Congratulations Dundee!

topcat

Everybody loves a cup upset (except, obviously, when it happens to your own team) and given the travails that Dundees followers have had to endure over the years it would be a hard hearted jambo who did not greet the new of their cup victory over Motherwell with a little smile.

It is also a result that brings back a nostalgic feeling of the way things should be. When I first started watching Football Dundee seemed to be a natural top flight mid table outfit. Motherwell were perenial relegation dodgers and there was a pervading feeling of "Why are they still here?" that attached itself to them.

Then it seemed to change Dundee bobbled between divisions while thanks in part to various league reconstructions Motherwell survived in the SPL. To an observer of my age it just seems wrong. Like Hibs winning at Tynecastle, Gretna being in the SPL, Defenders wearing white boots or Chelsea being good I can accept that these things will happen occasionally but deep down I feel them to somehow be an unnatural perversion of the cosmic order.

So as well as the schadenfreude of seeing the team at whose expense we suffered in the previous round be swiftly reminded of how bitter the sting can be when sporting fortune frowns on you it seems that Dundee's victory, following so swiftly on the heels of us moving back above the emerald clad warrior poets from our dockside suburbs, might just be part of some grand turn of the kharmic wheel where a world that seemed out of kilter is regaining some kind of balance.

So if, by some wierd chance, you are a Dundee fan reading this

Congratulations

I wish Dundee had gone bust!

Feck 'em, took far too much pleasure for my liking when they won THAT game. They were all there with their "Celtic minded" mates. Soap dodging barstewards the lot of them!!!

BUT, thank you for Frail (the player), McKinlay, McCann and even Hamilton.

chester copperpot
Nae chance, hate them.

Can never forgive them and St.Midden for 86.

Hope they go bust.

Bitter, twisted, hell yeah.

My feelings on Dundee will never change after crushing a 12 year olds dreams to death that day at Dens park.

Everybody loves a cup upset (except, obviously, when it happens to your own team) and given the travails that Dundees followers have had to endure over the years it would be a hard hearted jambo who did not greet the new of their cup victory over Motherwell with a little smile.

It is also a result that brings back a nostalgic feeling of the way things should be. When I first started watching Football Dundee seemed to be a natural top flight mid table outfit. Motherwell were perenial relegation dodgers and there was a pervading feeling of "Why are they still here?" that attached itself to them.

Then it seemed to change Dundee bobbled between divisions while thanks in part to various league reconstructions Motherwell survived in the SPL. To an observer of my age it just seems wrong. Like Hibs winning at Tynecastle, Gretna being in the SPL, Defenders wearing white boots or Chelsea being good I can accept that these things will happen occasionally but deep down I feel them to somehow be an unnatural perversion of the cosmic order.

So as well as the schadenfreude of seeing the team at whose expense we suffered in the previous round be swiftly reminded of how bitter the sting can be when sporting fortune frowns on you it seems that Dundee's victory, following so swiftly on the heels of us moving back above the emerald clad warrior poets from our dockside suburbs, might just be part of some grand turn of the kharmic wheel where a world that seemed out of kilter is regaining some kind of balance.

So if, by some wierd chance, you are a Dundee fan reading this

Congratulations

I can only assume you were not with us at Dens Park in 86!!:mad:

Frankly I find this post offensive!

yeah it was a good result for them but i still find it hard to say anything positive at all about ****dee. on top of that i wanted M'well to win so they would continue to have a pile up of fixtures which could only help us as we try and move up the table.

I wasnt born, but I was brought up with a hatred of St Mirren, but not Dundee as much, as far I can remember.

Anyway, does this mean we get McGhee quicker...?

chester copperpot
I can only assume you were not with us at Dens Park in 86!!:mad:

Frankly I find this post offensive!

I seriously think that T.C has posted this without thinking through the whole '86 thing, otherwise there's no way he would've posted that IMO.

Well I hope I'm right anyway.

I have to say I'm a wee bit perplexed about the backslapping for Dundee, as far as I am concerned Dundee and Motherwell are similar sized clubs with similar histories in terms of trophy wins and I don't have any particularly strong positive or negative feelings about either of them.

If anything last night's result could make our slim chances of European qualification even slimmer.

Never really had any hate for Dundee. When you are playing the teams at the top - its a cup final. I was only 9 at the time, maybe I dont appreciate it as much as others.

St "Lie down and take it in the ass" Mirren is another matter.

Would imagine Dundee will not have the best finances, this no douby help the cause.

I wasnt born, but I was brought up with a hatred of St Mirren, but not Dundee as much, as far I can remember.

Perhaps :peepwall:

**** them and **** their fans.

A grotesque little club from a grotesque little city.

I was eight years old and watched from the stand as that mutant chuckle brother destroyed our dream. Something, incidentally, their fans are never slow to remind us of.

I'll raise a glass the day Dundee and St Mirren football clubs cease to exist.

Sad and bitter? Yes, but that's the lot of a guy whose first season saw us narrowly miss out on the double.

PS. TCs post is not as much of an outrage as the idiotic Hearts fans who threw money into the Dundonians' begging jars and contributed to their 'Dee for life campaign'.

ToadKiller Dog

Sorry TopCat cant say well done to them .i have to pass that dump of a stadium on the way to work every day and i curse them every time that wont change.

Would like them to come back up ,as enjoy beating them.

You were brought up right

Dundee set out, like a proper professional outfit, to win their final fixture. I wish they hadn't but I can see no way of begrudging them for that. To blame defeat on the fact that our opponents tried to beat us would be wretched.

Everybody who's ever had any connection with St Mirren on the other hand should rot in hell for eternity or worse still spend the rest of their lives in Paisley.

Dundee set out, like a proper professional outfit, to win their final fixture. I wish they hadn't but I can see no way of begrudging them for that. To blame defeat on the fact that our opponents tried to beat us would be wretched.

Everybody whose ever had any connection with St Mirren on the other hand should rot in hell for eternity or worse still spend the rest of their lives in Paisley.

TC their fans enjoy reminding us of that ***** Kidd as much as the desperadoes at incest.net. Your next thread isn't going to be: 'Good luck to Hibs at Ibrox'?

I'm gonna agree with TC and say well done for stuffin motherwell and that *********** Clarkson

(any1 who read the match thread last night knows what im on about ;) hehe )

Jimmy McNulty

Everybody who's ever had any connection with St Mirren on the other hand should rot in hell for eternity or worse still spend the rest of their lives in Paisley.

Could not agree more. (Or, for the benefit of Acey: "Spot on IMO"). :)

It's St Mirren I despise. The story is that Dundee could still qualify for Europe that year, but only if the Gers got an unfavorable result. Apparently the Dundee bench caught a rumour that Rangers were losing, and made subs to try to get a win (I don't remember the Rangers score that day, but do remember that said rumour was untrue...).

TC their fans enjoy reminding us of that ***** Kidd as much as the desperadoes at incest.net. Your next thread isn't going to be: 'Good luck to Hibs at Ibrox'?

Exactly. Nothing against their players in 1986 - they were doing their job (unlike those qunts at Love St). But their fans take more delight in us having lost out on the league than feckin Hibs do so I always hope they lose. Just a pity they're closer to promotion that relegation, the sooner they're in the 3rd division the better.

Guest Dr Venkman

Just makes me feel how much of a missed opportunity it was for us. 2 up against Motherwell at Tynie. Queen of the South next for Dundee!!

I do not like Dundee. They're probably the 7th biggest club in Scotland - yet at the same time, it somehow makes sense that they've been in the doldrums over recent decades while Motherwell or Killie have held their own. There is something about them that screams mediocrity: even when they finished 5th in 98/9 (beating us four times out of four), they were a virtual pub team.

And I was gutted by the result - because I had ?15 at 66-1 on Motherwell to win the Cup! So that's both ties involving them this season that've left me down in the dumps - bugger.

Exactly. Hope they never get promoted and are knocked out in the next round. Tosspots.

Could not agree more. (Or, for the benefit of Acey: "Spot on IMO"). :)

It's St Mirren I despise. The story is that Dundee could still qualify for Europe that year, but only if the Gers got an unfavorable result. Apparently the Dundee bench caught a rumour that Rangers were losing, and made subs to try to get a win (I don't remember the Rangers score that day, but do remember that said rumour was untrue...).

That "Rangers winning" rumour was rubbish - as confirmed to me by Jim Duffy a few years ago!

What he did say was that there were a few Celtic fans in that Dundee team that day (we ALL know who one is!). They were knocking their pan in at the end to help Celtic win the league, not through any pointless effort to qualify for europe!

This talk of being "fair" to Dundee cuts no ice with me, or probably any other Jambo left in tears at Dens Park in 86. After the devastation of watching Albert Kidd run around like a demented weasel and ripping our dreams away, I for one DETEST that Club - I always will!!!!!

Fek Dundee,

Fek Motherwell

Fek Rangers

Fek Celtic

Fek Aberdeen

Fek Hibernian

Fek St Mirren

Fek everyone apart from Heart of Midlothian FC.

hearts @ heart
Never really had any hate for Dundee. When you are playing the teams at the top - its a cup final. I was only 9 at the time, maybe I dont appreciate it as much as others.

St "Lie down and take it in the ass" Mirren is another matter.

Would imagine Dundee will not have the best finances, this no douby help the cause.

You were obviously not there that fatefull day.

DJ cranked it up by saying its raining goals at love st and there all in the one net (at half time). Much to the dundee fans amusement.

Then the reaction at the end by the dundee support you would of thought they had won the league. Made no differance to them as there win did not get them in to europe.

Also there ****bags were waiting to ambush Hearts supporters on there way back to the rail station.

Really dissapointed Well never won.

I was there in 86, and as such detest Dundee and their supporters. I remember how the lined the streets of Dundee after the game winding up the Hearts supporters buses. ****bags. Cannot believe they preferred the weegie **** to win rather than us

I personally find it tough to harbor (sp?)any bad feelings towards Dundee that day. Sure on the day I was tee'd off at them but that was natural just as it was natural for them to react the way they did, we would have done the same, its human nature. Lets not forget that they were in a battle for 5th spot that day with Rangers and at that time I think 5th got them into the UEFA Cup so they were playing for something. As has been said before it was us who fecked it up

That "Rangers winning" rumour was rubbish - as confirmed to me by Jim Duffy a few years ago!

What he did say was that there were a few Celtic fans in that Dundee team that day (we ALL know who one is!). They were knocking their pan in at the end to help Celtic win the league, not through any pointless effort to qualify for europe!

This talk of being "fair" to Dundee cuts no ice with me, or probably any other Jambo left in tears at Dens Park in 86. After the devastation of watching Albert Kidd run around like a demented weasel and ripping our dreams away, I for one DETEST that Club - I always will!!!!!

I did of course mean "Rangers losing". :confused:

No qualms at all with the result that day, Dundee did as they should have done and played to win the game. I will never forgive their fans though, celebrated like they'd won the World Cup. Stick me in with the hope they go bust guys. Having said that I take some pleasure from Motherwell crashing out of the cup, cannae stand their support.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Bitter, twisted, hell yeah.

My feelings on Dundee will never change after crushing a 12 year olds dreams to death that day at Dens park.

12 year old?

that must have been your son then! ;)

But, Agreed, Dundee and St Midden hope they go bust.

Dundee, Motherwell and St Mirren are all up there amongst my most hated clubs.

All grotty wee clubs from grotty wee places.

Archived