Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Not the biggest links golf fan in the world , but played Crail Balcomie (old course) at the weekend.

Have to say it's one of the best courses I've played . Had some glorious weather which helped, as did a fairly decent bar and good food at the 19th .

Highly recommended. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not the biggest links golf fan in the world , but played Crail Balcomie (old course) at the weekend.

Have to say it's one of the best courses I've played . Had some glorious weather which helped, as did a fairly decent bar and good food at the 19th .

Highly recommended. thumbsup.gif

Played it New Years Day last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Links is the dugs b. :whistling:

Played it New Years Day last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Links is the dugs b. whistling.gif

The problem with links golf for me is :-

1. Too many hidden hazards and blind shots

2. Too many lucky/unlucky bounces - which don't always even themseles out !! and....

3. It's always blowing a fecking gale.

Crail on a calm sunny day didn't seem to have an abundance of blind hazards (although don't get me started on blind par 3's) or undulating fairways and basically,seemed like one of the best links courses in Scotland ; and I include Kingsbarns in that respect.

2. Too many lucky/unlucky bounces - which don't always even themseles out !! and....

Crail on a calm sunny day didn't seem to have an abundance of blind hazards (although don't get me started on blind par 3's) or undulating fairways and basically,seemed like one of the best links courses in Scotland ; and I include Kingsbarns in that respect.

This post if Golfest!

I was brought up playing at Gullane and love Links golf, it takes me a little while to play inland or parkland courses but I find them so easy compared to Gullane. I play of 5 but when I go to Longniddry or the likes I find myself having Birdie chances more often than I am used to. Also this Backspin thing, I watch the golf on the Telly and balls are whizzing back at some rate.. i thought the pros were just a different species, but it turns out that all you need is a different type of Green to hit at. I love spinning the ball back yards if I need to .. Great fun.

All I am saying is that if you can play Links golf, you can play anywhere!

This post if Golfest!

I was brought up playing at Gullane and love Links golf, it takes me a little while to play inland or parkland courses but I find them so easy compared to Gullane. I play of 5 but when I go to Longniddry or the likes I find myself having Birdie chances more often than I am used to. Also this Backspin thing, I watch the golf on the Telly and balls are whizzing back at some rate.. i thought the pros were just a different species, but it turns out that all you need is a different type of Green to hit at. I love spinning the ball back yards if I need to .. Great fun.

All I am saying is that if you can play Links golf, you can play anywhere!

I know you're a decent player and I think the jist of what you're saying's right...a good links player is generally better than a good parkland player, or maybe more accurately a good allround player needs to be able to have links golf shots in their armoury.

That doesn't escape from the fact that links golf is for people who enjoy wind , rain and a -20oC wind chill factor, and can plane doors with their cheeks.

Utter tosh. Links golf is the best type of golf. Played both Royal Dornoch and Nairn last month. What golf is all about. Have to think about all your shots. :rolleyes:

Utter tosh. Links golf is the best type of golf. Played both Royal Dornoch and Nairn last month. What golf is all about. Have to think about all your shots. rolleyes.gif

Golf is all about playing well in pleasant surroundings with good company.

No-one doubts the stature of Dornoch or Nairn, however they're almost parallels for Scottish tourism in as much as nowhere can compare to the Scottish lansdscape on a sunny, calm day. Dornoch (or Prestwick, Machrihanish or feckin' Kilspindie * ) on a windy wet Scottish morning are no fun whatsoever.

Yes..inland courses get similar Scottish weather, but the remote peninsular nature of some of our best courses means the chances of a wind-free round are fewer.

Inland for me every time ..and I don't buy into the notion that links golf means you have to think about all your shots, the luck of the bounce often makes thinking a waste of time and for every quirkily clever links hole , there's a challenging parkland equivalent.

* no offence to Kilspindie. Ranting from a purely personal perspective.

