Eastenders Mafia

yvonnejambo

BoJack Horseman
To me it's more fun being a townie than being mafia or having a pro-townie role (though I must admit, being the assassin could be quite fun). Maybe I just relish the challenge (or should that be mental torment) more than most :)

Ach, I don't mind being a townie. Not sure how many games I could go in a row playing that role though. Would get very boring very quickly. I'm looking forward to a role at some point, whatever it may be. So i'm technically pro more roles, as it gives me a better chance.

How about instead of 4 goons have 6 but split them into two groups of three. They don't know each others identity and if they vote for each other a penalty occurs, not sure what though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jambopompey
Yeah well my bog roll theory was also spot on!

unfortunately my pebble dash came up with 666

jambopompey
Ach, I don't mind being a townie. Not sure how many games I could go in a row playing that role though. Would get very boring very quickly. I'm looking forward to a role at some point, whatever it may be. So i'm technically pro more roles, as it gives me a better chance.

How about instead of 4 goons have 6 but split them into two groups of three. They don't know each others identity and if they vote for each other a penalty occurs, not sure what though.

vote albannach :batman:

yvonnejambo

I did a game a while back with 2 groups of 3 goons. Also did a game that everyone had a role and were in 4 groups. 2 good and 2 bad.

BoJack Horseman
I did a game a while back with 2 groups of 3 goons. Also did a game that everyone had a role and were in 4 groups. 2 good and 2 bad.

You've done everything haven't you?

I quite liked that latter idea. Gives everyone a sense of purpose. Not entirely sure how it would work out though.

It has been done a few times before and to be frank they just end up being even more random and aimless than the normal format, I think one or two actually ended in draws.

Extra roles can make it more fun if the balance is right, which is why mason type roles should be abolished, IMO it's actually not a 'fun' role to get anyway.

Like Yvonne said, people who can't be arsed trying should not sign up, that would be a good place to start. Then if folk actually got a bit more involved in the psychological aspect of the game (in other words used some logic and look for clues) instead of just lobbing in random votes the town might actually win a few games. It has been done, Deek's Easter game last year springs to mind (pun intended), the townies kicked ass in that game.

yvonnejambo
You've done everything haven't you?

I quite liked that latter idea. Gives everyone a sense of purpose. Not entirely sure how it would work out though.

I am sure there are many variations which aint been done yet! :)

I actually cant remember what the feeling was on that game overall. There were a group that were police, doctors and 2 gangs. Anyone else remember?

BoJack Horseman
It has been done a few times before and to be frank they just end up being even more random and aimless than the normal format, I think one or two actually ended in draws.

Extra roles can make it more fun if the balance is right, which is why mason type roles should be abolished, IMO it's actually not a 'fun' role to get anyway.

Like Yvonne said, people who can't be arsed trying should not sign up, that would be a good place to start. Then if folk actually got a bit more involved in the psychological aspect of the game (in other words used some logic and look for clues) instead of just lobbing in random votes the town might actually win a few games. It has been done, Deek's Easter game last year springs to mind (pun intended), the townies kicked ass in that game.

I agree on the not signing up if you're not interested part, although it does help in the first couple of nights when noone has any idea and want a quick kill. It also helps goons to hide though (Peanut).

I personally think 20+ is too many people to begin with. A nice, smaller game that goes quickly wouldn't go amiss. I really prefered the quickness of this game, in that we got a lynch at least once a day. However the 20+ people made it go on a bit.

well done goons, to think over the mass of PM's between us masons we did have deek and boof pegged but not enough to get everyone to join in.

I did volunteer to out myself a few days ago, but the info we had was poor to say the least.

At least i can empty my PM folder now its almost full

I said Deek in my very first PM... and subsequently went after pretty much every townie going.

Lessons for next time are not to treat each day as a new event. We almost had boof a number of times and instead went for people we probably felt less about but went with them anyway because we just weren't sure.

Obviously that means we could have taken Albannach out as well but that may have given us more to go on than going for less talkative posters.

Oh and the Doc should use BS next time, which since I've invented it (correct me if I'm wrong) should be called JS :)

This is only my first game, and I read through the Futurama one. Do the townies ever win? Presumably if the cop lasts a little longer it can be easier for the masons to influence things instead of the blind leading the blind scenario AR, pompey and myself were part of!

I liked this though, losing aside, and will be back for the next one. Probably accusing all the wrong people as well.

:gun_bandana::gun_bandana:

As I've aye said, and so have the high-posters, it's the signer-uppers who become non-posters who are the biggest erse-ache.

Though I do fondly recall the time when Jamie was the head goon and Deek modkilled him :laugh:

Gotta say that Deek is the most ruthless of moderators - harsh, but fair...everyone knows where they stand.

I do remember that 4 gangs game - think I was a goon and didn't win. I quite like the variations but Maxi's heroes games always, repeat always, had me flummoxed.

The one day deadlines worked well - kept the game going and probably worked in the goons' favour. I remember the first game when we didn't have deadlines and had to wait for a majority vote...that does make it harder for the goons.

I thought you had a terrific game Jen - when I asked if it was your first game I was thinking of accusing you of being coached :D

It's a thankless task being the crusading townie though - stats galore and you end up whacked :(

Could we get a hint as to who's had roles before?

Boof - goon (several), doc (tricky), cop (inventor of BS and game winner:D), townie (waaay too often) + whatever I've been in the Heroes games

Oh, Lordy!! I've just remembered ArmiyaRomanova's Werewolf game when I was a star-crossed lover or something and my soulmate (and thus me) got taken out on the first night :laugh:

Would also agree that the deadline each day was a good thing. Felt it ran smoother.

There's probably two ways of looking at the 20+ player games. It makes it harder to spot the goons but on the other hand even if a few townies are lost early on, the odds are still heavily in favour of the them so it balances itself up.

I don't mind what type of game we go with next but I do think that anyone that plays has to be active.

I've been Mafia about 3 times, mason about 3 times, doc once (my favourite game - the watershed down one), cop twice (killed first day/night both times if I remember rightly) and never had any of the other roles. Of course I've been a townie far too often usually acting as the heroic man of action who gets killed early but a few times I could not summon up the old fighting spirit and ended up just fooling around.

I've only been roles 3 times every time a goon

2 wins and a draw so I'm unbeaten

Have to disagree with maxi, although never having played in a simplified game I think having masons gives them a sense of responsibility and forces them to act for the town

Sign up thread for the shakesperean mafia will be Friday with game starting next week

I thought you had a terrific game Jen - when I asked if it was your first game I was thinking of accusing you of being coached :D

It's a thankless task being the crusading townie though - stats galore and you end up whacked :(

Could we get a hint as to who's had roles before?

Boof - goon (several), doc (tricky), cop (inventor of BS and game winner:D), townie (waaay too often) + whatever I've been in the Heroes games

Oh, Lordy!! I've just remembered ArmiyaRomanova's Werewolf game when I was a star-crossed lover or something and my soulmate (and thus me) got taken out on the first night :laugh:

Thanks boof. As I said, I read my way through the Futurama thread and saw AR/Medico talking about spreadsheets etc and I think by day two I realised the only way to actually give an informed (even if wrong) decision was to actually keep track of everything that happened from the very start.

Obviously that led to some wrongful lynches but the hardest thing is when townies offer no real defence of themselves when they're heading for a lynch. "You'll see how wrong you are when I'm dead" is only useful to the goons and should be outlawed as a response to someone voting for you!

I have to admit it seems to me that it's much easier for the goons to win the game than the townies. There are just so many ways for the goons to hide and half the townies help them out by not being very active. Weirdly it may actually be easier for the townies to win in a smaller game because there are fewer other townies setting themselves up early on through their (perceived) weird behaviour.

I'm not sure who said that mason wasn't a fun role but I liked it (maybe cos I'm a newbie though). I am aware that in every game I play now I'll have to spew out the stats or I'll be accused of being a goon! And when I eventually am a goon, no-one will trust my stats after that! Haha.

I have really enjoyed this, though. Good game, Yvonne.

HMFCjamieHMFC
As I've aye said, and so have the high-posters, it's the signer-uppers who become non-posters who are the biggest erse-ache.

Though I do fondly recall the time when Jamie was the head goon and Deek modkilled him :laugh:

Gotta say that Deek is the most ruthless of moderators - harsh, but fair...everyone knows where they stand.

I do remember that 4 gangs game - think I was a goon and didn't win. I quite like the variations but Maxi's heroes games always, repeat always, had me flummoxed.

The one day deadlines worked well - kept the game going and probably worked in the goons' favour. I remember the first game when we didn't have deadlines and had to wait for a majority vote...that does make it harder for the goons.

Which one was that because i have been modkilled quite a few times

yvonnejambo

Thanks for the thanks :). Was an easy game to run for once! I did have to stop myself going out drinking over the weekend just so I could be in and able to focus for the deadlines, so back to weekend drinking yippeee.

I also told Deek at the football he is to good at being dodgy! :)

look forward to just playing in the next game and hopefully survive more than a day. Malky if your sign up thread appears on Fri I may not be on, so hopefully I can get a place if someone signs me up :) :)

If not I will be on late Sat after the trip home from the game and see if there is any places left.

jambopompey

jen was a breathe of fresh air, with myself and AR going over past games ( i know apart from the last game it was 18 months since i last done this), but everyone was a goon, we did have deek down as a goon for his defence of the doctor, but we like everyone else got swayed, i do think that some players need a rest from the game, even for a few games, but not all at the same time, i feel from the last 2 games that the doctor needs a rest from the game, anyone that has played it too often gets stuck in the same rut, that would allow others to get the feel for the game, only if they frigging post

ArmiyaRomanova

Yup, well-run and enjoyable game, yvonne (apart from giving the goons a pretty good idea who the cop might be, booooo :laugh:)

I've been pretty much everything in games over the (blimey) 3 years we've been playing this - everything except the assassin, I think.

