Lesley Ash receives ?5m payout

felix

I P Knightley
..for loss of earnings after contracting MRSA (or MSSA ?) in hospital

payout based on loss of earnings.

How was she going to earn that amount, with those trout lips ? :confused:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3201003.ece

Not bad dough for one night of rough sex...

Seriously, I think it's obscene. There must be quite a few others who have been adversely affected by MRSA, possibly to a worse extent than Leslie Ash, yet they don't have the wherewithal to mount a legal challenge and therefore receive little of no compensation.

The press, a couple of days ago, were suggesting that she might get ?500k. That would have been much more sensible. It would have got the headlines, drawn attention to what the NHS has been doing to rectify the problems and left ?4.5m that could have been divvied out as compo to other sufferers.

I used to like Leslie Ash (esp. Quadrophenia). I'm sure that she had little to do with the size of the payout but I hope that she gives a sizeable chunk of it away to better causes than herself.

Apologies if all this is covered in the article you linked to. I just got carried away on a rant with out reading it.

Carl Fredrickson

I wouldn tblame her for the payout - she suffered in hospital due to the lack of care and the award was made by our court system.

Blame the NHS or the system - if it was one of us getting more than we really could earn, we would be over the moon.

maltese jambo

i think its scandelous

1. She doesnt need that money. end of story.

2. what kind of a legal system is it when the level of justice you get depends on how rich you are?

This situation signifies everything that is wrong with a capitalist system.

'Democracy' has to be the most misleading word in the dictionary

The Mighty Thor
Lesley Ash - yes

sub2_primary.jpg

Lesley Ash - no

Botox01t.jpg

She looks like Pete Burns in the bottom picture.

She should sue whoever it was that botox'd her lips.

Not bad dough for one night of rough sex...

Seriously, I think it's obscene. There must be quite a few others who have been adversely affected by MRSA, possibly to a worse extent than Leslie Ash, yet they don't have the wherewithal to mount a legal challenge and therefore receive little of no compensation.

The press, a couple of days ago, were suggesting that she might get ?500k. That would have been much more sensible. It would have got the headlines, drawn attention to what the NHS has been doing to rectify the problems and left ?4.5m that could have been divvied out as compo to other sufferers.

I used to like Leslie Ash (esp. Quadrophenia). I'm sure that she had little to do with the size of the payout but I hope that she gives a sizeable chunk of it away to better causes than herself.

Apologies if all this is covered in the article you linked to. I just got carried away on a rant with out reading it.

Agree with what you say.

Used to have a paper round (ages ago) and I'm sure she was on the front cover of every Jackie magazine:) Highlight of her career was "Rosie Dixon Night Nurse" tho :wacko:

Payout's obscene..the hospital were patching her wounds after being knocked about by that knob she married...there's people who've suffered injury after medical mistakes who simply accept mistakes happen....we truly have become a greedy, compensation seeking society.

Agree with what you say.

Used to have a paper round (ages ago) and I'm sure she was on the front cover of every Jackie magazine:) Highlight of her career was "Rosie Dixon Night Nurse" tho :wacko:

Payout's obscene..the hospital were patching her wounds after being knocked about by that knob she married...there's people who've suffered injury after medical mistakes who simply accept mistakes happen....we truly have become a greedy, compensation seeking society.

Would you not be slightly miffed though if you went into hospital for something, came out patched up but to also have caught MRSA due to the hospital not being cleaned properly and as such were unable to work? She is self employed after all.

Not the Doctors fault, or the Nurses. Symptomatic of how the NHS is being run where patient care is a commodity and not a given. Quite how you put a price on someones health i don't know...

As for the payout, well it is based on her earnings. Was she not in the Bill? That would've paid quite well, given who she is, not to mention the odd appearance on Loose Women, Lottery shows, Countdown (..eh?) etc etc etc

Miller Jambo 60
Lesley Ash - yes

sub2_primary.jpg

Lesley Ash - no

Botox01t.jpg

Like it mate good one loved that film 5 mill is a joke but so is the NHS im saying no more.:)

?500K would not have been enough, she was a fairly successful actress, she hasn't worked for years, since getting MRSA, she now walks with a stick, her life has been ruined.

