Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Struggled early on at Swanston, ended with a net 72, should be buffer as I took a disastrous 8 at the 2nd which will come down to a 7. Ended up slicing my first tee shot OOB and then had to take an unplayable from my 2nd tee shot :lol:

Put myself in some good positions but didn't take advantage. A much better back 9 though. Really enjoyed the course, greens were pretty quick. Definitely a course where I'd imagine you'll play better second time around.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Club champs Q1.

80.    Out of it unless a wipeout score.   Total bag of doubts, indecisions, mince and shite.    4 putted once and damn near twice.    Drove well.    4 wood good.    Bag of nerves with an iron.      Mostly putted well.     Lost all golf hardness.

34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

3 balls smashed out of greenside bunkers and clean out of bounds yesterday. 

:seething:

:lol:

2nd round club champs.   Utter mince.    Decent enough back 9 but the front 9 was worrying.     If it's the shape of things to come then things are mum & dad.      Hitting is good.    Scoring is messy.     Again... golf hardness is devoid.     

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Gives you hope for your fairway bunker shots. You sound like you're picking them clean.

Last week I took the head clean off my 7 iron in a fairway bunker. 

:vrface:

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Last week I took the head clean off my 7 iron in a fairway bunker. 

:vrface:

Think you're maybe best avoiding them in future?

49 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Think you're maybe best avoiding them in future?

This probably applies to golf courses in general.  :sob: 

hmfc_liam06

Royally pumped in the 4ball quarter finals last night. You don't have much of a chance when your 6hc playing partner plays more like a 24hc. 

:seething:

A higher than normal qualifying score meant I was 10 shots away in the end.   Not even close but the number of obvious shots to have saved from the scores heavily outweighs 10.     The majority of players seem to have struggled in at least one of the rounds.     Scoring was not easy but every player can point to shots they should have saved and the conditions are equal for everyone.     You have to be honest with yourself and realise that tough scoring conditions was not responsible for the badly hit irons you hit and the multiple times of pitching from 60 yards + 3 putting.

Edited by Victorian

Tommy Brown
26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A higher than normal qualifying score meant I was 10 shots away in the end.   Not even close but the number of obvious shots to have saved from the scores heavily outweighs 10.     The majority of players seem to have struggled in at least one of the rounds.     Scoring was not easy but every player can point to shots they should have saved and the conditions are equal for everyone.     You have to be honest with yourself and realise that tough scoring conditions was not responsible for the badly hit irons you hit and the multiple times of pitching from 60 yards + 3 putting.

same boat Vic, 83 & 82 would secure qualification (I said this on the first tee and was spot on)

90 & 84 scored, littered with duff shots and putts.

Seen guys with good 1st round scores, NR the 2nd. Idiots hitting the panic button.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:09, Armageddon said:

So an 11 year old boy off of 17 won the adult B Class Club Championship at Craigielaw - WTF?

Good...hope he horsed a couple of 13 handicappers in the process. Well done lad!

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

same boat Vic, 83 & 82 would secure qualification (I said this on the first tee and was spot on)

90 & 84 scored, littered with duff shots and putts.

Seen guys with good 1st round scores, NR the 2nd. Idiots hitting the panic button.

I've never seen out 1st division look so ragged.    One of the better players shot sub-70 1st round and then over 80 2nd round... and qualified.     A few others looked out of it after round 1 but sneaked in after pretty average 2nd round scores.   Very few were good for both rounds.    We have about 60 in the 1st division and I was about 30 something or other with my two crap scores.    Maybe just over 40th.   I reckon if I had been relatively neat and tidy I would have gone close (again) so I may have saved myself from disappointment via being shite instead,   with the irons anyway.

Edited by Victorian

2 hours ago, Barack said:

A little 9 hole jaunt today.

A double, triple,5 bogies, a par & a birdie. +8. 

The triple was on the last.?‍♂️ 

Surely that's +9?

Edited by Ray Gin

Medal on each of the next 3 weekends.    Really need a cut and 2 buffers or 2 small cuts to arrest the accelerating rate of .1s.     Also to post some decent scores ahead of the handicap system changeover.     Another 3 x .1s is not an option.    

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Singles tie tonight then off to Machrihanish for 3 days from Thursday ?

Two of those days will be used up on the camel trek getting there. ?

I've had vouchers to play it numerous times but not got around to organising anything. It looks class and gets good write ups. 

Are you playing the Dunes and the old course? 

20 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Singles tie tonight then off to Machrihanish for 3 days from Thursday ?

You'll get Wickermanned in them parts.   

After months of playing absolute sh***, with zero expectation of doing well, I managed to bag the club championship for the 2nd time at the weekend. Ridiculous game ?

New handicap system.    

Despite my horrific current stuff,   average best 8 of last 20 is favourable to current handicap.    But knocking out the oldest 6 would put me up as 3 of the 6 count in the best 8 of 20.     6 more shit-shows could be bad news to the handicap,    although I realise there are other variables.

1 minute ago, StSow said:

After months of playing absolute sh***, with zero expectation of doing well, I managed to bag the club championship for the 2nd time at the weekend. Ridiculous game ?

Well done.

hmfc_liam06

Yassss!! Smashed my PB tonight, just a pity it was a match play tie. 

I was +7 after 15, 5&3 win. Went on to finish the round and bagged a +10. 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Two of those days will be used up on the camel trek getting there. ?

I've had vouchers to play it numerous times but not got around to organising anything. It looks class and gets good write ups. 

Are you playing the Dunes and the old course? 

Driving over Thurs. Playing Dunes and Dunaverty Friday then Old Course open on Saturday and back at night.

5 hours ago, StSow said:

Boom ?  Well done!

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Driving over Thurs. Playing Dunes and Dunaverty Friday then Old Course open on Saturday and back at night.

Enjoy. You'll need a lie down after all of that. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Enjoy. You'll need a lie down after all of that. 

Club Championships 1st round at 8.40 on the Sunday :lol:

Tommy Brown

marched through to the QF of  our Foresomes last night, But we had a ruling doubt on the 4th that is worth sharing.

Playing partner duffed offf the tee into scrub, leaving me an unplayable shot.

I elected to go back to where previous shot was played from (ie the tee) and pegged up.

Over the years, I am constantly told either "I didn't know I could go back to the tee" or "your not allowed to peg the ball up".

Last night, I was doubted about teeing it back up. We lost the hole anyway, but I gave us a good chance of still getting a 4, so it could have caused a bit anymosity.

You will probably need to use this rule many times over the years, you can play it with confidence. 

14.6 Making Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made

This Rule applies whenever a player is required or allowed under the Rules to make the next stroke from where a previous stroke was made (that is, when taking stroke-and-distance relief, or playing again after a stroke that is cancelled or otherwise does not count).

• How the player must put a ball in play depends on the area of the course where that previous stroke was made.
  • In all of these situations, the player may use either the original ball or another ball.

a   Previous Stroke Made from Teeing Area

The original ball or another ball must be played from anywhere inside the teeing area (and may be teed) under Rule 6.2b.

15 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

marched through to the QF of  our Foresomes last night, But we had a ruling doubt on the 4th that is worth sharing.

Playing partner duffed offf the tee into scrub, leaving me an unplayable shot.

I elected to go back to where previous shot was played from (ie the tee) and pegged up.

Over the years, I am constantly told either "I didn't know I could go back to the tee" or "your not allowed to peg the ball up".

Last night, I was doubted about teeing it back up. We lost the hole anyway, but I gave us a good chance of still getting a 4, so it could have caused a bit anymosity.

You will probably need to use this rule many times over the years, you can play it with confidence. 

14.6 Making Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made

This Rule applies whenever a player is required or allowed under the Rules to make the next stroke from where a previous stroke was made (that is,

a   Previous Stroke Made from Teeing Area

The original ball or another ball must be played from anywhere inside the teeing area (and may be teed) under Rule 6.2b.

Dont know why there is doubt mate? You were totally correct.

Thats why its called "three off the tee" :rofl:

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Dont know why there is doubt mate? You were totally correct.

Thats why its called "three off the tee" :rofl:

Your misunderstanding their doubt.

Many people think you are not allowed to peg the ball.

As I said to them. If I had lost the ball, I would be 3 off the tee. But because I found my ball, I am not allowed to tee it up. That would be punishing me for finding my ball.

For years, I have had players totally oblivious that the this option was available.

Get the rules app on your phone     https://www.randa.org/Apps

There are quizzes and ways to help you learn the rules -  Really easy to search and learn by cross-referencing rules! 

You find your ball and it is unplayable - How many options do you have>?

1 - Play it as it lies

2 - Go back to where you played the last shot from (including teeing it up)

3 - 2 club length move no closer to the hole

4 - Go backwards keeping the place you found it in line with the flag and play from there -

5 - NR!  (always an option) or concede the hole in match play! 

Got an open comp at  Carlisle today, could be interesting. The last 4 rounds ive played, 2 have been sub 80 and 2 have been 90 plus

The Mighty Thor

Played a ladies cup tie round Gullane 1 this week.

It's in absolutely great condition. Stunning greens. 

Managed to turn up with some game to get another round for my 12 quid!

?

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Played a ladies cup tie round Gullane 1 this week.

It's in absolutely great condition. Stunning greens. 

Managed to turn up with some game to get another round for my 12 quid!

?

Good for you, never managed past the 2nd round but gladly excepted the free golf lessons in the process...I love the Ladies!

hmfc_liam06

Incredible 3 days down at Machrihanish. 

Played the Championship course open today. Was playing superb stuff front 9, got out in 19 points (should have been more, actually missed 3 easy birdie putts in a row on 5, 6 & 7) but the winds got up, 30mph into the face the entire back 9. Toiled big time, just couldn't deal with it at all and stumbled home with 30 points. My mate, off 6, hit driver, driver on a 430 yard par 4 and was about 30 yards short :lol:

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incredible 3 days down at Machrihanish

Played the Championship course open today. Was playing superb stuff front 9, got out in 19 points (should have been more, actually missed 3 easy birdie putts in a row on 5, 6 & 7) but the winds got up, 30mph into the face the entire back 9. Toiled big time, just couldn't deal with it at all and stumbled home with 30 points. My mate, off 6, hit driver, driver on a 430 yard par 4 and was about 30 yards short :lol:

Barely even a light breeze in Edinburgh today! Didn't help my score card. 92 thanks to terrible play with my mid-irons and some pretty woeful putting. I think I 3-putted six times. :vrface: 

The worst was after I played an extremely rare excellent bunker shot to leave myself a simple 3 footer for par, and somehow managed to 3-putt from there and walk off seething with a double bogey. 

On 18/06/2019 at 16:51, StSow said:

On 18/06/2019 at 20:32, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yassss!! Smashed my PB tonight, just a pity it was a match play tie. 

I was +7 after 15, 5&3 win. Went on to finish the round and bagged a +10. 

Nice one, well played chaps  ?

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Barely even a light breeze in Edinburgh today! Didn't help my score card. 92 thanks to terrible play with my mid-irons and some pretty woeful putting. I think I 3-putted six times. :vrface: 

The worst was after I played an extremely rare excellent bunker shot to leave myself a simple 3 footer for par, and somehow managed to 3-putt from there and walk off seething with a double bogey. 

Ouch! Nothing worse than a bad day on the greens. Was there myself today.

The wind wasn't so bad going out, probably around 20mph right to left which is ideal as I fade the ball. Was aiming slightly right of centre and landing perfect. But the back 9 was either into the face directly or into off the left, the slightest hint of fade or push and the ball was a goner. 

I should probably be reasonably happy hitting 30 points around a Championship course off the medal tees but it grates having such a good front 9 and blowing it.

hmfc_liam06
21 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Your misunderstanding their doubt.

Many people think you are not allowed to peg the ball.

As I said to them. If I had lost the ball, I would be 3 off the tee. But because I found my ball, I am not allowed to tee it up. That would be punishing me for finding my ball.

For years, I have had players totally oblivious that the this option was available.

Hi Tommy, you played Kilspindie yet?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I've been very busy with the club championship this month, a birdie on 18 kept me out the semi's.

I've a few dates in July that might be suitable for you and a couple of your friends if you still fancy it. If yes, I'll PM you with the dates I can make, pick one and I'll set it up.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Tommy Brown
28 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Hi Tommy, you played Kilspindie yet?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          I've been very busy with the club championship this month, a birdie on 18 kept me out the semi's.

I've a few dates in July that might be suitable for you and a couple of your friends if you still fancy it. If yes, I'll PM you with the dates I can make, pick one and I'll set it up.

:thumbsup:

Not played it yet. Sounds good.

Just ignore the following mats comments from the usual suspects

:Smi

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

:thumbsup:

Not played it yet. Sounds good.

Just ignore the following mats comments from the usual suspects

:Smi

Keeps them amused Tommy. What would you prefer, weekend, midweek, early, midday or evening?

Tommy Brown

1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Keeps them amused Tommy. What would you prefer, weekend, midweek, early, midday or evening?

Evening. July weekends are chocker. Heading up to Fraserburgh and Murcar on 27/28

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Evening. July weekends are chocker. Heading up to Fraserburgh and Murcar on 27/28

Ok, let me have a look at my shift rota and I'll send you a PM with couple of options, just pick one the ain't pishing rain.

17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You have a PM Tommy.

21 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

How did you enjoy Dunaverty?

Played it a number of years ago fun little holiday course and the greens were some of the best I have ever putted on.

Managed to shoot a scratch 59 holed just about every putt I stood over - ah those were the days!!

Another error strewn 80 (72).   Another 0.1.      Good chance of a putt to be +1 thru 7... missed... then +4 for the next 3.  Two further doubles followed later.   Almost rescued it with a birdie birdie finish but the birdie putt at 18 just short.

14 0.1s since last cut.   Only about 7-8 buffers amongst them.