Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

14 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Cheers fella looking forward to it .

I've seen mixed reviews with non members getting bit of a tight time from the starter when they arrive. 😂

Be surprised if they have a starter.? More likely to be a grumpy member doing volunteer work and trying to scare away pesky visitors😂

Just ignore and enjoy your day.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Be surprised if they have a starter.? More likely to be a grumpy member doing volunteer work and trying to scare away pesky visitors😂

Just ignore and enjoy your day.

Aye I take no notice of these people when I go to golf courses. I just don’t give them the satisfaction 😂

Does anyone have recommendations of courses in Fife ideally close to the bridge for an afternoon midweek round next week that isn't too expensive (around £25 each)? Got someone coming from Dundee way and a few from East Lothian. 

Been looking at Pitreavie or Aberdour but i know a few people here are from that way. Cheers

48 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Does anyone have recommendations of courses in Fife ideally close to the bridge for an afternoon midweek round next week that isn't too expensive (around £25 each)? Got someone coming from Dundee way and a few from East Lothian. 

Been looking at Pitreavie or Aberdour but i know a few people here are from that way. Cheers

Aberdour is a nice wee course but Burntisland is a bit better.  Not a big fan of Pitreavie.  

52 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

@hmfc_liam06

23 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

9 holes booked for Dundas on Wednesday no played it before ? anyone played it whats the thoughts ? 

Will see you there - I'm 5 groups ahead of you, i'm guessing you're 17:12!

It's a great wee club, lovely greens with many very subtle breaks, 2 very different par 3's, a long par 5, and 6 totally different par 4's - it doesn't trying to be an £800 Edinburgh club.  I think it's very well maintained and love the views of the castle.

Enjoy!

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Aberdour is a nice wee course but Burntisland is a bit better.  Not a big fan of Pitreavie.  

Cheers just had a look at it and sent it to the other guys. 

3 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Aberdour is a nightmare to try and get a visitor time. Pitreavie have cored their greens in the last week or so, so maybe not ideal. I'm a big fan of Burntisland, usually in good nick.

I've sent you a PM.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aberdour is a nightmare to try and get a visitor time. Pitreavie have cored their greens in the last week or so, so maybe not ideal. I'm a big fan of Burntisland, usually in good nick.

I've sent you a PM.

Got it. Cheers for the advice. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Not immediately close to the bridge but for value, Charleton is worth a visit. 

Tee times can sometimes be as low as £15 depending on the time and day of the week. 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not immediately close to the bridge but for value, Charleton is worth a visit. 

Tee times can sometimes be as low as £15 depending on the time and day of the week. 

Probably just too far since most us are only taking a half day from work but i'll keep it in mind for a future game. Cheers

19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

It's a great wee club, lovely greens with many very subtle breaks, 2 very different par 3's, a long par 5, and 6 totally different par 4's - it doesn't trying to be an £800 Edinburgh club.  I think it's very well maintained and love the views of the castle.

Enjoy!

Looking forward to it I said Wednesday it’s Thursday I’m playing glad I checked or I would of turned up this afternoon 😂.

On 31/08/2021 at 10:46, Armageddon said:

Enjoy!

Lucky my clubs and golf stuff stay in the boot of my car! my golf booking was last night I noticed at 3pm at work 😂 Cracking course first time playing it I was impressed!. When playing the 2nd the 7th par 3 boys were teeing off so close to a hole in one cracking shot!

I'll be back to play it again no doubt! I'm not sure how its taking years to actually play it I don't live far and been playing golf over 10 years 😂 I normally play Oatridge or Gogerburn mid week after work but I think Dundas leads the way between the 3 courses. 

Disser Pointon

Played Carnoustie for the second time on Tuesday, it was about as benign as you can get it there but man are those bunkers well placed. Didn't lose a ball and respectable 33 points off the whites despite blobbing the last.

