Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Harry Potter
Just now, TheStig said:

Im going to try get to the range some time this week and give them a good try out. Im not good enough to be spending hundreds on the best of clubs so we'll see how it goes.

What range to you go to ?

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown
29 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Im going to try get to the range some time this week and give them a good try out. Im not good enough to be spending hundreds on the best of clubs so we'll see how it goes.

Take a photo on your mobile.

Click to choose files attachment, below left. Choose photo from your mobile.

Dying to see this, been googling, but getting nothing.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Ooft.   I'll only get £10 or so.     £80 would have been a hell of a pull.

Didn't know it was such a big pot at the time, kinda glad as it probably would have ruined my round :lol:

15/16 footer, was dead centre all the way and turned about 2 inches out. Gutted!

The Gorgie
37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Take a photo on your mobile.

Click to choose files attachment, below left. Choose photo from your mobile.

Dying to see this, been googling, but getting nothing.

Keeps popping up saying there is a problem uploading file. I try it from the laptop when im home from work.

Harry Potter
21 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Melville

Cheers, i sometimes go with my son to the braids golf range, i miss the one at Edinburgh airport, dont know

why that shut.

The Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Cheers, i sometimes go with my son to the braids golf range, i miss the one at Edinburgh airport, dont know

why that shut.

My papa uses the range at the braids, ive played the course but never used the range before. Melville is 5 mins from house so it's ideal.

William H. Bonney
26 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

why that shut.

Didn’t know it had closed. What was it called again? 

:clumshot:

CSS stayed at SSS.   Full cut of 0.6 to 7.3 and a 7 h/c again.   All this season's bleeding transfused.    

43 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Didn’t know it had closed. What was it called again? 

Port Royal

On 07/07/2019 at 12:46, Tommy Brown said:

Having a blether about the new handicap system the other. My mate reckons he would go up from 13 to 16. He is a solid 12, capable of the of the odd +9 round.

Had a look at mine. Thankfully my recent form (12.2) has got my average down, but would still be closer to 14 than 12.

My just, is this is going to increase a lot of handicaps, which will just make winning scores too low.

Maybe I'm not clued properly. I took average of best 8 of last 20.

Edit: didn't mean to quote Liam

Depends on what course you play. You will have a different handicapp based on the slope rating for each course. 

It's the slope rating divided by 113 multiplied by your exact handicapp.

For instance I play off 12 but would get 14 at the Torrance at the Fairmont.

H/c differential is:

Score - course rating × 113/course slope

Per what I've just seen.    Then take the average of the best 8 of the last 20?

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

H/c differential is:

Score - course rating × 113/course slope

Per what I've just seen.    Then take the average of the best 8 of the last 20?

If this correct,   my best 8 of 20 are 74, 74, 76, 76, 77, 77, 78, 78.

Score - course rating (69.1) x 113/slope (123).

Averages out at 6.57

:)

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, bebeto said:

Depends on what course you play. You will have a different handicapp based on the slope rating for each course. 

It's the slope rating divided by 113 multiplied by your exact handicapp.

For instance I play off 12 but would get 14 at the Torrance at the Fairmont.

any links to what your posting?

I have used my strokes over CSS whether it is home or away.

When at away opens as a visitor you get the often higher CSS

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

If this correct,   my best 8 of 20 are 74, 74, 76, 76, 77, 77, 78, 78.

Score - course rating (69.1) x 113/slope (123).

Averages out at 6.57

:)

How exactly are you able to see your last 20 scores? You just play at your home club and no away comps? I can only see my past 10 results on sgu website and I hardly played at my home course last year, possibly 3 comps. And I’ve only played 3 comps this season all away comps. 

Cheers . 

5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

How exactly are you able to see your last 20 scores? You just play at your home club and no away comps? I can only see my past 10 results on sgu website and I hardly played at my home course last year, possibly 3 comps. And I’ve only played 3 comps this season all away comps. 

Cheers . 

Our website has them from 2016 on our records.

Tommy Brown
37 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Cheers . 

I assume you use howdidihowdo

On the right the 3 horizontal bars.

Select Handicap

You get a graph

Below the graph all scores appear below. Default is 3 months, you can change to 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or All Time

Gives you all the data.