She had maybe 20 years of working left, earning conservatively ?100K a year, that's ?2M, plus compensation for pain, distress etc. Maybe ?3M would have been more reasonable, but I wouldn't have been been happy if I'd been offered ?500K and my earning potential is somewhat less than hers.

I think people are giving her a hard time because she screwed up her looks with those ridiculous collagen injections. She was to blame for that, but not for contracting MRSA. That wasn't her fault and those administrators and managers in the NHS who cut staff, put more responsibility on nurses to do everything, including domestic's work, and who have royally screwed up a once fantastic health service should be held accountable.

Would you not be slightly miffed though if you went into hospital for something, came out patched up but to also have caught MRSA due to the hospital not being cleaned properly and as such were unable to work? She is self employed after all.

Not the Doctors fault, or the Nurses. Symptomatic of how the NHS is being run where patient care is a commodity and not a given. Quite how you put a price on someones health i don't know...

As for the payout, well it is based on her earnings. Was she not in the Bill? That would've paid quite well, given who she is, not to mention the odd appearance on Loose Women, Lottery shows, Countdown (..eh?) etc etc etc

I agree, I think that if a patient contracts MRSA and sues the NHS the money should come from that hospitals budget, that way the powers at be of the hosp would be making sure its clean .

Markets.

Insurance markets set these prices for all sorts of risks every day. A private supplier of healthcare would require insurance against these kinds of risks. That establishes the pricing. In addition a private supplier of healthcare would have a strong incentive to avoid dirty hospitals and the risks therein.

?5m is a lot of Bill episodes.

No-one is saying hospitals shouldn't clean up their acts, but there's ways to ensure they do without suing their ars*s off.

This case - and the Scottish case currrently running - is nothing to do with improving standards, it's about getting as much money from the NHS as possible.

i think its scandelous

1. She doesnt need that money. end of story.

2. what kind of a legal system is it when the level of justice you get depends on how rich you are?

This situation signifies everything that is wrong with a capitalist system.

'Democracy' has to be the most misleading word in the dictionary

law has to be consistant rather than fair, a legal system based on on fairness brings in personal opinions and inconsistancies and leads to a system that is infact less fair

also, do realise that the this case never went to court and that it was the nhs that agreed to the payment, a judge may have decided on a different amount of compensation

also, mrsa is present in many places, most of you will have been exposed to it and many will be carrying it right now, as will most guests when visiting hospitals. to totally prevent mrsa would be near impossible as many patiets will come in having it on their person at th epoint of being injured

although i agree more could be done to combat mrsa, one of the more effective measures would be to insist that visitors to patients be required to wear facemasks and/or gloves when meeting the most at risk patients

Markets.

Insurance markets set these prices for all sorts of risks every day. A private supplier of healthcare would require insurance against these kinds of risks. That establishes the pricing. In addition a private supplier of healthcare would have a strong incentive to avoid dirty hospitals and the risks therein.

My point was more that where you have the NHS, free access to healthcare to all is its underlying ethos.

If NHS trusts are skimping on cleaning services, sorry tendering for cleaning where cost is more important than quality despite what the blurb on best value is, just to stay within budget then this tells me that healthcare isn't universally accessable to all as there will come a time when the money runs out.

