Interdiddy Cup

Julio

Read this morning that Yogi is interested in entering the Bairns into the Interdiddy cup next season. If we plan to enter it as has been muted then should be exciting to see if we can finish above the bairns to see who claims the much vaunted interdiddy place. :)

In that case, I'd much rather finish behind the Bairns.

I dread being dragged down to the hobo's level by entering the Interdiddy. :mad:

In that case, I'd much rather finish behind the Bairns.

I dread being dragged down to the hobo's level by entering the Interdiddy. :mad:

With you on that one Therapist. Sad to see us even contemplating entering this farce of a competition. :mad:

Losing out on the Intertoto place could mean finishing in the bottom 6 and behind Hibs.

Surely no Hearts fan would want this?

With you on that one Therapist. Sad to see us even contemplating entering this farce of a competition. :mad:

Hopefully it's just Frail thinking out loud and isn't official club policy. :)

Sexton Hardcastle

Spurs have applied for it. As said before, the standerds of some teams entering are great. Athletico, Man city, Blackburn etc... It brings in Income, we Should qualify and gives another euro trip. Go for it!

Hopefully it's just Frail thinking out loud and isn't official club policy. :)

Heres hoping. He sure does have some strange ideas. Clums a footballer. ;)

Here we go again...."diddy", "farce"....etc, etc.

Just what tournament isn't beneath us now...???

Bordeaux reached the UEFA Cup Final via the Intertoto in 1996.

There a huge number of advantages to entering this tournament and also as a fan I get to see at least two games that matter as early as June...superb!

Just what tournament isn't beneath us now...???

Scottish Premier League

Scottish Cup

Yoofa Champions League

Yoofa Cup

World Club Championship (can't remember what this tourney is called nowadays)

Scottish Premier League

Scottish Cup

Yoofa Champions League

Yoofa Cup

World Club Championship (can't remember what this tourney is called nowadays)

Awesome....

Scottish Championship - Won 4 times since 1874 last in 1960

Scottish Cup - Won 7 times since 1874 (twice before 1900, four times in the next hundred years and once since 2000)

UEFA Cup - Best was the Quarter Final, once in 53 years. Next best after that was the 3rd round...once!

UEFA Champions Cup (in any format!)...8 Matches in 53 years, only once have we advanced past our first opponents.

World Club Championship....HA!

I really don't know if you are at the wind up or not but surely the main objective of a football club is to win matches and silverware. The stats above would suggest we are not really that strong in the ones that we enter. So maybe we should look at alternatives in order to improve our squad, increase our confidence and maybe give the club a winners mentality rather than the general tag of underdgogs.

I love our club and I believe in them. However, I am not going to be so arrogant as to label any tournament that we enter, or might enter as beneath us. Especially one with a past entrant list that includes some of the greatest clubs in Europe who have had considerably more domestic and European success than us.

I really don't know if you are at the wind up or not

I'm not.

surely the main objective of a football club is to win matches and silverware

I agree 100% with that main objective. However, in doing so we should not lower ourselves to the level of the Leithers. I value our integrity and dignity too much.

I'm not.

I agree 100% with that main objective. However, in doing so we should not lower ourselves to the level of the Leithers. I value our integrity and dignity too much.

does that mean we shouldnt take part in the uefa cup, spl, league cup or scottish cup?:confused:

Guest JamboRobbo

The way I see it, we've never lowered ourselves to entering the interdiddy before, and it's the last ever year of it next year, so I'd rather we didn't lower ourselves to hobo-esque levels of desperation, and leave ourselves another thing to laugh at them about (getting knocked out of interdiddy by diddy teams).

And I'd also rather we didn't tire our players oot with stupid interdiddy games when hopefully we'll have a new manager, new players, and a league campaign to concentrate on.

The way I see it, we've never lowered ourselves to entering the interdiddy before, and it's the last ever year of it next year, so I'd rather we didn't lower ourselves to hobo-esque levels of desperation, and leave ourselves another thing to laugh at them about (getting knocked out of interdiddy by diddy teams).

And I'd also rather we didn't tire our players oot with stupid interdiddy games when hopefully we'll have a new manager, new players, and a league campaign to concentrate on.

ha ha what have you been smoking? :P

im not fussed whether we enter or not,on one hand it would be nice to be in europe, on the other hand it is a crap tournament, and can have serious debilitating effects further on in the season. Its not as if our players dont get injured/unfit easy enough as it is...

does that mean we shouldnt take part in the uefa cup, spl, league cup or scottish cup?:confused:

Did you not read my previous post? :confused:

Of those you mention, it's ok for us to take part in the SPL, Scottish Cup and Yoofa Cup*.

