• granton
    • pilton
    • drylaw
    • dumbiedykes
    • Clermiston
    • sighthhill
    • other (please state)

22 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Seeing people suggest Drylaw (my old residence), and Broomhouse (current) is hilarious to me. I’ve always been a bit of a shitebag but if I can do 21 years in those places, they’re not that bad

As you know, places change and different generations will have a different experience living in schemes. 

I grew up in the Calders during the late 70s, 80s and 90s, but apart from mucking around there, I’d occasionally head into Sighthill but very very rarely Wester Hailes even though I went to WHEC.

I have nothing but great memories of the Calders in the 80s but it was a mix of good people and simply put, bams.  Great times though but intermingled with those was plenty trouble going on too. Gang culture was still on the go, and talking of Broomie, they were often “at it” with Wester Hailes. Some serious stuff aswell that was out of order 

Still being in the Calders until the late 90s when I left and got married, the place had changed over the decade. Although it had actually got quieter, the the characters had gone, the lively vibe about the place had disappeared. If you were young growing up then, you wouldn’t have believed the stories from the previous decade.  

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tenaciousdandy

• Pasquale for King

• speedbump

• martoon

On 08/06/2009 at 21:26, Gavsy Van Gaverson said:

Broomhouse Grove is pretty dodgy (the square in the middle near the Gauntlet) but the rest of Broomhouse is far from the worst in Edinburgh.

Just my opinion though.

I used to cycle through Broomhouse on my way to work. Have an abiding memory of a woman waving her husband off to work and then letting her dressing gown fall open, wearing nada underneath. How I didn't crash and break my neck I'll never know? - was like something out of 70s sex comedy! I used to look for her every day on the way to work after that! Never saw her again... Haha

I can confirm my experience of Broomhouse was not rough.

Edited by Spellczech

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I used to cycle through Broomhouse on my way to work. Have an abiding memory of a woman waving her husband off to work and then letting her dressing gown fall open, wearing nada underneath. How I didn't crash and break my neck I'll never know? - was like something out of 70s sex comedy! I used to look for her every day on the way to work after that! Never saw her again... Haha

I can confirm my experience of Broomhouse was not rough.

And she wasn't either? :ermm: Really?   :arry:

:ruiner: :ruiner: :ruiner:

I walk backed through Broomhouse from a couple of workplaces - most recently in the early 00s - and the main problem at that time of day seemed to be feral brats, running about unchecked and doing whatever the feck they felt like: didn't bode well for what the area would be like ten or so years on from then. 

On 03/12/2020 at 21:32, Jambos_1874 said:

Take a look at this website. Really interesting and shows you deprived areas on an interactive map. Edinburgh is largely blue (good) with limited distinct areas of red (bad). Glasgow and the West are just big continuous areas of red.

https://simd.scot/#/simd2020/BTTTFTT/9/-4.0000/55.9000/

Thanks for this - spent a long time looking through this, really interesting!

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Inch?

Played them at footie in the sunday league, tbh cant remember the area, but they beat us

Rather good team.

Not Edinburgh,but have stayed in a few dives in West Lothian over the years.Chapelton Drive, Polbeth and The Flats,Kirkhill,Broxburn.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Barnton Avenue has to be one of the roughest places to live. 

It's a shithole. Makes Bar-Ox Land look respectable.

Seymour M Hersh

In all seriousness all the areas mentioned and those not mentioned in the poll have good and bad bits to them. The majority of people living in these areas are decent, hard working folk brought down by a minority of druggies, benefit scroungers and just bad *******s. 

A wee geography lesson - Dalkeith, Mayfield, Woodburn and Gorebridge are not in Edinburgh.

Most wrong with them by the way. Some of the best people I've ever met come from these places.

The problem with the poll is that areas can change from one year to the next depending on the amount of bams that are living there at the time and that one street in a ‘bad’ area can be a decent place to live whereas just round the corner is horrendous. 

7 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Played them at footie in the sunday league, tbh cant remember the area, but they beat us

Rather good team.

It’s pretty close to Gilmerton I think, Harry.

I’ve encountered a few ‘bad eggs’ from there over the years.  One person in particular that I’ve never forgotten nor forgiven, and never shall.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

A wee geography lesson - Dalkeith, Mayfield, Woodburn and Gorebridge are not in Edinburgh.

