Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

On 11/09/2021 at 18:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone played/is a member at Baberton? Never played it before, looks a decent track.

Heading over next Sunday for the scramble.

Yep. The course is in good condition, nice greens, lots of interesting holes. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

No driver off the first due to lots of balls ending up in neighbours gardens. :lol:  

A 6 iron will put you in a decent spot.

Recommend hitting an iron off the 4th too unless you are confident of not going even slightly left - a short, downhill par 4 where you're hitting blind off the tee. Reachable with a driver but I'd be in the trees 9 times out of 10. :lol: 

Hole 5 is an absolute **** of a par 3 back up the hill. Again I'd be in the trees in the left 9 times out of 10 with a 3 wood, so I just play it as a par 4 and lay an iron up short of the green.

Edited by Ray Gin

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be glad to see the back of this season after 2 more comps in 3 weeks time.  The second half of the season has been bloody awful.  So many doubles and worse are limiting my cards to fairly crap,  at best.  My scoring was always based on consistency and eliminating doubles to near nothing.  If I'm destined to have 2, 3, 4 per round then the B Section beckons before much longer.

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep. The course is in good condition, nice greens, lots of interesting holes. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

No driver off the first due to lots of balls ending up in neighbours gardens. :lol:  

A 6 iron will put you in a decent spot.

Recommend hitting an iron off the 4th too unless you are confident of not going even slightly left - a short, downhill par 4 where you're hitting blind off the tee. Reachable with a driver but I'd be in the trees 9 times out of 10. :lol: 

Hole 5 is an absolute **** of a par 3 back up the hill. Again I'd be in the trees in the left 9 times out of 10 with a 3 wood, so I just play it as a par 4 and lay an iron up short of the green.

Cheers mate. Looks a really nice track from looking at the hole by hole guide.

Left is never an issue for me 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Anyone played Uphall before?

Playing there on Saturday

Just hollow tined and top dressed.

As told by a workmate who played on Sunday.

Can be hairy scary when busy.

1st tee, you can hit the 18th green and joint 2nd/15th green, 16th tee.

Quite a sight to see.

Beware walking up 6th fairway as balls from 8th tee are being hit towards you and vice versa.

But a good course, not long and always in good condition.

Edit:

No clubhouse just now, burnt down early this year.

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just hollow tined and top dressed.

As told by a workmate who played on Sunday.

Can be hairy scary when busy.

1st tee, you can hit the 18th green and joint 2nd/15th green, 16th tee.

Quite a sight to see.

Beware walking up 6th fairway as balls from 8th tee are being hit towards you and vice versa.

But a good course, not long and always in good condition.

Edit:

No clubhouse just now, burnt down early this year.

Wonder if their ex Pumphy member, lottery multi millionaire will contribute to the re- build:whistling:

Just now, merrymac said:

Wonder if their ex Pumphy member, lottery multi millionaire will contribute to the re- build:whistling:

I'm hoping hes going to contribute to our drinks kitty.

Good lad Drakey

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm hoping hes going to contribute to our drinks kitty.

Good lad Drakey

He is indeed

I was a member a good number of years ago and played in the team with him.

Top player, could have been a pro with a bit more commitment I reckon

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

52 minutes ago, Barack said:

Summary to date, of Stableford points since being back in Scotland playing at St. Fillans. Over 9 holes.

Monday: 11.

Wednesday: 22.

Today: 17.

Off to The Old Course, tomorrow. Not playing, but...if they give me permission, I'll be flying my drone over the 1st & 18th fairways.

Funnily, RAF Leuchars & Police Scotland were the simplest to deal with. Just waiting on an email from St. Andrews.

Might just be the old phone photos. Might play the Himalayas though!

Will you post results if successful  👍

Not your score on the Himalayas, I mean the drone videos.:lol:

16 hours ago, Barack said:

Summary to date, of Stableford points since being back in Scotland playing at St. Fillans. Over 9 holes.

Monday: 11.

Wednesday: 22.

Today: 17.

Off to The Old Course, tomorrow. Not playing, but...if they give me permission, I'll be flying my drone over the 1st & 18th fairways.

Funnily, RAF Leuchars & Police Scotland were the simplest to deal with. Just waiting on an email from St. Andrews.

Might just be the old phone photos. Might play the Himalayas though!

I'd just do it, it's public land is it not? And if you've had approval from RAF & PS then I'd say you're all good.

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Any recommendations for a round on Tuesday afternoon? Looking at around 50/60 quid round.

Thinking of Downfield but open to suggestions.

Just been on Golf Now for myself.

Noted deals at Monifeith £67,

Alyth around £30, Arbroath around £30, and same at Forfar.

