'Calderwood and Levein jealous of our success' says Stewart

tartofmidlothian

Panagiotis

CRITICISM of Hearts by the managers of Aberdeen and Dundee United this season have been motivated by envy, according to Michael Stewart.

Both Jimmy Calderwood of Aberdeen this week and Craig Levein of United back in March complained bitterly about Hearts' alleged time-wasting tactics in matches against their teams. Midfielder Stewart suggested yesterday that the comments from both men were born of frustration – Calderwood's outburst this week followed a draw which dealt a blow to his own team's hopes of European football, while Levein's came after a Hearts victory over his side.

"I don't think it is a coincidence," said Stewart, whose team meet United at Tynecastle tomorrow knowing a win will guarantee them a third-place finish in the SPL. "He (Levein] was bitterly disappointed we went to Tannadice and got three points.

"(Those] two clubs and ourselves have been challenging for third place all season long. And when you are up against your closest rivals it becomes very frustrating when you are not getting the results you want.

"When you are challenging with other teams they look on enviously if you are slightly ahead or one has a good run in Europe or things like that. Of course you are glad for them, but there is that envious side as well. Especially when you see where we were at the back end of last season to have come full circle and challenge for third place, I think there is an element of that."

Calderwood claimed after Tuesday's goalless draw that Hearts had been timewasting throughout the match, but Stewart implied that the Aberdeen coaching staff were merely trying to throw his own team-mates off their stride. "I find the time-wasting one quite funny, because a lot of time they were shouting at us to hurry up before we even had the ball for a throw in!

"So I don't understand what they are expecting. You are never going to see somebody running to get a ball, grabbing it and then running up and just chucking it. So it baffles me. To me it is just nonsense. It was a game of massive importance to both teams and I think they were anxious, because they knew a draw wasn't a great result for them. It's amazing when that is the case prior to the game then their perspective takes on a warped sort of reality where they were complaining about every single incident.

"That is to our advantage. It shows they were frustrated and clearly wasting energy on things that were just pointless, really."

Stewart himself experienced similar frustrations last season, when Hearts first failed to get into the top six and then fell away badly after the split to finish eighth. This season, by contrast, he has been delighted by the impact made by Csaba Laszlo, who took over as manager last summer.

Laszlo's initial public target for the campaign was to get his team back into the top six, but Stewart said that behind the scenes the intention had always been to re-establish Hearts as the third best team in Scotland behind the Old Firm. "It will be a big achievement to finish third, he continued.

"Prior to the manager coming in, finishing third would have been seen as far-fetched. Since he has come in, all our focus has been on third place. The manager has been fairly restrained with his aspirations and even to the lads as a whole, but I know from speaking to him privately that third place was always what he was aiming for.

"I wouldn't say people wrote us off, but I don't think they would have seen us being right up there and challenging for third place right throughout the season. But as soon as the season started it wouldn't have taken them long to realise we were serious contenders."

Stewart knows he and his team-mates still have to finish the job, but he does not see tomorrow's match as one which is vital to win. Hearts are two points clear of United, and with the teams facing Celtic and Rangers respectively on Sunday week, Stewart believes a draw this weekend could be enough.

"You do want to get it wrapped up as soon as possible, but you can't say it is a must-win game for us because we're two points ahead," explained Stewart.

"We both have the Old Firm after that so I wouldn't say it is a must-win from that perspective, but it is a game we want to win. If we do that then it is wrapped up."

Stuart Bathgate

If copying and pasting that link costs just a penny of revenue to the Scotsman group through loss of online advertising money. I'll be a happy man.

Pistol1874

Success a subjective term. Most of us would, I imagine, consider 3rd a success. The cups were definately not.

The Real Maroonblood
Success a subjective term. Most of us would, I imagine, consider 3rd a success. The cups were definately not.

Or last year we were sh yte and have improved on that.

TBH I hate articles like that, why put more pressure on ourselves by saying things like they're jealous of our success when we a) have not had any yet and B) are playing united on saturday and this might just get their back up?

I don't know how much time-wasting we were doing at Aberdeen as I didn't see it but I was at the united v hearts game that Levein was on about and tbh the time-wasting was awful, players pretending to be injured etc so we are not just talking about taking time over throw-ins. I'm not criticizing hearts for doing it as it's what we needed to do at the time and i imagine that it was the same against Aberdeen but we can't be surprised when other managers moan about it so I certainly don't want Stewart taking the **** and claiming other teams are jealous of us.

I wonder what the headlines are in the Sun and the Record that will accompany the exact same interview ?

Something Levein can pin up on the dressing room wall perhaps ?

HillmanHearts

I agree with Mikey speaking out against the bitterness from Tango and Levein. However I'm not keen on the references to getting third. It will be the pld "pin it up on the dressing room wall" stuff from Levein.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/39Calderwood--and-Levein-jealous.5270603.jp

Anti-Scotsman brigade, please do copy the text over. Fine words from Mikey though, defending the club against the haters!

