Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Difference is, you care about your score for handicap & comps. I'm playing a social don't give a **** about knockabout. ?

I just take the rough with the smooth these days. Plenty of times I've rocked up, jumped out the car, straight to the tee, and proceeded to shoot a great front 9. If I have the time, I spend more time at the practice bunker & the putting green, than I do hitting 15 shots into a shitey moth-eaten green net.

Need to learn that rocked up bit, what doe's it entail exactly?

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Tee-time: 9am

Turn up: 8:30am

Warm-up: Place ball on tee, a few swings and away we go.

:spoton: 

15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Seeing as Ol Bluey has blown a fuse on the seethe thread, in relation to me "rocking up" at Golf earlier...I thought I'd share a wee story.

The guy's I play Golf with when we're able to are high-handicappers. When we rock up, we like to have a chat, & laugh, and a good day out. The essence of Golf, yeah?

Well, when they get a par or better I like to play the following music fairly loudly on the green. People like to see us dancing out way off the greens. Makes everyone feel good. 

Bluey, is the following frowned upon at your course, mate?

Enjoy though everyone. Maybe at a long overdue JKB outing, this can be the theme music!??

:lol:

William H. Bonney

I holed an eagle putt recently and I was sorely tempted to play chop suey by system of a down on the green. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Telling you, man, it's the way Golf should go. Too many serious arseholes on the course!

Just think what your mates & you could be playing! ??

Digressing slightly but I played archerfield a few years ago. A very exclusive course where you feel privileged to play. 

1st tee my mate opens a can of lager and lights up a spliff. 

Like you say, too many serious arseholes. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Yeah, I'd draw the line at chasing the dragon, or riding around with an IV drip filled with heroin on the golf cart though.??

Dunno, might get my through 18 holes. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Seeing as Ol Bluey has blown a fuse on the seethe thread, in relation to me "rocking up" at Golf earlier...I thought I'd share a wee story.

The guy's I play Golf with when we're able to are high-handicappers. When we rock up, we like to have a chat, & laugh, and a good day out. The essence of Golf, yeah?

Well, when they get a par or better I like to play the following music fairly loudly on the green. People like to see us dancing out way off the greens. Makes everyone feel good. 

Bluey, is the following frowned upon at your course, mate?

Enjoy though everyone. Maybe at a long overdue JKB outing, this can be the theme music!??

:groundhog:

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:42, Dino Velvet said:

Digressing slightly but I played archerfield a few years ago. A very exclusive course where you feel privileged to play. 

1st tee my mate opens a can of lager and lights up a spliff. 

Like you say, too many serious arseholes. 

How did your stoned, ethanol impaired pal perform on that specific day? (serious question)

13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

How did your stoned, ethanol impaired pal perform on that specific day? (serious question)

Could be the way forward. I was having a nightmare round recently and my mate handed me a spliff on the 10th tee. I proceeded to rip a drive right down the middle and came home in 10 shots less than I'd went out in. :lol: 

William H. Bonney
31 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

can't remember. 

41 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Could be the way forward. I was having a nightmare round recently and my mate handed me a spliff on the 10th tee. I proceeded to rip a drive right down the middle and came home in 10 shots less than I'd went out in. :lol: 

Back in 60 then...:whistling:

William H. Bonney
59 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Must've been good gear.

Only the best at archerfield. 

shlabalaba

Has anyone played West Linton lately ,  theres a bunker with a wooden face -  strange

Got a photo but can't get it up

26 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

Has anyone played West Linton lately ,  theres a bunker with a wooden face -  strange

My uncle is a member at west linton, not seen him in years. I played a few holes of it when I was a kid, remember it being very nice. Long par 3 to finish ,iirc? 

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Did he never come back or something...?

**** knows ? not seen him in years, possibly. 

Armageddon
4 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

Stupid bunker, only left handers can get the ball out!!  The new green keeper comes with some fanfare but the time's i’ve played there id say the course has gone down hill.  The jury is very well out.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, shlabalaba said:

The sleepers in the bunker face is more of a feature associated with links golf. I can't recall this from West Linton - is this a recent addition? 

It's been a few years since I played it but the 18th had an odd rule where you'd mark your ball and allow the group behind to play their tee shots to the par 3. I can understand this during any other part of the course but not on the final hole. 

A bit of more solid hitting tonight in a medal foursomes.    A sort of don't give a monkeys game.   Definitely a good variety of shots played much better than that recently.   Pleased but also concerned that the poorer recent form is borne out of some kind of ingrained anxiety,   which can happen.

Cure?    Meaningless golf.    Bounce games or solo games.    Not my bag but if it builds the confidence then it is my bag.     

William H. Bonney
9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

seemed to work for Robert garrigus. 

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A bit of more solid hitting tonight in a medal foursomes.    A sort of don't give a monkeys game.   Definitely a good variety of shots played much better than that recently.   Pleased but also concerned that the poorer recent form is borne out of some kind of ingrained anxiety,   which can happen.

Cure?    Meaningless golf.    Bounce games or solo games.    Not my bag but if it builds the confidence then it is my bag.     

I think I am the same - putting too much pressure on myself - all the time! 

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I think I am the same - putting too much pressure on myself - all the time! 

It's not just a low handicapper issue either - I know my game is there to get me to where I feel I should be (around 12-14) but mentally I keep letting myself down. Either by putting too much pressure on myself to get a cut or if I have a bad hole, I'm struggling to write it off.

Even a bad shot, my decision making after that bad shot needs to improve. Say I land in the trees off the tee, rather than knocking out and trying to hit the green in 3 I'm trying the impossible and trying to negotiate trees and get as close to the green in 2 as possible - and ending up with 8's on the card.

Letting go of a bad hole and moving on is easier when you have a decent score going and time left to make amends.    The much harder thing is ignoring a bad beginning to the round to stay relaxed.    Before you've begun to build a score,   there's always pressure not to make errors.     If you have a poor start you always feel as if you can't afford any more mistakes.   You can imagine everything being harder and become negative.     

Already scoring well and maybe having a double during the back 9 with holes to go should be very easy to let go.    You've done the donkey work and still have a good chance of a good score.     Using most of your handicap shots by the turn is bad enough,  but there's something worse about being well over after about 4-5-6 holes.     

I've never been a big hitting,  really low handicap player but I've been not bad for lots of years.    Single figure for about 30 years.     But throughout that time and still now,    I still count my running score against level 5s.     It's a useful way of showing yourself you're making progress.    Building up the score under 5s as you go along.     It's never unduly worried me if I'm only 2 or 3 under 5s at the turn because it's something.    Going over 5s or being level at the turn is the bottom position.    Equally,    the times I do go out in 36 or 37 or so,    there's no particular thought of having to repeat it coming back.    It's just continuing to build of the -8 or -9 to level 5s.

hmfc_liam06
46 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Pressure to get cut." Never felt that way even when I had my handicap. There's no pressure. It's a game at the end of the day, for folk at our levels. Not a career.

Admit to yourself you're not on Tour. Do the simple stuff, accept there will be lowlights & highlights, and your game will be better for it.

I know I can play to close to 10-12 if I put the time in, or concentrate more. Stopped letting that bother me a long time ago though. I'm maybe 4 or 5 silly shots a round currently, from scoring 82-83 each round.  As my up & downs are good( in fact, I couldn't tell you the last time I 3 putted from 30 feet or closer) I know what needs working on. I'll try it on the course when I get the chance once or twice a month...but, I'll enjoy the day more, than I will the perceived challenge in my head.

Reverse Psychology. It's a winner.??

You're correct of course. But I think most golfers are definitely pushing themselves to lose shots from their handicap.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

I've never been a big hitting,  really low handicap player but I've been not bad for lots of years.    Single figure for about 30 years.     But throughout that time and still now,    I still count my running score against level 5s.     It's a useful way of showing yourself you're making progress.    Building up the score under 5s as you go along.     It's never unduly worried me if I'm only 2 or 3 under 5s at the turn because it's something.    Going over 5s or being level at the turn is the bottom position.    Equally,    the times I do go out in 36 or 37 or so,    there's no particular thought of having to repeat it coming back.    It's just continuing to build of the -8 or -9 to level 5s.

Shift your mindset and play to level 4s. You'll know the holes that 5 is an OK score (excluding par 5s) and you'll hopefully see the scores lower. 

When I first started playing as a junior, 'Level 5s' is what I scored against but I moved this to 'Level 4s' with an aim to always have less than 32 putts. 

Around Liberton, I was playing to a single figure handicap and regularly scoring in the 60s gross (although I'd still have the random brain-fart hole to justify the level I was at). 

When I played your course, 3,3,5 was always a realistic target to get off to a strong start. In the junior open days, there was a guy from Prestonfield who went 1, 2, 3! ? 

45 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Shift your mindset and play to level 4s. You'll know the holes that 5 is an OK score (excluding par 5s) and you'll hopefully see the scores lower. 

When I first started playing as a junior, 'Level 5s' is what I scored against but I moved this to 'Level 4s' with an aim to always have less than 32 putts. 

Around Liberton, I was playing to a single figure handicap and regularly scoring in the 60s gross (although I'd still have the random brain-fart hole to justify the level I was at). 

When I played your course, 3,3,5 was always a realistic target to get off to a strong start. In the junior open days, there was a guy from Prestonfield who went 1, 2, 3! ? 

Tried but always revert to playing against 5s.     Like I said it's a way of convincing yourself you're making progress.    In no way does it make a 5 a score you settle for or accept though.    Obviously on par 5s or on the more difficult 4s but certainly not on the holes you need to get 3s and 4s at to build a score.     

I also have an alernative,  default 'par' score mapped out that I reference any ongoing round to.     Roughly based on the stroke index but not exactly.     Getting a par 4 at one of the harder par 4s is a shot picked up,   etc.     

Secondary club 'medal' off the front tees   78.   Much better front 9 of 38.    Severe punishment of a treble (7) from an approach that sprung off the back side of a bunker and into the long stuff.   3 pick ups after that but 2 chucked back.    Almost another pick up from 12 feet - virtually walking to collect it from the hole and it somehow squirms past.    Damn near chippied in for eagle at the 18th.     3 pick up shots on the front and 3 handed back.     Snakes and ladders round.

Samuel Camazzola
On 05/07/2019 at 17:12, Barack said:

Played 9 holes. Couldn't be arsed with the 2nd 9, as it's ******* melting down here. 

Even with my sexy tartan golf (tailored, Bluey ??) shorts on.

Lovely 25 yard chip in birdie though...

:sweeet:

What tune was played as you swaggered on to the green to collect your ball from the cup? 

Tommy Brown
On 22/06/2019 at 20:26, hmfc_liam06 said:

Having a blether about the new handicap system the other. My mate reckons he would go up from 13 to 16. He is a solid 12, capable of the of the odd +9 round.

Had a look at mine. Thankfully my recent form (12.2) has got my average down, but would still be closer to 14 than 12.

My just, is this is going to increase a lot of handicaps, which will just make winning scores too low.

Maybe I'm not clued properly. I took average of best 8 of last 20.

Edit: didn't mean to quote Liam

Edited by Tommy Brown

I looked at mine and I think I would go from being 4 to a 2 handicap. 

Did you take the CSS into account when you worked it out. Eh . My par is 71 with CSS 73

Tommy Brown
16 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I looked at mine and I think I would go from being 4 to a 2 handicap. 

Did you take the CSS into account when you worked it out. Eh . My par is 71 with CSS 73

Yeah,

I used the figures in howdidido,  my handicap.

It gives your score over CSS less any cuts at high score holes.

My 8 from memory was ,

11, 11, 13, 13, 14, 14, 14, 15

105/8 = 13.125

Edit: changed last figure

Edited by Tommy Brown

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Having a blether about the new handicap system the other. My mate reckons he would go up from 13 to 16. He is a solid 12, capable of the of the odd +9 round.

Had a look at mine. Thankfully my recent form (12.2) has got my average down, but would still be closer to 14 than 12.

My just, is this is going to increase a lot of handicaps, which will just make winning scores too low.

Maybe I'm not clued properly. I took average of best 8 of last 20.

Edit: didn't mean to quote Liam

I'd drop 2 shots at least I reckon. Which actually probably better reflects my ability.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd drop 2 shots at least I reckon. Which actually probably better reflects my ability.

not really looked into it but my mate reckons most people will get a lower handicap by around 2. Not sure if that’s the case or not. Hope so , could finally say I’m a scratch golfer ?

Edited by Irufushi

The Gorgie

Got a wee question for experienced golfers on here. Today i went for a round with my papa. He had a spare set of clubs lying about in his shed and asked me if i wanted to give them a try as i had told him previously i was wanting different irons. They are Burberry irons 3i - SW, no idea how old they are or when he got them from but i felt comfortable using them and felt i was hitting better than my current Ben Sayers m9 irons. Tried to search on google about them but very little came up other than ridiculous burberry golf bags.

Tried to upload a photo but not working for some reason.

Ding dong the witch is dead...

First cut in 2 years plus.     74 (66).    Including my first ever medal half of 33 in 38 years of golf.     No bogey after the 8th hole.       Game is not at optimal but very near.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Got a wee question for experienced golfers on here. Today i went for a round with my papa. He had a spare set of clubs lying about in his shed and asked me if i wanted to give them a try as i had told him previously i was wanting different irons. They are Burberry irons 3i - SW, no idea how old they are or when he got them from but i felt comfortable using them and felt i was hitting better than my current Ben Sayers m9 irons. Tried to search on google about them but very little came up other than ridiculous burberry golf bags.

Tried to upload a photo but not working for some reason.

Are they Burberry as in Thomas Burberry? Can't say I've ever seen these clubs. 

Do they look like pretty modern? 

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Barack said:

None. Was on my own, & the next people were two holes ahead of me.

:sob:

Shame. I think a spot of Welcome To The Jungle would have been fitting for the achievement. 

Shoite.   Looking at the scores I reckon the css is going to be -1.    0.4 cut instead of 0.6.     Means 7.5 instead of 7.3.     Cut's a cut but.

Lol.    Got a 2 and a sweep payout but it's been diluted by some guy off a high handicap who got 2 of them.    His card has no other birdies,  no pars and only 4 better than double bogey.     Wtf?

The Gorgie
26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are they Burberry as in Thomas Burberry? Can't say I've ever seen these clubs. 

Do they look like pretty modern? 

Yeah they have the logo of the knight on the horse. They don't look modern compared to the latest clubs on the market but they don't look ancient either. Im guessing seen as it has a 3 and 4 iron in the set they are a bit older as most sets now really only start from 5 upwards. It would be a lot easier if i could just upload a photo of them.

hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Lol.    Got a 2 and a sweep payout but it's been diluted by some guy off a high handicap who got 2 of them.    His card has no other birdies,  no pars and only 4 better than double bogey.     Wtf?

Lipped out for a 2 at Cowdenbeath yesterday, 2's pot was £320! Only 3 2's so would have been £80.

Spewing.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lipped out for a 2 at Cowdenbeath yesterday, 2's pot was £320! Only 3 2's so would have been £80.

Spewing.

Ooft.   I'll only get £10 or so.     £80 would have been a hell of a pull.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Yeah they have the logo of the knight on the horse. They don't look modern compared to the latest clubs on the market but they don't look ancient either. Im guessing seen as it has a 3 and 4 iron in the set they are a bit older as most sets now really only start from 5 upwards. It would be a lot easier if i could just upload a photo of them.

Possibly 90s or early 2000s? I think that's when rescue/hybrids began to get popular and sets dropped the longer irons. 

Sounds like an interesting set you've acquired. 

The Gorgie
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nice bag for your new clubsshopping.jpeg.3ab8216f7254259e1c6384dea9681b9d.jpeg

When you are meeting up with the young team for a 3pm kick off but have a tee off time booked for half 5 ?

The Gorgie
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Possibly 90s or early 2000s? I think that's when rescue/hybrids began to get popular and sets dropped the longer irons. 

Sounds like an interesting set you've acquired. 

Im going to try get to the range some time this week and give them a good try out. Im not good enough to be spending hundreds on the best of clubs so we'll see how it goes.