Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Everybody loves Baz

Let's get this sorted Kickback, been looking forward to this getting up and running again. :toilet:

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Canada

Can anyone provide some advice for this problem, I'm more or less a beginner and struggle to get loft on my shots with all clubs. I alter the position of the ball in my stance depending on what club I'm using i.e. driver - in line with my left foot and more towards the middle with a wedge but it seems like something else is the problem. Any ideas? I can hit the ball straight no problem but my distance is suffering because the ball usually takes on a low trajectory. Cheers

The fact there's water beside it worries me greatly!

I should stock up on balls methinks

If it is the King James course you are playing mate I really enjoyed it.......got my one and only hole in one at the 16th or 17th there..!!

If it is the other course in Perth (name escapes me) take your hiking boots.....mountain goats get vertigo on some of the holes there..!!

Oh...and I am also on holiday next Wednesday if you feel like inviting me..!!:shifty:

If it is the King James course you are playing mate I really enjoyed it.......got my one and only hole in one at the 16th or 17th there..!!

If it is the other course in Perth (name escapes me) take your hiking boots.....mountain goats get vertigo on some of the holes there..!!

Oh...and I am also on holiday next Wednesday if you feel like inviting me..!!:shifty:

Craigie Hill, or Crazy Hill as it's known round here.

It's worth the trip up the A9 to Pitlochry, great course.

Victorian
Can anyone provide some advice for this problem, I'm more or less a beginner and struggle to get loft on my shots with all clubs. I alter the position of the ball in my stance depending on what club I'm using i.e. driver - in line with my left foot and more towards the middle with a wedge but it seems like something else is the problem. Any ideas? I can hit the ball straight no problem but my distance is suffering because the ball usually takes on a low trajectory. Cheers

this seems like a tricky one to me. i've seen a few players over the years that hit the ball very low, even with short irons. i don't know if a ley person could give you a definite answer to that but a good teaching professional will know if you go for a lesson.

my guess would be that you're hitting the ball with a strong left hand grip and a sharp, quick swing. this might cause you to be involuntarily punching the club through the ball with your hands well ahead of the club head, thus delofting the club you're playing.

this is a pure punt but try gripping the club a bit lighter and getting a more even balance between the hands. try also to get a 'wrist break' during the backswing to encourage you to introduce some timing into your shots because i suspect you may be giving it a right belt using brute force. basically you need to be letting the loft of the club lift the ball rather than the club squeezing the ball down and through the turf. get the ball forwards in your stance for all your clubs.

total guess mate but i hope it helps.

larbertjambo
Anybody ever been to South Carolina for golf? We normally go a golf trip every year but we've missed this year due to a few of the boys getting married and stuff so we're thinking about pushing the boat out next year and going over there.

Done Portugal, Costa Del Sol, Florida and considered Belek but i've only heard good things about SC. Really want to go there, any KB'ers been?

stayed in myrtle beach many years ago think there was around 80 courses within 60 miles,now 100 or so.

http://www.mbn.com/courses/

didnt play golf at the time sadly.only took it up last year. seem to remember that myrtle beach is much cheaper (and a wee bit cooler) in september. i know some lads who were over there when the pound was veery strong against the dollar. lucky sods! came home with heaps of new gear.

Captain Canada
this seems like a tricky one to me. i've seen a few players over the years that hit the ball very low, even with short irons. i don't know if a ley person could give you a definite answer to that but a good teaching professional will know if you go for a lesson.

my guess would be that you're hitting the ball with a strong left hand grip and a sharp, quick swing. this might cause you to be involuntarily punching the club through the ball with your hands well ahead of the club head, thus delofting the club you're playing.

this is a pure punt but try gripping the club a bit lighter and getting a more even balance between the hands. try also to get a 'wrist break' during the backswing to encourage you to introduce some timing into your shots because i suspect you may be giving it a right belt using brute force. basically you need to be letting the loft of the club lift the ball rather than the club squeezing the ball down and through the turf. get the ball forwards in your stance for all your clubs.

total guess mate but i hope it helps.

Thanks very much for the advice, I will certainly try what you've suggested next time I'm out. I think I do grip the club too tightly and am guilty of trying to hit the ball too hard at times.

I plan to arrange a lesson with a pro very soon as I'm keen to improve ASAP so I'm confident enough to play a real course.

Can anyone recommend a good pro in East Lothian?

Cheers again Victorian, I appreciate your help.

Pistol1874

Even the enthusiastic, but crap, amateur like me recognises how good a course that is.