Time for me to take a rest for a while though... over the summer perhaps. We'll see.

Oh, and congrats to JamboJen - her first game, and I think she did pretty well, considering how clueless we all were as Masons.

jen was a breathe of fresh air,

Oh, and congrats to JamboJen - her first game, and I think she did pretty well, considering how clueless we all were as Masons.

Thanks very much guys, it was definately good to have some team-mates for my debut!

I think (hope) I've learnt loads that I can take into the next one and hopefully we'll manage to take the Mafia down!

Yowser! Too many of the regulars saying they're planning to take a rest...and I was gonna do the same.

If the next game can be a short sharp one I might be in (mind you I could be lynched on day 1) but I'll be net-less from 25 to 30 May living it up in Auld Reekie with a bunch of schoolkids.

ArmiyaRomanova
Yowser! Too many of the regulars saying they're planning to take a rest...and I was gonna do the same.

If the next game can be a short sharp one I might be in (mind you I could be lynched on day 1) but I'll be net-less from 25 to 30 May living it up in Auld Reekie with a bunch of schoolkids.

Get in touch if you've a spare moment - but FFS don't subject me to any schoolkids :laugh:

ArmiyaRomanova
AR - that's some freaky avatar you've got!

It's my Tom English tribute....

Would also agree that the deadline each day was a good thing. Felt it ran smoother.

There's probably two ways of looking at the 20+ player games. It makes it harder to spot the goons but on the other hand even if a few townies are lost early on, the odds are still heavily in favour of the them so it balances itself up.

I don't mind what type of game we go with next but I do think that anyone that plays has to be active.

There should be a ratio of goons to townies. I try and do around 4 to 1. So with 25 players I would have a gang of six goons.

Have a read at this for ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(game)

There are some additional roles you can use, but as Maxi has said, the simple game can be the best.

Just wait until JennyJambo comes back to the mafia games. That will be confusing. :qqb010:

what a disaster of game... oh, and wooooooo!

and how does Deek know my name?

wooooo!

2 years ago we were masons together and you e mailed me an excel spreadsheet you were keeping of the game. Unless you use a non de plume then that is how I know. :policeman:

good game vonny

townies we suck the fat one, we really do suck!

i did tell you though, but hey ho

Thanks for the thanks :). Was an easy game to run for once! I did have to stop myself going out drinking over the weekend just so I could be in and able to focus for the deadlines, so back to weekend drinking yippeee.

I also told Deek at the football he is to good at being dodgy! :)

look forward to just playing in the next game and hopefully survive more than a day. Malky if your sign up thread appears on Fri I may not be on, so hopefully I can get a place if someone signs me up :) :)

If not I will be on late Sat after the trip home from the game and see if there is any places left.

say a number and it's yours for the game

Just wait until JennyJambo comes back to the mafia games. That will be confusing. :qqb010:

It did cross my mind that it would be fun to rig the random draw so that the team of goons was Milky, Malky, Marty and Martin :laugh:

yvonnejambo
say a number and it's yours for the game

Number 6 please :)

Chris Benoit
It did cross my mind that it would be fun to rig the random draw so that the team of goons was Milky, Malky, Marty and Martin :laugh:

That would be amazing, it did happen a couple of times in Futurama game vote Malky-French unvote martymcfrench

There are some additional roles you can use, but as Maxi has said, the simple game can be the best.

I read the mafiasc0m website when I was setting up the heroes game and that is basically what most folk said and that every new role you add requires something to offset it, it's a difficult balancing act which is why it took me bloody hours to create that format!

Right guys, as fate decrees the moment I try to organise a game I get called away to Norway so I'll be flying out Tuesday coming back Thursday morning.

Plan will be to put the sign up thread up on Friday and even if it fills up quickly I won't look to start until Thursday when I'm back.

BoJack Horseman
Right guys, as fate decrees the moment I try to organise a game I get called away to Norway so I'll be flying out Tuesday coming back Thursday morning.

Plan will be to put the sign up thread up on Friday and even if it fills up quickly I won't look to start until Thursday when I'm back.

Ah that's pretty crap.

Maximus, fancy doing a really simple, small game in the mean time? Get us warmed up for the big show?

Don't stress about it, especially as you've got a lot on.

As Albannach says, maybe a good idea for someone else to do it in the meantime.

Archived