'98 cup winner on last legs

davemclaren

Think its time to join the legends team:10900:

He already has and is running around like a whippet!:smiley2:

grumpyespana
He already has and is running around like a whippet!:smiley2:

Always felt sorry for big Hammy because JJ was always ripping in to him during matches he must have been thick skinned lol, a for Hammy as a player nothing great but done a job for us yep Hammy was a likeable big lad.

Grumpy.

I always liked him and even though he'e been back at Tynecastle many times only the cretins ever boo him. I guess most fans like him pity there's no good song about him we could still sing.

Say What Again

Jeez! Slightly misleading thread title.

I thought one of the '98 team was at deaths door!

:10900:

Buffalo Bill

As far as our Scottish Cup win in 1998 is concerned, it is in my humble opinion that as soon as Jim Hamilton came on as a sub: he was the best player on the park and fought like a hero for us that day within those 12 minutes plus injury time.

Buffalo Bill

My money's on him playing for St Johnstone next season. Doubt if that will be the last we will see of him.

londonjambo
Always felt sorry for big Hammy because JJ was always ripping in to him during matches he must have been thick skinned lol, a for Hammy as a player nothing great but done a job for us yep Hammy was a likeable big lad.

Grumpy.

I think if you remove the word "skinned" from that, you're about right.

Hammy was not the sharpest tool in the box and always did better when he didnt have too much time to think about what he was going to do next.

Nice fella though

GC

I liked him.

An integral part of that fantastic side. One of the best times supporting Hearts was watching Jeffries construct that side and watching it grow and mature culminating, of course, in the 98 Cup Final triumph.

Good times.

Good luck Jim Hamilton too.

Scored goals with his head but his first touch was terrible!

He could open a tin of beans with his left foot man! Hellishly slow but a decent all round striker who knew where the net was. Overall an excellent signing, i'm sure he only cost about 100k. Imposters like Clum, Mole and Nade aren't fit to lace Hammy's boots.

Always liked him as a player and as BB says, his contribution in the 98 Cup final was massive.

He always gave us his best, knew where the goal was and never gave defenders peace.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I thought we got the best of him to be honest. Wasn't he booked after about 3 seconds of coming on in the 98 final. Thicker than **** in the neck of the bottle but a 98 cup winner which makes him a legend in my book.

Buffalo Bill
I like Hammy, but he was an absolute whore of a player.

Zero loyalty.

Was it not just the case though that Hearts sold him to make way for Darren Jackson in 1999?

Of course, he's 'had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus' but isn't that just the way it goes for a journeyman pro?

I'm not sure how it is he lacked loyalty, as I'm sure most managers would say that he always gave 100% for whoever he played for. For a striker who lacked finesse, he's made a decent career for himself by doing a good job for most of the clubs he's served.

These lads aren't bound to clubs like supporters. They're just trying to make a living, and guys like Hamilton can be proud of their careers as opposed to the likes of Kevin Thomas, who squandered what talent they had.

Buffalo Bill

Wonder if Hamilton has a soft spot for any of the umpteen sides he played for? Scored against Hibs for us, so will always have my utmost respect.

He blootered the ball miles up the park away from our box in dying minutes of the final and I remember thanking God that the ball had fallen to him, as nobody else had the strength left to do that.

Buffalo Bill

As well as being Hearts' top scorer in 97/98 with 15 goals, he also once set up a certain chance for a Mr J Quitongo - and this is what happened...

Quitongo.jpg

Buffalo Bill

An honest trier, we could do with a few more players like that.

If I remember correctly he joined in a rendition of "shoes off If you hate hibees" at Club Earth of all places not so long ago.

An honest trier, we could do with a few more players like that.

Careful, you'll wake the Neilson haters.

Wonder if Hamilton has a soft spot for any of the umpteen sides he played for? Scored against Hibs for us, so will always have my utmost respect.

He blootered the ball miles up the park away from our box in dying minutes of the final and I remember thanking God that the ball had fallen to him, as nobody else had the strength left to do that.

Two goals in the New Year's Day game '97.Should be applauded onto the park every time he came back to Tynecastle.He played a big part in the good league campaign of 97-98.Scored some important goals and,as others have said,was a trier who never hid.

Hope everything goes well for you,Hammie.

Decent player for us, crazy how many teams he has played for in the SPL!

Scored this cracker of a goal for Well v Celtic - not many would think he was capable of this:

watch?v=vHY5RcReg-g

Big Hammy is a great big guy. Know him quite well. Regrets leaving Hearts but was kinda forced into going plus Aberdeen were his team as a boy so it was a good move for him. He very nearly came back to us when leaving Aberdeen but couldnt agree terms and went to united instead. The big man may be pitching up at Falkirk or ICT soon!!!!:qqb007:

Thick as chips, and blotted his copybook a few times by giving it the GIRUY to our fans more than once!!

Radioactive Mince

I hate myself for saying this as it's very negative, but:

He's miles better than Nade....