Try Moray golf course in lossiemouth really good links course, well worth it, or if you fancy a wee golfin break enter the Moray open really good finnishing hole where the crowds gather to watch.

http://www.moraygolf.co.uk/ have a wee look http://www.hiddenlinksgolf.com/courses/course_s_v_Moray_Golf_Club_Old_New_Courses_Lossiemouth.html

Gerd Muller

I'm playing on sunday at Aberdour. Played twice already this year and been up to the driving range 3 times. Can't wait to get back to my weekly round!.

scots civil war

balcomie links is a quality course,they have a couple of opens to play at depending on your h/cap

august is the one i play on although i think il knock it on the head this year because of fuel costs.(ive opted for mortonhall on the same day)

im playing at leven links a week later...leven is something else,another superb links .....

started of 6,3,2 at the glen yest(comp) double,birdie,eagle

started of 6,3,2 at the glen yest(comp) double,birdie,eagle

I know how you feel.. I started, 6 5 4 3 ..On Number 1.. unfortunately I didn't get my 2 up the 5th.. another 6 instead. I Still got cut from 5.2 to 5.1... played the second half a lot better other than the triple bogey on the 10th, with 3 bunker shots from 2 different bunkers..

It helps when you have lots of Birdies!

played like a coo in my last game, played like a coo for the first few holes yesterday. was beginning to think i had lost the plot completely but thankfully came on to a good game.

now looking forward to the season for the first time.

Just dusting off the cobwebs in the last 2 weeks. Played my 3rd 18 yesterday.

Started my comeback with a nice eagle at the par 5 9th at my home course (Harburn), canned a wedge from 90 yards.

H'cap is 7.5 just now and hoping to get back to 7 once I sort out the short game, chipping and putting is far too inconsistent, but that's what happens when you don't play for 6 months eh..

Guess The Crowd

I'm heading down to Edinburgh to play Archerfield tomorrow. Heard good things about it, can anybody confirm?

Ray Winstone

Played the first round of the year at Hazelhead in Aberdeen on Thursday and playing again today (providing the snow and rain stay off).

Didn't play too badly last week - started off slicing my driver badly of the tee - but adjusted my stance slightly and sorted it out.

My touch around the greens was not perfect as expected and towards the end I definitely started to tighten up a bit.

Carded a 16 over par round which is not too bad at all.

Looking forward to the round today.

I'm heading down to Edinburgh to play Archerfield tomorrow. Heard good things about it, can anybody confirm?

which of the 2 courses?

The facilities are out of this world, They'll take your clubs off you at the start, get them to the tee side of the clubhouse, they will clean your golf shoes for you, there is a massage chair in the locker room, the building is amazing itself.

Courses are also very good.

Ray Winstone

which of the 2 courses?

The facilities are out of this world, They'll take your clubs off you at the start, get them to the tee side of the clubhouse, they will clean your golf shoes for you, there is a massage chair in the locker room, the building is amazing itself.

Archerfield is one of the best places to play golf in the country.

Just a great experience from start to finish.

Guess The Crowd

which of the 2 courses?

Direlton Course, mate. Thanks for the info - really looking forward to it now.

Played first medal yesterday and shot a world class 88 at Turnhouse. Up to 10.1 now, Havin real trouble off the tee (never been a strong point). Anyone else tee the ball quite high and makes it work? Or does anyone have tips cause you can't get away with much at Turnhouse!!

How did your day go~?

Ray Winstone

Got my second round of the season in today after Monday was rained off.

First round I carded a 16 over and today was 17 over.

I drove well but my putting desserted me - I must have been playing on instinct in the first round because I played so much better today but I counted 10 holes that I 3 putted on.

Not good enough.

I have an Oddessy 2 Ball putter at the moment and I have never putted well with it - thinking of investing in a Scotty Cameron. I reakon the Oddessy has too weighty a head and I am over compensating for it by under-hitting my puts.

Guess The Crowd

How did your day go~?

Great thanks. Brilliant venue, as you said.

A personal tale of woe, however! Our texas scramble team were going along fine, eagles at the two par 5's early on. Birdied the other par 5, no other birdies (it was pretty windy)but no bogies either, so sitting pretty at 5 under with 2 to play. Also, as the lowest handicap guy (4)in the group, I'd made sure that the others had each used all their 4 drives - all that remained was me to use my last one.....

....at the short 17th, I'd a spectacular shank.....no great problem, a teammate got a birdie 2 on his own. As long as I could hit the last fairway....struck it well, drifted right into bushes.....frantic search where we found about 10 other balls but not mine.....double bogey 6. Did we lose the competition by less than 2 strokes? Naturally.