All good quality courses.

Hope you find something  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Just been on Golf Now for myself.

Noted deals at Monifeith £67,

Alyth around £30, Arbroath around £30, and same at Forfar.

All good quality courses.

Hope you find something  :thumbsup:

Never played Monifieth before so that may be a shout, cheers 👍

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Any recommendations for a round on Tuesday afternoon? Looking at around 50/60 quid round.

Thinking of Downfield but open to suggestions.

Gullane is always enjoyable. 3 should easily be in that price bracket (the 2 for 1 vouchers you can pick up online were always valid there too). 2 may have some green maintenance being carried out at this time if year but still playable. 

North Berwick Jambo

Heard a rumour today that the Renaissance club  is in the running  to host the 2031 Ryder Cup. Not that surprising considering the serious money they have. It will be interesting to see if this comes true. 

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Aye Uphall is pretty nuts 😂

Great condition though

Was it busy when you were on the first tee?

If it was, you must have thinking that it is impossible to drive without hitting someone :lol:

55 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

If it was, you must have thinking that it is impossible to drive without hitting someone :lol:

We got lucky in that it was one guy by himself ahead of us. Was a four-ball behind us though so hole 2 was a laugh. No issues on 2/15 but can imagine it can be dodgy. 

The number of fore shouts across the road though was surreal 😂. I shouted fore right and immediately the group behind shouted fore left so I had to duck whilst shouting 😂. Good laugh but yeah a very nice course

57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hate the first 3 holes at Uphall 😂

1 hour ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Heard a rumour today that the Renaissance club  is in the running  to host the 2031 Ryder Cup. Not that surprising considering the serious money they have. It will be interesting to see if this comes true. 

Would be very surprised at this if it was true .

1 hour ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Nice course but would need to toughen it up

Forgot to mention my mate played the jammiest shot ever at hole 16 at Uphall (the green with the water around it). He underhit a pitching wedge and we were all saying uh oh here comes water but nahhh it hit the only rock in the stream and landed 6ft away 😐

15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What a brilliant course Baberton is, really enjoyed it. Course was in really good condition as well. Will definitely be back.

Good to hear you enjoyed it! It does hold up remarkably well after pissing rain, which we certainly had plenty of on Saturday night.

20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Good to hear you enjoyed it! It does hold up remarkably well after pissing rain, which we certainly had plenty of on Saturday night.

Had pretty much everything I look for in a parkland. Elevation changes, tight tee shots and a lot of raised greens. My favourite course I've played in Edinburgh for sure.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had pretty much everything I look for in a parkland. Elevation changes, tight tee shots and a lot of raised greens. My favourite course I've played in Edinburgh for sure.

I played Baberton a lot when I was younger and it is a great course. Played it once since the re-design but can't remember what 18 is like now. Is it still a hellish elevated green with OB all down the right?

14 minutes ago, kila said:

I played Baberton a lot when I was younger and it is a great course. Played it once since the re-design but can't remember what 18 is like now. Is it still a hellish elevated green with OB all down the right?

Yeah I think so, 17th is a par 3 then the 18th tee next to the green and a boundary fence.

On 20/09/2021 at 17:23, kila said:

Played it once recently and don't recognise that as the last hole, although it looked like the green had been moved left.

The 18th is definitely OB all the way down the right hand side with a very tricky elevated green that drops off sharply on the left hand side with 2 big bunkers.

I've had many 3-putt/3-off-the-tee finishes on that hole.

:sob: 

Edited by Ray Gin

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone played Eyemouth ? Looking to play next month. 

Never played it but I follow them on Facebook. The Par 3 over the north sea looks incredible.

3 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Never played it but I follow them on Facebook. The Par 3 over the north sea looks incredible.

Aye it looks class and £30 a round mid week too is priced not to bad. I'm going to play it in October. 

5 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Aye it looks class and £30 a round mid week too is priced not to bad. I'm going to play it in October. 

Magdalene in Berwick also looks a good course. Only £30 too.

Samuel Camazzola

Dumbarnie Links are extending their season into mid November with 'shoulder season' rates kicking in mid October. 

Played it again at the weekend and still as enjoyable as ever. Greens still very true despite being so young. 

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The 18th is definitely OB all the way down the right hand side with a very tricky elevated green that drops off sharply on the left hand side with 2 big bunkers.

I've had many 3-putt/3-off-the-tee finishes on that hole.

:sob: 

Looking at the video on the club website, the hole is as you described it, but it was in a different place when I played it.

How odd 

7 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It's decent enough, couple cracking holes and some so-so holes.

7 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Bit of a mixed bag, some good holes and a few pretty average.

Also for a links course one massive climb up a big hill.

Its ok but not a favourite of mine.

23 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I've played it 3 times. Twice on rounds with friends and once in their open. Always been in great condition and enjoyable, especially for £30.

Some boring holes but not many. Like Mac said the 11 is only 260 or so yards but straight up a hill, then 13 comes down it again so it feels like you can hit the ball for miles. Reminded me a bit of the glen in north berwick if you've played there before.

9 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I've played it 3 times. Twice on rounds with friends and once in their open. Always been in great condition and enjoyable, especially for £30.

Some boring holes but not many. Like Mac said the 11 is only 260 or so yards but straight up a hill, then 13 comes down it again so it feels like you can hit the ball for miles. Reminded me a bit of the glen in north berwick if you've played there before.

I've no played the Glen before but seen what I think is the first looks like its a drive up a hill. No as bad as Gullane 1 wee hill ? hole 2 and 18 i think it was . 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I've no played the Glen before but seen what I think is the first looks like its a drive up a hill. No as bad as Gullane 1 wee hill ? 

Aye that's the one. It is similar in that it is more over cliffs with the ground a bit softer instead of proper links. The hole at Eyemouth is steeper than the first at Gullane 1 but not as far. My mate has drove the green once but every other time you end up in the same catchment area about 100 yards short even though the hole is only 250 yards. 

I'll probably end up playing eyemouth again next year unless we get any good weekend winter deals. It is challenging but if you strike the ball well it is fairly easy to score. Play badly and it can easily punish you. I play off 18 and have had a +4 front 9 and +3 back 9, but on separate rounds to just play to my handicap both times

41 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I've no played the Glen before but seen what I think is the first looks like its a drive up a hill. No as bad as Gullane 1 wee hill ? hole 2 and 18 i think it was . 

You drive on the flat to the foot of the hill at the Glen, and then a short iron to a green at the top. Eyemouth is more a long drag up a pretty steep incline. I have got asthma and the Eyemouth hole leaves me needing oxygen😨😂

On 31/08/2021 at 13:55, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not immediately close to the bridge but for value, Charleton is worth a visit. 

Tee times can sometimes be as low as £15 depending on the time and day of the week. 

I discovered this place on a recent break in Fife. I was worried that the price indicated it would be a farmer's field with clever photography on the website, especially give the green fees for all of its near neighbours. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the course. The rough was more punishing than I'd have liked :o but I'm not sure that's entirely the greenkeeper's fault. What surprised me was the number of pitch marks on some greens that folk just hadn't had a go at repairing; I must have tried to repair about 3 for every one of my own. I wondered whether it was a Fifer thing - that they're used to playing on links so less accustomed to making the marks - but had a chat with the greenkeeper who said that it's mainly played by members who ought to know better. I'd definitely go back, though.

joondalupjambo

Here is something that I just heard, wonder what you guys think of this strategy.

Here at Lundin Golf Club the new, lastest committee have had their hands full with all the ramifications of the last 18 months, the same as all other golf clubs. They put up members fees 100 quid to 680, then we pay 25 more for a locker.  (There is also a joining fee of currently 920 for new members and we have at the moment circa 60 on that list.)  The message was that we had been getting cheap golf for a long time and regardless of Covid that it was time that fees were raised year on year to get to a more realistic level.  Personally I did think in 2020 that 580 was pretty good value for the course we play and now 680 still seems very reasonable.  Interesting that the committee do not indicate what they believe to be a final realistic level in terms of annual fees for our course.

Also a summer season visitors round currently is 85 quid mid week and 100 at the weekend.  These are supposedly to change next year to 120 midweek and 150 at the weekend.  The committee believe that we are seen to be too cheap at 85 given our location and standing.  We are sitting at 31st in the top 100 courses in GB and Ireland apparently.  They believe that visitors are missing out on a great round of golf and that by increasing the fees to over 100 that they will view us differently.  Also with overseas visitors back next year, surely then even a slight increase in our usual numbers will generate a large chunk of additional income.

So the question is in this time of great economic difficulty in the golf market, especially in Fife where we are located is the tactic to go up in price a good one or is it a risk too far?  Should we not just sit at 85 or 90 just below the hundred mark and go for volume for next year, mind you that annoys the members of course? Or is getting over the hundred mark a good psychological barrier to break to reap more benefits?

My view is that I think the committee are perhaps slightly living in past glories where this was a course held in very high regard but this was before all the St Andrew's courses, Kingsbarns etc. were still pipe dreams.  It is a very, very good course but our overseas visitor numbers are relatively low against our home market visitors and so if we do not get enough of the former will the 120 put off the home market?

Thoughts?