I wish there would be club ban at Tynecastle at talking to the press.

I think Fergie does this at Man Utd and it works well there

How often do we come out and say stuff and we get bitten in the bum

When are we gonna learn :qqb017:

jimmyjambo

agree with the previous comments, would he not have been better doing the interview after saturdays game to see where we stand. it was similiar to Lazlo's comments about hibs appeared in the papers on the day of the derby and we all know what happened then,this could, and probably will, work in Levein's favour, his attitude and the way they play are far more positive than our's i'm afraid.

Pistol1874
Or last year we were sh yte and have improved on that.

Or 3rd is the most we can reasonably expect every season and 2nd is, if we're honest, likely to be the exception.

If Csaba wins the league his next job should be Middle East Peace.

So yes, 3rd is success in league terms. We need to do better in the cups.

CostaJambo

"It shows they were frustrated and clearly wasting energy on things that were just pointless, really."

Bit rich coming from Mikey Stewart that one!

I wish there would be club ban at Tynecastle at talking to the press.

I think Fergie does this at Man Utd and it works well there

How often do we come out and say stuff and we get bitten in the bum

When are we gonna learn :qqb017:

You are spot on - we have done it for years - Gary MAcKay use to be very good at it.

I also remember in 98, when Hibs were relegated, the last derby at Easter Road, we (Robbo, I think) were talking in the press on how we do not want to see Hibs relegated, but that would not stop us going out, giving 100% and going for the win - we promptly lost.

"It shows they were frustrated and clearly wasting energy on things that were just pointless, really."

Bit rich coming from Mikey Stewart that one!

You gotta love how they call him 'Scotland cap Mikey Stewart'

"That is to our advantage. It shows they were frustrated and clearly wasting energy on things that were just pointless, really."

If mikey could apply this to his own play then he'd be a cracking player, cos when he's frustrated he is rotten.

You gotta love how they call him 'Scotland cap Mikey Stewart'

pray tell why?

michael stewart has 4 scotland caps. scotland cap seems a fairly sensible description to me.

on subject... stewart has done well in debunking most of the pish that calderwood hosed all over the place. he describes how aberdeen players were the ones trying to con the referee by contesting everything, and that they were telling the hearts players to hurry up taking throw ins even before they had the ball. this is the best way to come back at them, simply show them up as the deluded halfwits that they are.

good work mikey.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
I wonder what the headlines are in the Sun and the Record that will accompany the exact same interview ?

Something Levein can pin up on the dressing room wall perhaps ?

I'm glad for one that one player has stood up and conveyed the same feelings we have shown in here. Sometimes the best thing to do in response to fairly scandalous accusations is to point the finger and tell the detractors to shut the **** up. Michael Stewarts interview will not be the difference in us getting thrd, fourth or last.

Calderwood and Levein are both well thought of by the press (as is Csaba to be fair) so it is pretty unthinkable any of the press will have a pop and say they are out of order. Sometimes you have to fight your own corner in life or certain people will start taking the ****

Well said Mikey Stewart.

Get it right up these ****s.

Spot on mate its time somebody had a stab at those two whingebags

Drylaw Hearts

Mr Stewart would make a damn fine captian if he could only string more than 2 good games together.

He's been awful for the majority of the season.

The last 2 matches he's been a disgrace.

Having listened to Mikey's pre-match interview, he was asked a few times about all the guff that has been well documented. His reply was, "I don't know what's been said", he never mentioned Calderwood or Levein, so i think the papers are stirring it tbh.

Stewart MUST play well tomorrow.....

....cos he's created a rod for his own back with this interview!!!!

Seymour M Hersh

If mikey could apply this to his own play then he'd be a cracking player, cos when he's frustrated he is rotten.

Which usually occurs straight after his first mis-placed pass which he he promptly blames on his team mates.

alex plode

As much as this article could be used by Levein to gee up his players, I'm sure Calderwood and Levein's previous remarks could be used to motivate Hearts.

What better incentive could you want - go out and play United off the park and that'll shut these 2 whingebags up!

I mistakenly tuned in to the Aberdeen version of the commentary of Wednesday night's game and during it they were moaning about their ballboys who were just sitting watching the game and leaving the players to retrieve the ball. I think this is what MS is going on about.

The bottom line is, had Jamie Smith scored when he had an open goal, or had Sandaza scored from the penalty at Tannadice, they would have beaten us and Levein and Calderwood would not have criticised us.

Seymour M Hersh
Stewart should keep his trap shut, concnetrate on football and not motivate Dundee Utd on behlaf of Levein.

Who cares what they think get effing stuck into the dundreich hibernimuppets!!!

Walter Bishop

So Michael Stewart comes out in the press and says exactly what we are thinking,only speaks the truth and proves himself yet again to be a credit to himself and the club and what happens, the usual suspects on here try to twist into something it is not to abuse the guy!!!

Get off his bloody back, i for one hope he is our captain next season.

Archived