Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Cheers, V.

Although I'm a keen golfer, I've never got on top of the rules for matches. Basically, I always err on the side of caution if in doubt but this whole malarkey would be beyond me. That's why I stay away from team comps!

Great new avatar, by the way!

the rules can be a bit daunting right enough but it's always handy to keep the R&A rulebook in the bag to refer to if unsure about anything. there are many grey areas that can be stumbled upon from time to time which doesn't help. as far as matchplay is concerned, as long as the two sides agree on stuff - or agree to seek advice - there's never usually too many problems.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
Up to a Maximum of 4 shots.

The rules are important and well spotted that in Matchplay you have to sort out the conflict before you tee off at the next hole.

As for them telling you the Yardage, I am not sure that is a problem as it is a factual thing. You cannot ask or receive advice on the course, e.g the put will slope from right to left, the wind is strong... but you can talk about yardages as it is fact, e.g on the tee you ask him to read you the yardage as you forgot your reading glasses.

As for the laser pointer... I have no idea!

The laser rangefinders are legal but it's usually subject to a local rule. The top of the range ones have a thingummy which compensates for slope, so will give you a distance 'as the crow flies' and a distance allowing for slope - which can add quite a few yards. The slope adjustment is not allowed by the R&A in competition.

I think the home team for our match were playing as if it were a local comp - i.e. rangefinders allowed. The competition, though, run by the Mail, forbids their use - i.e. a 'local' rule for the comp.

I think that the oppo started to give the good guys the yards because they'd been caught out and thought they would level the field by helping out. The trouble was that our guys never had the competition rules with them so it would have been impossible to settle the dispute on the course after the first 'offence' and before the next tee.

Talking about rules - one of the best uses of the rule book that I saw was when Sevvy found himself in among a plantation of staked trees. He took his first drop and found that another tree interfered with his swing; he took another drop - same result. By the time he'd finished dropping, he was virtually back on the fairway! I used that one myself at the Belfry (PGA) a few years ago.

Up to a Maximum of 4 shots.

The rules are important and well spotted that in Matchplay you have to sort out the conflict before you tee off at the next hole.

As for them telling you the Yardage, I am not sure that is a problem as it is a factual thing. You cannot ask or receive advice on the course, e.g the put will slope from right to left, the wind is strong... but you can talk about yardages as it is fact, e.g on the tee you ask him to read you the yardage as you forgot your reading glasses.

As for the laser pointer... I have no idea!

you're quite right, i'm sure i heard that before too about the max 4 shots, but had forgotten that. every day a school day! it's not something that would ever concern me personally because i only ever carry about 12/13 clubs.

I P Knightley
the rules can be a bit daunting right enough but it's always handy to keep the R&A rulebook in the bag to refer to if unsure about anything. there are many grey areas that can be stumbled upon from time to time which doesn't help. as far as matchplay is concerned, as long as the two sides agree on stuff - or agree to seek advice - there's never usually too many problems.

I've got the rulebook right enough. I'm probably OK with 95% of the content by heart but there are some guys who really know it inside out.

What I don't enjoy is on a scorecard where the local rules state "relief can be taken under rule 25(a) (ii)" or whatever. Why not just tell me what to do?!?!

Talking about rules - one of the best uses of the rule book that I saw was when Sevvy found himself in among a plantation of staked trees. He took his first drop and found that another tree interfered with his swing; he took another drop - same result. By the time he'd finished dropping, he was virtually back on the fairway! I used that one myself at the Belfry (PGA) a few years ago.

This is a rule most people get wrong. When you have a free drop you get 1 club length and when you take a penalty drop, you generally are awarded 2 club lengths (I said Generally)

But most people are inclined to drop it 1 club length from where their ball lies. This is wrong as it should be 1 club length from the nearest point of relief. It is therefore possible to be moving the ball 10 yards or more back towards the fairway in a staked tree plantation, or an area of rough infested with molehills. It is up to the player to determine where the nearest point of relief is.

