Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

48 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's probably the only course that I haven't played that's fairly local to me. Might look and see when their open is.

I’ve been along and used the driving range a few times and the course always looks in great condition and never seen it busy.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, SectionG said:

I’ve been along and used the driving range a few times and the course always looks in great condition and never seen it busy.

Can't find anything on their opens, if you do head along today could you ask when they are? ?

On 17/03/2019 at 17:57, dicksojo said:

Just got fitted at American Golf. Felt a little bad as I would have liked to go to a “proper” fitter but nowhere had the stock I wanted to try. Used the swing dna thing and focussed on 3 shaft types, all stiff. Tried jpx 919 forged, i500 and p790. The trackman numbers definitely favoured the i500s but I was a little sceptical regarding this. However, the dispersion, feel and forgiveness from the i500 blew me away. I was kind of pleased as I really liked the look of the i500s anyway. Ordered them there and then with a small change to make them 1 degree upright. Shaft I ended up with was project x lz 6.0.

Fingers crossed they perform as well on the course!

Anyone lodged any complaints with American Golf? I ordered i500s 5 weeks ago! Got the full set a little over three weeks after I originally ordered them. Was told they would be with me 7-14 days. When I eventually got them the 5 iron had a big scratch along the back of it so I sent that back to AG. Was told it would be dealt with on an “urgent basis, that was two weeks ago and it’s still not with me! Going to lodge a complaint but I think the fault lies with Ping. Any advice would be appreciated.

40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Choke down a bit on the 4 iron...

Hahaha, problem solved!

I had my first medal of the season on Sunday, all that winter practice was done and dusted, the 1000's of balls at the range, the short game hours where I chipped 100's of balls over various lobs and bump and runs, I've stood over 100's of putts, the pre-season cherry on the top was a -2 scratch 68 in a bounce game last Thursday ... this Tiger was ready for anything.

I went up 0.1 :(          Golf you are a total ****

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I had my first medal of the season on Sunday, all that winter practice was done and dusted, the 1000's of balls at the range, the short game hours where I chipped 100's of balls over various lobs and bump and runs, I've stood over 100's of putts, the pre-season cherry on the top was a -2 scratch 68 in a bounce game last Thursday ... this Tiger was ready for anything.

I went up 0.1 :(          Golf you are a total ****

:pleasing:

one comp, 0.5 cut . Played 5 rounds since October ?

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

:pleasing:

one comp, 0.5 cut . Played 5 rounds since October ?

Haha well done!  You've made me more money than any Cryptocurrency!!  :)

Keep it up!

hmfc_liam06

Looking at buying a new putter.

Tried out the Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball, which is a departure from my Cleveland blade putter. Quite liked it.

Any recommendations on similar putters?

Or Armageddon...your mate flogging any cheap Scotty's :lol:

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Tried out the Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball, which is a departure from my Cleveland blade putter. Quite liked it.

I'm afraid not - £110 for a new Scotty will never be beaten, not sure why I never bought all 6 and flogged them :(

That https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/ at Bilston sometimes list TaylorMade spiders at a very decent price, my only advice would be to really make sure you get a putter that fits your stroke.

I tried this at the Scottish Golf Show Image result for scotty cameron phantom x 12 Absolutely disgusting looking Scotty Cameron Phantom x12, a stupid price too ... see when I tried it I could feel instantly it suited my stroke, felt amazing.

This might help - https://www.golftec.com/blog/2016/11/find-the-right-putter-style-for-your-stroke/

hmfc_liam06

My biggest problem is that I often pull my putts by putting in to much of an arc (on very short putts, tend to be fine on the longer ones). I tried re-gripping to a Superstroke Mid 2.0 but it's not any better really. I probably more need a lesson than a new putter :lol:

I found the mallet head of the Odyssey gave me that bit of weight to the head to prevent the roll.

Cheers for the link though, I'll check it out.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My biggest problem is that I often pull my putts by putting in to much of an arc (on very short putts, tend to be fine on the longer ones). I tried re-gripping to a Superstroke Mid 2.0 but it's not any better really. I probably more need a lesson than a new putter :lol:

I found the mallet head of the Odyssey gave me that bit of weight to the head to prevent the roll.

Cheers for the link though, I'll check it out.

How about changing your grip to left below right?

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

How about changing your grip to left below right?