I am also a sad **** that has all my scores on an excel workbook since 2013

Edited by Tommy Brown

58 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I assume you use howdidihowdo

On the right the 3 horizontal bars.

Select Handicap

You get a graph

Below the graph all scores appear below. Default is 3 months, you can change to 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or All Time

Gives you all the data.

I am also a sad **** that has all my scores on an excel workbook since 2013

Yea I am on howdidido, but that’s my problem I only played a few home comps and it doesn’t show your away scores. 75% of my results are away comps I’d guess. 

Four home gross scores of 72/71/70 and 65 . Css average would be 68 for those say. 

Then sgu shows 9 other away comps 

gross 72 css 71

Gross 76 css 70

gross 71 css 74

gross 69 css 68

gross 77 css 72

Gross 75 css 69

gross 73 css 68

Gross 72 css 70

gross 70 css 68 

so ive got 13 that I know of, i need to try and remember my older away comps for a full 20 / best 8 scores then? 

Edited by Irufushi

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/general-news/2019/april/what-the-new-world-handicap-system-means-for-you/

https://www.randa.org/news/2018/02/world-handicap-system-features-announced

20 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Yea I am on howdidido, but that’s my problem I only played a few home comps and it doesn’t show your away scores. 75% of my results are away comps I’d guess. 

Four home gross scores of 72/71/70 and 65 . Css average would be 68 for those say. 

gross 72 css 71

Gross 76 css 70

gross 71 css 74

gross 69 css 68

gross 77 css 72

Gross 75 css 69

gross 73 css 68

Gross 72 css 70

gross 70 css 68 

so ive got 13 that I know of, i need to try and remember my older away comps for a full 20 / best 8 scores then? 

If you haven't played 20 qualifying comps it works something along the lines of

Best 3 from 5, then 5 from 12 then 8 from 20 or similar 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

There also wont be any CSS for comps  I'm not sure exactly how you get a reduction or increase, but I think it is calculated as an individual score you should shot that day depending on weather and course conditions so similar to css but each player will have a different 'css'

Tommy Brown
26 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

gross 72 css 71

Gross 76 css 70

gross 71 css 74

gross 69 css 68

gross 77 css 72

Gross 75 css 69

gross 73 css 68

Gross 72 css 70

gross 70 css 68 

It shows all my away scores.

Under my handicap graph

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, Irufushi said:

gross 72 css 71

Gross 76 css 70

gross 71 css 74

gross 69 css 68

gross 77 css 72

Gross 75 css 69

gross 73 css 68

Gross 72 css 70

gross 70 css 68 

Under my handicap graph

Screenshot_2019-07-09-05-03-46-795_com.android.chrome.png

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Under my handicap graph

Screenshot_2019-07-09-05-03-46-795_com.android.chrome.png

Cheers , Tommy, but when I get to the same page all I get is my home results.

So is this right then?   For handicap index.

Gross score - course rating x 113 / course slope.    Averaged best 8 of last 20.

Daily handicap (course handicap) determined by something else.   

I'm in information overload after trying to get a handle on it.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

So is this right then?   For handicap index.

Gross score - course rating x 113 / course slope.    Averaged best 8 of last 20.

Daily handicap (course handicap) determined by something else.   

I'm in information overload after trying to get a handle on it.

Getting to much for me :lol:

courses have an SSS. this can be less than par if deemed easier & more if deemed harder.

So what's this SLOPE palaver?

you play a competion, a CSS is calculated, determined by how well the course has been played.

Your handicap in turn is determined from this.

Again, So what's this SLOPE palaver?

Again, my course has a SSS, one stroke below par.in effect I have to play 11  (in my mind)

But I go away from home and end up with a visitors CSS, someimes +2 more. 

Does this mean the SSS are allwrong and in turn the SLOPES will correct this, or will they be wrong, too?

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

courses have an SSS. this can be less than par if deemed easier & more if deemed harder.

you play a competion, a CSS is calculated, determined by how well the course has been played.

Again, my course has a SSS, one stroke below par.in effect I have to play 11  (in my mind)

Does this mean the SSS are allwrong and in turn the SLOPES will correct this, or will they be wrong, too?

From what I gather...

The new 'course rating' will be very close to it's existing SSS.     The slope rating is determined by taking all existing data regarding the average difference between scratch (or very low) players score on the course and how 18 handicap (or so) score.     The bigger difference... the higher slope rating.    It's quite a clever and sophisticated way of rating courses for difficulty.