This is a rule most people get wrong. When you have a free drop you get 1 club length and when you take a penalty drop, you generally are awarded 2 club lengths (I said Generally)

But most people are inclined to drop it 1 club length from where their ball lies. This is wrong as it should be 1 club length from the nearest point of relief. It is therefore possible to be moving the ball 10 yards or more back towards the fairway in a staked tree plantation, or an area of rough infested with molehills. It is up to the player to determine where the nearest point of relief is.

as you will no doubt know yourself, that's probably the most abused rule going. from what i have seen and heard about, guys can tend to enter a plantation and more or less chuck the ball out sideways at which ever point they think is best.

there are very few people who are capable of correctly recalling every rule from the rulebook but a knowledge of the basics and most commonly encountered ones isn't asking too much.

scots civil war

i played a comp at the glen on sat morning just there

on the uphill par three 4th,i jammed a rescue into the wind and the ball landed 15feet behind the pin

the putt slid off to the side and i had a 4ft pin high putt to go uphill....i marked the ball,placed it again and a sudden bit of wind rolled my ball back by about half.....

i putted out after informing my playing partners. i had replaced the ball onto its original spot with me taking their advice

the matey said i would have a one stroke penalty.and i wasnt going to argue with he being one of the team which won a national rules quiz thing a couple of years ago

i was ****ing fuming at this rule.....if i remember ,the open at birkdale last year had testicles sliding all over the gaff and no mention of a ridiculous rule like that being implemented......

in short,i think its an unfair rule....opinions please

Rule 18-2b I think

Ball Moving After Address

If a player?s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made."

Had you addressed the ball before it moved? (Addressed is both taken your stance and grounding of the club)

If yes - its a penalty shot and you replace the ball where it was

If no (and this is why Pros generally do not ground the club at address) then you replace the ball where it was with no penalty.

Who was it that said it? My dad was on the Glen's team that won the Scottish Rules Championship a couple of times and drills this kind of crap into me!

I'm playing the Glen on the 30th for and Invitational. Should be good. Haven't played it for ages!

scots civil war

i remember spotting,then placing the ball

then upon getting up off my knees,i saw the ball roll back half(ball)

im quite sure i hadnt addressed it properly chief...definitely wasnt over it preparing to stroke iirc

bit sore about it tbh

glens looking great just now,but the greens still aint fast enough.im going scotscraig on saturday

Carl Spackler
Rule 18-2b I think

Ball Moving After Address

If a player?s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made."

Had you addressed the ball before it moved? (Addressed is both taken your stance and grounding of the club)

If yes - its a penalty shot and you replace the ball where it was

If no (and this is why Pros generally do not ground the club at address) then you replace the ball where it was with no penalty.

Who was it that said it? My dad was on the Glen's team that won the Scottish Rules Championship a couple of times and drills this kind of crap into me!

I'm playing the Glen on the 30th for and Invitational. Should be good. Haven't played it for ages!

Pretty unfair if it rolled back after being replaced. That's gravity or wind at work. I would say 18-1 applies.

18-1 - Ball was moved by an outside agency. No penalty.

http://randapublic.loghar.com/flash/rules/rules_2008_2011.html

scots civil war

very unfair in my book chief........im going to bring it up with the hibby barsteward of a playing partner,next time i see him

there was no explanation of 2 parts to the rule,just a straight old `thats a one stroke penalty`

il know the next time,as the glen can be rather windy

Just so you are sure..

Wind is not an outside agency

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/g/rules_outsideag.htm

Definition: Definitions from the Official Rules of Golf appear courtesy of the USGA.

Outside Agency: An "outside agency" is any agency not part of the match or, in stroke play, not part of the competitor?s side, and includes a referee, a marker, an observer and a forecaddie. Neither wind nor water is an outside agency.

i had this in a tie recently. marked ball on a slope which is exposed to the wind and i couldn't get the thing back down without it starting to roll away. i was there for about 10 mins trying to replace it.

for anyone tempted and possibly not aware of the rule - you're not allowed to press the ball down in any way. no downward pressure is permitted when replacing the ball.