My mates and I go somewhere every year usually over two days and we had a 54 hole, 2 day trip up there.The weather was awesome and I would say it's the best trip we've had to date.

My golf, however, was depressingly consistent.

Even the enthusiastic, but crap, amateur like me recognises how good a course that is.

My mates and I go somewhere every year usually over two days and we had a 54 hole, 2 day trip up there.The weather was awesome and I would say it's the best trip we've had to date.

My golf, however, was depressingly consistent.

It's a lovely course, some great views too.

There was a visitor who asked the Pro at the time (Old George, now retired) if the greens were fast. George looks out of the window at the 18th green and replies "well that ane hasnae moved aw nicht" :39:

I've played up there a few times too and always really enjoyed it. Really nice course.

Another one I always enjoy a trip to is Alyth. Always seem to play well there for some reason.

flecktimus
we'll see. i doubt the waterproofs will stay idle for long.

isle of wight? never heard anything about the gaff re golf courses. any good?

Been going for 10 years now.We play 3 different courses,Sandown & Shankland,Freshwater (on top of a cliff and windy)and Osbourne House(Nice 9 hole parkland course).

Sandown is a nice lovely parkland course although the greens tend to be on the hairy side.We always play in there AM AM which is very well organised and you meet some interesting people.

Eg the first year we played in the AM AM me and my mate where drawn to play with two locals,we had a really good game and had plenty banter.When we where all back in the club house (i was sitting with my 7 mates) one of the guys i had been playing with bought me a pint and as i am a polite person i thanked and said cheers Mike.When the guy went away all my mates burst out laughing,i had only been calling Marc King of Level 42 fame Mick all the way round the course:toilet:

rossi_1983

Tried doing the "grip lower down the shaft" and it worked a treat! No fluffed chips all round...Just a shame the rest of my game fell apart :50: It was summed up quite nicely on the last. A par 5 (a fairly short one as par 5s go!), on the green in 2, only to 4 putt :eek: Granted, the first was at least a 30 footer, but still can't believe I 4 putted. I totally bottled it after my birdie putt lipped out then gained pace and ran on about 4 foot. A par would have been enough for me to half the match with my mate, so I ended up having to buy the first 2 rounds :doh:

jack D and coke
Tried doing the "grip lower down the shaft" and it worked a treat! No fluffed chips all round...Just a shame the rest of my game fell apart :50: It was summed up quite nicely on the last. A par 5 (a fairly short one as par 5s go!), on the green in 2, only to 4 putt :eek: Granted, the first was at least a 30 footer, but still can't believe I 4 putted. I totally bottled it after my birdie putt lipped out then gained pace and ran on about 4 foot. A par would have been enough for me to half the match with my mate, so I ended up having to buy the first 2 rounds :doh:

A tip for putting is if your coming in from say 30ft (or less) just try and imagine the hole to have say a 2ft circumference and try to get it inside that. Going for a small hole from long distance can lead to you either belting it miles past or babying it.

Helped me cos my putting was destroying my scores for years. The amount of times i'd be on the green in 2 and 3 stab would make we weep.

Carl Spackler

Golf is mostly a mental game mate. 4 putts shouldn't happen but they sometimes do.

Folk always go on about Tiger Woods having great technique and all that but I think the reason he's the best in the world is that he NEVER thinks he is beaten or can't make a shot. No matter how hard I try negative thoughts enter my head during a round at some point and that's when I play a bad shot. I think it's a problem most golfers must have and it's what a 4 putt is all about.

If anyone has a tip as to how to erase bad swing thoughts in an instant I'd be glad to hear it.

If anyone has a tip as to how to erase bad swing thoughts in an instant I'd be glad to hear it.

You need a swing trigger. It is something you think or do at the same point just before every shot. This way you are thinking about this rather than the negative thoughts.

Personally. I move my hands about half an inch forwards. That's all that I think about.. ...its like... set up.... breathe .... move hands,... swing.

On putts I have been known to hum a little tune to myself up to the point of putting.. Usually the Phenomenon tune from the Muppets.. Do do de de do... Phenomenon, do do de do...

Victorian
You need a swing trigger. It is something you think or do at the same point just before every shot. This way you are thinking about this rather than the negative thoughts.

Personally. I move my hands about half an inch forwards. That's all that I think about.. ...its like... set up.... breathe .... move hands,... swing.