Videos on this first link 

https://www.randa.org/en/worldhandicapsystem

https://www.randa.org/news/2018/02/world-handicap-system-features-announced

World Handicap System features announced

Tuesday 20 February 2018

The way golfers around the world will calculate their handicaps is set to be transformed by a new system developed by The R&A and the USGA, with key features designed to provide all golfers with a consistent measure of playing ability.

The new World Handicap System, to be implemented in 2020, follows an extensive review of systems administered by six existing handicapping authorities: Golf Australia, the Council of National Golf Unions (CONGU) in Great Britain and Ireland, the European Golf Association (EGA), the South African Golf Association (SAGA), the Argentine Golf Association (AAG) and the USGA.

Features of the World Handicap System

The new system will feature the following:

• Flexibility in formats of play, allowing both competitive and recreational rounds to count for handicap purposes and ensuring a golfer’s handicap is more reflective of potential ability 
  • A recommendation that the number of scores needed to obtain a new handicap be 54 holes from any combination of 18-hole and 9-hole rounds, but with some discretion available for handicapping authorities or National Associations to set a different minimum within their own jurisdiction
  • A consistent handicap that is portable from course to course and country to country through worldwide use of the USGA Course and Slope Rating System, already successfully used in more than 80 countries 
  • An average-based calculation of a handicap, taken from the best eight out of the last 20 scores and factoring in memory of previous demonstrated ability for better responsiveness and control 
  • A calculation that considers the impact that abnormal course and weather conditions might have on a player’s performance each day   
  • Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation 
  • A limit of Net Double Bogey on the maximum hole score (for handicapping purposes only)  
  • A maximum handicap limit of 54.0, regardless of gender, to encourage more golfers to measure and track their performance to increase their enjoyment of the game 

Worldwide stakeholder engagement

Quantitative research was conducted in 15 countries around the world, through which 76 percent of the 52,000 respondents voiced their support for a World Handicap System, 22 percent were willing to consider its benefits, and only 2 percent were opposed. This was followed by a series of focus groups, in which more than 300 golf administrators and golfers from different regions around the world offered extensive feedback on the features of the proposed new system.

This feedback has helped shape the WHS, which has been developed by The R&A and the USGA with support from each handicapping authority as well as the Japan Golf Association and Golf Canada.

A modern and more accessible sport

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, said, “We are working with our partners and National Associations to make golf more modern, more accessible and more enjoyable as a sport and the new World Handicap System represents a huge opportunity in this regard.

“We want to make it more attractive to golfers to obtain a handicap and strip away some of the complexity and variation which can be off-putting for newcomers. Having a handicap, which is easier to understand and is truly portable around the world, can make golf much more enjoyable and is one of the unique selling points of our sport.”

Mike Davis, CEO of the USGA, commented, “For some time, we’ve heard golfers say ‘I’m not good enough to have a handicap,” or ‘I don’t play enough to have a handicap.’ We want to make the right decisions now to encourage a more welcoming and social game. We’re excited to be taking another important step – along with modernising Golf’s Rules – to provide a pathway into the sport, making golf easier to understand and more approachable and enjoyable for everyone to play.”

Objectives of golf’s World Handicap System

The tenets of the new system focus on three main objectives: to encourage as many golfers as possible to obtain and maintain a handicap; to enable golfers of differing abilities, genders and nationalities to transport their handicap to any course globally and compete on a fair and equitable basis; and to indicate with sufficient accuracy the score a golfer is reasonably capable of achieving on any course around the world, playing under normal conditions.

Given worldwide alignment towards a single system, all parties will now embark on a two-year transition period targeting implementation in 2020.  When adopted, the World Handicap System will be governed by The R&A and the USGA and administered locally by the six existing authorities and National Associations around the world, with safeguards included to ensure consistency as well as adaptability to differing golf cultures.

The six handicapping authorities represent approximately 15 million golfers in 80 countries who currently maintain a golf handicap.   

Collaboration

The announcement is the latest step in a multi-year collaboration between The R&A and the USGA, handicap authorities and national and regional golf associations around the world to introduce one set of Rules for handicapping, aimed to support modernising, growing and supporting accessibility of the sport.

As an extension of their support of the Rules of Golf worldwide, Rolex has made a commitment to support The R&A’s and the USGA’s efforts to implement a World Handicap System. The Swiss watchmaker’s contribution to excellence in golf is based on a rich heritage stretching back more than 50 years, forged through pivotal partnerships at every level of the game, from the sport’s leading professional and amateur competitions and organisations, to players at the pinnacle of their sport worldwide.

To provide feedback on the new World Handicap System or for more information, visit randa.org.

Doesn't really confirm the answer re the handicap index formula to transition into WHS and then revisions going forward.

Cheers.

7. Handicap Index

This will be the new term for ‘Handicap’ and it will be your mobile Handicap and the Handicap you use to enter all competitions.

All golfers will be provided with a HANDICAP INDEX (HI) when the WHS comes into operation. This handicap index (HI) will be calculated from the player’s best 8 differentials of his/her last 20 rounds multiplied by 96%, (Golf Australia use 93%) and will be shown to one decimal point. For the mathematicians amongst you, the official explanation for the percentage multiplier is, ‘the Multiplier is a mathematical balancing factor, the purpose of which is to help to achieve national results patterns for net competitions that are as equitable as possible. Its necessity is the result of the different standard deviations of net scores exhibited by players on different handicap levels’. Your ISV Handicap Software system will calculate the HI using the new slope and course rating for each course registered under each players profile.

The HI is calculated using the following formula:

(Equitable Gross Score – Course Rating) x 113/Course Slope. i.e. (84 – 72.3) X 113/142 = 9.3

8. Course Handicap

A player will be allocated a course handicap which is dependent on the golf course being played and tee markers s/he opts to play from. Each course will offer a different slope and course rating which will affect a player’s course handicap.

It is envisaged that Golf committees may elect a specific tee for both male and females to participate from during club competitions. Course handicaps will be obtained when players check-in, alternatively can be obtained a course handicap conversion chart that will be made available for golfers.

9. Course handicap is calculated using the following formula:

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x Slope Rating / 113 + (Course Rating – Par). (Please Note that the USGA do not add the (CR-Par) to their Course Handicap calculation)
i.e. 12.6(HI) x 144(Slope Rating) / 113 + (72.4 – 72) = 16.45. Course Handicap is 16

Whilst registering for golf, players may be asked to inform the check-in staff which course they have selected to play from. The staff member will then input this information into the system which will calculate each player’s course handicap. It is also envisaged that a course handicap conversion table will also be provided at the golf club to look-up the course handicaps.

There is confusion in the two bits I highlighted.     The formula I mentioned seems to be right but the highlighted text doesn't clear up whether a player's starting index is based on the more simple 96% calculation or if it is to be based on the formula + 96% calculation.

The other thing is the index.    It looks like a player will effectively have two handicaps because the index is adjusted by the course handicap formula.     If you rule out conditions adjustment,   most players will have a handicap index that is adjusted up to a playing handicap (effectively).

Examples.

I worked out my average best 8 of 20 differentials to be handicap 6.6 (rounded up).     There may be a further 96% factor which would make my index 6.3.

If the transitional index does not use the full formula and instead is average difference (score - css) x 96% then it would be an index of 7.0.

So index of 6.3 or 7.0.      Then when I go to play a round,    my course handicap (assuming conditions adjustments are left out at this stage) is index x slope(123)/113.

My playing handicap would be 6.9 or 7.6.

What we still need to establish is if the index into transition is the product of the full formula (score - course rating x 113/slope) x 96%..... or if the mentioned factor of 96% is applied to your scores - css.

I tend to think formula x 96%.

Edited by Victorian

11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well this is all very clear...

:Aye:

:lol: I’m the same I’ll just wait until I get my new handicap . A wee surprise!

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

:lol: I’m the same I’ll just wait until I get my new handicap . A wee surprise!

Even once it's in place, I'll just let the club get on with it and work out cuts etc.

It seems very simple in principle but I don't like it really.     As far as I can see,    even just playing your own course for competitions,   there will effectively be two handicaps.    You could argue that there is no handicap as we know it.

All these years of maintaining a handicap.    The personal victories of getting cut or getting in the buffer zone.    Gone forever.     A handicap identifies you as a golfer.    Even if it's just to yourself.     Now you'll have a less meaningful base handicap (handicap index) and a playing handicap number when you tip up for the monthly medal.

It's going to cause havoc in clubs when it comes to sectional based competitions.     Our club has a division 1 for most competions of handicaps up to 12.    Division 2 from 13 upwards.    The club championship is up to 9.    Division 2 from 10 upwards.    The new course handicap ( sensitive to conditions based adjustments ) is not going to be as linear.

Samuel Camazzola
On 09/07/2019 at 16:58, Tommy Brown said:

I recently played the Eden Course and they are all geared up for the changes. 

From whites, course is a par 70. SSS is 71 with a rating of 70.6. Slope is recorded as 125.

From yellows, par is also 70 but SSS is 69 with a rating of 68.9. Slope is lower at 121.

In comparison, the easier Strathtyrum is a par 69. SSS from whites is 66 with rating of 66.2 (ladies is 72.2 so assume their SSS from whites is 72). Slope is 107 for men and 120 for ladies. 

From yellow, SSS is 63 against a par 69. Rating is 63.4 with slope as 101.

Crunch some hypothetical round scores into the formula to see what you end up with to try and get your head around how it works. 👍 

My clubs new course opened on Saturday, more importantly the par of 70 has a sss of 72 apparently. Thank **** ! No more par 69 sss 68 ... which nearly always dropped to 67 in comps . 

50 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I recently played the Eden Course and they are all geared up for the changes. 

From whites, course is a par 70. SSS is 71 with a rating of 70.6. Slope is recorded as 125.

From yellows, par is also 70 but SSS is 69 with a rating of 68.9. Slope is lower at 121.

In comparison, the easier Strathtyrum is a par 69. SSS from whites is 66 with rating of 66.2 (ladies is 72.2 so assume their SSS from whites is 72). Slope is 107 for men and 120 for ladies. 

From yellow, SSS is 63 against a par 69. Rating is 63.4 with slope as 101.

Crunch some hypothetical round scores into the formula to see what you end up with to try and get your head around how it works. 👍 

Once we get handicaps (indexes),   the 'playing' handicap is:

(Index x slope/113) + any adjustment based on conditions.    

The new adjustment replaces the old variable css.    This obviously had no bearing on the handicap you deduct from your score but the new thing seems to very different.    I can only assume that players don't adjust their handicap and that the adjustment comes when the competition is finalised.

After your round,   the 'differential' is:

Gross score - course rating x 113/slope.   The net score does not seem to directly affect the handicap revision.    The latest differential replaces the oldest one in the list of your last 20.    Then the averaged best 8 of 20 is recalculated.

I think...

18 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My clubs new course opened on Saturday, more importantly the par of 70 has a sss of 72 apparently. Thank **** ! No more par 69 sss 68 ... which nearly always dropped to 67 in comps . 

It's going to be course rating and slope now.   SSS and CSS are redundant.   Most course ratings will be close to their existing SSS.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It's going to be course rating and slope now.   SSS and CSS are redundant.   Most course ratings will be close to their existing SSS.

As the ratings are a decimilised form of the SSS, do you think this could shift on an annual/ two-yearly basis and be determined on the average scores posted over a term? 

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Is that the King's Course? There was a feature on one of the golf sites at the weekend and the pictures looked impressive. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

As the ratings are a decimilised form of the SSS, do you think this could shift on an annual/ two-yearly basis and be determined on the average scores posted over a term? 

Not sure.    The slope ratings seem to be based on known data regarding the comparison between what is called 'par golfer' and 'bogey golfer' score on the course.    But the rating figure does not seem to be based on the same data.

Having looked at the bumf again,    it looks like the adjustment based on daily conditions is called 'course condition adjustment'.     This replaces the variable css.     It looks like this adjustment is applied to your gross score before the differential is calculated.     The adjusted gross score is called 'equitable gross score'.      Once the EGS is done,    then the formula is applied to get your handicap revision.

I was starting to hate this but now (hopefully) I'm getting on top of it,   It's looking better.     

If I've made a shops of it I'll give up.

19 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

To answer this again...

Existing SSS were already subject to scrutiny and revision.     I suppose it follows that course rating will be subject to the same.    Slope ratings will probably be more organic and will change very slowly as more and more score data is added.

The Mighty Thor

It won't be coming in for 2020. Apparently all is not In place, which should surprise no one.