The Jeremy Kyle show

Le Chat

Bindy Badgy

The lie detector bullshit always bugged me. The results aren't usable in court as they aren't considered to be reliable yet he represents the results as if they're incontrovertible evidence that someone is lying.

46 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

The lie detector bullshit always bugged me. The results aren't usable in court as they aren't considered to be reliable yet he represents the results as if they're incontrovertible evidence that someone is lying.

:spoton:

luckyBatistuta
On 15/07/2009 at 11:58, Cheile said:

FFS !!! Why would anybody with more than one brain cell watch such utter moron fodder ?

Agree, anytime that show has ever appeared on my television, I instantly change the channel, no matter what is on the others. I refuse to give a show that almost glamorises being a ####### waster a viewing figure. Bet they love taking time out their sponging lifestyle to become famous to all the rest of the spongers around the country who sit at home doing nothing all day, but watch shite like this...and to actually travel to sit and watch it live:facepalm:

I P Knightley

It's amazing that the UK took a TV format from the US (Jerry Springer) and somehow managed to make it significantly more scummy.

Jambothump

If you compare the earliest episodes, where they tried to reason help and debate peoples problems.

To later, not much later, where Jeremy Kyle becomes a shouting, bullying  moron, as for Graham, now there was a waste of a wank.

hughesie27

Crazy that it has been axed. Not the right call at all.

Glad I'll never have to see it on TV again though.

12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Crazy that it has been axed. Not the right call at all.

Glad I'll never have to see it on TV again though.

A man killed himself

Can't think of a better reason to shut it down

Read the article on the BBC website by someone who was a runner on it. It shows the disgusting behaviours from the production team to cause controversy and aggravation

hughesie27
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

A man killed himself

Can't think of a better reason to shut it down

So every show that results in a suicide of a participant should end regardless of any consideration for additional factors?

Bindy Badgy
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

So every show that results in a suicide of a participant should end regardless of any consideration for additional factors?

We don't know the full story at the moment but, from what has been released it looks like his relationship broke down after he failed a lie detector test on the show. As stated earlier in the thread lie detectors are not reliable but, Kyle represents the results as if they are. This type of behaviour shouldn't have occurred at all and it absolutely should stop if someone has killed themselves as a result of it.

Reality TV shows have a duty of care toward participants.

This has clearly broken down with Jezza Kyle and Love Island is also under fire for abandoning cast members (another suicide)

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Cancelled forever after a guest killed himself the day after failing a lie detector test on the show.

It was always going to take something like this to happen before this human zoo shite was taken off air

And that for me is the real lesson. I only saw the show once when trapped in an airline departure lounge with the show blaring out at full volume. Loosely based on the Jerry Springer show in the States but without the redeeming feature of the traces of humanity and humour Springer demonstrated, I found it difficult to watch or listen to without feeling sick and angry that it was allowed to be broadcast.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

No one has said that have they?

hughesie27
1 minute ago, Stokesy said:

We don't know the full story at the moment but, from what has been released it looks like his relationship broke down after he failed a lie detector test on the show. As stated earlier in the thread lie detectors are not reliable but, Kyle represents the results as if they are. This type of behaviour shouldn't have occurred at all and it absolutely should stop if someone has killed themselves as a result of it.

The guests will be well informed that lie detector tests are not 100% accurate before agreeing to take part in one. The show puts a disclaimer up before every result saying that they are not 100% reliable. Not sure what else they are meant to do. I've not seen the clip from this particular guys situation so can't say whether or not it was represented as fact or not.

Point stands that shows shouldn't just be taken off air because somebody commits suicide.

Chances are there will be a whole load of outside factors which led to this tragedy.

hughesie27

Unfortunately through work I end up seeing quite a lot of this show in the background. From what I've seen they provide a tonne of further counselling and support for participants which is not aired on TV. He's also helped a lot of families in very shitty circumstances. People who don't watch it and just associate it with his arrogant nature will be happy to jump on this bandwagon against it though.

No doubt it is car crash tele which I'm happy not to have to watch again but it seems a knee jerk reaction that sets an interesting precedent.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Thank God it finished one of the most distasteful programmes ever aired. 

:spoton: 

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The guests will be well informed that lie detector tests are not 100% accurate before agreeing to take part in one. The show puts a disclaimer up before every result saying that they are not 100% reliable. Not sure what else they are meant to do. I've not seen the clip from this particular guys situation so can't say whether or not it was represented as fact or not.

Point stands that shows shouldn't just be taken off air because somebody commits suicide.

Chances are there will be a whole load of outside factors which led to this tragedy.

Shouldn't shows have some responsibility to people who are obviously highly vulnerable beyond simply warnings and disclaimers? I think a lot of participants in "reality TV" programmes need psychiatric help not national publicity on an entertainment show. I thought the same when watching Louis Theroux's recent show (sorry documentary) which intruded on the lives of women suffering severe post-natal depression, brought on by underlying psychological problems, of which (in layman's terms) attention seeking seemed to be a symptom. Theroux pitched in with his own amateur psychoanalysis while the women were consulting their doctors.

Bindy Badgy
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

They shouldn't have used lie detectors at all.

Love Island, which is also shown on ITV, is going ahead despite two former contestants committing suicide so it isn't a case of cancelling every show featuring someone that has killed themselves. It looks like there is a more direct link between the suicide and the appearance on the show With Jeremy Kyle than there is with Love Island.

hughesie27
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Shouldn't shows have some responsibility to people who are obviously highly vulnerable beyond simply warnings and disclaimers? I think a lot of participants in "reality TV" programmes need psychiatric help not national publicity on an entertainment show. I thought the same when watching Louis Theroux's recent show (sorry documentary) which intruded on the lives of women suffering severe post-natal depression, brought on by underlying psychological problems, of which (in layman's terms) attention seeking seemed to be a symptom. Theroux pitched in with his own amateur psychoanalysis while the women were consulting their doctors.

