Do you rate Robbie Neilson

H J Simpson

Do you rate Robbie Neilson  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you rate Robbie Neilson

• Yes
    • No

not the best, but not the worst.

at the end of the day there are millions of people who deserve abuse on here before Robbie. Thats what really gets my goat.

HMFCjamieHMFC

at the end of the day there are millions of people who deserve abuse on here before Robbie. Thats what really gets my goat.

like who?

Robbie is not HMFC quality and is vastly over paid. He is slow, cant pass and even when he has no man to beat he still gets beaten. Out of his depth.....full stop

To me, Robbie Neilson does not have the natural ability that many other players have. He compensates for this through hard work and effort which means he performs just as good as players with better "natural ability".

Like the rest of the team, his form has been quite erratic this season. He has though, performed much better than most of the squad and yet got more stick than most.

I voted yes.

I would also vote yes to a ban on all threads about Robbie Neilson.

I not a big fan of Robbie but for the love of god can we try to go a whole day without somebody starting a poll or a thread about Robbie. It's most tiresome!

Billy Bigtime

What he said!

I voted no because he is simply devoid of any of the technical abilities that i would want from any Professional Footballer, let alone someone who has played for his National Team and with Hearts for 10 YEARS.

Gimme an H...

IMO Robbie Neilson shouldnt be a footballer. IMO he is garbage. IMO anyone who thinks he is any good at anything needs their eyes examined.

However, as long as he wears the strip I'll be supporting him.

P.S. can we make this the last ever Robbie Neilson thread?

Quite a balanced result so far, so all of you guys out there who think you are always right when it comes to Robbie not being good enough, here is yet more proof you are not in the majority. It always tends to be a 50/50 debate but the haters seem to think we should listen to them more.

Cant believe the amount of people on here that "rate" him as a footballer. Maybe you do not think he deserves abuse or that he "tries his best" but that is not the question. Do you rate him? Well, do you? Surely any sane person will respond with....... NO.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Robbie as a person, consumate prefessional who gives his best in every game but he is just garbage at playing football and everyone who pays good money to watch their team has their right to vent their frustration.

My main issue here (and always has been) is that you cannot blame Robbie - or anyone else for that matter - because they are poor players (they dont pick themselves). You can however, blame them for not performing/trying. That is one thing that Robbie IMO has not been guilty of during his 10 years at HMFC.

Yes i rate him, 2 out of 10. The 2 is for being reasonably fit and having a long throw, but he loses points for lack of pace, lack of ability, lack of positional sense, having a poor first touch, not being able to cross a ball, not being able to run with the ball, kicking the ball into touch numerous times with nobody near him, poor link up play, poor passing, and having the ability to put us under pressure and turn attack into defence by just being crap.

Just a few minor tweaks to his game and he'll be fine though. He's only 29, he has great potential.

tommythejambo

To be honest as Neilson is a Hearts player I always get behind him and all that at the games.

We must have some very naive fans (or fans who have never seen a real right back before) to think that Robbie Neilson is good enough to play for a team with top half ambitions in the SPL. He is easily the least talented full back in the SPL, he doesn't have the pace to make up for it, and therefore shouldn't be playing for Hearts.

That's just my opinion.

To be honest as Neilson is a Hearts player I always get behind him and all that at the games.

We must have some very naive fans (or fans who have never seen a real right back before) to think that Robbie Neilson is good enough to play for a team with top half ambitions in the SPL. He is easily the least talented full back in the SPL, he doesn't have the pace to make up for it, and therefore shouldn't be playing for Hearts.

That's just my opinion.

possibly the stupidest thing ive ever read.

Sergio Garcia
Cant believe the amount of people on here that "rate" him as a footballer. Maybe you do not think he deserves abuse or that he "tries his best" but that is not the question. Do you rate him? Well, do you? Surely any sane person will respond with....... NO.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Robbie as a person, consumate prefessional who gives his best in every game but he is just garbage at playing football and everyone who pays good money to watch their team has their right to vent their frustration.

My main issue here (and always has been) is that you cannot blame Robbie - or anyone else for that matter - because they are poor players (they dont pick themselves). You can however, blame them for not performing/trying. That is one thing that Robbie IMO has not been guilty of during his 10 years at HMFC.

Exactly my thoughts on this

I wish Levein or JJ would put a bid in for him. It's annoying not having any attacking full backs. On one side you've got Neilson taking 3 touches to control before punting it or chipping the ball forward to whoever is infront of him giving them a hard time controlling it. On the other side you've got Bambi, I think he could be a good player if he was playing in a different country where he isn't closed down as quick.

Anyway, 2 new full backs please.

HMFCjamieHMFC
any opposition player. i.e. anyone who doesnt play for Hearts

good point so would i but i thought you meant hearts players

tommythejambo
maybe i just imagined finish in the top half all those times :confused:

No you never imagined it.

The only reason we have finished top all these prior seasons is because the rest of our team (mainly the defence) was solid.

Felix played in goals for Brazil in the 1970's world cup. He was not up to a World cup standard but he still played for the greatest team ever.