After playing the game competitively for over 30 years, it's amazing how golf can always find a new way of humiliating you.

Despite that Dens Park moment though, I thoroughly enjoyed it, fantastic place to play golf.

Great thanks. Brilliant venue, as you said. I'd made sure that the others had each used all their 4 drives - all that remained was me to use my last one.....

....at the short 17th, I'd a spectacular shank.....no great problem, a teammate got a birdie 2 on his own. As long as I could hit the last fairway....struck it well, drifted right into bushes.....frantic search where we found about 10 other balls but not mine.....double bogey 6. Did we lose the competition by less than 2 strokes? Naturally.

4 drives.. Most Standard Texas comps its 3.. Who made those rules up?

first competition of the season yesterday. a miserable 84.

i'm struggling off the tee for distance these days. i currently use a taylor made R7 driver and need to try and find something with an extra 20 yards.

any suggestions will be met with much interest.

Disser Pointon

i'm struggling off the tee for distance these days. i currently use a taylor made R7 driver and need to try and find something with an extra 20 yards.

Play from the ladies tee. :whistling:

Edited by Don Pasquale

Play from the ladies tee. :whistling:

i'm banned from loitering around the ladies tees mate. i tried to explain that 'i just like playing' from there but they weren't having it.

this_is_my_story

i'm banned from loitering around the ladies tees mate. i tried to explain that 'i just like playing' from there but they weren't having it.

:laugh:

Having read a few of your posts in this thread vic, you're obviously no mug at the golf - so when you say you're "struggling off the tee for distance", what sort of length are you hitting with the R7? Will a different driver really give you that extra 20 yards or more that you're looking for? That said, I'm at the stage where I don't think 'advanced' equipment would make much of a difference to a golfer like myself. I dare say it possibly could make a difference to a more accomplished player though. I use what's probably a fairly crappy Donnay driver, and can hit it a good 240 or so when I hit it sweetly.

:laugh:

Having read a few of your posts in this thread vic, you're obviously no mug at the golf - so when you say you're "struggling off the tee for distance", what sort of length are you hitting with the R7? Will a different driver really give you that extra 20 yards or more that you're looking for? That said, I'm at the stage where I don't think 'advanced' equipment would make much of a difference to a golfer like myself. I dare say it possibly could make a difference to a more accomplished player though. I use what's probably a fairly crappy Donnay driver, and can hit it a good 240 or so when I hit it sweetly.

you've raised a very valid point about equipment there actually. there is a disproportionality between bargain clubs and the very high end stuff in that there can sometimes be no marked difference between a ?10 driver and a ?300 one. i think the very high end gear is better quality and can benefit players to some degree but the vast sums involved rarely provide true value for money.

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any particular drivers on the market just now that are 'proven' to be that extra 20 yards of distance as that would benefit me at the moment. once the better running conditions come in i tend to fare better because the main strength of my game is straight and consistent hitting rather than distance. at the moment i'm suffering from there being little run in the fairways.

you're probably spot on that there's no point changing driver when it's the limited plonker holding it that needs to find 20 yards in his swing.

you've raised a very valid point about equipment there actually. there is a disproportionality between bargain clubs and the very high end stuff in that there can sometimes be no marked difference between a ?10 driver and a ?300 one. i think the very high end gear is better quality and can benefit players to some degree but the vast sums involved rarely provide true value for money.

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any particular drivers on the market just now that are 'proven' to be that extra 20 yards of distance as that would benefit me at the moment. once the better running conditions come in i tend to fare better because the main strength of my game is straight and consistent hitting rather than distance. at the moment i'm suffering from there being little run in the fairways.

you're probably spot on that there's no point changing driver when it's the limited plonker holding it that needs to find 20 yards in his swing.

Personally I hit further with Callaway (thats irons and woods), i changed from R Series Taylor Mades to X Series Callaway and notice difference.

Anybody out there played the Carrick at Loch Lomond?? Im there for 2 rounds on the Wee Demon 9 hole course, lunch then the big round on the Carrick.

Not read all the posts on here but FYI Kingsbarns is amazing, better than Archerfield in my opinion, i played the Fidra Links at Archerfield, still amazing right enough.