I am not saying that money should be thrown willy-nilly at the NHS and I am not saying that it shouldn't be managed efficiently. What I am saying is that if patient care is at anyway at risk due to budgetary considerations then this is wrong.

maltese jambo
law has to be consistant rather than fair, a legal system based on on fairness brings in personal opinions and inconsistancies and leads to a system that is infact less fair

also, do realise that the this case never went to court and that it was the nhs that agreed to the payment, a judge may have decided on a different amount of compensation

also, mrsa is present in many places, most of you will have been exposed to it and many will be carrying it right now, as will most guests when visiting hospitals. to totally prevent mrsa would be near impossible as many patiets will come in having it on their person at th epoint of being injured

although i agree more could be done to combat mrsa, one of the more effective measures would be to insist that visitors to patients be required to wear facemasks and/or gloves when meeting the most at risk patients

Regarding MRSA...

the very simple solution is discipline and responsibility

Discipline in terms of cleaning reigemes: Cleaning is currently outsourced in hospitals such as ERI and quite frankly the safety of the patients is not their prioirity. I recently witnessed a cleaner sweeping dust and dirt and just stashing it into a cupboard. Responsibility needs to be taken by firms who are cleaning hospitals found with MRSA.

Discipline in terms of allowing visitors into the hospitals: Visiting times should be enforced more strictly. Visitors are basically allowed now to come in at any point not only disturbing patients who need rest but also bringing in dirt all the time. Enforcing the visiting times would mean that the areas could be cleaned accordingly after they have all left.

Simple stuff at the end of the day

i'm guessing that since the nhs has sufficient control over the cleaners that they can't sue the cleaning companies to recover some of the compensation they need to pay

I remember being in A&E (wont mention what hospital) about 6 months ago where a small child had an accident and wet himself on the chair. For the next two hours I was there, the puddle still hadn't been cleaned up, even after repeated efforts from the mother to try and tell the staff what had happened. When we got into the treatment room, there was also what looked like dried blood on the floor and a suspicious brown smear on the wall

Its no wonder that people are catching "superbugs" in there. I felt like I was going to catch something and it wasn't me that was getting treated. I dread going into hospital if something ever happens to me.

The cleaners, from what I've seen, don't really seem to give a toss. This is however just my opinion :)

My point was more that where you have the NHS, free access to healthcare to all is its underlying ethos.

If NHS trusts are skimping on cleaning services, sorry tendering for cleaning where cost is more important than quality despite what the blurb on best value is, just to stay within budget then this tells me that healthcare isn't universally accessable to all as there will come a time when the money runs out.

I am not saying that money should be thrown willy-nilly at the NHS and I am not saying that it shouldn't be managed efficiently. What I am saying is that if patient care is at anyway at risk due to budgetary considerations then this is wrong.

Completely agree.

It is unfortunate that the result of Brown's experiments with raising public spending has been mostly about increasing the numbers of bureaucrats and their salaries rather than on treatment/cleaning/patient care (education, military equipment etc etc etc).

You could still have free healthcare to all under a privatised NHS - many issues obviously - but the one point here is that there would be a clear incentive for a hospital owner to keep it clean (as they could go bust if there were these kinds of payouts). Nobody expects NHS trusts to go bust - the Government pays - so there are no incentives.

Billy the Jambo

I was in hospital for 1 week with a stomach and bladder problem in May last year the hospital discharged me but i still didn,t feel right but i thought the doctors know what they are doing so off i went ,The following day i got a phone call from said hospital to tell me i had to come in as they had found cultures in my blood . I was admitted to the same ward i had left the previous day then after 1 week they transferred me tothe infectious diseases unit it was only then i found out the cultures were MRSA so i spent 4 weeks on antibiotics fed through a drip a fecking nightmare i wouldnt wish it on anyone not even a hibee . i am waiting on the outcome on the case currently going on in the weege to see if i have a chance of a claim .I have not seen a lawyer yet but i will if this old woman is successful i think i may have a chance

I P Knightley
I was in hospital for 1 week with a stomach and bladder problem in May last year the hospital discharged me but i still didn,t feel right but i thought the doctors know what they are doing so off i went ,The following day i got a phone call from said hospital to tell me i had to come in as they had found cultures in my blood . I was admitted to the same ward i had left the previous day then after 1 week they transferred me tothe infectious diseases unit it was only then i found out the cultures were MRSA so i spent 4 weeks on antibiotics fed through a drip a fecking nightmare i wouldnt wish it on anyone not even a hibee . i am waiting on the outcome on the case currently going on in the weege to see if i have a chance of a claim .I have not seen a lawyer yet but i will if this old woman is successful i think i may have a chance

That bad?

