?65 Million from Sky and ESPN confirmed

HMS Jambo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say anyone will be over the moon with that, but the clubs HAD to accept the deal after Sultana went tits up. This is also a better option that what the Gruesome Twosome were offering - they already hold enough power over Scottish football as it is.

marshallschunkychicken
Excellent news. That matches the Setanta deal does it not?!

Its about a 50% reduction I think.

Dr. Bapswent
I hope they get it, hopefully will mean the Sky games at least will be broadcast in HD.

Does he not mean, its been accepted?

loveofthegame

Seriously?! Maybe not such excellent news then. Still delighted that the uglies haven't got their way.

Yeah has been accepted by SPL.

Excellent news. That matches the Setanta deal does it not?!

I thought the setanta deal was for ?125 million.

People say the deal is very bad, but lets remember that Setanta MASSIVELY overpaid for the SPL rights...

Atleast there is a deal, giving some security.

Good news to an extent

Be beware of some potentially gash kick off times though

What slots were we on last time Sky had us so we didnt conflict with their games?

Dr. Bapswent

I think this is the best news we could have hoped for.

Hopefully the reduced money will hit the OF hardest and go a little way to reducing the gulf between them and the rest of the SPL.

Hopefully this wake up call should also show the SPL teams that they need to work viably on less moeny and create a sustainable and competitive future for SPL football.

I'd take less dough over being in the Old Firms pockets.

Anyday.

You are not though, the Old Firm actually offered less despite saying this deal was not good enough, so it is better on all counts.

The main drawback is, we most probably will have to put up with Davie Provan.

Buffalo Bill

I didn't mind the 5.30 Saturday evening kick off. In fact it made for a tremendous pre-match bevvy.

But as for the Sunday 6.05 kick off. Oh god, please no.

Boab Mugabe

On Hearts' OS as well.

Think all clubs have taken a financial hit but the OF will surely be worse off unless they sneaked in a larger portion of revenue distribution in negotiations. All's well that ends well! :2thumbsup:

According to the BBC its ?65M to show 60 games per year until the end of the 2011/2012 season with an option to extend a further 2 years. So thats roughly ?22M per year and not far off the Setanta deal.

Good news to an extent

Be beware of some potentially gash kick off times though

What slots were we on last time Sky had us so we didnt conflict with their games?

now on the BeeB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8152874.stm

I congratulate the posters who predicted that UGLIES TV would never happen.

I do have to ask however

What the F@RK were the UGLIES up to for the last 3 days or so?

I assume that they were up to there usual in

"look at us look at us we are the big cheese ( one with green and one with blue mould) and we are going to spout complete and utter Michael Ballacks because we want everyone to give us as much attention as possible"

"no over here over here look look at us pair of TWONKS"

What a complete and utter pair of BANKERS they are

I see he did mean that now, I thought he was confirming that's what they'd offered, which he could have meant!!

:2thumbsup:

Buffalo Bill
The OF will be gutted.

:10900:

David Weir will just have to solidier on until he's 50!

Boab Mugabe

Friday/Monday night games may be on the cards.

I believe ESPN are going to basically show the usual batch of OF away games that Setanta did and Sky take over when there are some big clashes (Old Firm, Edinburgh Derby and such).

According to the BBC its ?65M to show 60 games per year until the end of the 2011/2012 season with an option to extend a further 2 years. So thats roughly ?22M per year and not far off the Setanta deal.

And significantly more than what the Old Squirm were offering, despite their claims.

I believe ESPN are going to basically show the usual batch of OF away games that Setanta did and Sky take over when there are some big clashes (Old Firm, Edinburgh Derby and such).

Monday night is crap, but we had some of them anyway.

Friday's, there is no danger the cops will allow it, though if it had to be a mid week night game, that is the night I would probably choose - a few beers before and after, and probably no work the next day.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Cool. Now let's see who has the overseas rights (hoping Fox Sports pick them up over here and then I can sack Setanta!)

Am I right in thinking that the ?65 million was originally over 5 years but is now over 3 years ?

If so I would suggest the posturing most definitely worked.

Rick Grimes

Only on the new deal that never actually started. Its in line with what we've been receiving the last few years.

Am I right in thinking that the ?65 million was originally over 5 years but is now over 3 years ?

Not sure.Think its over 5 with an option to opt out after 3.

Guest JamboRobbo

It was originally over 5. Appears now to be over 3, although could be reports not 100% accurate maybe? Would be surprised if it's changed that much. Maybe some sort of get out clause/extension after 3 to take it to 5?

Fat Striker
WIll we need to subscide to both or will susbcribing to SKY be enough

I would imagine that the majority of the SPL games would be shown on ESPN (Sky might show the old firm derby games) so you would need to fork out ?9 for a subscription to this channel.

Rick Grimes

betcha the ?65m includes the two optional years.

60 games a season is only 16 short of two per round of fixtures. Might there be more weeks where there is a game not involving the Old Firm? Wishful thinking probably. Does anyone remember how many games Setanta showed?