Worth a punt IMO. Fact. Spot on. End off. Definately. Flabby Fail GTF. Mad Vald oot1111!1!! Greggs. Think he'll sign for St. Johnstone.

Apologies for having an opinion.

Mince.

I hate myself for saying this as it's very negative, but:

He's miles better than Nade....

How is that negative? A burst matress would be better than Nade. Unlike that useless fecker, Hammy actually knows how to score a goal. Too feckin right we should be considering him, even just for a squad player. He probably earns about 1/10th of Nade's salary too.

Was it not just the case though that Hearts sold him to make way for Darren Jackson in 1999?

Of course, he's 'had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus' but isn't that just the way it goes for a journeyman pro?

I'm not sure how it is he lacked loyalty, as I'm sure most managers would say that he always gave 100% for whoever he played for. For a striker who lacked finesse, he's made a decent career for himself by doing a good job for most of the clubs he's served.

These lads aren't bound to clubs like supporters. They're just trying to make a living, and guys like Hamilton can be proud of their careers as opposed to the likes of Kevin Thomas, who squandered what talent they had.

Buffalo Bill

I realise this post is probably to engage posters in a debate, but i think the points raised are invalid TBH.

A) Yes, Hearts did sell him. Have a look at the list of clubs he transferred between thereafter and you'll see he's a slut.

B) With regard to the 'Journeyman Pro' comment, i fail to understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that he always billed himself as a Journeyman Pro? Did he make it clear that he loved moving between clubs? If not, then the point is irrelevant and just further states my point about him being a whore.

C) Loyalty in giving 100% to each cause, yes. My comments RE loyalty are with regards to the fact he's worn the strip of the majority of SPL teams, normally for 1 or 2 seasons at best. I agree that some of these clubs may have moved him on, but he left the likes of Motherwell, Livi, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United off his own back. No one forced him out, as far as i'm aware.

D) I understand that these guys aren't bound to clubs like us, but Hamilton has had so many clubs it's unreal. You have to realise he's an exceptional case and IMO is undoubtedly open to questions about loyalty.

Cup winner though, so fair play.

I realise this post is probably to engage posters in a debate, but i think the points raised are invalid TBH.

A) Yes, Hearts did sell him. Have a look at the list of clubs he transferred between thereafter and you'll see he's a slut.

B) With regard to the 'Journeyman Pro' comment, i fail to understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that he always billed himself as a Journeyman Pro? Did he make it clear that he loved moving between clubs? If not, then the point is irrelevant and just further states my point about him being a whore.

C) Loyalty in giving 100% to each cause, yes. My comments RE loyalty are with regards to the fact he's worn the strip of the majority of SPL teams, normally for 1 or 2 seasons at best. I agree that some of these clubs may have moved him on, but he left the likes of Motherwell, Livi, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United off his own back. No one forced him out, as far as i'm aware.

D) I understand that these guys aren't bound to clubs like us, but Hamilton has had so many clubs it's unreal. You have to realise he's an exceptional case and IMO is undoubtedly open to questions about loyalty.

Utter nonsense. I know for a fact he didnt leave Hearts of his own back or Dundee Utd. He left Livi to go to Motherwell for better money. Dont comment if you havent got your facts right mate!!!!

I think your signature probably says more about you than it does John Hughes.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Was at his best when Neil McCann was doing all his running for him. Otherwise he was average at best.

grumpy rebus

Another player who highlighted the TEAM build by JJ. A trier who scored, playing alongside other players who created (McCann, Fulton, Adam....) and the blend worked. You need some carthorses to compliment the thoroughbreds.

I liked big Hammy and will always remember the goal he scored against Raith, when he was forced wide and we were all waiting for him to cross, so he curled it in at the back post!!!

As far as our Scottish Cup win in 1998 is concerned, it is in my humble opinion that as soon as Jim Hamilton came on as a sub: he was the best player on the park and fought like a hero for us that day within those 12 minutes plus injury time.

Buffalo Bill

Thats my main memory of the guy now as well. Well said mate.

Another player who highlighted the TEAM build by JJ. A trier who scored, playing alongside other players who created (McCann, Fulton, Adam....) and the blend worked. You need some carthorses to compliment the thoroughbreds.

I liked big Hammy and will always remember the goal he scored against Raith, when he was forced wide and we were all waiting for him to cross, so he curled it in at the back post!!!

I thought he was a footballing god after that goal :yes2:

I've never seen the full game again.

But my memory of the last few minutes of the Cup Final were that Rangers were shelling the ball into the box and Hammy got his head to everything. I wanted Robbo on the pitch but JJ was dead right to put Hammy on.

He used to link well with Fulton, Naysmith, McCann, Mickey and Stephane Adam in that tremendous team and was a real team player.

Victor Mancini
How is that negative? A burst matress would be better than Nade. Unlike that useless fecker, Hammy actually knows how to score a goal. Too feckin right we should be considering him, even just for a squad player. He probably earns about 1/10th of Nade's salary too.

in the words of terry tibbs "if he's lucky........"

Archived