Dundee Utd 0 - 3 Hearts 1986 Tannadice...

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Was one of my first away games that i remember quite well (i was only 7 or 8), Just seen Robbo`s goals from this game on Jamboskickback TV and was wondering if anyone knew the attendace that day and how many jambos were at the game?? The crowd looked amazing, i was squashed near the front just to the right of where Robbo slid on his knees after his 2nd goal!!

There was about 19-20,000 at the game with probably 8 or 9,000 Hearts fans.

Everything about that day was perfect from a Hearts point of view.

Utd were, in all probability, the best football team in Scotland at the time, yet Hearts had that wave of euthoria behind them, like winning was our destiny.

We knocked Utd out of the title race that day and the Scottish Cup the week before.

But we all know what came next...

Buffalo Bill

As a 13 year old, I cried real tears of elation on the bus going home after that match. The Radio summariser said something like "surely it's Hearts title now after that performance".

How ironic then that I was greeting again in Dundee some weeks later. Scarred for life!

Heart of the Matter

If I remember correctly, Henry Smith pulled off an absolutely incredible save in that game at Tannadice. I remember coming back down the road believing we were going to win the league.

This was one of the few games that I missed that season but when my brother phoned me the result I said that's us won the league for sure!!

This game is one of my most memorable ever

Archie Mac on Sportscene that night when Robbo knelt in front of the us "and he's not praying"

The 1st time I heard "you couldnae score in a brothel"

They guy who put his toddler son on the pitch, after the 3rd (I think)

And the newspaper headline the following day "Yes Hearts do look like champions"

Archie Mac on Sportscene that night when Robbo knelt in front of the us "and he's not praying"

And the newspaper headline the following day "Yes Hearts do look like champions"

The goals in this match are ones that I never tire of seeing. Does anyone know if there's a link to them somewhere on the internet?

Walter Bishop
The goals in this match are ones that I never tire of seeing. Does anyone know if there's a link to them somewhere on the internet?

They are on jamboskickback tv!!! ;)

Jack Torrance

How steep was that terracing though. Fab!

I was 15 at the time. My hero then - Henry - was unbelievable & Robbo's piledriver.

Happy memories.

peebles jambo

i was at that game, it was brilliant, but that was the day i genuinely believed we'd win the league, christ i was only 30 then, wheres the years gone?

i was at that game, it was brilliant, but that was the day i genuinely believed we'd win the league, christ i was only 30 then, wheres the years gone?

I was only 13:eek:

If I remember correctly, Henry Smith pulled off an absolutely incredible save in that game at Tannadice. I remember coming back down the road believing we were going to win the league.

Free kick from Maurice Malpas I think.

After that though we really blew it against Clydebank, shoud've gave them 100k for a 7-0 tanking!!! 1-0 we beat them, mind you, given St.Mirren's disgraceful lie down to Celtic you feel it wouldn't have mattered if we had been 7 goals clear, Celtic would still have been able to get more.

That season though changed us completely from being a crap team to a top flight side as from then we were always up there and everything improved significantly.

Goldstone Wonder

God, what a day that was, but apart from Robbo's goal, and talking Interista for the first time, the bit in bold is the other thing I remember really well about that game, through the alcohol-clouded mists of time. I wonder if said toddler contributes to kickback now? He'd be about 25-26 now I reckon. Happened after Sandy Clark's goal at what was then the away end.

They robbed us of the league but they can't rob us of our memories. Hobos under the age of 45 really don't have any comparable memories. A couple of fluke victories and two diddy cups, but no season to compare with 85/86, or 97/98 and 05/06 for that matter. I pity them. When I think about that day, I feel blessed to be a Hearts supporter, despite what happened 3 weeks later

Goldstone Wonder
Didnt malpas catch it on the half volley?

Correct. It was an awesome save. Early in the 2nd half I think, when we were only 1-0 up.

God, what a day that was, but apart from Robbo's goal, and talking Interista for the first time, the bit in bold is the other thing I remember really well about that game, through the alcohol-clouded mists of time. I wonder if said toddler contributes to kickback now? He'd be about 25-26 now I reckon. Happened after Sandy Clark's goal at what was then the away end.

They robbed us of the league but they can't rob us of our memories. Hobos under the age of 45 really don't have any comparable memories. A couple of fluke victories and two diddy cups, but no season to compare with 85/86, or 97/98 and 05/06 for that matter. I pity them. When I think about that day, I feel blessed to be a Hearts supporter, despite what happened 3 weeks later

Undoubtedly, the day we thought the league was won. Also the last convincing performance that season.

It was followed up by the nervy home draw against Aberdeen, the 1-0 win over Clydebank and the last game of the season.

The steep Tannadice terracing was something else after a goal that day.

Aye, what a game & a good night too as the 'Ferry had its P.O.Y. dance in the Motel up at the bridge that night.

Henry Smith & Sandy Clark were there & the place was bouncing.

The Mrs had on the sussies (christ those were the days) & pulled up her skirt for Sandy to sign her thigh with a marker pen. It was more like a tattoo the time it lasted.

Was one of my first away games that i remember quite well (i was only 7 or 8), Just seen Robbo`s goals from this game on Jamboskickback TV and was wondering if anyone knew the attendace that day and how many jambos were at the game?? The crowd looked amazing, i was squashed near the front just to the right of where Robbo slid on his knees after his 2nd goal!!

I was at every game that season, i was 21 all i remember was Robbos Goal, it went so quick the goalkeeper never even moved, right in the postage stamp an unbeleivable goal, the place went wild, i was right next to the unt supporters in the steep terraceing, Archie McPherson refferred to Henry as Cat like after his great save.

Great days and a great Team, Ian Jardine was my favourite player.

Aye, what a game & a good night too as the 'Ferry had its P.O.Y. dance in the Motel up at the bridge that night.

Henry Smith & Sandy Clark were there & the place was bouncing.

The Mrs had on the sussies (christ those were the days) & pulled up her skirt for Sandy to sign her thigh with a marker pen. It was more like a tattoo the time it lasted.

LOL

Suffered the misery of being at a wedding in the Post House that day. Word went round that Hearts had won and all the menfolk legged it across the road to the boozer and watched Sportscene (or whatever itwas back then).

I remember my missus coming over to drag me back by which time me and most other guys were gassed.

Breakin' Rocks

Might be getting my games confused but did Paul Hegarty not have a real go at Davie Dodds, either after first or second goal. Clearly showed up on the highlights on TV that night.

Never forget Archie's comments about the maroon legions.

Jimmy McNulty

Robbos first goal that day was one of the best I have ever seen -- if you look closely at the replay you see United fans behind the goal applauding it. It was right before half time, which really took the wind out of the United sails.

A great game, possibly the best away game I have ever been to. After that results I just knew we were gonna win the league....

att was given as 19,898.

it also had one of henry smith's greatest saves from malpas.

he himself says it was the one which gave him the most satisfaction. :)

att was given as 19,898.

it also had one of henry smith's greatest saves from malpas.

he himself says it was the one which gave him the most satisfaction. :)

Jim McLean said in interview on TV that he thought it the greatest save since Banks (Gordon!) from Pele in 1970.

he actually was goin the wrong way as the free kick took a wicked deflection and he somehow cstopped, changed direction and got his hand to it to put it round the post.

truly great goalkeeping. :)

Archived