Carl Spackler
Just so you are sure..

Wind is not an outside agency

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/g/rules_outsideag.htm

Definition: Definitions from the Official Rules of Golf appear courtesy of the USGA.

Outside Agency: An "outside agency" is any agency not part of the match or, in stroke play, not part of the competitor?s side, and includes a referee, a marker, an observer and a forecaddie. Neither wind nor water is an outside agency.

Correct. 18-1 doesn't apply. However, 18-2 surely doesn't either as the player in this case isn't the one who moved the ball. 18-2 applies to the ball being moved by the player, partner, caddie or equipment. 18-1 may not apply to the ball being moved by the wind but as far as I can tell neither does the rest of rule 18. Surely the wind is damnum fatale, force majeure (an act of god). The rules of golf surely aren't implying that the actions of wind or gravity can be controlled by the player? If that was the case why would any of us accidentally hit a ball OB in a strong wind?

Also, re 18-2 there isn't even a penalty if you accidentally touch the ball when addressing it. The USGA rules here state that under 18-2a)i)

Link here.

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/pdf/2008ROG.pdf

Civil War is in the clear IMO.

Yea.. I re-read all of rule 18 and it is a strange one.

I would stick by what I said earlier and it depends on whether he had addressed the ball or not.

The Mighty Thor

What's the congregations view on Bandits?

You know the 18/19/20 handicappers that invariably play pish in medals and then come out and hump you up and down the place in matchplay.

I had a tie on Tuesday night and shot 80 (Net 72) and got horsed 3&2 from a 19 handicapper! (i'm off 8)

Fair play to the boy he used his shots well but it's a bit demorailising when you're birdieing holes to get a half!

ach well cest la vie. I've freed up more time for social golf!

I played last Monday night at Deer Park, Livi, managed to get rid of the terible hook i had. I was 84 after 16 with two par 4s left to play. It got too dark to carry on. Getting the feel of it now. On the whole last year i was fairly bad when I did play, so hopefully a few better rounds in the next month I will start enjoying it again. Striking the ball fairly well, just need to improve putting and some chipping around the green. However my chipping was my strong point last year. More practice is needed though.

You know the 18/19/20 handicappers that invariably play pish in medals and then come out and hump you up and down the place in matchplay.

I had a tie on Tuesday night and shot 80 (Net 72) and got horsed 3&2 from a 19 handicapper! (i'm off 8)

Fair play to the boy he used his shots well but it's a bit demorailising when you're birdieing holes to get a half!

there are different degrees of banditry i believe.

there are those who can consistently perform better than their handicap in matchplay ties by a few shots and thereby be extremely hard to live with, but are still beatable nonetheless.

there are those (usually higher handicappers of the level you describe) who sometimes perform better than their handicap by so many shots that it's impossible to live with them. i find that normally a high handicapper will have some weakness lurking in his game but if it doesn't surface during the match then you can be stuffed out of sight regardless of how well you play yourself.

i once gave away about 10 shots one time and i was beat 7/5 even though i was only about 2 over par thru 13 holes (i'm off 7).

there are folk about who have high handicaps but they are completely genuine due to them not being able to compile decent medal rounds, and there are some who artificially keep the handicaps high (pot hunters).

I have a tie this Monday morning coming against a player who has just started playing again after a few years off. He came back and played 3 medal rounds and was given a handicap of 20.

The next medal he won and is now down to 18.

He played of 8 a few years back and I need to give him 12 shots on Monday.

Pants

Carl Spackler
I have a tie this Monday morning coming against a player who has just started playing again after a few years off. He came back and played 3 medal rounds and was given a handicap of 20.

Pants

I feel your pain.

I'm off 9. At my absolute best I'll play to 3. Just now I play to probably to about 12. In a typical round my game will vary between that of Jack Nicklaus and that belonging to Frank Spencer.

When it comes to matches 20 handicappers are the ones that set off the warning bells for me!

giving away a rake of shots really piles the pressure on the low(er) handicapper, especially on the holes where he's not getting a shot. the last round of my club matchplay i was giving away 7 shots. fortunately for me the boy seemed to go to pieces every time he had a shot and i ended up winning most of them. you can never count on winning the holes you're giving shots on though, if you're giving a pile away then you're in good shape if you can halve most of them. lose most of them and you're most of the way to a beating.

give me an opponent off 4, 5 or 6 any day of the week. you can get the heid down and concentrate on your game, maybe even get a couple of shots along the way.

scots civil war

im at a real low ebb with the game at the moment and i need some help from any of you lot out there.was 9.5 and now up to 10.5 i reckon on this season alone !!!!!!

very very frustrating !!!!

i was at scotscraig yesterday,and it was typical of how its all unfolding

im driving the ball well,straight and between 230-260 yards av but when im on my approach shots with irons im not only missing the greens going left or right (not wild mind you) but im thinning the ball horribly and even topping/thinning going straight but about 1oo yds at best.....irony sucks bigtime and even tho i was having a nitemare on the par 4s,i parred all the 3s no problem.....anyway,im being as relaxed as i can be over the shot and ive cut out coming over the top of the ball in the last year but this thinning business is doing my nut in....also,my shots are very low trajectory as well

ive been working on producing a full shoulder turn as well and im running out of ideas to cure

any tips ???

(`aye,give up!!!`):stuart:

scots civil war

3 2hr practice ground sessions a week(6 irons,wedge),round of competitive on saturdays every week chief

i got stiff shafts on my ping irons this year and my handicaps going up

maybe thats got summat to do with it

3 2hr practice ground sessions a week(6 irons,wedge),round of competitive on saturdays every week chief

i got stiff shafts on my ping irons this year and my handicaps going up

maybe thats got summat to do with it

holy smoke. That's a lot of practice.. About 6 hours more a week than I do:10900:

I have had similar problems recently.. I started playing shorter clubs from the tee's, mostly my 3 iron and that is letting me hit full wedges or 9 / 8 irons at the greens rather than the flicks with the wedges that I was not controlling properly.

Also - it is a confidence thing. When I play it like that I feel really good as I place the ball in the fairway and I dictate the distance I have left to the green. I do hit more with a full wedge than a 3/4 one.

im at a real low ebb with the game at the moment and i need some help from any of you lot out there.was 9.5 and now up to 10.5 i reckon on this season alone !!!!!!

very very frustrating !!!!

i was at scotscraig yesterday,and it was typical of how its all unfolding

im driving the ball well,straight and between 230-260 yards av but when im on my approach shots with irons im not only missing the greens going left or right (not wild mind you) but im thinning the ball horribly and even topping/thinning going straight but about 1oo yds at best.....irony sucks bigtime and even tho i was having a nitemare on the par 4s,i parred all the 3s no problem.....anyway,im being as relaxed as i can be over the shot and ive cut out coming over the top of the ball in the last year but this thinning business is doing my nut in....also,my shots are very low trajectory as well

ive been working on producing a full shoulder turn as well and im running out of ideas to cure

any tips ???

(`aye,give up!!!`):stuart:

one of the best courses i've ever played is Scotscraig. absolutely loved it.

if you're thinning it and having other problems then start making things simple for yourself by playing within yourself.

get the ball back in your stance, get your hands forward, start playing knock down / three quarter shots. feel your way into playing whatever shot keeps you in the game. you will get a lot more satisfaction in working your way around the golf course in a decent score than you will from trying to play professional golfer shots.

120 yards? could play a wedge, why not play a nice punchy 9?

150 yards? could play a 7 iron. why not get the ball back in the stance and feel in a 6?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Playing Mouse Valley on Sunday in a pub golf outing. Anyone played it and if so whats it like? All I know is its directly next door to Carstairs State Hospital!!!!!

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Whats everyones hidden gems in terms of golf courses?

I'm an East Lothian golfer and dont play much in Edinburgh itself but must say I love playing Liberton. A beautiful wee course that plays well in the summer. Its not over hard, definatly a short course and is absolutly ideal for golf outings where there are mixed abilities. And they are offering immediate memberships for ?600. You could do a lot lot worse.

I'm an East Lothian golfer a

Where do you play?

Pants

Shook hands on the 12th. I have never lost like that before. Giving 12 shots to someone who should maybe have been getting 4 or 5 is not good fun at all. He pared all the Par 3s, birdied one and pared another 2 of his non stroke holes that we played.

I never had a chance. I had to get a birdie to half most of the time.

lol

The Mighty Thor
Shook hands on the 12th. I have never lost like that before. Giving 12 shots to someone who should maybe have been getting 4 or 5 is not good fun at all. He pared all the Par 3s, birdied one and pared another 2 of his non stroke holes that we played.

I never had a chance. I had to get a birdie to half most of the time.

lol

Nothing worse mate. I had the same last week, where regardless of what i did i was getting pumped after giving the boy 11 shots.

We had one of our biggest medals of the year (champ qualifier) yesterday and one of the new greenkeepers had cut 4 of the holes on slopes that rendered the holes un-playable and about 10 of the other 14 in places that were borderline impossible. Throw in the gusty wind and the fact that the course is fiery as feck and you can imagine the medal scores.

I scraped round in 83 (net 75) with a spectacular 4 stab on the par 3 16th green. Only saving grace was a CSS of 73 so buffer zone for me.

:stuart:

scots civil war

goswick links,berwick upon tweed is my fave at the mo.....quality championship links.....very reasonable prices

would love to play muirfield

Monktonhall in Musselburgh

I played there on Friday night in a team match.

Was humped then as well!

I P Knightley

I'm one of the guys about whom you might curse.

I don't do it on purpose - honest! I just don't play all that much and, occasionally, mange to have a decent round. I put in, on average, 5-6 comp cards a year. One, maybe 2, of those will lead to a cut, the others are all gruesome.

At the end of the day, I'm at the 'top' end of division 2 so in club matches am usually giving the shots. When I play the single figure boys, I can see why they might feel disgruntled about shots given but, at the end of the day, they (you) are better & much more consistent golfers so if you keep your consistency up, you're going to beat my inconsistency and occasional good hole 4 times out of 5.

I'm at a club with a pretty tight course and long par 3s so I find that my handicap travels pretty well and, if I'm out at a corporate day on a bigger course, unless I'm horribly hungover or distracted, I'd score over 36 points (once hit 45 on an event I was co-organising. Horribly embarrassing except for the point that I had a guest VIP on my team who was having a 'mare and my score kept our team result from being a diplomatic situation!)

I've always wondered about the system for giving shots in match play. If you're 7 & I'm 17, then we're both expected, by the card, to bogey SI1. However, when we're playing a match, you're suddenly expected to be one shot better than me at the same hole.

That probably evens itself out when I don't get a shot from you at SI17 but I always get it into my head when playing a match.

The Mighty Thor

I don't do it on purpose - honest! I just don't play all that much and, occasionally, mange to have a decent round. I put in, on average, 5-6 comp cards a year. One, maybe 2, of those will lead to a cut, the others are all gruesome.

At the end of the day, I'm at the 'top' end of division 2 so in club matches am usually giving the shots. When I play the single figure boys, I can see why they might feel disgruntled about shots given but, at the end of the day, they (you) are better & much more consistent golfers so if you keep your consistency up, you're going to beat my inconsistency and occasional good hole 4 times out of 5.

I'm at a club with a pretty tight course and long par 3s so I find that my handicap travels pretty well and, if I'm out at a corporate day on a bigger course, unless I'm horribly hungover or distracted, I'd score over 36 points (once hit 45 on an event I was co-organising. Horribly embarrassing except for the point that I had a guest VIP on my team who was having a 'mare and my score kept our team result from being a diplomatic situation!)

I've always wondered about the system for giving shots in match play. If you're 7 & I'm 17, then we're both expected, by the card, to bogey SI1. However, when we're playing a match, you're suddenly expected to be one shot better than me at the same hole.