On putts I have been known to hum a little tune to myself up to the point of putting.. Usually the Phenomenon tune from the Muppets.. Do do de de do... Phenomenon, do do de do...

swing trigger - this is a good idea. i have no thoughts of muppets myself because it only serves to remind me that i am one. on putts i deliberately blink and then take the putter back.

don't like the 'forward push' with the hands on wood and iron shots. i think this makes you start the wrist break too early and make you pick the club up in the backswing. not good, especially on driver. i prefer a slight weight shift to the left side.

played like a coo today to be fair. decent back 9 of 38 but the front nine was pants.

rossi_1983
A tip for putting is if your coming in from say 30ft (or less) just try and imagine the hole to have say a 2ft circumference and try to get it inside that. Going for a small hole from long distance can lead to you either belting it miles past or babying it.

Helped me cos my putting was destroying my scores for years. The amount of times i'd be on the green in 2 and 3 stab would make we weep.

It was totally down to me bottling it!

For my standard, I am a pretty good putter. In general, I only 3 putt maybe twice a round at worst. Normally also make at least one 15-20 footer per round. I think if I can maintain my good chipping, and piece it together with solid driving and putting, I would be looking at going round in about 15 over, but its just a case of playing enough to get it all working. Playing with a knakered left pinkie from cricket hasn't really helped my last few rounds thought

I P Knightley

i had only been calling Marc King of Level 42 fame Mick all the way round the course:toilet:

What sort of handicap is he playing off?

I had a similar incident about 6-7 years ago when I rolled up to play a mid-week Stableford and, as a fairly new member, got grouped with 3 guys who regularly play together. One of them was a bit scruffy (old men shouldn't have long, grey hair and should tuck their shirts in) and not as chatty as the other two.

Only when we were having a cuppa half way round did I say to him, "So, Mick, what line are you in?" He told me he was in music; I got out of him that he's a drummer. He told me he was playing a lot of jazz and some rock; I got out of him that he used to be in a 'touring rock band', which prompted my never-to-be-forgotten-foot-in-mouth question, "anyone I'd have heard of?"

Micks response? "The Kinks."

The ground nearly swallowed me up. After scoring 23 points on the out nine, I fell to bits and got about 10 coming back.

So, Mick Avory from The Kinks plays off about 15.

Victorian

played in a competition today. truly awful conditions, it was like deepest darkest winter.

really enjoying this hot and dry summer we were told was likely.

Dixie Chicken

Had a round at Whitekirk yesterday, Decent course, pathetic conditions.

Played well enough but wasn't happy with my driving, gonna look at investing in something new....

The Mighty Thor

Played yesterday too. Unfortunately not a day for show golf. Don't mind the wind, don;t mind the rain but both ain't my scene. :50:

Thank feck for Galvin Green!

I played yesterday in a medal as well, hard going or what. The wind down in Gullane was a nightmare and I could hardly hold the putter still. The standard Scratch was 3 over par. Jesus. I shot a 81 (75) and was upset but I ended up 6th scratch and 7th handicap. lol... 3 putted about 8 times (including 2 times to get a par after driving par 4's) and I took 2 to get out the bunker twice as well.

But I also qualified for the club championship as well. Good times.

I played yesterday in a medal as well, hard going or what. The wind down in Gullane was a nightmare and I could hardly hold the putter still. The standard Scratch was 3 over par. Jesus. I shot a 81 (75) and was upset but I ended up 6th scratch and 7th handicap. lol... 3 putted about 8 times (including 2 times to get a par after driving par 4's) and I took 2 to get out the bunker twice as well.

But I also qualified for the club championship as well. Good times.

sounds like you've done very well in the conditions. you might not like the score of 81 but it's all relative in the end.

in edinburgh the rain turned to hail stones more or less and i thought i was going to get frost bite in my hands. couldn't feel the club in my hands at times. was heading for the same score (which i would have seen as a decent score off 7 in the conditions) until a late collapse due to borderline hypothermia.

it was a pleasure to have a nice round in the sun today (apart from a 15 min break in the trees due to another downpour).

bring on the hot dry summer. arf.

I'm sitting watching all the groups go through the 17th at the TPC on the pga website. Cracking website, lots of tips, interviews with the tour pros, videos discussing what they carry in their bags. Great interactive website.

http://www.pgatour.com

On another subject, not having a facebook account, I'd be interested in the Kickback golf day if there's space?

I play off 20, haven't joined a club this year due to financial embarrassment so plan to have a round here and there over the summer. Get a few rounds with invites from work, played the PGA at Gleneagles last year and the Old Course a couple of months ago.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

MISUNDERSTOOD

A man staggered into a hospital with a concussion, multiple bruises, two black eyes, and a five iron wrapped tightly around his throat.

Naturally, the Doctor asked him, "What happened to you ?"

"Well, I was having a quiet round of golf with my wife, when at a difficult hole, we both sliced our golf balls into a field of cattle.

We went to look for them and while I was looking around I noticed one of the cows had something white at its rear end.

I walked over, lifted its tail and sure enough, there was a golf ball with my wife's monogram on it - stuck right in the middle of the cow's vagina."

Still holding the cow's tail up, I yelled to my wife,

"Hey, this looks like yours!".

I don't remember anything after that.....

MISUNDERSTOOD

A man staggered into a hospital with a concussion, multiple bruises, two black eyes, and a five iron wrapped tightly around his throat.

Naturally, the Doctor asked him, "What happened to you ?"

"Well, I was having a quiet round of golf with my wife, when at a difficult hole, we both sliced our golf balls into a field of cattle.

We went to look for them and while I was looking around I noticed one of the cows had something white at its rear end.

I walked over, lifted its tail and sure enough, there was a golf ball with my wife's monogram on it - stuck right in the middle of the cow's vagina."

Still holding the cow's tail up, I yelled to my wife,

"Hey, this looks like yours!".

I don't remember anything after that.....

:D:D:D

grumpy rebus

That's up there with

my wife got stung by a bee on the golf course.......

between the first and second hole.

I think it was due to her stance!!

Coat's on and heading for the TAXI

woman feels the need to take up a new hobby and decides on golf. she buys all the top of the range gear but she hopeless, can't hit snow off a dyke. off she goes to the local teaching pro for a course of lessons to get the hang of the basics. the pro watches her thrashing about for half an hour before trying one last resort to get her hitting the ball.

"you're never going to get anywhere at this rate love. try holding the club like you would hold your husband's willie".

"ok, i'll try that".

ten minutes later and she's booming the shots down the practice range like tiger woods. the pro is well impressed but has a final suggestion...

"that's superb love but try it again by taking the club oot yer mooth".

Old guy gets home after his weekly round with his mate Harry.

Wife asks, "How did you get on today?"

"Oh it was hellish. Harry collapsed with a heart-attack on the 2nd tee."

"Oh my god" said the wife, "Thats awful"

"Oh it was! I'm knackered! It was take a shot, drag Harry, take a shot, drag Harry!"

:hat2:

North Berwick Jambo

Love this clip by Robin Williams about Scottish folk & golf.

(Warning, contains bad language!)

"]

:10900:

had a club tie today. having to give away too many shots for anyones liking. managed to come through after a titanic battle.

i love these games when you come through. when you lose it's a real kick in the practice bag.

lovely day for a game today. thank god after the hellish weather of recently.

grumpy rebus

Didn't play this weekend, but played on Tuesday. Had a 'mare, but finished par-bogey-par-par (17 & 18 in regulation) which is all right for a 24er.

Randle P McMurphy

Can anyone recommend a decent driver? I am a lapsed single figure handicapper who now only plays a couple of times a year. My long game has remained in reasonably good shape but I wouldn't mind exploiting new technology to add a bit of distance. I need something with a low degree of loft as I have always hit the ball on a high trajectory. At the moment I use some dodgy thing I bought from Donnay about 5 years ago for ?20.

I hope to start playing a bit more regularly this year and am prepared to pay ?150- ?200. I have also looked at Golfbidder and have considered buying something used, has anyone used this site before?

Can anyone recommend a decent driver? I am a lapsed single figure handicapper who now only plays a couple of times a year. My long game has remained in reasonably good shape but I wouldn't mind exploiting new technology to add a bit of distance. I need something with a low degree of loft as I have always hit the ball on a high trajectory. At the moment I use some dodgy thing I bought from Donnay about 5 years ago for ?20.

I hope to start playing a bit more regularly this year and am prepared to pay ?150- ?200. I have also looked at Golfbidder and have considered buying something used, has anyone used this site before?

like most things, the internet is place for golf gear. i tend to find prices are about 40% better for clubs compared to stores like nevada bob or AGD.

you'll get a top driver / top make on the internet sites like Direct Golf (my fav) for about ?100.

http://www.thetoptensite.com/golf-equipment-top-10-premium-drivers-index.html

I took the Cleveland Hi Bore and love it.

But you should go to a golf range with a swing centre and they will help you identify the right Loft and shaft.

Good luck

grumpy rebus

I'd go to the range, decide what you want, then loo at the edwin watts site.