3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Lucky my clubs and golf stuff stay in the boot of my car! my golf booking was last night I noticed at 3pm at work 😂 Cracking course first time playing it I was impressed!. When playing the 2nd the 7th par 3 boys were teeing off so close to a hole in one cracking shot!

I'll be back to play it again no doubt! I'm not sure how its taking years to actually play it I don't live far and been playing golf over 10 years 😂 I normally play Oatridge or Gogerburn mid week after work but I think Dundas leads the way between the 3 courses. 

Haha I did see a visitor Stuart off just after 5! Glad you enjoyed it!

11 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Haha I did see a visitor Stuart off just after 5! Glad you enjoyed it!

Aye it was me mate haha! I thought I booked for Thursday then checked emails at work and seen it was Wed had to get the Mrs to drive over with my golf gear wasn't  too chuffed . 

5 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Played Carnoustie for the second time on Tuesday, it was about as benign as you can get it there but man are those bunkers well placed. Didn't lose a ball and respectable 33 points off the whites despite blobbing the last.

As course design goes it's as close to perfect as it gets.

I was in a bunker on 6 of the first 7 par 4s, and every time the shot was down the middle :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

As course design goes it's as close to perfect as it gets.

I was in a bunker on 6 of the first 7 par 4s, and every time the shot was down the middle :lol:

Exactly, they're bang on the money for yardages, I was very similar, didn't hit a bad drive but they feed their way in!!!

22 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Exactly, they're bang on the money for yardages, I was very similar, didn't hit a bad drive but they feed their way in!!!

Pretty much every time it was the classic ripped down the middle don't even need to watch the ball routine. Only for my playing partners to say "unlucky, it's rolled into the bunker".

You can't even get mad!

Just a superb course. Best I've ever played.

20 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rules eh. This putt went in the hole.

20210904_230945.jpg

New USA chant

If we cant beat em we cheat em ra ra ra

4 hours ago, merrymac said:

New USA chant

If we cant beat em we cheat em ra ra ra

There is always drama in this always see a small group of the team around an official . Remember last time they were all crying and getting upset I can’t remember what it was I’ll find it tomorrow but so much drama 🙄

What spoils golf for me is the folk that get involved when they just shouldn’t.

Parents, folk from other groups watching on, rules officials (unless stopping blatant cheating), fans phoning in from watching tv coverage - and did I say parents? 🤣

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

There is always drama in this always see a small group of the team around an official . Remember last time they were all crying and getting upset I can’t remember what it was I’ll find it tomorrow but so much drama 🙄

Didn't they go to Doctors to grab pint after it all? 🤣

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Charley Hull and Suzanne Pettersen match from a few years ago? American girl picked up the ball presuming it was given but Pettersen told her it had not been conceded. Drama, arguing and tears followed. Think it was from around 2015 or 2017. 

Played Grangemouth yesterday. Nice enough course - could do with touching up a few greens and fairways tho.

Tell you what though I found every load of trees with my drives. Couldn't not hit it right :(

Had a round at Dullutar in Cumbernauld, my legs are still feeling it yet, what a hike!

Cracking layout though, some really interesting holes and despite length some reachable par 4's due to the massive elevation changes. Condition needs a wee bit TLC but enjoyable round all the same.

4 3 putts though :seething:

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Charley Hull and Suzanne Pettersen match from a few years ago? American girl picked up the ball presuming it was given but Pettersen told her it had not been conceded. Drama, arguing and tears followed. Think it was from around 2015 or 2017. 

Yeah that rings a bell mate. that Charley Hull 😍

12 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What got me was the referee making a decision from what appeared to be off the green, how the hell could she see from there?

Then they send it to TV who are always going to back the referee decision. I am sure the European player would not have touched the ball if she thought it was going to move.

The Yanks are famous for it, also Annika Sorrenstam a good few years ago,pitched in from off the green, and the Yanks complained she had played out of turn, and she had to replay the shot.

Revenge for what happened in 2015?

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

What got me was the referee making a decision from what appeared to be off the green, how the hell could she see from there?

