'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

Cyber

We found a letter in the family bible at the weekend.

It was from a Sergeant who wanted to thank the sender of a pair of socks which they had knitted and sent out to a soldier. It was heartbreaking to read just how important those new socks were to him.

It was written in Havre in 1915.

It is so sad that this is still going on.

blondejamtart
We found a letter in the family bible at the weekend.

It was from a Sergeant who wanted to thank the sender of a pair of socks which they had knitted and sent out to a soldier. It was heartbreaking to read just how important those new socks were to him.

It was written in Havre in 1915.

It is so sad that this is still going on.

Sad yes, but what a fascinating piece of your family history to find.

Yep, really tragic, but I had to laugh at this bit:

if I see spam in the house ill ****ing destroy it!

Say What Again

Doubt my old dear would be too impressed with me using that langauge in a letter to her.

blondejamtart
Doubt my old dear would be too impressed with me using that langauge in a letter to her.

If it was the last letter she was ever to receive from you, I doubt the language would matter. His poor mum will treasure every word - four-lettered, badly spelled or otherwise.

Doubt my mum would care if i was writing from Iraq.:qqb017:

Clearly wrote in the same way that he talked so i imagine she was used to the odd ****.

Say What Again
If it was the last letter she was ever to receive from you, I doubt the language would matter. His poor mum will treasure every word - four-lettered, badly spelled or otherwise.

The last letter is the only letter without swearing.

(Except 's---, I've been hit')

Goose Baxter

I must say that was rather emotional to read, you could see that the lad was a cheeky chappy but still had a serious head on. Its funny how i can write this as i sit at my desk having a good old skive on kickback, That poor lad has to be on guard for 6 hours in the heat and only get 3 hours rest!!

I know thats what these guys signed up to and hats off to everyone off them.

We do not do enough for these people and sometimes we forget about them out there.

RIP mate

He sounds like a cool little kid from his letters.

Shame the ****ing government couldn't provide him with a few bars of chocolate and some ****ing soft drinks.

How ****ed is it that soldiers in war zones rely on old folk to send them a bar of chocolate.

Goose Baxter
He sounds like a cool little kid from his letters.

Shame the ****ing government couldn't provide him with a few bars of chocolate and some ****ing soft drinks.

How ****ed is it that soldiers in war zones rely on old folk to send them a bar of chocolate.

Thats the point i was trying to make, We all site here in a kooshty office etc, Live an easy life compaired to these guys yet he is having to ask him mum to write to company's so he can get a magazine!

Couple bars of chocolate ?1.50

Nuts or car magazine ?2.00

Guest juvehearts

that last letter had tears rolling down my face

means so much to me what these people are doing for us, kannae be thankful enough to them for our freedom.

espechically living in scotland's capital city.

another reason why i am proud to be a jambo.

thats 17 british service men & women killed in active action this month alone

rip wee man

juve

Heartbreaking....what can you say to that? Every parent's worst nightmare.

certainly was heartbreaking, I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

so sad

RIP

The Vulture

I met up with an old school friend at the weekend and he told me that one of the pupils in the year below us at school was killed in Afghanistan. 27 years old.......what a wasted life. Makes me really angry that the UK is in this situation, my thoughts are with all the soldiers out there.

bugger me, normally I can switch off when I read or watch things like that but that was hard, especially when I got to the last letter

sounded like a sound wee man

rip buddy

That was really hard going.

Guess it makes you grateful for what you have in life and also very appreciative of people who are willing to put their lives on the line everyday.

RIP mate.

God that was really hard to read! As Ross said above, these boys dont get enough credit. one of my best mates is out there the now and everytime I hear on the news that another serviceman has died, my heart stops.

RIP mate.

What a shame.Just goes to show when were all moaning about hating our jobs etc it really could be worse and as another poster said every parents worsed nightmare.

i have tears rolling down my face reading that. i know so many military, and have a couple of mates out there just now, and for all their joking, and pish taking, its easy to forget what they go through every day they are on tour

i'm so proud of our troops, and my heart goes out to every family and friend in the kind of situation that young mans family are in.

very good of the family to share that with the public, a very brave gesture. not brave perhaps, but somthing.

its hard to actually find the words to describe how that letter makes me feel

God that was really hard to read! As Ross said above, these boys dont get enough credit. one of my best mates is out there the now and everytime I hear on the news that another serviceman has died, my heart stops.

RIP mate.

me too.

one mate, rathjer than trying to get round everyone, just updates his facebook status with some random, daft little thing. thats just mates though, imagine how the families must feel.

J.T.F.Robertson

Was welling up a wee bit there.

Feckin shame! I can only hope, when this thing's finally over, his sacrifice will have counted for something.

R.I.P.

so very very sad i'm still in tears reading that.

Does it matter his spelling or four letter words? of course it doesn't ..he's a hero who should never have been sent there in the first place. Rest in peace Cyrus. :heart:

Hard to read but show's exactly how miss treated our men are when abroad, I for one think that all Brittish troups should be withdrawn from Active service and let the Americans deal with what they started on there own.

Goose Baxter

Be good to show that link to Mr Brown and his goons this we lads letter, To even show them what they are going through and all they want is the smallest of things to boost moral.

I am not saying the Government dont do anything for these guys, But what i will say and i think everyone will agree that they can do so much more.

Silverymoon92

Thank you for your great service to the Brittish Army. You died fighting for your country and all of us. A true HERO.

Makes me very angry. They're not out there for our freedom and it won't be worth it unless you're the CEO or director of one of the companies that'll make millions from carving up Iraq, Afghanistan and whatever country the money men feel like getting their hands on at the expense of the lives of our young men and women.

I have nothing whatsoever against any serving member of our armed forces and I respect them enormously for their bravery and their hard and dangerous work, but I wish they would come home.

WWII was fought by brave men and women who won our liberty from the dark spectre of facism, it it these memories and feelings that the people who orchestrate these bogus wars play on. Saddam Hussien was a sad old man in a hole when they found him, where's the threat? Bin Laden has not been found and people are living under constant fear and paranioa, all over the west. What's the point?

If you really want to go for the biggest threat to our safety go to war against Saudi and against Pakistan, they're the nations harbouring the fundamentalists, but then there's no profit for us there...

How many young men need to die before we stop this charade and hold those responsible to account? (that's you Blair you snake, and you Bush and your Dad's pals)

Jambof3tornado

I had a letter like that and I was so glad to be able to burn it when I landed home back at Lyneham.

No one expects to die out there,you feel bulletproof to some degree,even when people around you are coming home in boxes draped with the union jack.

On the sublect of the troops not getting chocolate and fizzy drinks etc,there is nothing like receiving a welfare package out there. I got wet wipes,deodorant and chocs and it felt great. If the troops got those all the time it wouldnt be the same.

RIP ALL THE FALLEN ONES.

Archived