and use the component cables between the tv and the dvd player. What other cables do I need to connect tv/Sky+/dvd? Do I still need a scart somewhere in there?

Tv works fine just now with the scarts but I?m just trying to improve the picture a bit with the component cables.

I know it?s not rocket science but can anyone help me with connecting my flat screen tv, Sky+ box and dvd player?

I have been using scart leads but decided to change the connection and use the component cables between the tv and the dvd player. What other cables do I need to connect tv/Sky+/dvd? Do I still need a scart somewhere in there?

Tv works fine just now with the scarts but I?m just trying to improve the picture a bit with the component cables.

Scart is better than component from what I've found.

Miller Jambo 60

If you have 2 scarts on the TV which you should.

1 Scart from sky box to tv.

2 Scart from DVD to TV

If the DvD is a Recordable one take the scart from the SKY box to the DVD then from The DVD to the Tv with a scart

You need to see what ports each device supports and what you've got on your TV. Component will usually give a better picture quality than SCART, but I don't think you have a choice on the standard Sky+ box. HDMI or component would be better on your DVD player if it supports them and will probable be needed in order to upscale if that's something it supports.

Scart is better than component from what I've found.

should be the other way round, tho dependent on the panel & their multitude of settings it can be close.

Are you not meaning composite cables as opposed to component ?

Component are more for HD sources

Definately component but I was wondering if they can only really be used in conjunction with the HDMI leads (which I don't have).

Maybe I should just stick with the scarts?!

should be the other way round, tho dependent on the panel & their multitude of settings it can be close.

Depends if he has any HD-type things.

Definately component but I was wondering if they can only really be used in conjunction with the HDMI leads (which I don't have).

they are an alternative to HDMI leads. tho, as Chris says, if you're not working with HD sources you might as well stick with scart.

Scart is a pretty poor cable that was created to make things simple for the home user. You get all the component parts including the stereo audio down one foolproof cable, but ultimately a compromise. HDMI is the way to go for home use. I use HDMI for the video and an optical into my DVD amp for sound so I have the fun of 5:1 all the time.

Can your DVD upscale if so use hdmi if you can if not just use the scarts.Component is just another kind of HD connection but it cannot upscale dvds(don't think so anyway)because of a code the companies put in them where hdmi can.

Archived