Tonsillectomy

Guest Alex Guttenplan

I'm having one.

I've been told/read about the excruicating pain you experience but I can't help thinking they're trying to scare me (it's working).

Anyone else had one?

What's it like?

Who was it that said: "Without pain, life has no meaning" ?

Anyway, your life is about to become a lot more fulfilled.

CompleteIdiot
I'm having one.

I've been told/read about the excruicating pain you experience but I can't help thinking they're trying to scare me (it's working).

Anyone else had one?

What's it like?

Unless you have a really good reason for getting one, you shouldn't. Gargling with TCP stops most tonsil problems quickly.

They are part of your immune system. If you get rid of them, it's likely you will get more infections.

Unless they are affecting your breathing, you should find an alternative to this barbaric surgery.

Unless you have a really good reason for getting one, you shouldn't. Gargling with TCP stops most tonsil problems quickly.

They are part of your immune system. If you get rid of them, it's likely you will get more infections.

Unless they are affecting your breathing, you should find an alternative to this barbaric surgery.

I was diagnosed as having asthma until they linked my breathing problems to the throat. My sister went through the same (diagnosed with asthma etc) and had her tonsils removed and she's never touched an inhaler since. She does have a constant cold though.

I suppose there's no other way around it.

it's a skoosh I went through one as a 5 year old and all I can remember is being in an adult ward when I woke up no long term emeory of pain!

Mind you 13 yers is some time to be under anasthetic:eek:

had mine whipped out at the age of about 6 and while it was pretty sore it wasn't that bad really

i've heard that as an adult though, its really pretty painful.

they made me eat dry toast to aid the healing or something, but i still can't see how that would be the case :confused:

Carl Spackler

Had my tonsils out in 1984. As with folks above the dried toast was agony the ice cream was magic.

It definitely worked though, we stayed up that season and have done ever since.

ColtbridgeJambo

Aftercare

Persons are turned on their side after the operation to prevent the possibility of blood being drawn into the lungs (aspirated). Vital signs are monitored. Patients can drink water and other non-irritating liquids when they are fully awake.

Adults are usually warned to expect a very sore throat and some bleeding after the operation. They are given antibiotics to prevent infection, and some receive pain-relieving medications. For at least the first 24 hours, individuals are instructed to drink fluids and eat soft, pureed foods.

People are usually sent home the day of surgery. They are given instructions to call their surgeon if there is bleeding or earache, or fever that lasts longer than three days. They are told to expect a white scab to form in the throat between five and 10 days after surgery.

Risks

There are risks associated with any surgical procedure, including post-operative infection and bleeding.

Normal Results

Normal results include the correction of the condition for which the surgery was performed.

Morbidity and Mortality Rates

Morbidity other than minor post-surgical infection is uncommon. About one in every 15,000 tonsillectomies ends in death, either from the anesthesia or bleeding five to seven days after the operation.

CompleteIdiot
I was diagnosed as having asthma until they linked my breathing problems to the throat. My sister went through the same (diagnosed with asthma etc) and had her tonsils removed and she's never touched an inhaler since. She does have a constant cold though.

I suppose there's no other way around it.

Presumably you have tonsils that are obstructing your airway?

I'd get as many opinions as possible. My doctor wanted to yank my tonsils because I kept getting tonsil infections. I told him there was no way.

I don't tend to get ill now. The first sign of something wrong is sore tonsils for me. I gargle with TCP and I am generally fine.

The last time I had a major tonsil infection was quite a while back. This was in the USA. The doctor gave me a steroid shot and I was pretty much back to normal within a couple of hours. Doctors don't seem to believe in anything other than surgery to cure anything here. You are very unlikely to get a steroid shot for inflamed tonsils whether it works or not.

Be wary of the NHS. It's healthcare on the cheap. Very often the solution you are given is the cheapest and not the best for your health.

I got mine out 15 years ago, they have since grown back.

Not as sore as childbirth but it is quite painful. I think mine was worse because the wound got infected. Seemingly quite common so make sure you get to the docs if it doesn't get better quickly.

Susie-Jambo-66

Had mine taken out about 4 years ago. It isn't very pleasent as an adult but it nice not to get infections every other week.

The only down side is everytime I get the cold it ends in a chest infection.

Don't let that put you off getting it done it is worth it. :)

Presumably you have tonsils that are obstructing your airway?

I'd get as many opinions as possible. My doctor wanted to yank my tonsils because I kept getting tonsil infections. I told him there was no way.

I don't tend to get ill now. The first sign of something wrong is sore tonsils for me. I gargle with TCP and I am generally fine.

The last time I had a major tonsil infection was quite a while back. This was in the USA. The doctor gave me a steroid shot and I was pretty much back to normal within a couple of hours. Doctors don't seem to believe in anything other than surgery to cure anything here. You are very unlikely to get a steroid shot for inflamed tonsils whether it works or not.

Be wary of the NHS. It's healthcare on the cheap. Very often the solution you are given is the cheapest and not the best for your health.

The tonsils become enflamed easily, causing an irritation in my throat which exacerbated my 'asthma'.

It's been a long time coming. They recommended the op back when I was 6 but my parents refused on my behalf. Now they're saying it's best if I just get it over with.

CompleteIdiot
The tonsils become enflamed easily, causing an irritation in my throat which exacerbated my 'asthma'.

It's been a long time coming. They recommended the op back when I was 6 but my parents refused on my behalf. Now they're saying it's best if I just get it over with.

What age are you really? Your profile says 40. :confused: If you are under 21, put it off. People often outgrow things. I used to have hayfever in my teens.

What age are you really? Your profile says 40. :confused: If you are under 21, put it off. People often outgrow things. I used to have hayfever in my teens.

40?!

Must have been a mistake.

I'm only a young'un at 16. :sad:

Archived