Cool. Now let's see who has the overseas rights (hoping Fox Sports pick them up over here and then I can sack Setanta!)

Vlad TV

good deal IMO considering there was not really any other credible alternatives.

oh and:

Bigot Bros TV GTF

Great news.

It may be less than what Setanta were offering, but the income is pretty much a dead cert, no danger of sky going bust anytime soon!

Professor.Arturo
WIll we need to subscide to both or will susbcribing to SKY be enough

Now thats a question.

?39 a month to Sky for Sky sports pack, and more to ESPN?

Guest Bilel Mohsni
now on the BeeB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8152874.stm

I congratulate the posters who predicted that UGLIES TV would never happen.

I do have to ask however

What the F@RK were the UGLIES up to for the last 3 days or so?

I assume that they were up to there usual in

"look at us look at us we are the big cheese ( one with green and one with blue mould) and we are going to spout complete and utter Michael Ballacks because we want everyone to give us as much attention as possible"

"no over here over here look look at us pair of TWONKS"

What a complete and utter pair of BANKERS they are

Thanks bud... Sorry if I came off as a bit arrogant over it... I was probably just so beligerent with rage over the audacity of those *********!!

Still until whales chase penguins through our skies, all is good once again!! :2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

ToadKiller Dog

Thats the right decision if you ask me 3 years with an option for 2 more gives breathing space for a proper look into all options .

So in effect what was a 5 year deal at ?65 mill or ?13 mill per season has now become a 3 year deal at ?65 mill or ?22.33 mill per season.

So if the option at the same value is taken it equates to about ?111.65 mill (for the 5 seasons)

Possible humble pie time

Perhaps the hysteria created by the media about the ugliestv and many of the little clubs backing was actually the SPL and it's member clubs trying to get a better offer from SKY / ESPN. If so it has worked very well indeed.

Anyway in reality it is as good a deal as could be expected for the SPL under the present economic climate.

How it will effect Joe Public in subscription costs and kick off times remains to be seen.

Was writing this at the time of your post MOTHY

A special mention to MOTHY for staying calm while almost all around him were jumping off the deep end. I hate you :2thumbsup:

From the SPL website

TV deal completed with SKY & ESPN

At today?s AGM, the clubs agreed a ?65 million deal with Sky and ESPN to screen 60 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League matches each season across the UK and Ireland.

The deal will last until the end of season 2011/12 with the SPL having an option to extend for a further two seasons.

Lex Gold, Chairman of the SPL, said: ?We are pleased that in just over three weeks we have been able to strike this deal. Sky and ESPN are two of the biggest names in sports broadcasting and they will bring first class production standards and a wide audience to the table.

"We are looking forward to working with both in the coming years to raise the profile of the SPL for our clubs, fans and partners."

Additional information

+ Sky and ESPN will both cover 30 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League games each season.

+ The broadcast slots will remain as Saturday lunchtimes, Sunday lunchtimes, Sunday afternoons and Monday nights.

+ The SPL?s existing broadcasting deals with BBC, BT Vision, MG ALBA and Sportfive will be unaffected by this deal.

+ All games will be broadcast in High Definition and Standard Definition formats.

I think that's not far away from the previous Setanta deal

Where Setanta got the figures to support their last ?125m offer is beyond me !

Thunderstruck

Good result.

Murdoch might be the devil incarnate but he is still preferable to the uglies.

It's a bit unclear as to whether it's ?65m for 3 years and then we have the option to extend for another 2 at the same rate (about ?22m per year) or if it's ?65m for 5 years but we have the option to opt out after 3 if we think we can negotiate a better deal elsewhere.

Either way, it's still a better deal than being locked in to ?65m for 5 years but it's quite a significant difference if it's the former.

It was originally over 5. Appears now to be over 3, although could be reports not 100% accurate maybe? Would be surprised if it's changed that much. Maybe some sort of get out clause/extension after 3 to take it to 5?

Sky News reporting its until he end of 2011/12 which by my calculation is 3 seasons ! Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Seymour M Hersh

It's better than those two owning the rest of us, however, will they still get 50% of the cash to split between themselves? If they do then what's the point? A massive inequality remains in place.

Carl Spackler

All the financial questions aside I'm delighted Sky is involved. This will hopefully mean the production and quality of the programmes generally is better. The highlights will probably be better too. Perhaps we might even get all games in a "football first" style on the ESPN station?

Anyway, all available in HD too so that's good

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=7990&back=home

ESPN commentators aren't going to go on about us top-bodying the ball into the scorebag and stuff though are they?!

Guest JamboRobbo
It's better than those two owning the rest of us, however, will they still get 50% of the cash to split between themselves? If they do then what's the point? A massive inequality remains in place.

IIRC, top two teams in the league get a great big chunk of the money. We took Rangers chunk it in 05/06, so it's up to us to go out and earn our dough.

Archived