I think that the Lesley Ash case has set the precedent for establishing negligence. By the sound of it you aren't in as bad a state as she has made herself out to be with the walking stick and all but if the courts have awarded her damages, it's likely that you will be in line for some compo too - assuming that the Scots courts follow the English.

Good luck.

Tanya Page contracted the MRSA bug during childbirth in hospital.

She developed osteoporisis and arthiritis and has never worked since. She was claiming ?250,000

NHS lawyers claimed "MRSA is a risk patients take when entering hospital".

The case never made it to court as Ms Page allegedly couldn't meet the legal costs.

I'll bet she feels good about Lesley Ash's crusade. :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/01/mrsa.uknews

Billy the Jambo
That bad?

I think that the Lesley Ash case has set the precedent for establishing negligence. By the sound of it you aren't in as bad a state as she has made herself out to be with the walking stick and all but if the courts have awarded her damages, it's likely that you will be in line for some compo too - assuming that the Scots courts follow the English.

Good luck.

I feel fine now i was or not as bad as MS Ash claimed to be but if i do get any compo i dont think it will be as much as 5million i dont think Lothian Health Boards finances willstretch to that mores the pity

I P Knightley
I feel fine now i was or not as bad as MS Ash claimed to be but if i do get any compo i dont think it will be as much as 5million i dont think Lothian Health Boards finances willstretch to that mores the pity

Why not?

I'll bet you're every bit as talented an actress as her and probably twice as pretty ;)

Billy the Jambo
Why not?

I'll bet you're every bit as talented an actress as her and probably twice as pretty ;)

Why thank you i didnt know you cared

I P Knightley
Tanya Page contracted the MRSA bug during childbirth in hospital.

She developed osteoporisis and arthiritis and has never worked since. She was claiming ?250,000

NHS lawyers claimed "MRSA is a risk patients take when entering hospital".

The case never made it to court as Ms Page allegedly couldn't meet the legal costs.

I'll bet she feels good about Lesley Ash's crusade. :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/01/mrsa.uknews

I hope I haven't given the impression that I am critical of Lesley Ash's role in this.

She was right to seek compensation and (if reports are to be believed) she would have been content with ?500k to ?1m.

What's wrong is that the system has decided to give her this massive amount, presumably being swayed by her high profile.

(My view is that the botox, her age and her acting ability had effed her career before the MRSA did)

What's also very wrong is the NHS's role in the whole thing. Points from others above highlight all that is wrong with their attitude to cost/value/service delivery.

The story you've posted is horrific. I hope the lass in question will receive support now to mount a serious challenge and get what she is due.

I hope I haven't given the impression that I am critical of Lesley Ash's role in this.

She was right to seek compensation and (if reports are to be believed) she would have been content with ?500k to ?1m.

What's wrong is that the system has decided to give her this massive amount, presumably being swayed by her high profile.

(My view is that the botox, her age and her acting ability had effed her career before the MRSA did)

QUOTE]

You haven't given a critical impression of Lesley Ash's role in this Ivan...but I am. She's now got a chance to do some good and donate a large wad to help finance MRSA eradication...or she can invest in her husbands pub !

She must also take on some of the blame & responsibility ..or at least Lee Chapman should, for putting her in hospital in the first place. As you say, it's botched plastic surgery that's fecked her career, not MRSA.

I also have a problem with blame & claim culture. If you really want to find a culprit for this sorry episode, look no further than the tw*t who put her in hospital.

For truly inspirational role models, look at local lawyer Olivia Giles. Wrongly diagnosed with flu, struck down with meningitis, loses her limbs. Instead of suing...she starts a sucessful meningitis charity :thumbs_up:

Take heed Lesley.

Archived