The other one you mention is a diddy trophy, so that's not ok.

* Providing we enter it directly and not via the Interdiddy.

However, in doing so we should not lower ourselves to the level of the Leithers.

I suspected that this may have been a major factor in your decision making process.

Not exactly viewing the bigger picture is it?

Can anyone offer an explanation beyond "Because it is", as to why the inter-toto is beneath us.

Surely some chance of UEFA cup matches is better than none at all.

Surely it offers competitive matches (rather than friendlies) for our superstar new manager and his team of world beaters to gel.

Or we qualify from it and have an achievement in our history that Hibs could never emulate? Personally I don't really care what Hibs have done before, or will do in the future.

I take your second point, if any new manager decided that the time could be better spent in other ways then I would accept this as it would be based on a football decision.

hat's

What's farcical about it.

chester copperpot

I want a European trip next year, so am desperate for us to enter the interdiddy cup.

I dont care if its naff, I just fancy a wee trip away, even if it is to Latvia and the like.

I can see what you are saying there mate, but on the other hand, I would like to see us getting into the UEFA Cup next year. We all know we won't do it through the league so why not try this way. We play plenty of s*** teams in pre-season games anyway so just view it as that. Pre-season with something to play for.

Am I right in saying there are no something like 6/8 UEFA Cup places up for grabs via the Intertoto, or is that nonsense?

Guest JamboRobbo
Or we qualify from it and have an achievement in our history that Hibs could never emulate?

If we qualify, we only make the qualifying rounds of the UEFA? Something we've both done plenty times by being good enough to get there on merit.

I just think iIf we ain't good enough to qualify for UEFA through league performance, we shouldn't embarrass ourselves further by entering what is effectively a trophy for teams that weren't good enough to qualify....

Personally I don't really care what Hibs have done before, or will do in the future.

Fair enough. I think STILL being bigger and better than them, even when we're at our worst, and NOT stooping to their levels of desperation, is a small consolation to cling on to.

I take your second point, if any new manager decided that the time could be better spent in other ways then I would accept this as it would be based on a football decision.

I just hope we have a new manager in time that this decision can be made by him.

Guest JamboRobbo
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7246832.stm

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Aston Villa | Villa apply for the Intertoto Cup

Dont you know Martin it's a diddy cup how can Aston Villa lower themselves to this level.

Each club to their own mate. There is one season of the InterDiddy to go. We've never lowered ourselves to entering it before, so why start now in the last ever year of it?

Each club to their own mate. There is one season of the InterDiddy to go. We've never lowered ourselves to entering it before, so why start now in the last ever year of it?

like i say im not fussed either way, but if, and its a big if, we entered it and got through to the UEFA in our first and only attempt, you have to admit it would be funny as feck, just to wind the hobo's up with

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Its a tournament for Losers.

They can ram it as far as I'm concerned.

If it gets us playing competitive football earlier, it can't be a bad thing. We could do without a Malofeev-8 weeks in Germany-type pre-season.

I can see what you are saying there mate, but on the other hand, I would like to see us getting into the UEFA Cup next year. We all know we won't do it through the league so why not try this way. We play plenty of s*** teams in pre-season games anyway so just view it as that. Pre-season with something to play for.

Am I right in saying there are no something like 6/8 UEFA Cup places up for grabs via the Intertoto, or is that nonsense?

There are 11 places up for grabs. Hearts would have a decent chance of getting one of those places, we would probably be one of the best 11 teams in it. People sneer at the Intertoto but when it is merged into the UEFA Cup from 2009 should we refuse a UEFA Cup place because we've had a disappointing season and finished 5th in the league?

I agree with you, I would much rather see Hearts playing competitive football at Tynecastle pre-season instead of meaningless friendlies in Austria or Lithuania.

Remember that Hibs entered the European Cup when it was apparently below several teams. I can't understand why entering would be an embarrassment. I'm certainly in favour. :)

Agreed.

I'd be delighted if this sham of a 'tournament' ceased and we had taken no part in it whatsoever.

Please, please, please don't embarrass us by entering the Intertoto cup. :sad:

You mean you're not ALREADY totally embarrassed by us this season. I feckin am and to actually get into a position where we could qualify for the Intertoto cup would actually reduce the embarrasment slightly rather than cause more.

..I'd also rather we didn't tire our players oot with stupid interdiddy games when hopefully we'll have a new manager, new players, and a league campaign to concentrate on.

IMO, the only sensible reason not to enter.

That and it's a diddy trophy.

IMO, the only sensible reason not to enter.

That and it's a diddy trophy.

It certainly is as there is no actual trophy, just entry into the first round proper of the UEFA Cup for several teams. :cool_shades:

Archived