I'd tried it now and again, mostly when pissing about. Might give it a proper go though.

Still want a new putter, got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd tried it now and again, mostly when pissing about. Might give it a proper go though.

Still want a new putter, got birthday money burning a hole in my pocket :lol:

Give it a go.

I had a major issue with pulling putts on pressure situations,changed to left below and after a few teething problems (mainly with distance on really long putts) , I settled in to a good solid performance for a couple of seasons.

Have now changed back and no issues with pulling(expect Jonno along in a minute:mw_rolleyes:)

Now know I can change back if it re-emerges.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

This. Best putter I’ve ever had, have so much confidence with it . 

44977C74-C329-476E-953F-EFB746B09B12.jpeg

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

TM Tour Spider?

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Have a look at the Ping Sigma range. They are on the second series of putters now but both are available. 

I have the Tyne, Wolverine and Doon models but had the Doon in the bag for a couple of years now. 

The second series has a Fetch model which may appeal to you as it has an adjustable shaft feature. 

hmfc_liam06

Cheers for the recommendations folks. Will likely head to AG at some point over the next few weeks and try a few of these out.

I'm quite tall with long legs as well so I reckon getting fitted may help as well.

55 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

TM Tour Spider?

Yea mate , great putter, feels so smooth back and through the ball. Give it a try. 

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Yea mate , great putter, feels so smooth back and through the ball. Give it a try. 

Will do :thumbsup:

Will do :thumbsup:

AND please do the sensible thing and hit hunners of putts before you buy AND after!!  This could transform your season :)

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

44977C74-C329-476E-953F-EFB746B09B12.jpeg

You find that in a coo field? I'm seeing branding iron & the arse of Thunderbird 2. How much did you pay for that monster Virgil?

10 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You find that in a coo field? I'm seeing branding iron & the arse of Thunderbird 2. How much did you pay for that monster Virgil?

Think they were 240 at the time of release. 

Mostly the reason from getting cut 2 shots last 2 years. Putting has improved so much with it. 

Edited by Irufushi

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

AND please do the sensible thing and hit hunners of putts before you buy AND after!!  This could transform your season :)

Nah it won't the driver, irons or wedges will go after the putting improves :lol:

The Mighty Thor
19 hours ago, merrymac said:

Give it a go.

I had a major issue with pulling putts on pressure situations,changed to left below and after a few teething problems (mainly with distance on really long putts) , I settled in to a good solid performance for a couple of seasons.

Have now changed back and no issues with pulling(expect Jonno along in a minute:mw_rolleyes:)

Now know I can change back if it re-emerges.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Try the odyssey stroke lab tuttle.

It's a mallet head and rolls the ball a dream.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Try the odyssey stroke lab tuttle.

It's a mallet head and rolls the ball a dream.

Cheers mate

If any problems re-surface might give it a try.

Disser Pointon

Go for a SAM Putt lab putter fitting, well worth the money when you consider how many strokes you can save with the correct putter to fit your stroke. 

Went for a short hit.    First since about October.    Didn't fall over,   break any windows or kill anyone.     Good start.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Went for a short hit.    First since about October.    Didn't fall over,   break any windows or kill anyone.     Good start.

And no fairway mats to be seen? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Nah it was 7 irons in the nets off a mat.   Most were hit nicely with a swing speed of less than mach-1.     Quite pleased.     The next hit will resemble a chimps tea party.    

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

**ck me..the OP couldn't have opted for a more appropriate thread title.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

**ck me..the OP couldn't have opted for a more appropriate thread title.

??

Gullane 3 yesterday. The weather was spectacular and the course even better, I love that course, not too long and a great layout.

35428815-F2B1-443E-B281-3FA2A4C20B8D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Gullane 3 yesterday. The weather was spectacular and the course even better, I love that course, not too long and a great layout.

35428815-F2B1-443E-B281-3FA2A4C20B8D.jpeg

It's deceptive.    Front nine quite short and easier.    Back nine is quite a bit trickier.    Lovely course to play early in the season.

Greens are always great on Number 3 - They will be fast and true after only a few days of warm weather... I love that course and where I learned to play! 

46 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

A wee cut last night from 7.3 to 6.7, 2 years ago today I was 11.0 #chuffed

Well done ? 

Tommy Brown

First time ever round Duddingston in the Seniors open yesterday.

Played guff.

In for the Open on the 25th May, but going to the final instead.

Good condition course, the work the stream well into the layout.

Try again next year.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

First time ever round Duddingston in the Seniors open yesterday.

Played guff.

In for the Open on the 25th May, but going to the final instead.

Good condition course, the work the stream well into the layout.

Try again next year.

My first hole in one came at Duddingston - par 3 6th. It was a junior team match against Gordon Ross who went on to play for the Scottish Rugby Union team. 

Decent course and nice layout. Good finishing hole. 

Armageddon
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

My first hole in one came at Duddingston - par 3 6th. It was a junior team match against Gordon Ross who went on to play for the Scottish Rugby Union team. 

Decent course and nice layout. Good finishing hole. 

Haha mine came at Duddinston too!  On the 10th in their Junior open :)

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Haha mine came at Duddinston too!  On the 10th in their Junior open :)

?

I’ve not played it for about five years. I know the club house has been refurbished and there was talk of altering a few of the holes but not sure if that idea has been left behind. 

Victorian

Comp yesterday.  First game since October.    Started with three pars and a fourth would have followed but for a 3 yak.    5 x 3-putts in total spoiled what could have been a score but 80 is not bad considering.    

Victorian

Anyone used the new putting with the stick in rule in a medal yet?     I left it in for a couple of distance putts but nothing close or mid range.      I missed a few shortish ones by being a bit tentative and dragged them left.      I wish I had experimented with the flag in in hindsight,    but the 'trying to score' head was on.     It would kill me to see a putt deflected away by the pin.    

hmfc_liam06

First round today in a few weeks due to being away on holiday, mega slice on the driver but put it down to rust.

Putting is still awful, confidence is shot to bits, must have 3 putted 8 times today.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Anyone used the new putting with the stick in rule in a medal yet?     I left it in for a couple of distance putts but nothing close or mid range.      I missed a few shortish ones by being a bit tentative and dragged them left.      I wish I had experimented with the flag in in hindsight,    but the 'trying to score' head was on.     It would kill me to see a putt deflected away by the pin.    

In two comps I’ve played (horror show on Sunday) I’ve generally left the pin in unless someone before me has taken it out . Anything inside 5ft I’ll take out though. 

Edited by Irufushi

Victorian
3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

In two comps I’ve played (horror show on Sunday) I’ve generally left the pin in unless someone before me has taken in out . Anything inside 5ft I’ll take out though. 

It's just so alien.    And potentially a lottery.      I can see a benefit with a very fast putt that you might like to use the pin as an insurance with.      But the potential is there for a pin to prevent a putt dropping.      Even if the pin is lying really nicely in the hole,    it might prevent a drop if it lipped very slowly around to the back.

I think I'll feel safer not using the pin aside from the odd distance putt.    Big breaker or fast downhill.    

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

It's just so alien.    And potentially a lottery.      I can see a benefit with a very fast putt that you might like to use the pin as an insurance with.      But the potential is there for a pin to prevent a putt dropping.      Even if the pin is lying really nicely in the hole,    it might prevent a drop if it lipped very slowly around to the back.

I think I'll feel safer not using the pin aside from the odd distance putt.    Big breaker or fast downhill.    

I'm doing downhill and long putts pin in

Uphill and short (under 4-5 feet) pin out.

Seems to be working well at the moment (probably wont last though)

Generally been leaving the pin in for anything over 10ft. Although won't go to the hassle of asking for it to be put back in if it's already out. 

I like leaving it in for shorter slippery downhillers and it was left in the majority of the time on the lightning fast greens in turkey the other week. 

A positive change in the rules IMO now that most are getting used to it

Victorian
56 minutes ago, StSow said:

Generally been leaving the pin in for anything over 10ft. Although won't go to the hassle of asking for it to be put back in if it's already out. 

I like leaving it in for shorter slippery downhillers and it was left in the majority of the time on the lightning fast greens in turkey the other week. 

A positive change in the rules IMO now that most are getting used to it

It's different.      It's actually highly unusual for a rule of golf to provide a choice of how the player goes about performing a shot.     Certainly in such fundamental terms.     The natural way is that all the rules assist every player to play a shot under the same conditions.     It's alien for players to choose the conditions.     But the choice is there for players to make so it's entirely fair.   

Victorian

In saying that,     the choice has always been there to leave or remove the pin for a greenside chip shot.     I suppose there is no difference.