Personally I hit further with Callaway (thats irons and woods), i changed from R Series Taylor Mades to X Series Callaway and notice difference.

Anybody out there played the Carrick at Loch Lomond?? Im there for 2 rounds on the Wee Demon 9 hole course, lunch then the big round on the Carrick.

Not read all the posts on here but FYI Kingsbarns is amazing, better than Archerfield in my opinion, i played the Fidra Links at Archerfield, still amazing right enough.

Played The Carrick a few months back. Tbh I'm struggling to remember any signature holes, but that's maybe because I had a howler and have blanked the round.

Thought it was ok and no better.

Got the overall impression it's overplayed, esp by corporate types. We were squeezed in between Murdo McLeod and some "mates of Coisty" dry.gif .

Fecking boggy on a rainy day too.

Having said all that, it's a cracking venue and the Clubhouse / Spa are excellent.

Agree with you re Kingsbarns . If you haven't tried it, I'd also recommend Balcomie at Crail. Equal setting and test to Kingsbarns, not as manicured, but cheaper. thumbsup.gif

Played The Carrick a few months back. Tbh I'm struggling to remember any signature holes, but that's maybe because I had a howler and have blanked the round.

Got the overall impression it's overplayed, esp by corporate types. We were squeezed in between Murdo McLeod and some "mates of Coisty" dry.gif .

Having said all that, it's a cracking venue and the Clubhouse / Spa are excellent.

Agree with you re Kingsbarns . If you haven't tried it, I'd also recommend Balcomie at Crail. Equal setting and test to Kingsbarns, not as manicured, but cheaper. thumbsup.gif

What about Carnoustie ??? Anybody got any advice on how to get a decent priced game there ???

this_is_my_story

See, that's the thing. Can a driver costing ?300 be thirty times better or more reliable than one costing a tenner?! Although I'd agree to an extent that the same principle applies to goods of any sort - you get what you pay for, and all that. I can't help thinking though, that a lot of these clubs advertised as being 'guaranteed to hugely lengthen your drives', and all that jazz, are just part of marketing razzmatazz.

Know what you're saying about the lack of run on the fairways now though, compared to what they'll be like in a couple of months or so - no doubt you'll have found more than that extra 20 yards by then, and you'll be crushing them 280 yards straight down the middle. :thumbsup:

Cyprus Jambo

Anyone blow their medal hopes over the last few holes?? Dropped 5 shots on the last 4 holes to finish 2 behind the winner (Still 2 under handicap though so back to 11).

PS - play at Haddington. Enjoy the course and it has changed over the last few years with the water ponds coming in to play.

The Mighty Thor

I'm the opposite. This season i've found an extra 20-30 yards on a lot of drives. Sadly it's generally an extra 20-30 yards left :angry:

I P Knightley

Nice wee montage here of the best of McIlroy's 62 on Sunday.

Quite a remarkable round of golf in the circumstances (having only just made the cut) and the 5-iron second shot on the 15th looks absolutely phenomenal.

Armageddon

Yes.

Hi, any chance of expanding or sending me a PM ???

Hope you can help me out, it was my best mates 30th and I promised to take him to a course of his choice, he done the same for me and I picked Kingsbarns, he's picked Carnoustie.

Cheers

Hi, any chance of expanding or sending me a PM ???

Hope you can help me out, it was my best mates 30th and I promised to take him to a course of his choice, he done the same for me and I picked Kingsbarns, he's picked Carnoustie.

Cheers

Apologies for glib reply..really should have given more info. altho' not sure this will help.

Faither-in-law and his mates played Carnoustie in March They got (in my eyes) an incredible deal, staying at the Carnoustie Hotel for ?45 p/night Dinner, B&B !!

In tandem, they got 3 rounds of golf, on Championship Burnside & Buddon courses. Don't know what the newer cosurse cost, but they played the Championship course for ?60 !!

What may not suit you, is to get this deal, they had to stay 3 nights and play all 3 courses . Think the best thing to do is (what they did) phone the course and strike up the best deal you can. It helped they played just off season. Will be tricky to do this in the summer, but good luck. thumbsup.gif

Armageddon

Apologies for glib reply..really should have given more info. altho' not sure this will help.