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/

I got my last Nike one there, and it was v cheap, even allowing for the shipping.

Carl Spackler

Golfbidder is OK for buying. The offers they give you for clubs aren't brilliant but I suppose they aren't there as a charity. Anyway, I've had several drivers but always return to Titleists.

I P Knightley
like most things, the internet is place for golf gear. i tend to find prices are about 40% better for clubs compared to stores like nevada bob or AGD.

you'll get a top driver / top make on the internet sites like Direct Golf (my fav) for about ?100.

True as far as the pricing goes but you want to spend time trying them out.

I got my R7 Superquad off the 'net without trying out any drivers. I can make the thing work repectably but when it came to getting a rescue club, I went on a trying spree.

I must have tried 7 or 8 different brands and then had some mucking around with different shafts. I settled on Cobra bafflers with Aldila shafts & the guys at the driving range (who see a lot of me with the kids as well) gave me a really good price which I don't think I could have bettered on the 'net. I am super-confident when using those clubs.

I regret a little bit that I didn't show the same patience for the driver which cost nearly twice as much as the 2 rescues.

If you have time, spend it trying out the clubs. Most of the ranges have clinics and the guys seem patient enough to take you through their wares.

True as far as the pricing goes but you want to spend time trying them out.

I got my R7 Superquad off the 'net without trying out any drivers. I can make the thing work repectably but when it came to getting a rescue club, I went on a trying spree.

I must have tried 7 or 8 different brands and then had some mucking around with different shafts. I settled on Cobra bafflers with Aldila shafts & the guys at the driving range (who see a lot of me with the kids as well) gave me a really good price which I don't think I could have bettered on the 'net. I am super-confident when using those clubs.

I regret a little bit that I didn't show the same patience for the driver which cost nearly twice as much as the 2 rescues.

If you have time, spend it trying out the clubs. Most of the ranges have clinics and the guys seem patient enough to take you through their wares.

i wont argue that 'try before you buy' makes sense, you're quite right there.

if like me though and you can't be arsed faffing about trying stuff and have a itchy buying finger on the net... as long as you have a good idea of what you're after then it's still worth while snapping up the odd club or two.

by and large i've done quite well with my 'blind buys' on the net. i knew what i was after when i bought a new 4 wood and hybrid a while back. stiff aldila shafts, specific shape of club heads (rounded leading edge). bought some benross clubs which i had experience of before. they tend to be top class clubs while at the same time being slightly off the top of the range price wise. as a company they don't spend fortunes on marketing etc and the prices reflect that. i've had a couple of epic fails along the line too.

benross clubs are well worth the place in the market they occupy.

flecktimus
What sort of handicap is he playing off?

I had a similar incident about 6-7 years ago when I rolled up to play a mid-week Stableford and, as a fairly new member, got grouped with 3 guys who regularly play together. One of them was a bit scruffy (old men shouldn't have long, grey hair and should tuck their shirts in) and not as chatty as the other two.

Only when we were having a cuppa half way round did I say to him, "So, Mick, what line are you in?" He told me he was in music; I got out of him that he's a drummer. He told me he was playing a lot of jazz and some rock; I got out of him that he used to be in a 'touring rock band', which prompted my never-to-be-forgotten-foot-in-mouth question, "anyone I'd have heard of?"

Micks response? "The Kinks."

The ground nearly swallowed me up. After scoring 23 points on the out nine, I fell to bits and got about 10 coming back.

So, Mick Avory from The Kinks plays off about 15.

Saw him last weekend and he plays of 18, got to say he was cracking company on the course and loves to wind up the local members by wearing loud clothes.

By the way we didnt bother playing Freshwater this year we played at liphook near portmouth instead, very nice heathland golf course.

and i came last in our comp:hang:

I P Knightley

What's folks views on rules & rulings?

My club came off second best in a match at the weekend that was part of a Daily Mail knockout challenge. The guys lost 3-2 and were mumping and grumping today about one team in the opposition using a Bushnell laser rangefinder. The competition rules forbid use of them but our guys didn't know this with certainty when they were playing but raised the question.

The oppo had said they were sure it was ok and carried on using it but now giving our guys the occasional yardage (even though they hadn't asked); effectively making them complicit in the offence.

Anyway, that was one of the matches we lost and our guys took it up with the Daily Mail who have refused to overturn the result saying that the issue should have been sorted out before the end of the match.

Is there a parallel to, say, me getting home after a medal round and finding my kid's cut-off 9-iron in my bag? I'd have to declare that and forfeit the match, wouldn't I? (Philip Price, I believe, was the one who had this embarrassment.)

btw - those Bushnells are the biz!

What's folks views on rules & rulings?

My club came off second best in a match at the weekend that was part of a Daily Mail knockout challenge. The guys lost 3-2 and were mumping and grumping today about one team in the opposition using a Bushnell laser rangefinder. The competition rules forbid use of them but our guys didn't know this with certainty when they were playing but raised the question.

The oppo had said they were sure it was ok and carried on using it but now giving our guys the occasional yardage (even though they hadn't asked); effectively making them complicit in the offence.

Anyway, that was one of the matches we lost and our guys took it up with the Daily Mail who have refused to overturn the result saying that the issue should have been sorted out before the end of the match.

Is there a parallel to, say, me getting home after a medal round and finding my kid's cut-off 9-iron in my bag? I'd have to declare that and forfeit the match, wouldn't I? (Philip Price, I believe, was the one who had this embarrassment.)

btw - those Bushnells are the biz!

normally any rules disputes in a matchplay game between two players / teams would indeed have to be resolved straight away. for instance if there was something which had happened that led one player to question whether the other had transgressed a rule, it would need to agreed by both parties before teeing off at the next hole. if no agreement can be reached you can either continue keeping 2 or more different scores or seek an immediate ruling and resume the match from the same place later. it wouldn't normally be possible for a player to claim a hole or match for a rules transgression after teeing off at the next hole and without agreeing with the other player that a ruling would be sought and/or two or more scores kept.

as this Daily Mail competition sounds like a buckshee tournament which has nothing to do with a recognised golf club, the normal protocols and conventions needn't necessarily apply. personally i don't see any reason why the organisers can't rule retrospectively on it although i can see why they wouldn't.

your analogy about finding you had carried too many clubs during a medal round is different. a medal is an official strokeplay club competition. you can be retrospectively disqualified if found to have broken a rule, and you may also self disqualify. you are never disqualified for carrying too many clubs, it's a two shot penalty for every hole played, however you would be disqualified for signing for an incorrect score.

Edited by victorian

I P Knightley
normally any rules disputes in a matchplay game between two players / teams would indeed have to be resolved straight away. for instance if there was something which had happened that led one player to question whether the other had transgressed a rule, it would need to agreed by both parties before teeing off at the next hole. if no agreement can be reached you can either continue keeping 2 or more different scores or seek an immediate ruling and resume the match from the same place later. it wouldn't normally be possible for a player to claim a hole or match for a rules transgression after teeing off at the next hole and without agreeing with the other player that a ruling would be sought and/or two or more scores kept.

as this Daily Mail competition sounds like a buckshee tournament which has nothing to do with a recognised golf club, the normal protocols and conventions needn't necessarily apply. personally i don't see any reason why the organisers can't rule retrospectively on it although i can see why they wouldn't.

your analogy about finding you had carried too many clubs during a medal round is different. a medal is an official strokeplay club competition. you can be retrospectively disqualified if found to have broken a rule, and you may also self disqualify. you are never disqualified for carrying too many clubs, it's a two shot penalty for every hole played, however you would be disqualified for signing for an incorrect score.

Cheers, V.

Although I'm a keen golfer, I've never got on top of the rules for matches. Basically, I always err on the side of caution if in doubt but this whole malarkey would be beyond me. That's why I stay away from team comps!

Great new avatar, by the way!

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I had my second hole in 1 at the weekend there.

A lovely 4 iron into a strong wind. 16th hole, Number 1 at Gullane and 186 yards

I called the shot, a lot cut into the wind and run it up the green and watched it roll into the hole.

Bottle of whisky on the bar for all to enjoy. .

SWEET

Had 3 - yet to see any of them go in

2nd at Lothianburn into a howler, full driver

6th at Lothianburn - 6 iron

15th at Lothianburn (par 4) - Driver again

it's a two shot penalty for every hole played, however you would be disqualified for signing for an incorrect score.

Up to a Maximum of 4 shots.

The rules are important and well spotted that in Matchplay you have to sort out the conflict before you tee off at the next hole.

As for them telling you the Yardage, I am not sure that is a problem as it is a factual thing. You cannot ask or receive advice on the course, e.g the put will slope from right to left, the wind is strong... but you can talk about yardages as it is fact, e.g on the tee you ask him to read you the yardage as you forgot your reading glasses.

As for the laser pointer... I have no idea!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread