Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Harveys on lothain rd for the happy hour (was mega cheap)

The Penthouse in tollcross was that a pub or a niteclub it used to open later than most pubs at the time had some great times in there ah bring back the 1970s.

The Americana used to be some funny rucks between the TCR and the BAR-OX ootside there .

I remember Harvey's but can't remember where on Lothian Road it was.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harveys on lothain rd for the happy hour (was mega cheap)

The Penthouse in tollcross was that a pub or a niteclub it used to open later than most pubs at the time had some great times in there ah bring back the 1970s.

The Americana used to be some funny rucks between the TCR and the BAR-OX ootside there .

Penthouse was the bees knees.

Jam Tarts 1874

The Western.

Burke and Hare.

Anne Marie?

Ha Ha! 

Anne Marie finally left The Western not so long ago, we actually went on a date about 20 odd years ago!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Ha Ha! 

Anne Marie finally left The Western not so long ago, we actually went on a date about 20 odd years ago!

I used to work in the Western with Anne Marie. Probably just a bit more than 20 years ago.

The White Cockade

Rumours, Mad Hatters, Cinderellas and Buster Browns for me

Also there was a place at the West End downstairs I think near the Caledonian Hotel?

I used to work in the Western with Anne Marie. Probably just a bit more than 20 years ago.

Remember Brenda?

Anne Maries' side kick.

Woodville Lounge  Bar 1976

Barclay?s

Chaplin?s 1980 -89

The Belfry circa 1999

Hendricks

Forgotten about Barclays!

luckyBatistuta

Penguin cafe was Castle street.

Penguin was on Frederick street

Bermuda Triangle was above Outer Limits (anybody remember seeing Man 2 Man play there...turned into a bit of a riot)

Reds and Greys on Lothian road ( had a TVs wall...fab)

Cas Rock on West Port

Morgan - it was one of my 'locals' from 1976 to 1979 when I lived in Gillespie Crescent. My other local was the Auld Toll!

Auld Toll was another of mine too.

And the Burnt Post and the Kings Arms.

Penthouse was my all time favourite.

Morgan - it was one of my 'locals' from 1976 to 1979 when I lived in Gillespie Crescent. My other local was the Auld Toll!

Right, here's another for you.

Pub in Rose Street on the corner of the lane leading down to the back entrance of Boots. Robert Anthony jewellers on opposite corner. Flower baskets hanging outside maybe. Possibly around early to mid nineties.

Get you thinking cap on Stuart!

Kenilworth?

No.

Other end of the precinct.

Up Frederick St. and turn left into Rose Street. First boozer on the left. Nowadays there is a Greggs almost opposite it.

Hurry up will you..

Opposite end from the Kenilworth

The Goblet 1962-63

and 1974-80 then

Precinct then

Breck?s Bar 1999 to 2007

Element now

Precinct - that's it.

Christ, your good.

Holy smokes, what a thread. The Top Story all the way threw most mentioned on here to the Sorbonne for me, then I left   :sad3:    Morgan, was it not just called the tartan tavern? That's what jumped into my mind but could be wrong.

What about the wonderful d?cor and ambiance of upstairs in the Goodies (Good companions). circa 1971, had some great time there  :laugh4:

Seymour M Hersh

Styx - George Street was a favoured haunt Friday after work till yon time. First place I had Red Stripe in cans.

Maddogs was also fun sometimes.

Fingers a "quality" late night venue also the place on the corner of Queens St & North Charlotte St before she went to Fingers.

Back in the day I had spells DJ'ing in Harveys, Pipers, Bobby McGhee's and a couple of guest spots at Valentino's.

Staggered along Gillespie Crescent many a time to the end and climbed over the wall into my back garden as a shortcut after having a skin full around Tollcross that would include the Auld Toll around that time.

Edited by niblick1874

Seymour M Hersh

Had many a good night in Valentino's

Also used to frequent Clouds where I recall the 3rd floor of the building had a smaller disco that I think was called Ziggy's.

The place used to get packed and I swear the floor bounced. Would never get a safety certificate nowadays.

I remember in Valentino's tapping a blonde on the shoulder to dance and when the person turned round it turned out to be a bloke.

Well it was dark and the hair was all long in those days !

It bounced because it was a sprung floor which I believe was fairly common for old style "Dance Halls" dating back to the 20's.

They did a short 'busking' tour up and down the UK unnanounced and then descended on Edinburgh, where they played at La Sorbonne (cowgate) and on Princes street, then Outer Limits (now cavendish). Being a busking gig, they had no PA and refused the mics that were offered to them, so basically all you could hear was the audience singing along to them !!!

They only did 6 or 7 numbers, but because it was free, no-one gave a toss, we were just happy to witness it!

:smiley2:

I saw Big Audio Dynamite at the Sorbonne, the place was empty.

There was one on South St David Street that was open until 6am for the bouncers to go to. You went upstairs to it. I'm sure it was called Harlequins or something. Always full of young ladies that were 'liberal' with their favours :2thumbsup:. And Tommy Moore bouncing at Busters. Big unit. 

Penthouse was a top pub.Used to play for their Sunday league team around 1975/6.They were tops as well.Same owner had the Bandwagon in Hanover St?Also many good Saturday nights in there.

I used to meet friends in the Burke and Hare around that time before we'd go to the Hearts games. We formed a teem  around 1975/6, we were called West Port Albion :smiley2:  . There is something that is ringing a bell about a team out of the Penthouse but I can't quite put my finger on it.

luckyBatistuta

Also there was a place at the West End downstairs I think near the Caledonian Hotel?

Do you mean Latacche...god knows if that's the spelling, as my brain is fried these days.

The White Cockade

Do you mean Latacche...god knows if that's the spelling, as my brain is fried these days.

aye that's the fella!

25/30 years have flown by since that was my work's Friday night haunt

also used to go to Bar at Caley Hotel to see North Sea Gas

Yes, Latacche!

Well done.

torino calcio

They did a short 'busking' tour up and down the UK unnanounced and then descended on Edinburgh, where they played at La Sorbonne (cowgate) and on Princes street, then Outer Limits (now cavendish). Being a busking gig, they had no PA and refused the mics that were offered to them, so basically all you could hear was the audience singing along to them !!!

They only did 6 or 7 numbers, but because it was free, no-one gave a toss, we were just happy to witness it!

:smiley2:

It was only Simenon and Strummer though and I think two other guys who became part of the Clash towards the end.

aye that's the fella!

25/30 years have flown by since that was my work's Friday night haunt

also used to go to Bar at Caley Hotel to see North Sea Gas

lattache was oscars before that. platform one was the caley hotel

Edited by reaths17

Fxxx the SPFL

Met the wife outside Valentino's in 1978 she was in the queue as was I but I was pissed and didn't get in neither did the wife we ended up at the Americana when you had to sign in and be over 21 the wife who was 17 put down her correct DOB but still got in and the rest they say is history. Can anyone remember the boozer that used to be at St Andrew sq bus station I remember having a few drinks in there before putting the wife on the number 95 bus back to Melrose before we were married I'm sure it was always pretty brutal and a few paggers most weekends.

Met the wife outside Valentino's in 1978 she was in the queue as was I but I was pissed and didn't get in neither did the wife we ended up at the Americana when you had to sign in and be over 21 the wife who was 17 put down her correct DOB but still got in and the rest they say is history. Can anyone remember the boozer that used to be at St Andrew sq bus station I remember having a few drinks in there before putting the wife on the number 95 bus back to Melrose before we were married I'm sure it was always pretty brutal and a few paggers most weekends.

Clyde Bar?

The Highwayman. My first underage drinking expeditions were in there.

Say What Again

The Highwayman. My first underage drinking expeditions were in there.

Was trying to remember the name of that place only yesterday.

One of the guys did get it though.

The Highwayman 1976 to 1980 Clyde Street

Sutherland?s

The Postillion

Now demolished

The Clyde Bar was latterly the Snug I think - address Elder Street

The Traveller?s Tryst's address was N St Andrew?s Street

Theere was a Traveller's Rest in Bread Street

Edited by Stuart Lyon

The Postilion. Great wee boozer that sat almost on a wee island in the middle of the station.

Jam Tarts 1874

Mark is still owner, bumped into him not so long ago.

I suspect that by the time you were working there they had started the lap dancing rather than just the good old days of the go-go's?

Styx - George Street was a favoured haunt Friday after work till yon time. First place I had Red Stripe in cans.

Maddogs was also fun sometimes.

Fingers a "quality" late night venue also the place on the corner of Queens St & North Charlotte St before she went to Fingers.

Back in the day I had spells DJ'ing in Harveys, Pipers, Bobby McGhee's and a couple of guest spots at Valentino's.

Refreshers? round the corner from Styx

Mark is still owner, bumped into him not so long ago.

I suspect that by the time you were working there they had started the lap dancing rather than just the good old days of the go-go's?

We used to meet the every Thursday to watch Top of the Pops ? the halcyon days of punk and new wave

We would then stay for a while to watch the go go dancers

If any of you are old enough to remember how the old juke boxes work ( they played the singles in the order they were selected )

Girl would put on first song, wait until it started then choose the second and then ask us to press her selection for the all-important 3rd dance when her top was removed !!

This was usually a smooch or ?sexy? tune .. Marvin Gaye.Donna Summer or some such but we would put on White Riot or Frigging in the Rigging instead

Cue dancer and punters going mental at us leading to an eventual life ban

We used to meet the every Thursday to watch Top of the Pops ? the halcyon days of punk and new wave

We would then stay for a while to watch the go go dancers

If any of you are old enough to remember how the old juke boxes work ( they played the singles in the order they were selected )

Girl would put on first song, wait until it started then choose the second and then ask us to press her selection for the all-important 3rd dance when her top was removed !!

This was usually a smooch or ?sexy? tune .. Marvin Gaye.Donna Summer or some such but we would put on White Riot or Frigging in the Rigging instead

Cue dancer and punters going mental at us leading to an eventual life ban

Remember the dancer called Lucy?

Cairneyhill Jambo

There was a further one in St James Centre, not the one at the Leith Street entrance but further in that you had to wander through the roof terrace thing to get to. I think this eventually became an over 30s venue.

Was that not a singles venue?  I can remember being dragged there one Friday night by one of my mates. It was like grab a granny night.  Horrendous place and we left after 15 minutes. That must have been about 1988-89.  The Boston Bean Bar was the one just at the right to the entrance of the St James Centre.  Don't know if that is still there.

anyone remember Rock Bottom?

Yes me.

Can't remember where it was though.

How about Burlington Berties'? Remember there?

hmm not really it was a while ago

hmm not really it was a while ago

Aberdeen fan, pointed ar everyone whilst dancing.

Dancing is a loose term!