Hearts have been at Tynecastle for 102 years - what about other clubs?

Craigieboy

100 years was celebrated during the 2005/06 season. April 8th.

How long have other clubs been at their 'spiritual home', in Scottish football?

Hearts Heritage
100 years was celebrated during the 2005/06 season. April 8th.

How long have other clubs been at their 'spiritual home', in Scottish football?

It was 120 years learn to count ;)

Match report of first game.

I take it the umpires for both teams are now known as Ass. Ref's.

We could do with the stand side linesman being a Hearts employee nowadays.

We also end up with a pwick running the line in front of section N.

Interesting question and http://www.scotprem.premiumtv.co.uk provides the answers for the SPL (except Gretna which comes from their official site). Hearts are indeed the longest resident.

Hearts 1886 (in Gorgie from 1881)

Hibs - 1892 (played at another site also known as Easter Road from 1880-1891)

Celtic - 1892 (from an adjacent site.)

Motherwell - 1895

St. Mirren - 1895

Rangers - 1899 (Different 'Ibrox' from 1887. First game at new Ibrox was against Hearts).

Killie - 1899 (played at a different ground also known as Rugby Park from 1869. Played a game more like rugby from 1869 - 1873, when the football league, hence the name.)

Aberdeen - 1899 (although Aberdeen only formed in 1903, the previous Aberdeen FC also played there).

Dundee Utd - 1909 (as Dundee Hibernian)

Gretna - 1947

ICT - 1994

Falkirk - 2004

How do Hearts rank compared to other clubs down south and world-wide?

I know we are the joint 13th oldest club in the world, but what about stadium wise?

I'm just off out to a wild ladies' volley-ball beach party, by the way.

Buffalo Bill

According to this link

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART14698.html

Northwich Victoria's ground was the oldest in the world. Played on since 1874. But they sold the ground off to a housing company and played there last game there in 2002. Was due to be demolished but can't find out if that has happened.

Back in Scotland the oldest club Queens Park didn't move into the 3rd and current Hampden Park until 1903.

Just found that Maidenhead FC's York Road is now recognised as the oldest ground in continous use, going back to 1870.

Some famous world grounds:

1877 Stamford Bridge (an Athletics Stadium until Chelsea were formed in 1905)

St James' Park 1880 (but Newcastle only started playing there on formation in 1892)

Ewood Park 1882 (opened as a multi-sports arena, Blackburn didn't move in until 1890)

Croke Park 1884 ( but football not played here until 2007)

Goodison 1892

Anfield 1892

Meadow Lane 1910 (home of Notts County, the oldest professional team in the world)

Old Trafford 1910

Wembley 1923

San Siro 1925

Maracana 1950

Nou Camp 1957

I suspect Hearts can claim to be the top flight club who have played at their current stdium the longest, anywhere in the world. Checked all EPL clubs and football didn't really spread until after 1886, but might be a league of Wales or Ireland club I guess.

Should also point out that this is in no way comparable to the amazing stadium achievements of some other clubs in Scotland who can claim firsts in things like floodlights and all covered.

One last post as I'm probably the only one interested. certainly the only one posting.

In Scotland there is only one ground which has been in use by the same club for longer than Tynecastle. Greenock Morton's Cappielow was first used in 1879. East End Park opened in 1885, but moved to to a new site just to the West of the previous ground in 1920. Montrose's Links Park came next in 1887.

Can't tell you what the oldest league ground is but Wrexham have played at the Racecourse since 1872. Although they moved for 4 years in the 1880s. It is also oldest international ground still hosting football, having been the venue for the 3rd Scotland v Wales game. The stadium was used for cricket and horse racing from 1807.

Hearts Heritage
One last post as I'm probably the only one interested. certainly the only one posting.

In Scotland there is only one ground which has been in use by the same club for longer than Tynecastle. Greenock Morton's Cappielow was first used in 1879. East End Park opened in 1885, but moved to to a new site just to the West of the previous ground in 1920. Montrose's Links Park came next in 1887.

Can't tell you what the oldest league ground is but Wrexham have played at the Racecourse since 1872. Although they moved for 4 years in the 1880s. It is also oldest international ground still hosting football, having been the venue for the 3rd Scotland v Wales game. The stadium was used for cricket and horse racing from 1807.

I'll ask the question on scottishleague.net

According to this link

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART14698.html

Northwich Victoria's ground was the oldest in the world. Played on since 1874. But they sold the ground off to a housing company and played there last game there in 2002. Was due to be demolished but can't find out if that has happened.

Back in Scotland the oldest club Queens Park didn't move into the 3rd and current Hampden Park until 1903.

PNE - Deepdale - 133

Given that Northwich Victoria were previously recognised as the oldest with 1974, I suspect that if Wrexham count then they will be oldest. The only issue is the need ot be continous and that 4 year gap. Which does raise the question if Hearts moved out of Tynecastle during rebuilding would we no longer count it as our ground since 1886? I doubt it, so feel that Wrexham should count.

I'm interested. I was watching '24'.

Buffalo Bill

Just found that Maidenhead FC's York Road is now recognised as the oldest ground in continous use, going back to 1870.

Some famous world grounds:

1877 Stamford Bridge (an Athletics Stadium until Chelsea were formed in 1905)

St James' Park 1880 (but Newcastle only started playing there on formation in 1892)

Ewood Park 1882 (opened as a multi-sports arena, Blackburn didn't move in until 1890)

Croke Park 1884 ( but football not played here until 2007)

Goodison 1892

Anfield 1892

Meadow Lane 1910 (home of Notts County, the oldest professional team in the world)

Old Trafford 1910

Wembley 1923

San Siro 1925

Maracana 1950

Nou Camp 1957

I suspect Hearts can claim to be the top flight club who have played at their current stdium the longest, anywhere in the world. Checked all EPL clubs and football didn't really spread until after 1886, but might be a league of Wales or Ireland club I guess.

Should also point out that this is in no way comparable to the amazing stadium achievements of some other clubs in Scotland who can claim firsts in things like floodlights and all covered.

Anfield was in use as a football ground from 1884 although Liverpool didn't move in until 1892. :closedeyes:

Indeed it was, my apologies. Anfield was one of the first grounds I looked up and before I decided to add in a few little notes.

Occupied by Everton for 8 years until a rent dispute. The owners then decided to form their own team to use the ground - Liverpool FC. Looking back some Everton fans might feel they should have stumped up the extra cash and the Reds and all their European glory might never have been. Fulham fans could have a similar feeling. When a new owner bought Stamford Bridge with the intention of using it as a football ground he offered it to Fulham. When they turned him down, he also formed a his own team, Chelsea.

I know we are the joint 13th oldest club in the world, but what about stadium wise?

I'm just off out to a wild ladies' volley-ball beach party, by the way.

Buffalo Bill

intersting point bill, and one i'm not sure of the facts on

can we perhaps have a list of the oldest (known) clubs worldwide, and the ones longest at their ground, if anyone knows??

and who are we joint 13th with??

i'm such a dumbass on this type of stuff

Indeed it was, my apologies. Anfield was one of the first grounds I looked up and before I decided to add in a few little notes.

Occupied by Everton for 8 years until a rent dispute. The owners then decided to form their own team to use the ground - Liverpool FC. Looking back some Everton fans might feel they should have stumped up the extra cash and the Reds and all their European glory might never have been. Fulham fans could have a similar feeling. When a new owner bought Stamford Bridge with the intention of using it as a football ground he offered it to Fulham. When they turned him down, he also formed a his own team, Chelsea.

Interesting article in this month's WSC on Manchester Central who were formed when Man City moved to Maine Road as some felt they were leaving their traditional roots. However, they ended up threating MU more ( Manchester's smaller team at that time ) and both MCFC ( not central who were named to have the same initials ) and MU barred them from being elected to the football league. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_F.C.

In Scotland I thought it was Dumbarton's Boghead before they moved then next up was Ayr's Somerset Park which is still on the go?

Hearts Heritage

Hearts may be the oldest sporting club in Scotland. There is this report from 1864. It is not known if this is the same organisation that formed the football club.

1864072001.jpg

Ally Alexander

Davie,

Of the clubs listed in that report, Western still exist as a cricket and hockey club, that is, if it is the same club.

Hearts may be the oldest sporting club in Scotland. There is this report from 1864. It is not known if this is the same organisation that formed the football club.

1864072001.jpg

IIRC , Rangers started out as a rowing club so as an institution they are probably older than their barsteward off spring of a football club.

In Scotland there were a lot of exisiting sports clubs which embraced football during the Victorian explosion in the popularity of football.

Interesting stuff in the museum at Hampden on this history.

Preston Jambo

Edinburgh Academicals "Football" club were formed in 1857.

They were formed before football split into Rugby and Association codes.

intersting point bill, and one i'm not sure of the facts on

can we perhaps have a list of the oldest (known) clubs worldwide, and the ones longest at their ground, if anyone knows??

and who are we joint 13th with??

i'm such a dumbass on this type of stuff

Beverley,

Clubs formed in 1874, I think are:

Heart of Midlothian, Aston Villa, Greenock Morton, Hamilton Accies.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

As Davy said, there is some evidence to suggest that HMFC were formed some time before 1874 but it seemed the club began keeping the books from then.

Buffalo Bill

Clubs that are older than Hearts include:

Notts County

Stoke City

Nottingham Forest

Queens Park

Killie

Reading

Rangers

Stranrear?

Anyone else?

Buffalo Bill

Sheffield FC 1857

Cray Wanderers 1860

Hallam FC 1860

Notts County 1863

Stoke City 1863

Nottingham Forest 1865

Sheffield Wednesday 1867

Queen's Park 1867

Chesterfield 1867

Kilmarnock 1869

Maidenhead United 1870

Marlow FC 1870

Sheffield FC 1857

Cray Wanderers 1860

Hallam FC 1860

Notts County 1863

Stoke City 1863

Nottingham Forest 1865

Sheffield Wednesday 1867

Queen's Park 1867

Chesterfield 1867

Kilmarnock 1869

Maidenhead United 1870

Marlow FC 1870

Good points well made, but I mean professional clubs.

Buffalo Bill

Archived