Most wrong with them by the way. Some of the best people I've ever met come from these places.

These are what were decent hardworking mining areas with a few bams.   A lit of good people in these places.   Joan Burnie had a double page spread in the record asking if Mayfield was the worst scheme in Scotland.  Compared to some of the rough areas of Glasgow?  Aye right.  

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It’s pretty close to Gilmerton I think, Harry.

I’ve encountered a few ‘bad eggs’ from there over the years.  One person in particular that I’ve never forgotten nor forgiven, and never shall.

Aye Gilmerton is close, I worked up in Liberton for 16 years with the SNBTS.

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

These are what were decent hardworking mining areas with a few bams.   A lit of good people in these places.   Joan Burnie had a double page spread in the record asking if Mayfield was the worst scheme in Scotland.  Compared to some of the rough areas of Glasgow?  Aye right.  

There was a similar article in the News of the World about Boghall in Bathgate, where I mostly grew up. Calling it the worst housing scheme in Britain. Totally ridiculous. Just an honest working class area in a town suffering from British Leyland closing down. Gutter journalism. 

Edited by GinRummy

Weakened Offender
51 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There was a similar article in the News of the World about Boghall in Bathgate, where I mostly grew up. Calling it the worst housing scheme in Britain. Totally ridiculous. Just an honest working class area in a town suffering from British Leyland closing down. Gutter journalism. 

My auntie lived in Boghall in the 80s/90s. Wasn't too bad. Dean Park was OK too. 

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

My auntie lived in Boghall in the 80s/90s. Wasn't too bad. Dean Park was OK too. 

I was up the top at Limefield. Great place to grow up. Loads of kids and young families about. 👍

Weakened Offender
Just now, GinRummy said:

I was up the top at Limefield. Great place to grow up. Loads of kids and young families about. 👍

Not sure what part she was in but she lived there whilst training as a nurse and the few years afterwards whilst working at Bangour. It couldn't have been that bad as she's an insufferable snob now. 

I've lived in Broomhouse twice whilst we were between buying properties elsewhere and never had bother either time. I did nearly get bottled there on New Year's Eve about 40 years ago. Thankfully the guy I was walking up the road with was from Broomie and knew the would be bottler. No damage but new pants required

I worked in Muirhouse, Royston, Granton and West Pilton for a few years and, yeah the kids are a bit mad down there but there are a lot of decent folk too

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Most folks from Limefield and Whitelaw don't consider themselves to be from Boghall.

When I met my wife she told me she lived in Easter Duddingston turns out it's in between Niddrie, Craigmillar and Bingham !!!

Sons horrible judgmental snooty comments on this thread . Stopped reading it after the first page . Foul 

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Most folks from Limefield and Whitelaw don't consider themselves to be from Boghall.

A bit odd that. Its part of Boghall. I wouldn’t say most either but I know it happens.

Edited by GinRummy

12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye Gilmerton is close, I worked up in Liberton for 16 years with the SNBTS.

If you worked at the PFC you might know my old man then? He was a SNBTS driver for 30 odd years. Shares the same name as mine above.

Edited by trotter

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Sons horrible judgmental snooty comments on this thread . Stopped reading it after the first page . Foul 

Couldn't agree more. People are people. 

William H. Bonney
12 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

When I met my wife she told me she lived in Easter Duddingston turns out it's in between Niddrie, Craigmillar and Bingham !!!

On a similar note my partner used to sell houses for Bryant homes. They were advertised as being in north fettes. 
Pilton to you and I. 

17 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Pretty sure that at one point Mayfield did score highest for key deprivation indicators of drug use, unemployment, teenage pregnancy etc 

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Pretty sure that at one point Mayfield did score highest for key deprivation indicators of drug use, unemployment, teenage pregnancy etc 

It is one of the most deprived places you'll get, but Burnie went there on a monday morning and reported that there were queues of single parents waiting to cash monday books, family allowance etc.   A lot if these women moved there to get away from abusive partners etc, and she has them down as scroungers.  

Very lazy journalism.  

22 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's a shithole. Makes Bar-Ox Land look respectable.

My son had his paper round down that road.

On 06/12/2020 at 08:34, Harry Potter said:

Rather good team.