Then they send it to TV who are always going to back the referee decision. I am sure the European player would not have touched the ball if she thought it was going to move.

The Yanks are famous for it, also Annika Sorrenstam a good few years ago,pitched in from off the green, and the Yanks complained she had played out of turn, and she had to replay the shot.

Revenge for what happened in 2015?

I get the feeling the ruling was introduced to protect the player playing the shot.

In this case, the US player had no intention of farting about hoping it would fall.  She happily accepted the concession from her opponent and never said she was wrong in picking it up.

The referee just involved herself and ruined the integrity of the match.

16 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I get the feeling the ruling was introduced to protect the player playing the shot.

In this case, the US player had no intention of farting about hoping it would fall.  She happily accepted the concession from her opponent and never said she was wrong in picking it up.

The referee just involved herself and ruined the integrity of the match.

Spot on Tommy👍

The rule is basically designed for stroke play, as it stopped players hanging about endlessly to see if it would drop.

She could still be standing there now and the ball would still be there.

Pleased for Sagstrom that it did not effect the result

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

My first round for 9 years tomorrow. :robboyas:

Cochrane Castle. I've never had the pleasure. And it's :sunny:

Could be thundery tomorrow.

Sorry to piss on your chips.. 🥺

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Could be thundery tomorrow.

Sorry to piss on your chips.. 🥺

Just finished. We sneaked a draw. My round was shocking 🤣. Alright for such a long time out.

Next year I'll be out every week .

Samuel Camazzola

Anyone played/is a member at Baberton? Never played it before, looks a decent track.

Heading over next Sunday for the scramble.

Not played it since 17th May 1998. The date is etched in my mind as I had a team match there and missed the cup parade! 😢🙈

I was -4 today with 3 to play and shot level par 😭. Weather turned wild on the 13th and I finished bogey, bogey, double. 3 stab on the last green too . 

William H. Bonney

Anyone played/is a member at Baberton? Never played it before, looks a decent track.

My dad is a member there. Good course. Greens are really good now after years of turmoil. The first has been greatly reduced in length due to a dispute with a neighbour. You’re not allowed to hit a club that would get you past the first bunkers. Normally hit a mid to high iron or the tee. 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Very typical Edinburgh parkland course. Had terrible problems with the greens for many years now sorted thankfully.

Decent par 3's if I remember.

First hole you are only allowed to hit an iron off the tee

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Samuel Camazzola

Garcia, Lowry and Poulter confirmed as captain's picks. 

Cracking team Europe have and their were others who could have stepped in to show the depth we have. 

Great US individuals but think Europe will deliver again. 

Samuel Camazzola
53 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Garcia - hmmmm I’d have gone with Rose all day long 

Either player would have been a strong pick. Similar questions were raised about Garcia's inclusion for Paris but he turned out to be exceptional over the three days. 

Think rose playing and performing well deserved a pick over Garcia or poulter. Makes me think Garcia was probably already given the nod from Harrington before this event. 

32 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Think rose playing and performing well deserved a pick over Garcia or poulter. Makes me think Garcia was probably already given the nod from Harrington before this event. 

Happy with Shane being a pick no keen on Garcia would of liked seeing Boab in but there was no chance he was getting a captain pick or even being considered with Garcia Rose Poulter not in the team . 

4 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I would say Garcia has been consistently better than rose all season. Neither have been sparkling but Garcia edged it for me. 

This is the main problem. Too many of the European team are not in the best of form at the moment,which is a big worry.

Very strong US team who all seem to be in decent form.

Sincerely hope not, but can see a comfortable US victory

I doubt that any recent tournament play form will count for much.  As we know strokeplay and matchplay golf can be remarkably different.  Especially for the 4somes and 4balls.  It will be more important as to which players get themselves dialled into matchplay conditions and which players form the optimum combinations for both pairs disciplines.  The dynamics of teamplay and the format will suit some players more than others.  

Europe for me unless they have a poor first day and the USA build a lead to protect.  Even first day and Europe will win imo.

Edited by Victorian