Faither-in-law and his mates played Carnoustie in March They got (in my eyes) an incredible deal, staying at the Carnoustie Hotel for ?45 p/night Dinner, B&B !!

In tandem, they got 3 rounds of golf, on Championship Burnside & Buddon courses. Don't know what the newer cosurse cost, but they played the Championship course for ?60 !!

What may not suit you, is to get this deal, they had to stay 3 nights and play all 3 courses . Think the best thing to do is (what they did) phone the course and strike up the best deal you can. It helped they played just off season. Will be tricky to do this in the summer, but good luck. thumbsup.gif

Cheers for that, I agree that is a sensational deal. Guy at work wonders if the ash cloud has hit the hotel trade through cancellations and we might get a better deal. Going to call them on Monday.

I will just have to stick with Charleton in Fife tomorrow instead !!

I've also got the R7 (which I really like) but need to change back to a regular shaft as I'm not generating as much clubhead speed as I get older.

One new driver which gets great write ups in all the golf mags new equipment reviews is the Cleveland DST Launcher. Apparently a lighter shaft than anything else on the market, and it supposedly gives a bit more distance, but haven't tried it myself. Think it's about 229 quid.

New Callaway driver gets a good review as well (can't remember the new model name though, sorry)

Good luck with the search.

• 2 weeks later...
Suspect Device

played the Carrick on Friday, greens were really, really, really, really slow!

enjoyed the course, it is very corporate and not overly difficult, shot 84(33 points), so was happy enough with that

clubhouse is great, but they ran out of Magners :down:

oh and did i mention the greens were slow? :whistling:

Broke the shaft on my R7 about 6 weeks ago, when I was in getting it replaced, the guy measured me up and suggested I add an extra inch onto the shaft of all my irons - I'm 6'2".

What an unbelievable difference, stance is more comfortable and I am consistently hitting my 7 iron about 165 - 170 yds, and more accurately!!!

Apparently standard clubs are designed for people 5'7" to 5'11" - anyone out of this range should consider getting their clubs lengthened or shortened.

Wan't that expensive either

• 2 weeks later...

Was beaten in the Club Championship last night, I was 3 over par after 14 and lost 5 and 4 (I'm off 5) and my opponent (Handicap of +0.4) was 2 under. It was also a bit windy and we were playing off the back tee's around Gullane No. 1. Needless to say, I was up against it!

Guys name is Ben McLeod, he is 23 and holds the course record at Royal Mussleburgh.. I played well and made about 3 or 4 mistakes but this guy is like a machine. Every single drive was exactly the same, long and straight with a little draw. I hit the ball further but every one of his drives were perfect. Made me question my lack of practice in general. I have a long way to go if I want to play at that level.

Well played to the lad, really nice guy as well.

Guest Ash Cloud

I played with an r5 up until last year and did reasonably ok with it nothing too wild steady but sure sort of club anyhoos picked up a burner cheap as chips went out played a round my god man what a club sticking the baw wherever i wanted too distance no object and i even changed from a 9 degree loft up to 10.5 you should give one a try man their the dugs bollox youd probably get one noo for under a senny ..

thanks for replies to my club post.

yes i have been looking at the likes of the cleveland drivers and a TM burner. the thing is i've also got a benross driver which goes further than the TM R7 i've got so i'm not convinced there is another one which would go significantly further.

the shaft is an issue worthy of further research i think. i think a stiff shafted driver has suited me up until now but it's entirely possible that the swing can change ever so slightly so that you need something else. i've got me eye on a second hand callaway (slightly older generation big betha - 9 degree - firm shaft). i had a big bertha before and i loved it until it committed suicide.

not long now until the swing shortens up below the shoulder and i'm on the senior shafted bats. :whistling:

Miller Jambo 60

Broke the shaft on my R7 about 6 weeks ago, when I was in getting it replaced, the guy measured me up and suggested I add an extra inch onto the shaft of all my irons - I'm 6'2".

What an unbelievable difference, stance is more comfortable and I am consistently hitting my 7 iron about 165 - 170 yds, and more accurately!!!

Apparently standard clubs are designed for people 5'7" to 5'11" - anyone out of this range should consider getting their clubs lengthened or shortened.

Wan't that expensive either

Thats why im of 16angry.gif

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread