Craig Levein

Rawrrrrrrr

The financial results showed that the wage bill was above ?5m in each of his first 3 seasons. Way way more than any other non Old Firm side. There wasn't a systematic cut though there were of course some legacy big payments to players on JJ contracts. On some of those he just fell out with the players and had to 'sicken' them.

He did a good job of telling people how big the cuts were ... but he was always able to bring in players including the likes of Maybury and Stamp from Premiership squads! Other than the good win in Braga and following games, he didn't really bring in any cup revenue either.

If it wasn't about a continued high wage bill creating debts - why did the club's finances get into the state where the Pieman tried to sell the stadium?

The clubs finances were in a terrible state well before that - refer to my comment re his testimonial game.

Often when players/managers leave before the end of their contract the wages will still show as an outgoing in the club accounts as they honour the remainder of the contract. Fact is a willingness to work with an ever decreasing budget was one of the tings that got CL the job first time round... remember he was an outsider to get it at the time.

The clubs finances were in a terrible state well before that - refer to my comment re his testimonial game.

Often when players/managers leave before the end of their contract the wages will still show as an outgoing in the club accounts as they honour the remainder of the contract. Fact is a willingness to work with an ever decreasing budget was one of the tings that got CL the job first time round... remember he was an outsider to get it at the time.

There was an opportunity to cut the wage bill significantly when CL came in as manager. It should have happened. I was roundly chastised on KB for suggesting it. But it never happened. This was the period when the fans were protesting outside the stadium when players were sold!

Levein was good at telling people how many cuts he made ... but they didn't happen (though frustratingly I don't have the accounts handy to show so) at least until the last year.

The high wages were the reason for the attempted sale of the stadium and by extension Romanov! At the Padre's night at the Orwell Lodge the Pieman admitted that a player wage cut strategy of a similar type of Motherwell or Aberdeen would mean that the club wouldn't have to sell Tynecastle. But he didn't want to have to fire the likes of Maybury, Pressley, Stamp etc.

I take you back a few seasons ago...

Sitting in a traffic jam on the way to the bridge, after a DIRE 0 - 0 draw against bottom of the table Dunfermline, pi$$ed off, everybody back defending, no attempt to win the game...DIRE!:mad:

Then Levein comes on the radio sounding pretty happy with himself - "a point away from home is never bad" and "it's not my job to entertain fans".

THAT did it for me! Craig Levein? NO THANKS!!

Craig Levein came to us largely unproven ..............but he came cheap I imagine AND was an ex jambo .............THE OLDEST TRICK IN THE BOOK for a CEO under fire from the fans :(

He's not a daft man though and knew how to keep his job in a results driven business. However I still have nightmares of watching 85 mins of Pressley - to Robbie - and a big HOOF into the general area of the box........repeat until bored sh*tless :(

If it was just a case of steadying the ship then aye Id take him ...........but if you want progress.........nah

Well I certainly wasn't bored a week or so ago at Dundee, I think we pulled the ball out of the back of the net 4 times that night...........

I remember a few on here slating CL when he went to Leicester and now a large amount on here want him back.He went to Leicester before VL bumped him.

i dont want levien back,he left us just before a european tie,took four players for peanuts,and he would do it again,no trust in him,but i do think he will still have a very good chance of being the manager.i believe campbell ogilvie favours him,just hope vlad doesnt.

Sitting in a traffic jam on the way to the bridge, after a DIRE 0 - 0 draw against bottom of the table Dunfermline, pi$$ed off, everybody back defending, no attempt to win the game...DIRE!:mad:

Then Levein comes on the radio sounding pretty happy with himself - "a point away from home is never bad" and "it's not my job to entertain fans".

And me. Remember it well.

And me. Remember it well.

Aye because drawing 0-0 to the likes of gretna - possibly the worst performance I have ever seen - and it not being rare is just delightful :P

Aye because drawing 0-0 to the likes of gretna - possibly the worst performance I have ever seen - and it not being rare is just delightful :P

When was this?

Ps only one team been gubbed twice by Gretna this season.

When was this?

Ps only one team been gubbed twice by Gretna this season.

Actually it was 1-1

It just felt like 0-0

Which is even worse:rolleyes:

Leveins brand of football was effective but boring,10 men back for every corner etc,bringing him back is a backwards step imo.

Watching craig levein on setanta or any other comments he has to make about hearts the guy obviously is still a hearts man at heart and although doing well at united i suspect he would be tempted especially if he believed romanov would alllow him to pick the team - romanov tells us to believe maybe he has to tell levein that :P but i think the flow of lithuanian players constantly coming into the club would put any british manager of we should cap it with no more than 3 tops eg. chesney, velicka, audrey etc. at any one time this is not raciast or anything its just simple scotland has better players than lithuania although with our present ones you wouldn't have thought so :mad: levein or jeffries would get my vote and state that the management meant what they said about giving the manager a free reign :527:

Watching craig levein on setanta or any other comments he has to make about hearts the guy obviously is still a hearts man at heart and although doing well at united i suspect he would be tempted especially if he believed romanov would alllow him to pick the team - romanov tells us to believe maybe he has to tell levein that :P but i think the flow of lithuanian players constantly coming into the club would put any british manager of we should cap it with no more than 3 tops eg. chesney, velicka, audrey etc. at any one time this is not raciast or anything its just simple scotland has better players than lithuania although with our present ones you wouldn't have thought so :mad: levein or jeffries would get my vote and state that the management meant what they said about giving the manager a free reign :527:

Agree with most of what you are saying, also a lot of people forget that without the results we got under cl we could have gone under. The only thing that kept the bank at bay was the fact we were bringing in the dough from the euro games, i think we made 1 mill plus from some of the games. The man kept hearts afloat under exterme conditions !

Agree with most of what you are saying, also a lot of people forget that without the results we got under cl we could have gone under. The only thing that kept the bank at bay was the fact we were bringing in the dough from the euro games, i think we made 1 mill plus from some of the games. The man kept hearts afloat under exterme conditions !

The players were handsomely rewarded - the big wage bill was the main reason for the bank trying to force the sale of the stadium.

His result against Braga was an important and good win. Otherwise ...

Drylaw Hearts
Leveins brand of football was effective but boring,10 men back for every corner etc,bringing him back is a backwards step imo.

If CL did get the job he would be taking over the team in a similar state to the one he took over the first time.

He did an excellent job with what resources he had and we finished 3rd 2 Season on the trot.

I think he would do the same again this time round.

In no way whatsoever would appointing him be a backwards step.

He may not be a George Burley but he is certainly not a Valdas.

He would be a step in the right direction.

If CL did get the job he would be taking over the team in a similar state to the one he took over the first time.

He did an excellent job with what resources he had and we finished 3rd 2 Season on the trot.

I think he would do the same again this time round.

In no way whatsoever would appointing him be a backwards step.

He may not be a George Burley but he is certainly not a Valdas.

He would be a step in the right direction.

I wasn't a fan. But he would be a massive step in the right direction.

Drylaw Hearts
I wasn't a fan. But he would be a massive step in the right direction.

Our reputation has been tarnished over the last 2 years.

We aren't going to attract the 'name' most fans crave.

Be need someone to lay the foundations of a football team again.

CL did that previously.

Gordon

Neilson

Pressley

Webster

Fysass

Cammazola

Hartley

Brellier

Skacel

Jank

Bednar

Half of GB's team were players who were already at the Club when he took over.

I'm pretty sure CL could lay the foundations of a good team again.

And if he had a bit of cash to spend then he may be able to add the quality he couldn't the first time round.

Our reputation has been tarnished over the last 2 years.

We aren't going to attract the 'name' most fans crave.

Be need someone to lay the foundations of a football team again.

CL did that previously.

Gordon

Neilson

Pressley

Webster

Fysass

Cammazola

Hartley

Brellier

Skacel

Jank

Bednar

Half of GB's team were players who were already at the Club when he took over.

I'm pretty sure CL could lay the foundations of a good team again.

And if he had a bit of cash to spend then he may be able to add the quality he couldn't the first time round.

I agree. Good point.

The other obvious thing is the ability to change a game. Our lot have been totally outthought by him during games since he came back to United.

Drylaw Hearts

The other obvious thing is the ability to change a game. Our lot have been totally outthought by him during games since he came back to United.

Also a good point.

I actually had a dream last night that Stevie Frail left Hearts due to health reason and we appointed Craig Levein, he also brung Barry Robson with him.

deja vu maybe.:)

• 11 years later...
Jambo 4 Ever
On 18/01/2008 at 09:50, lambojambo said:

Some things don’t change!

• davemclaren locked this topic