You need more than one bad player to make a team bad.

So in response to the quoted statement:

I believe that is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Also in response to Lord BJ, the reason no-one has madet he position their own is that everytime someone starts to look half decent in the position they are inexplicably dropped.

Definately nowhere near good enough for where we want to go. The same goes for quite a few others. Although I would say he is one of the worst players at the club. There is only 2 maybe 3 worse than him.

But if he plays on a saturday he will get my support. I voted no.

As it says on the tin 0- theres that much debate about him here I'm just curious on the general split.

Yes I rate him as one of the worst passers we have ever had, his completion rate of passes to his team-mates must be one of the lowest of any HMFC player.

How many people who voted 'YES' thought the question was 'Do you hate Robbie Neilson?' ?

:cool:. Can't believe there is so many yes votes. Shows how we can all see things differently but geez I thought this would have been a no-brainer.:P

tommythejambo
:cool:. Can't believe there is so many yes votes. Shows how we can all see things differently but geez I thought this would have been a no-brainer.:P

You've got a point there. Especially when you read the thread there seems to be very few folk in support.

I challenge a 'yes' voter to come out and explain why he is good enough to play for Hearts, without using the terms: 'He gives 100%' 'He is a grafter' or 'No-one else at Hearts has made the position their own'. Special points will be awarded for not mentionig the tackle in the Cup Final.

It'd be nice if there were more answers than just yes and no. Bit too black and white for my liking.

Neilson's a poor footballer, and nothing more than an adequate right back for a bottom six SPL side. Sadly, a bottom six SPL side is what we are at the moment - if we want to improve, we'll need to get in a few players of a better standard. Neilson would be good backup, assuming that he was prepared to play that role after five (?) years of first team football. However, he's not the first that we should be looking at getting rid of, and there are others who deserve the stick that he gets more than he does.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I'm fully aware that we've been a top six SPL side in every season so far that Neilson's been a regular. I'd argue that that was down to the players around him more than him, though - put simply, we had enough quality then to carry players like Neilson, which isn't the case any more.

You've got a point there. Especially when you read the thread there seems to be very few folk in support.

I challenge a 'yes' voter to come out and explain why he is good enough to play for Hearts, without using the terms: 'He gives 100%' 'He is a grafter' or 'No-one else at Hearts has made the position their own'. Special points will be awarded for not mentionig the tackle in the Cup Final.

I will give him his due's and say he has been playing better recently but you know that it is not going to last. Surely everyone can see that.

tommythejambo
Seriously, whose started to make that position look their own?

Tall. Despite being the new Beckanbaur to many for his early season form, he was pretty poor at RB.

Barassa. He was as bad as Robbie and was clearly played when not fit.

Karapidis. Has never really had a shot a RB though I would not have minded him getting an extended run.

Neither Burley or Rix seen fit to drop Neilson. Well except when Rix stated he was no longer selecting the team.

Valdas, did drop Neilson for a clearly unfit and unready Barassa. That was far from a roaring success.

I agree we have dropped players for no apparant reason, but RB thats not been the case. Mainly because we have signed CH's and tried to play them at RB and they look out of place.

I'll give you Barasa, aside from being mental he was as poor as neilson.

Tall was dodgy but he could atleast defend.

Karapidis was solid, just struggled to go forward.

The reason Neilson has never been replaced is mainly because it's hard to find a half decent right back these days. We also often tend to look outside Scotland when there is loads of potential replacements already here.

spot on

FWIW even if i didnt rate him i would still vote yes, purely for the point of it.

Peter Olivers Army
Yes i rate him, 2 out of 10. The 2 is for being reasonably fit and having a long throw, but he loses points for lack of pace, lack of ability, lack of positional sense, having a poor first touch, not being able to cross a ball, not being able to run with the ball, kicking the ball into touch numerous times with nobody near him, poor link up play, poor passing, and having the ability to put us under pressure and turn attack into defence by just being crap.

Just a few minor tweaks to his game and he'll be fine though. He's only 29, he has great potential.

Never thought I'd find myself mostly agreeing with you.

YES Robbie has been an upstanding pro for 10 years but he wasn't sent on 2 loan spells for nothing. He is, at best, St Mirren standard.

The mystique of the long throws has long since diminished & I can't remember the last time one led to anything positive.

Opposition wingers know they are in for a field day if they have any pace at all. Ask yourself this; Had John Colquhoun lined up against him, who would have come out on top?

Of course, JC was special & skinned most defenders but he would have ripped Robbie to shreds.

I WANT to like Robbie, I really do, but the last really decent thing he did was make THAT tackle in the final. But like Graham Weir & Neil Janczyk before him he can't live on one game.

In simple terms - yes.

There is no *****ing about really with him. He is a defender not a winger. More often than not I would bank on him over most of the fan dans that have been brought in over the last few years.

Ok so he is limited but he knows what he can and cant do and to me thats more important than anything else. So he has been caught out on occasion and they often lead to goals **** happens.

I'll tell you what when he leaves we will miss him. There are all these misty eyed people on here about Takis this and Maybury that but at the end of Takis's Hearts career he was struggling and maybury is no better than Robbie

Keep it up Robbie!

In simple terms - yes.

There is no *****ing about really with him. He is a defender not a winger. More often than not I would bank on him over most of the fan dans that have been brought in over the last few years.

Ok so he is limited but he knows what he can and cant do and to me thats more important than anything else. So he has been caught out on occasion and they often lead to goals **** happens.

I'll tell you what when he leaves we will miss him. There are all these misty eyed people on here about Takis this and Maybury that but at the end of Takis's Hearts career he was struggling and maybury is no better than Robbie

Keep it up Robbie!

Robbie is a terrible football player. Whenever the ball goes to him I ****e myself! Watching him try to bring the ball under control with about 5 touches, and then he panics because hes been closed down and hoofs the ball into the main stand.

How he has lasted 10 years at the club amazes me, a right back that can actually play football is essential for next season.

I have never rated him. I admire his commitment but his lack of basic skills are shocking.

I have watched Hearts for most seasons since 1967 and I have to say that we haven't had many good right backs over the years. Despite not rating Robbie I certainly don't rate him as one of the worst.

If Vlad is serious about us putting in a challenge for honours then Robbie has to go, he shouldn't be one of the first though.

I have never rated him. I admire his commitment but his lack of basic skills are shocking.

I have watched Hearts for most seasons since 1967 and I have to say that we haven't had many good right backs over the years. Despite not rating Robbie I certainly don't rate him as one of the worst.

If Vlad is serious about us putting in a challenge for honours then Robbie has to go, he shouldn't be one of the first though.

You`ve watched Hearts about 17 years longer than me G but i`d say we`ve had far far better RB`s than RN. Cowie, Burns, Kidd, Frail, Locke, MacPherson(and he wasn`t a natural RB!) there may be others i haven`t mentioned.

Come to think of it, David Murie who never really made it, had better basic skills than RN. At least he looked comfy on the ball and could pass.

In fact, im finding it hard to find one worse than RN in the time i`ve watched Hearts. (that`s from 1984 on a regular basis).

You`ve watched Hearts about 17 years longer than me G but i`d say we`ve had far far better RB`s than RN. Cowie, Burns, Kidd, Frail, Locke, MacPherson(and he wasn`t a natural RB!) there may be others i haven`t mentioned.

Come to think of it, David Murie who never really made it, had better basic skills than RN. At least he looked comfy on the ball and could pass.

In fact, im finding it hard to find one worse than RN in the time i`ve watched Hearts. (that`s from 1984 on a regular basis).

Hold on I never said he was one of the best. I totally agree all of them and others were a lot better. What I meant was that we've never really been blessed with many really good players in that position. I think my favorite would be either Frail or Locke.

In 1980 a certain Jim Denny played right back and if memory serves me right so did Colin More (although he normally played centre). So there's two, surely there must be more but there again maybe not.

I like him as he always tries but I don't think he's good enough. Whenever the ball goes to him you know it's going to result in an aimless punt up the park which will give the ball straight back to the opposition.

He's not good enough if we want to be challenging at the top end of the league.

He's done it before.Played in all of Burley's league games.Top of the league then.He's an easy scapegoat because the squad is nothing like it was then.

Get into that wee rat tomorrow,Robbie.;)

He's done it before.Played in all of Burley's league games.Top of the league then.He's an easy scapegoat because the squad is nothing like it was then.

Get into that wee rat tomorrow,Robbie.;)

I'd like to think that my earlier post on this topic would show that I'm far from the world's biggest Neilson hater, but I'd argue that it was more about the players around him back then than it was about him. The fact that he was in a team that was top of the league doesn't, on its own, prove that he's the sort of player that you'd want if you were trying to build a team to challenge at the top end of the table - I think that we can all agree that he isn't.

Then again, we're far from being a team that'll do that at the moment - and there are at best only slight signs of improvement.

Regardless, I'm sure that the vast majority of us get behind him when it counts.

I'd like to think that my earlier post on this topic would show that I'm far from the world's biggest Neilson hater, but I'd argue that it was more about the players around him back then than it was about him. The fact that he was in a team that was top of the league doesn't, on its own, prove that he's the sort of player that you'd want if you were trying to build a team to challenge at the top end of the table - I think that we can all agree that he isn't.

Then again, we're far from being a team that'll do that at the moment - and there are at best only slight signs of improvement.

Regardless, I'm sure that the vast majority of us get behind him when it counts.

I did state that it was a better team of players around him then,mate.The fact is that he was in that team,we were top of the league and he never received the abuse he gets now.We woudn't be having this conversation if we had the squad,and manager:eek:,of three years ago.

I'm with you in that we'll get behind him when it matters...on the park.

I was glad that someone replied to that, it's the most balanced thing that I'm ever likely to say in my whole life. :D

LOL!

Get yourself over to the robbie free "I hate Celtic" thread.That'll shake all that balanced nonsense out your system.:nooo:

Archived