As I pointed out they provide a lot of access to professional counselling after being part of the show. Having watched 1 episode it's understandable that you wouldn't know this.

hughesie27
6 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

They shouldn't have used lie detectors at all.

Love Island, which is also shown on ITV, is going ahead despite two former contestants committing suicide so it isn't a case of cancelling every show featuring someone that has killed themselves. It looks like there is a more direct link between the suicide and the appearance on the show With Jeremy Kyle than there is with Love Island.

We can pretty much guarantee there will be no lie detector tests in this years show.

There is a big push for LI to be cancelled as well.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

As I pointed out they provide a lot of access to professional counselling after being part of the show. Having watched 1 episode it's understandable that you wouldn't know this.

Fair enough. If you have watched more than one episode I understand why you might defend it.

hughesie27

Bit rich of the Government to come out saying they are concerned about the events when their own policies put hundreds on the verge or beyond suicide everyday.

Салатные палочки
3 hours ago, Jambothump said:

If you compare the earliest episodes, where they tried to reason help and debate peoples problems.

To later, not much later, where Jeremy Kyle becomes a shouting, bullying  moron, as for Graham, now there was a waste of a wank.

That Graham will be shiting himself at the thought of getting a proper job. A guy Jeremy Kyle called "the genius" comes on a tells an alcoholic they have an alcohol problem. Utter baird of a guy. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

John Findlay

Never watched an episode. However I don't for one minute believe the show had any part to do with the man that committed suicide. It makes for good headlines in the tabloids.

Sadly people commit suicide everyday. We average one a day on the UkRail network. Let's stop trains. They've killed far more persons than any tv show.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Never watched an episode. However I don't for one minute believe the show had any part to do with the man that committed suicide. It makes for good headlines in the tabloids.

Sadly people commit suicide everyday. We average one a day on the UkRail network. Let's stop trains. They've killed far more persons than any tv show.

I don't think that is a great analogy TBH. What triggers suicide is separate from the means adopted to do it.

Anyway count yourself luck you never watched an episode.  

hughesie27
Just now, Francis Albert said:

I don't think that is a great analogy TBH. What triggers suicide is separate from the means adopted to do it.

Do you think the appearance of the show was the sole reason this guy decided to take his own life?

If it wasn't isn't this whole thing a bit knee jerk?

As I've said before I don't really care for The JKS but this move just sets a very bizarre precedent for the future.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No trains people can't jump in front of them then.

Francis Albert
38 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Do you think the appearance of the show was the sole reason this guy decided to take his own life?

If it wasn't isn't this whole thing a bit knee jerk?

As I've said before I don't really care for The JKS but this move just sets a very bizarre precedent for the future.

I had a slight urge to do myself in when watching the show But no at most it was just the trigger and you can't ban things for that.

gashauskis9
6 hours ago, Stokesy said:

This.

Kyle was so ****ing thick that he even admits that it’s only 95% accurate, and despite using it in over 100 episodes still calls everyone who fails it a liar.

Folk will have to pay for DNA tests now, what a national tragedy ?

Edited by Gashauskis9

maroonlegions

Sad as it was this man taking his own life, and  the sadness all his family and relatives are feeling, society as a whole is RIGGED to keep the well off at the top. While not intending to score a political point  , sometimes, not always , tragedies like this open up much larger concerns, like the ever growing gulf of the haves and have nots and the way TV and the media serve that reality up to the masses.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, maroonlegions said:

Sad as it was this man taking his own life, and  the sadness all his family and relatives are feeling, society as a whole is RIGGED to keep the well off at the top. While not intending to score a political point  , sometimes, not always , tragedies like this open up much larger concerns, like the ever growing gulf of the haves and have nots and the way TV and the media serve that reality up to the masses.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Of course you aren't intending to make a political point!

maroonlegions
37 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course you aren't intending to make a political point!

Nope ,  the term "intending" and its meaning  can be a precarious at times,   but  regarding that meme,  and its content, one would be hard pushed not to. Sometimes politics ,if not always, invades all aspects of life, like money. 

Edited by maroonlegions

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Nope ,  the term "intending" and its meaning  can be a precarious at times,   but  regarding that meme,  and its content, one would be hard pushed not to. Sometimes politics ,if not always, invades all aspects of life, like money. 

I guess no one commits suicide under Labour governments.

132goals1958
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

And that for me is the real lesson. I only saw the show once when trapped in an airline departure lounge with the show blaring out at full volume. Loosely based on the Jerry Springer show in the States but without the redeeming feature of the traces of humanity and humour Springer demonstrated, I found it difficult to watch or listen to without feeling sick and angry that it was allowed to be broadcast.

My feelings also and can say the brief sequences when I was on the wrong channel would not have covered an episode. A sad indictment that the repulsive character who presented the show invaded households at day time especially during school holidays. The grotesque show should  have been on at midnight if at all. 

jack D and coke

If you’ve never watched Jezza and thoroughly enjoyed it you’re a liar. 

Hilarious stuff. 

23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Drinking on an empty head. Utter pish!

John Findlay
Just now, ri Alban said:

Drinking on an empty head. Utter pish!

You should know. You spout more pish than anyone else on here.