McGhee or Frail ?

Ryan Gosling

McGhee or Frail?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. McGhee or Frail?

Sorry, last thread was a bit ambiguous.

If it was a choice between McGhee and Frail, who would you rather have as manager?

chester copperpot
McGhee

Take it you're over your man flu :laugh:

This one's a no brainer really. I'd take anyone just now with some British experience to steady the ship.

Frail has done ok, hats off to him, but he's not the long term solution IMO.

This one's a no brainer really. I'd take anyone just now with some British experience to steady the ship.

You'd have thought so - but someone has managed to operate a computer, without brain, to vote Frail.

Last day of man flu, Andy.

Back to the grind tomorrow. Still, nice two day week.

This could be the most one way poll ever on Kickback.

Guest JamboRobbo

I don't see any reason why we should restrict ourselves to choosing between McGhee and Frail. There are plenty managers out there to choose from.

Appointing Frail would mean that the Jan 1st statement was just more lies.

So, McGhee is the only viable option of the two. But I don't think we should restrict ourselves like that.

McGhee simply for the fact that between the two, he is the one with the experience and required qualifications. I would however, like to see a role for Frail in any new set up, given the work he has put in behind the scenes for the club.

I also agree with Jamborobbo that we should not be restricting ourselves to just that choice, Radomir Antic would certainly be one that would interest me as an appointment. It shouldn't be forgotten that McGhee was very much low on managerial stock when he took the Motherwell job, he was apparently on the verge of accepting the Bohemians job in the Irish Premier League.

Can't decide.

Looking at McGhee's 17 years in management as opposed to his first 17 games in charge of Motherwell makes it too close to call to be honest.

I think I want someone better than them both.

I don't see any reason why we should restrict ourselves to choosing between McGhee and Frail. There are plenty managers out there to choose from.

Appointing Frail would mean that the Jan 1st statement was just more lies.

So, McGhee is the only viable option of the two. But I don't think we should restrict ourselves like that.

I'm thinking it's just for the purpose of this thread.

Guest JamboRobbo
I'm thinking it's just for the purpose of this thread.

Fair enough, seems a bit pointless then. Unless we're trying to big up McGhee or slag off Frail.

It's like saying who would you rather have in goals. Kurskis or a real goalkeeper.

Who would we rather have at RB. Robbie Neilson or a 6ft Christmas Tree.

This one is a no brainer - sadly (for him) Stevie Frail doesn't have the qualifications / experience or track record in the transfer market.

For what it is worth, McGhee has more exposure to this and has proven to be a good motivator with nae cash to spend.

I think Frail can one day make it and right now can be the continuity man that keeps things ticking over (like John McGlyn was) - if he's still here after the "next" manager leaves (or is binned), Frail may get his chance.

Toxteth O'Grady

Frail has stopped the rot and brought a bit of stability to the team line up, the team seems to have a bit more spirit and discipline has improved since he took charge.

He deserves credit for what he has done but I don't think he is the long term answer.

McGhee would be a better choice than Frail IMO but I wouldn't be too dissapointed if someone else got the job.

MackaysCentreSpot

Neither for me.

Frail not good enough and McGhee has done good so far with Well but would have to show he can consistantly do it before I gave him the job.

And since we do not have the time to wait about for him to prove this then its a no for him as well.

Yeah agree with all of that except for the part in bold. I don't think it is a neccessity. If we were to attract a foreigner with experience and a good track record then I would be happy.

Foreign managers have not tended to work in the SPL. But if a certain type of manager of a certain calibre was to crop up then I would go for him before McGhee or any other SPL manager.

I think we need someone coming outwith the SPL. Someone with different ideas and a different way of thinking.

EDIT: Although I think I could be being picky.

chester copperpot
Yeah agree with all of that except for the part in bold. I don't think it is a neccessity. If we were to attract a foreigner with experience and a good track record then I would be happy.

Foreign managers have not tended to work in the SPL. But if a certain type of manager of a certain calibre was to crop up then I would go for him before McGhee or any other SPL manager.

I think we need someone coming outwith the SPL. Someone with different ideas and a different way of thinking.

EDIT: Although I think I could be being picky.

I see where you're coming from mate, but with our board, I think it is imperitive that we appoint a manager with British management experience.

Needs to be someone strong who we give our full support to. Vlad wont get away with appointing another Burley, then sacking him when he wants. The fans wont stand for it a second time.

I see where you're coming from mate, but with our board, I think it is imperitive that we appoint a manager with British management experience.

Needs to be someone strong who we give our full support to. Vlad wont get away with appointing another Burley, then sacking him when he wants. The fans wont stand for it a second time.

Sorry mate still disagree. I see where you are coming from. Someone that knows the British game and knows how it works.

But I don't think it has to neccessarly be a British manager. I just think the person has to be a strong character, a bit of passion, a half decent track record and someone who will commmand respect from all.

He may not know many players at the club or others which I think is a good thing but he has scouts and Shaggy who know of players. But he will have a greater knowledge of players from abroad who are probably availbe at a cheaper price (Wage wise) than those of the same quality in Britain.

If he has done a job abroad at a good club then I can't see why he would not be able to do a same type of job with a Scottish club.

chester copperpot
Sorry mate still disagree. I see where you are coming from. Someone that knows the British game and knows how it works.

But I don't think it has to neccessarly be a British manager. I just think the person has to be a strong character, a bit of passion, a half decent track record and someone who will commmand respect from all.

He may not know many players at the club or others which I think is a good thing but he has scouts and Shaggy who know of players. But he will have a greater knowledge of players from abroad who are probably availbe at a cheaper price (Wage wise) than those of the same quality in Britain.

If he has done a job abroad at a good club then I can't see why he would not be able to do a same type of job with a Scottish club.

Never said he had to be British mate, just that he's got experience of the British game.

Would have that Gullit felly, he seems quite handy.

Never said he had to be British mate, just that he's got experience of the British game.

Would have that Gullit felly, he seems quite handy.

He is in a Greggs in Los Angeles I am afraid.:P

Am I the only one who is reasonably happy with Frail in charge. The players respect him the side has started playing slightly better. I know we've been knocked out of the cups but things won't change overnight. For the first time in over a year i see progress and I'm happy to let it be untill the summer and see how we get on. I vote Frail

as i said on sunday, frails not got it, so it's mcgee for moi

What makes you think he doesn't have it? Thats not a dig would just like to know why?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I really don't think McGhee is as good as some on here make out.

He has won a lower league division in England I think and that's about it.

Fair enough he has Motherwell playing well but they were absolutely horrific under Malpas so the only way was up.

Saying that, I want Frail nowhere near the managers office.

None of them.

I really don't think McGhee is as good as some on here make out.

He has won a lower league division in England I think and that's about it.

Fair enough he has Motherwell playing well but they were absolutely horrific under Malpas so the only way was up.

Saying that, I want Frail nowhere near the managers office.

None of them.

If we get someone better than McGhee then I'll be delighted. Levein is the stand out for me but I think he's committed to Dundee Utd and wont leave whilst Eddie Thomson is still around. Dont fancy JJ and Davies is about on a par with McGhee.

Havent seen anyone higher profile nthan those 4 linked with the job but would be delighted if there was a surprise appointment

Of the realistic candidates I prefer Levein, would accept McGhee or Davies, wouldnt want JJ or Frail.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
If we get someone better than McGhee then I'll be delighted. Levein is the stand out for me but I think he's committed to Dundee Utd and wont leave whilst Eddie Thomson is still around. Dont fancy JJ and Davies is about on a par with McGhee.

Havent seen anyone higher profile nthan those 4 linked with the job but would be delighted if there was a surprise appointment

Of the realistic candidates I prefer Levein, would accept McGhee or Davies, wouldnt want JJ or Frail.

That's pretty much my opinion as well.

Although I rate Davies a bit higher than McGhee. He really did work miracles with Derby and his name is respected down south.

That's pretty much my opinion as well.

Although I rate Davies a bit higher than McGhee. He really did work miracles with Derby and his name is respected down south.

There's not that much between them right enough. I just prefer the way McGhee carries himself.

Another factor is that BOTH of them would bugger off along the M8 at the drop of a hat if one of those jobs came up and I really think we need to get someone in who will be around (and is capable of surviving the Hearts experience)for at least 3 years.

Archived