Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Just off Dumbarnie.

Wow!! Absolutely loved it. Not a punishing course by any means but you need to plot your way around it. Amazing course.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just off Dumbarnie.

Wow!! Absolutely loved it. Not a punishing course by any means but you need to plot your way around it. Amazing course.

It is immense. Generous fairways, some cleverly designed greens and different ways of playing a few holes. 

Did you go for the green on 11? I heard someone got a hole in one on the oar 4, 4th! 😳 Some hit to get to the green but impressive to thread it left to right and away from the hazards. 

hmfc_liam06
27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It is immense. Generous fairways, some cleverly designed greens and different ways of playing a few holes. 

Did you go for the green on 11? I heard someone got a hole in one on the oar 4, 4th! 😳 Some hit to get to the green but impressive to thread it left to right and away from the hazards. 

Yeah went for it on all the holes that are reachable, didn't make any though :lol:

The greens and run offs are brilliant. Few times I come up short and rolled back miles. Or went big and ended up very long. 

There really isn't a bad hole on the course, not even a weak hole. 

John mcCartney

That fecking 17th is a weird looking thing aint it ?
the green looks like the equivalant of a fecking fairytale castle or summat .
its addictive aint it lads.......🏌️‍♂️
iirc theyr like a Kingsbarns closed over the winter job ?
Nevertheless il get back there soon

heading Torrance on Sunday

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

I actually loved the 17th. Fortunately down wind but into a wind chances are you can't take that carry on. 

John mcCartney

noticed that its a breezy easterly this weekend ,that will benefit punters on a lot of holes.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I actually loved the 17th. Fortunately down wind but into a wind chances are you can't take that carry on. 

6 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

I've played an Iron up the corner twice and walked away with bogey twice. Ran off into the gully to the left once and then went back left just beyond the second time. Will just crack a 3 wood and go for it next time. 

On 18, I got fortunate last time. My drive leaked to the right but carried the bunker. Took a nice little trip on the down slope and looked to have gained another 50+ yards. 😊

John mcCartney
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've played an Iron up the corner twice and walked away with bogey twice. Ran off into the gully to the left once and then went back left just beyond the second time. Will just crack a 3 wood and go for it next time. 

On 18, I got fortunate last time. My drive leaked to the right but carried the bunker. Took a nice little trip on the down slope and looked to have gained another 50+ yards. 😊

big cutting driver job,just go for it  !!!!   control that open clubface tho of course as theres trouble all over the landing area

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

big cutting driver job,just go for it  !!!!   control that open clubface tho of course as theres trouble all over the landing area

If the wind is not in my face, I think a driver would be too much. 3 wood would be the likely play. 

Morning all, I won’t go into the details but suffice to say I embarrassed myself on the course last night. I had every poor shot going from slice to hook, thin to chunk and everything in between. I was quite tired and wasn’t feeling like it at all but it was truly woeful. I think part of it might be down to fitness so my question is do any of you have a fitness regime based around golf?

hmfc_liam06
8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Really liked the 18th. Wind in our faces I hit the drive of my life to leave an 8 iron to the green. Thinned the 8 iron though :lol:

I'm really struggling to name my favourite hole. Maybe the 10th. That's going to be a monster off the golds.

hmfc_liam06

Took the short route down the last par 5 (15th I think), forgetting how much run out you get on a links course...

Samuel Camazzola
26 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Took the short route down the last par 5 (15th I think), forgetting how much run out you get on a links course...

First time I played 15, I tried to aim over the wasteland and draw it back. Never quite had the legs on the route I took and had to play from the dusty stuff. Took the conventional route next time. 

35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Really liked the 18th. Wind in our faces I hit the drive of my life to leave an 8 iron to the green. Thinned the 8 iron though :lol:

I'm really struggling to name my favourite hole. Maybe the 10th. That's going to be a monster off the golds.

10 is quite unique for a links set up as I can't recall a water hazard that's not a burn or the sea. I'm sure 10 is the one which is misleading when you look at the planner. The bunkers up the right don't quite correlate. 

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

First time I played 15, I tried to aim over the wasteland and draw it back. Never quite had the legs on the route I took and had to play from the dusty stuff. Took the conventional route next time. 

10 is quite unique for a links set up as I can't recall a water hazard that's not a burn or the sea. I'm sure 10 is the one which is misleading when you look at the planner. The bunkers up the right don't quite correlate. 

I played 10 well despite the length. Drove to the pond then hybrid into the wind to the back left.

I thought the 1st was a great opening hole. Again, a bit of strategy in play as driver can be too much. 

Got a 0.2 cut in the 1st round of the championship quals.  76(41/35).   Very near to going tonto on the back half.   Could have been 32.   Very,  very pleased with the overall build of the score.    Missed a 1ft dolly which may well have altered the round for the better.    72 needed tomorrow but it's not impossible.

Samuel Camazzola

Can't go to bed now! 6-way tie at - 10 on the back 9 of the PGA with another few just behind! 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Change in leaderboard

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Carnoustie today 😬

An amazing course. Played it 13 years ago in June just before it closed for the Open. The first hole totally mucked my card right away as I was hacking out the long rough as the fairway meandered and took away as much hope as possible.

Was quite a feeling playing the 18th though. The view of the hotel, the approach shot, the burn, everything. So much history. Magical. And all that despite being 5 off the tee. ****ing links golf man.

30 minutes ago, kila said:

An amazing course. Played it 13 years ago in June just before it closed for the Open. The first hole totally mucked my card right away as I was hacking out the long rough as the fairway meandered and took away as much hope as possible.

Was quite a feeling playing the 18th though. The view of the hotel, the approach shot, the burn, everything. So much history. Magical. And all that despite being 5 off the tee. ****ing links golf man.

Just amazing mate. That last 5 holes, absolutely brutal!! And all but 17 into the wind.

18 though, what a buzz. I hit a fade into the wind, which ripped it even further right, landed about 2 inch from the burn. Hit a hybrid into the burn, penalty drop, wedge to about 15 feet and sunk the putt to applause from the crowd sat at the hotel :lol:

Scored 33 points, which I'm delighted with round there. It's such a tough course, brilliantly designed though, every sand trap just seems to be a magnet for your ball.

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just amazing mate. That last 5 holes, absolutely brutal!! And all but 17 into the wind.

18 though, what a buzz. I hit a fade into the wind, which ripped it even further right, landed about 2 inch from the burn. Hit a hybrid into the burn, penalty drop, wedge to about 15 feet and sunk the putt to applause from the crowd sat at the hotel :lol:

Scored 33 points, which I'm delighted with round there. It's such a tough course, brilliantly designed though, every sand trap just seems to be a magnet for your ball.

33 points and your first round at Carnoustie is good golf. Definitely one I want to play in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

33 points and your first round at Carnoustie is good golf. Definitely one I want to play in the future. 

I filled my bag full of balls and wanted to break 100..didn't lose a single ball and broke 90. Happy days :lol:

It's seriously good. It helps that it was probably my best performance of the year off the tee, despite 5 tee shots on the front 9 run out into bunkers. You're landing 40 yards short and they just run and run into them...you can't even get annoyed haha!

Disser Pointon

Trump Aberdeen on Saturday was magnificent, perfect conditions unlike the howling gale I played in the first time. Stunning course.

Autumn open at Gleneagles cancelled this morning but they're still letting us play for the same rate.......................tenner a head. 😁

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone elses home course pretty much submerged?

Course and clubhouse closed today. Essential work needed on the bridge crossing 10th tee. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Course and clubhouse closed today. Essential work needed on the bridge crossing 10th tee. 

Aye I'd imagine Balbirnie would have had it tight, 110mm of rain fell in Glenrothes.

We've got a few holes that are submerged, yet where it's dry it's absolutely bone dry!

Samuel Camazzola
37 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye I'd imagine Balbirnie would have had it tight, 110mm of rain fell in Glenrothes.

We've got a few holes that are submerged, yet where it's dry it's absolutely bone dry!

I've not been for a walk up but it'll be the usual spots that have collected the water although I expect there has been a bit of rapid drainage. 24c just now! 

The approach road by the hotel is flooded. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sean Batty has just been on the telly box. This looks like the worst hit area. 6 weeks' worth of rain in one night! 

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone elses home course pretty much submerged?

No issues at Prestonfield thankfully. Greens were fine and all but a few bunkers were dry. No puddles on the fairways either.

I guess a dry night and hot morning helped, but quite surprised.

10 minutes ago, kila said:

No issues at Prestonfield thankfully. Greens were fine and all but a few bunkers were dry. No puddles on the fairways either.

I guess a dry night and hot morning helped, but quite surprised.

We had torrential rain for pretty much 12 hours! Some holes will be shut for a few weeks I reckon.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We had torrential rain for pretty much 12 hours! Some holes will be shut for a few weeks I reckon.

Course hoping to be open tomorrow which is remarkable. A couple of temporary walkways have been created today following the damage to the bridge. There are some pics if you search the club's Facebook page. 

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Course hoping to be open tomorrow which is remarkable. A couple of temporary walkways have been created today following the damage to the bridge. There are some pics if you search the club's Facebook page. 

Nice one, we have 9 holes open. We were planning on starting drainage work on the area between the 10th and 14th later this month as it's susceptable to flooding...going along this morning to check on how much it's managed to drop.

Samuel Camazzola

What is the best site to review what opens are being played? Always found the Scottish Golf site a bit of a faff! 

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers! 

They're still listing opens that aren't running so best check with each golf club first.

Samuel Camazzola

They're still listing opens that aren't running so best check with each golf club first.

👍 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Get anything sorted for the weekend? 3 of us headed to the Linlithgow open tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Get anything sorted for the weekend? 3 of us headed to the Linlithgow open tomorrow.

56 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You played Linlithgow before?

A few years ago aye.

That 17th is some hole!

Nothing that some dynamite wouldn't sort:whistling:

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

That 17th is some hole!

Nothing that some dynamite wouldn't sort:whistling:

Haha aye the downhill par 3? Braw to go back though, a decent track from memory.

Haha aye the downhill par 3? Braw to go back though, a decent track from memory.

Some really good holes on the top, a few Micky Mouse going up and coming back down.

Overall decent , need to hit it straight though

Enjoy

Samuel Camazzola

I was just playing a club stableford today. I'll be having a look to see what's on in the coming weeks an months at random places. 

We are hosting a two men better ball open in two weeks. £15 a player. 

16 hours ago, StSow said:

Eyemouth open a week on Saturday 👍

I played there last Wednesday. Really good course and in great condition. The 6th is some hole

Got my first ever eagle on Saturday on the 18th at Duns after hitting my 3 wood from about 240 yards out to 5 foot! Still finished with a 91, after shooting +15 on the front 9 :lol: Golf is such a frustrating sport. I hit nearly every fairway but my approach play was erratic. Usually it is the other way round.

Does anyone have any course recommendations in the Edinburgh area for less than £40 a round? Slowly improving but want to play different courses. Couldn't justify paying much more than that just now in case I have a mare and hate it.

Looking at the £80 (west course), £100 (east Course) 4 ball offers at Dalmahoy but not heard much about it other than the east course being long.

Edited by neal-jambos