That probably evens itself out when I don't get a shot from you at SI17 but I always get it into my head when playing a match.

Bloody Bandit! :th_o:

It's frustrating when you come up against guys that suffer from medal card-itis. They play away in matchplay like demons and then hand them a card and they 'fall to bits'.

I had a great match last night against a 6 handicapper and it went right to 18, which is much more like it as far as i'm concerned.

I P Knightley
Bloody Bandit! :th_o:

It's frustrating when you come up against guys that suffer from medal card-itis. They play away in matchplay like demons and then hand them a card and they 'fall to bits'.

I had a great match last night against a 6 handicapper and it went right to 18, which is much more like it as far as i'm concerned.

:biglaugh:

I wish I could do something about it. It's not so much medal-card-itis; it's more that I find it incredibly difficult to switch it on when I play so irregularly. I can be equally inconsistent in matchplay so don't tend to take much money off the oppo. When I do play well, it's often really well and only serves to frustrate me even more that I'm not playing regularly and getting my handicap down to about 10.

Take me to a more open course, though, and that's when I have to look a little sheepish. Thinking about going in for one of the inter-club away fixtures in the next couple of weeks (free to play on another course, can't be bad) and as long as my stiff back clears up, I'll probably do OK.

Carl Spackler

Help please.

Having lost my waterproof trousers I need some new ones.

What should I be looking for?

I'm not as bothered about cost as I am getting value for money. The main thing is the f'rs work and I'm hopefully not sweating my a$?e off in them. I see that Galvin Green's seem to cost about twice anything else. What makes them so special or are they just poser gear?

Sunderland always used to be the best stuff but I've no idea now.

Thanks in advance.

scots civil war

ive got a spare pair of sunderland dolphin bots in navy blue large,theyre in perfect nick

very very comfortable,soft lined legs,pm if interested

i got galvins and they are very good but ridiculously expensive.

im off to whack some nuts on the practice ground,duddingston open this weekend and ive borrowed some regular shafted titleist irons as i think the probs ive been encountering have summat to do with the stiff shafts i got earlier.praying that this thinning and low trajectory malarkey ends

mmmm its all sunny and stuff..

Playing in the Glen invitation tomorrow. Haven't played there in ages.. Really looking forward to it!

Just taken up Golf this year, I used to go for a hit now and again but I have finally coughed up the cash for membership of the Shetland Golf Course.

I have made a fair bit of progress so far but I still need a fair bit of work on my swing, grip etc. Any tips for a beginer as to how I can improve my game. I would be particularly interested in advice on the kind of things to practice to get the best results.

Midloth_Iain

Liberton for a bounce game tonight.

Bowling Club outing to Rutherford Castle Sunday . Long course, still needing some work done to it (nice greens to look at but very very slow). Great value tho'. :2thumbsup:

grumpy rebus

Played Burntisland in a fourball (but it was stroke play rather than matchplay- is this still called a fourball?) on Saturday morning (we had a net 2 under) and a bounce stableford on sunday morning (34 points), but the golf was not important.

What a great was to spend two stunning mornings.

Just building up to the longest day challenge now!!

Midloth_Iain

I'm an East Lothian golfer and dont play much in Edinburgh itself but must say I love playing Liberton. A beautiful wee course that plays well in the summer. Its not over hard, definatly a short course and is absolutly ideal for golf outings where there are mixed abilities. And they are offering immediate memberships for ?600. You could do a lot lot worse.

I am a member mate. You ever fancy a round, give us a shout. :2thumbsup:

grumpy rebus

Know what you mean with that mate. I'm off 24 and struggling to get near it on stroke-play, but I can easily go 8-8-7-4-4-3-5-6 or something similar and end up beating lower handicaps. When I don't win, I'm usually done by about the 13th or 14th.

It's all about consistency and I ain't got any. (Even with some of my better holes, it's more scrambled than good strikes!)

Playing an outing at Balwearie in a few weeks, then the longest day challenge on the 22nd, so should be interesting.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread