zaliukas signs until december 31st 2010

thehibsaregay

If this is true that's good news.

In the last week that is Elliot, Wallace and Zal.

heartsfc_fan

Really? I actually thought he had a very good game last night.

Manny1874

The boy has come on leaps and bounds recently, he has potential to be a quality centre half for Hearts.

Great news

I can't read the link (work), but has he signed for Hearts from Kaunas?

Or was he already signed??

an unexpected surprise. i didnt think he'd stay beyond the summer tbh.

Ibrahim Tall
I can't read the link (work), but has he signed for Hearts from Kaunas?

Or was he already signed??

Marius Zaliukas has signed a new deal which will keep him at Tynecastle until 31 December 2010.

The Lithuanian international defender has been a stalwart in central defence for Hearts, playing in 26 league and cup games this season. He joined Hearts in August 2006 and has made a total of 100 appearances.

Article continues

The 25-year-old joins other Hearts young players such as Lee Wallace (21), Jamie MacDonald (22), Calum Elliot (22) and Jason Thomson (21) who have all recently signed new contracts as the club builds for the future.

_

The December part seems a bit strange, is that the end of the Lithuanian season?

jamboinglasgow

I think he has finally learnt to keep that temper under control and not do such rash challeneges so I am pleased that he is staying on for another year. Will be interesting to see who will be his partner in central defence next year, whether it is Jonsson or McGowan where Zal provides the experence or another experenced defender brought into the club.

Great news !!

Big Zal is my Number one player at Tynecastle right now.

:10900:

colinmaroon

Great News and delighted it's been received with unanimous approval by all Hearts fans on this thread!!!

cosanostra

Great news.

A dominant centre half and a right back with any sort of footballing talent are what we need now.

heartsfc_fan

Hopefully the news that Ruben Palazuelos has also signed on will cap off things :)

Jeremy Goss

I just hope Zal keeps his form up....hes another one the GTFer's love a whinge about.

londonjambo
_

The December part seems a bit strange, is that the end of the Lithuanian season?

No, its the end of December which, in 2010, is due to happen just before the start of January which, coincidentally, is the start of the transfer window.

Some clubs apparently look for players at that time of year. We signed a whole team in January once ... how we laughed.

:err:

GC

PS Forgot to say - good signing

Guest JamboRobbo
Great News and delighted it's been received with unanimous approval by all Hearts fans on this thread!!!

Aye, anyone who thinks he's not a good player can't be a Hearts fan.

Of course, this criteria doesn't apply when you slag off Robbie Neilson though.

For all those saying how well Zal has been playing of late, can I ask if you noticed which Hearts defender got under the ball from a bye kick last night, completely missing his header, thus allowing a certain Hobo player clean through on goal to win a penalty?

Eckauskas
For all those saying how well Zal has been playing of late, can I ask if you noticed which Hearts defender got under the ball from a bye kick last night, completely missing his header, thus allowing a certain Hobo player clean through on goal to win a penalty?

I did notice that.

But what was more important for me was the player who needlessly hauled Riordan to the floor. Could you tell me who that was?

Ibrahim Tall
No, its the end of December which, in 2010, is due to happen just before the start of January which, coincidentally, is the start of the transfer window.

Some clubs apparently look for players at that time of year. We signed a whole team in January once ... how we laughed.

:err:

GC

PS Forgot to say - good signing

Was thinking more if that were the case it would hint that he was still contracted to Kaunas rather than us and we had just extended the loan. Seems even stranger now if that isn't the case.

Tommy Wiseau

Great news.

I look forward to watching big Marius in maroon for the next 3 years.

cosanostra
Great news.

I look forward to watching big Marius in maroon for the next 3 years.

Only 1.5 years Thommo.

Still pretty good though.

Everyones entitled to their opinion but I think Zal is a good player who is getting better. Good news in my opinion. Still unclear whether he has extended his loan or signed to Hearts though?

I think the positive thing to take is that there seems to be a lot of work going on in the background, and when theres news to tell, its announced

Signed Up: Wallace, McDonald, Thomsom, Elliot, Zal

In: Black

Out: Kari, Chesney, Miko

????: Bruno, Kingston, Ruben, Driver, Oboua, Balogh, Kello, Stewart, Adrian, Tullberg, Jonnson, Nade

Victorian

come on, just admit it's good news. you know it makes sense.

Chris Benoit

So because he misses one header in the whole match in what was terrible conditions he has to go? Let's just gloss over the fact that Karapidis got on the wrong side of ratboy for about the 4th time in the game

Tommy Wiseau
Only 1.5 years Thommo.

Still pretty good though.

That's what happens when you don't read things properly. Thought it said 2012.

Apologies - I'll now amend my statement to "Great news. I'm looking forward to big Marius strutting his stuff in maroon for the next 18 months and can only hope that he's given a further extension when the time comes."

I'd argue it was magnificent news.

Tommy Wiseau
I'd forgotten Fletcher was playing, as Zal dominated him so much yesterday.

It's great news he'll be here into the next decade.

Who knows, could he be a captain in waiting?

Yes please.

A better player than Pressley, and a better human being to boot. Just what wee need wearing the armband.

keith greenhill

OK WE WILL AGREE WITH YOU COZ YOU GOT 9143 POST AND I BET A FEW OF THEM ARE SLAGGIN OFF HEARTS PLAYERS.SOME ROCKETS ON HERE OR WOT????????

Guest GhostHunter

I actually think, Big Zal DOES have all the hallmarks of a good captain....

In fact, I said as much before Berra got it :D

Nelly Terraces

For every up there's a down.

Good news about Zal, but the Clum deal is a fecking joke.

I'll be truly happy when I read that 'Today Hearts sold/released Obua/Stewart/Nade/Driver/Kingston', etc, etc...

..I'd argue it was magnificent news.

Let's hear your argument then.

It's okay news, no more - no less. He has played better since his return from suspension but he'll never be the best player on the park, just as he'll never (again) be the worst.

I look forward to hearing your argument as to how this is magnificent news.

The floor is yours...

Guest JamboRobbo
So because he misses one header in the whole match in what was terrible conditions he has to go? Let's just gloss over the fact that Karapidis got on the wrong side of ratboy for about the 4th time in the game

Not at all mate. He's been terrible over a number of seasons. Was just pointing out, to those that say he's been playing better of late (and I agree he has been a bit better of late), that despite "playing better", he still made the mistake that cost us the goal last night.....

Guest JamboRobbo
I did notice that.

But what was more important for me was the player who needlessly hauled Riordan to the floor. Could you tell me who that was?

Karapidas knocked Riordon over. As to whether it was "needless", I'd say more it was "irrelvent".

Whether he knocked him over for the penalty, or let him shoot, the mistake had been made (centre half missing the first ball), and if he Riordon hadn't been fouled, the goal was pretty much inevitable anyway (barring mi**** by Riordon)

Eckauskas
Karapidas knocked Riordon over. As to whether it was "needless", I'd say more it was "irrelvent".

Whether he knocked him over for the penalty, or let him shoot, the mistake had been made (centre half missing the first ball), and if he Riordon hadn't been fouled, the goal was pretty much inevitable anyway (barring mi**** by Riordon)

Did Zaliukas conceed a silly penalty last night? No.

Yet, somehow you've found a way to attribute blame to him. That's actually incredible.

Let's also ignore that out of the two centre backs last night, Zal had a FAR better game.

I'm astounded as to how Karapidis fouling Riordan is 'irrelevant' to us losing last night as well.

Eckauskas

Karapidis let Riordan goalside several times last night.

I bet that was Zal's fault too.

janie jones

Good signing, any good side needs to build from the back and IMO we still need an experienced CB, a right back who is decent on the ball and another younger CB as cover.

Not sure who is nearly ready from the youth set up but Zal and LW are two good youngish players who give us a good base to build from. If Zal can continue to curb his temper and add more concentration to his game he wil develop into a very good CB IMO.

colinmaroon

This is what I said, "Great News and delighted it's been received with unanimous approval by all Hearts fans on this thread!!!"

You're the one who says, "can't be a Hearts fan!"

Never slag Hearts players! Haven't slagged Robbie Neilson! If I criticise on a match-to-match basis, it's not the same as a constant gripe whenever a specific player is mentioned.

And, by the way, if Craig Levein had been fit and hadn't got himself born at the wrong time, he would have used his speed to cover for the fact that a defender had a ball go over his head, and thus saved another from giving away a penalty!!!

Craig Levein GT..............................

Not going to pretend to be happy about this news. He has played a lot better recently but I don't rate him.

Ho hum to this latest piece of great news.

Archived