Was that Rex Gallaghers team?

29 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I was brought up on the edges of Mayfield in the 70s and early 80s. Never struck me as a bad place and certainly not as run down as Niddrie, Craigmillar, Bingham etc. were at the time (I lived in the Portobello area between 1983 and 2012 so know these areas well).  A few bams in Mayfield of course but like most people have mentioned on this thread, full of decent hardworking families mainly. Closing the pits wouldn't have helped though given that Mayfield was pretty much built to accommodate incoming miners from the west. I absolutely loved being brought up there. 

After my 30 year hiatus in the Portobello area I now live in Newtongrange (on the site of the old Star ground). Absolutely love it as do the wife and kids. Good wee school across the road, plenty parks, woods, rivers and a decent pub in the village (pity it's shut!).

Mayfield and nitten are the only two places i've ever been jumped for no reason, that said I have good mates from both places. 

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Mayfield and nitten are the only two places i've ever been jumped for no reason, that said I have good mates from both places. 

How often do you get jumped with a reason?

50 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I was brought up on the edges of Mayfield in the 70s and early 80s. Never struck me as a bad place and certainly not as run down as Niddrie, Craigmillar, Bingham etc. were at the time (I lived in the Portobello area between 1983 and 2012 so know these areas well).  A few bams in Mayfield of course but like most people have mentioned on this thread, full of decent hardworking families mainly. Closing the pits wouldn't have helped though given that Mayfield was pretty much built to accommodate incoming miners from the west. I absolutely loved being brought up there. 

After my 30 year hiatus in the Portobello area I now live in Newtongrange (on the site of the old Star ground). Absolutely love it as do the wife and kids. Good wee school across the road, plenty parks, woods, rivers and a decent pub in the village (pity it's shut!).

It is a decent wee area out there.  Grew up around the corner from you...  kippielaw  (sp).   There is no way that Mayfield has more bams than some of the Glasgow and Edinburgh schemes.   

I did hear last week that there isn't a pub or social club in Mayfield now.  They said that you can't get a pint in the place now.  

Get your kids to greenlaw rather than newbattle...

55 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Mental to mention that I'd heard of the Glasgow overspill moving through for the mines.  Probably explains why there are a lot of 'bluenose' rangers fans there.  

I only really know Wester Hailes and Broomhouse, the Calders up the top is a bit rough, plenty junkies. Sighthill is okay, more gentrified now since they pulled down the high rises and built those flats. Personally I wouldn't pay 172k for a 1 bedroom flat in Broomview.

1 hour ago, mutley said:

How often do you get jumped with a reason?

Very rarely but there have been occasions where i'll admit to having antagonised the situation or done something to have pissed someone off, both occasions I mentioned the first interaction I had with the attackers was being hit. 

38 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I was brought up in Kippielaw Park. Stayed there from birth in 1970 to 1983. 

One street down from you.  I remember now.  You're that psycho family that got deported to porty...

I watched archie gemmills goal in your street.  

5 hours ago, the general said:

Was that Not Anderson Brown Rex’s team? Some cracking players who were made up from Cambridge and Liberton Cropley over the years. Rex was the main reason that allowed the Edinburgh Amatuer Football to flow for years with the Maybury league. 

2 hours ago, graham said:

Was that Not Anderson Brown Rex’s team? Some cracking players who were made up from Cambridge and Liberton Cropley over the years. Rex was the main reason that allowed the Edinburgh Amatuer Football to flow for years with the Maybury league. 

I think your right .. it might have been an in law that was involved in the other team

BTW I think they allegedly got a fair bit money out the Maybury

15 hours ago, trotter said:

If you worked at the PFC you might know my old man then? He was a SNBTS driver for 30 odd years. Shares the same name as mine above.

Cant remember their names, one guy medium build with a beard , a tall slim guy , i left in 08.

5 hours ago, the general said:

On 08/06/2009 at 17:16, lou said:

No mention of Gilmerton,Gracemount or the Inch ???:th_o:

On 08/06/2009 at 18:25, Guest juvehearts said:

spot on Lou

these 3 places for me IMO are the roughest parts ATM

On 05/12/2020 at 23:40, Morgan said:

The Inch?

I bloody well knew it!

I told you.  👍

Hell of a place.