Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There's a whole load of variables involved. Someone could have their heart set on a specific brand of club and be fitted for something that's not suitable. A good fitter should provide the advice needed here. 

The fitter may not be very good is another possibility. A fitter could be looking to make a sale against a specific model to meet targets etc. Again, questions of the choice of fitter would be raised. 

Several players I know cannot speak highly enough of Scott Gourlay at Swanston as his testing and fitting covers everything. 

Yeah I tend to think it's of benefit to the majority but with some bad experiences for a small minority.  

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I'm not going to criticise custom fitting but it's no guarantee of being correctly fitted.  I've spoken to a couple of players much better than me who were fitted for drivers that they didn't take to at all when used on the course.  

There's a whole load of variables involved. Someone could have their heart set on a specific brand of club and be fitted for something that's not suitable. A good fitter should provide the advice needed here. 

The fitter may not be very good is another possibility. A fitter could be looking to make a sale against a specific model to meet targets etc. Again, questions of the choice of fitter would be raised. 

Several players I know cannot speak highly enough of Scott Gourlay at Swanston as his testing and fitting covers everything. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fair do's. I can't imagine doing that as premium clubs are getting more expensive each year and would be looking to make the correct investment. Fair play if you've found a deal to justify the punt. 

I've no idea where the ball would end up if I used a regular shaft these days. I think it's been over 20 years since I've swung one. Maybe it's what's missing from my game... 😄 

Cleveland have just launched their new drivers in the US and are due to come here in the spring. From the reviews I've watched for them, the reputable guys are raving about them and the price point is a couple of hundred less than the market leaders. They look great and I'll give them a shot. 

You should have a look at Tour Edge as well.

I picked up a Tour Edge Exotics driver at the start of the season (no fitting). It is the straightest I have ever hit a driver and no loss of distance compared to others.

The nice bit - picked it up for £200 almost new with a quality Oban shaft on it.

Even brand new they are £200 less than the usual suspects

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I picked up a Tour Edge Exotics driver at the start of the season (no fitting). It is the straightest I have ever hit a driver and no loss of distance compared to others.

The nice bit - picked it up for £200 almost new with a quality Oban shaft on it.

👍 Cheers. Did you find a local stockist or just took the plunge? 

Ping, TM, Titleist and Callaway have been pushing the price each year. Ultimately, it's to pay for their marketing (although they do put investment into R&D). 

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo is a fixed driver with no adjustment options but has been highly commended. The new XL version to be launched does have adjustability and is still priced quite well. Comes with premium Miyazaki shafts as part of their standard options. 

Cleveland (same company as Srixon) is one of the golf brands like Wilson, Ogio and Sun Mountain who are known here but not as big as they are in the States. Mainly at the forefront for wedges 

13 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Ping, TM, Titleist and Callaway have been pushing the price each year. Ultimately, it's to pay for their marketing (although they do put investment into R&D). 

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo is a fixed driver with no adjustment options but has been highly commended. The new XL version to be launched does have adjustability and is still priced quite well. Comes with premium Miyazaki shafts as part of their standard options. 

Cleveland (same company as Srixon) is one of the golf brands like Wilson, Ogio and Sun Mountain who are known here but not as big as they are in the States. Mainly at the forefront for wedges 

Took a punt on ebay, advertised as used, but looked pretty brand new.

American Golf is the UK distributor now.

Pretty big brand in US, but just starting to pick up here.They have tended not to have staff players to keep the cost down, although there is a few of their clubs appearing pretty exclusively on the Champions tour.

Nice adjustability on their drivers loft and lie angle, and a smart looking driver.

image.jpeg.0ba81e39bf9ee7216fe8f1fc74dbdc17.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Took a punt on ebay, advertised as used, but looked pretty brand new.

American Golf is the UK distributor now.

Pretty big brand in US, but just starting to pick up here.They have tended not to have staff players to keep the cost down, although there is a few of their clubs appearing pretty exclusively on the Champions tour.

Nice adjustability on their drivers loft and lie angle, and a smart looking driver.

image.jpeg.0ba81e39bf9ee7216fe8f1fc74dbdc17.jpeg

Cheers. 

I'll be looking to do trialling and fittings next season bit options will be kept open. 

Ps - No idea why my latest posts are appearing twice... 😄 

43 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. 

I'll be looking to do trialling and fittings next season bit options will be kept open. 

Ps - No idea why my latest posts are appearing twice... 😄 

Thought you were trying for top poster 😂😂

Had a midweek stableford medal tonight. 21 points on the front 9 after starting with 1 point on the first 2 holes, then 12 points on the back 9. That’s why I play off 18. 

Put a 5 iron to 4 foot from 210 yards on our SI1 hole and tapped in for birdie only for my mate who I was playing with to top a drive 80 yards then hole out from 190 for eagle a few holes later.

Edited by neal-jambos

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

210 yards with a 5 iron 😳

18 handicap you say....

:levein_interesting:

T300s so strong lofted 😂 

My mates reckon I should be off around 15 but I keep collapsing in medals. Have a few +12s on my handicap calculations but only around Winterfield, but also have a 95 around Dunbar counting. 

If I didn’t lose 2 or 3 balls off the tee a round that would help get it down. I know everyone’s fairly inconsistent at golf but I take it to extremes! 

Edited by neal-jambos

Even a 15 handicapper hitting 210 with a 5i is outrageous.

My stock yardage with a 5i is around 170.

For context, Rory's stock yardage with a 5i is 219 :lol:

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If its 210 at Winterfield there is probably 30 - 40 yards of run in it. I can guarantee he didn't carry it 210 and spin it back 😂.

Rory is carry 210

I can hit a 9 iron 200+ yards if the conditions are right, but stock distance is 125-130.

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

If its 210 at Winterfield there is probably 30 - 40 yards of run in it. I can guarantee he didn't carry it 210 and spin it back 😂.

Rory is carry 210

I can hit a 9 iron 200+ yards if the conditions are right, but stock distance is 125-130.

I still claim the 360 yard tee shot at Lundin last summer as my longest to date...

Brick hard ground and a 25mph wind behind me :lol:

16 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Rory is carry 210

Aye that’s right. No danger I’m carrying it close to that. Probably about 175-180 carry then the ground just now is solid so it ran out perfectly. 

Meant to be playing Haddington tomorrow if it isn’t rained off so will be totally different on a parkland course. Probably take me a while to get used to different yardages since I’m so used to links. 

Still getting used to the new handicap system because my handicap gets me 17 shots at Winterfield but 21 at Haddington which I’d hope to play to and get a cut. 

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Gogerburn last night worst I've played this year . Can't adapt to playing golf after a day's work . 

Give up the graft.

16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Give up the graft.

Haha that what I said to my dad last night. If I was a member and playing in medals I'd have to take half days time to relax before playing. 

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

195 - 210 is my 5 iron range, though I've got blades with extra stiff shafts. Using my older clubs with cavity backs I'd struggle to get it that far with a 5. Blades are great fun and so rewarding when you catch it proper.

I'm a 13 handicapper, sometimes shooting in the 90s sometimes in the 70s but mostly in the low 80s. It's often my putting that lets me down, especially if my blood is beginning to boil. I wouldn't look at how far someone hits their irons and assume they're a low handicapper though. Power is easy, control and judgement less so especially on the greens.

I've been playing with a yardage app on my phone along with blades for nearly a decade so I know my distances well. Doesn't mean I'm consistent at striking it flush each time, but I'm generally good at gauging how far I can hit a particular iron in various conditions. I get a gut feeling what is right and sometimes that can even be going with a 7 iron at 190 yards because it might be better to come up just shy than to go long on that hole.

I actually find it harder to score well when there's no wind, a 10-15mph one mysteriously coincides with my best scores. Could be because when there's no wind in summer there's usually higher temperatures!

15 minutes ago, kila said:

195 - 210 is my 5 iron range, though I've got blades with extra stiff shafts. Using my older clubs with cavity backs I'd struggle to get it that far with a 5. Blades are great fun and so rewarding when you catch it proper.

I'm a 13 handicapper, sometimes shooting in the 90s sometimes in the 70s but mostly in the low 80s. It's often my putting that lets me down, especially if my blood is beginning to boil. I wouldn't look at how far someone hits their irons and assume they're a low handicapper though. Power is easy, control and judgement less so especially on the greens.

I've been playing with a yardage app on my phone along with blades for nearly a decade so I know my distances well. Doesn't mean I'm consistent at striking it flush each time, but I'm generally good at gauging how far I can hit a particular iron in various conditions. I get a gut feeling what is right and sometimes that can even be going with a 7 iron at 190 yards because it might be better to come up just shy than to go long on that hole.

I actually find it harder to score well when there's no wind, a 10-15mph one mysteriously coincides with my best scores. Could be because when there's no wind in summer there's usually higher temperatures!

I'm the same re no wind. Or see if the wind changes from the usual direction at my place it totally screws me :lol: 

7 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Aye that’s right. No danger I’m carrying it close to that. Probably about 175-180 carry then the ground just now is solid so it ran out perfectly. 

Meant to be playing Haddington tomorrow if it isn’t rained off so will be totally different on a parkland course. Probably take me a while to get used to different yardages since I’m so used to links. 

Still getting used to the new handicap system because my handicap gets me 17 shots at Winterfield but 21 at Haddington which I’d hope to play to and get a cut. 

Same for me when I  play parkland

mentally hard to club up when you are used to the ball releasing so far

enjoy your game and hopefully a cut🔪

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I still claim the 360 yard tee shot at Lundin last summer as my longest to date...

Brick hard ground and a 25mph wind behind me :lol:

Still a good effort though👍
many many moons ago playing the par 5 at craigmillar park 14th? Hit my drive out of bounds down a road that runs parallel to the hole the road turns left at about 400yards and my drive had popped through the fence and was lying about 70 yards from the green chip and 2 putts later easy birdie

the genuine  concrete fairway 😂😂

47 minutes ago, kila said:

That’s impressive 

with that distance and club combination you would expect someone to be low single figures

get working on your putting and you should see massive improvement 👍

I'm the same re no wind. Or see if the wind changes from the usual direction at my place it totally screws me :lol: 

Reversed wind direction is a nightmare at my course, one hole that is usually downwind has elevated terraced houses ~20 yards beyond the green. Easy to play a short and release approach downwind normally, but into the wind you have to club up or two... that sort of pressure gets the better of me at times, especially when there is a road to the right of the green!

My club selection is heavily influenced by how close the next tee, adjacent greens, roads etc are. I envy those who aren't fazed and go for it. I'd rather be in a bunker short of the green than have a chance of going slightly offline and finding myself in the above.

47 minutes ago, merrymac said:

That’s impressive with that distance and club combination you would expect someone to be low single figures get working on your putting and you should see massive improvement 👍

I have an old club in my house I sometimes swing in front of a mirror just to keep a feel for setup and swing plane but I don't have a putter as I've got a locker. It's more of an afterthought when it comes to practising too despite being half the game - I really should put more effort into it! 5-10 mins on the practise green with plane aids sounds so dire compared to smashing the ball though :( 

1 hour ago, kila said:

I have an old club in my house I sometimes swing in front of a mirror just to keep a feel for setup and swing plane but I don't have a putter as I've got a locker. It's more of an afterthought when it comes to practising too despite being half the game - I really should put more effort into it! 5-10 mins on the practise green with plane aids sounds so dire compared to smashing the ball though :( 

You obviously have talent take a bit of time and practise your putting and see it for the value it brings to your game

just as satisfying as smashing the ball to leave a long and tricky putt stone dead or hole a ten footer for birdie 

when you think back on your golf career far more satisfying to know you played to as

low a handicap as you could than smash the ball that’s gone in a second

11 hours ago, merrymac said:

You obviously have talent take a bit of time and practise your putting and see it for the value it brings to your game

just as satisfying as smashing the ball to leave a long and tricky putt stone dead or hole a ten footer for birdie 

when you think back on your golf career far more satisfying to know you played to as

low a handicap as you could than smash the ball that’s gone in a second

Is it worth getting a putter ‘fitted’ or is that not much of a thing? I know shaft lengths vary but the lie?

I should probably throw a bit money at a putter because it’s currently the cheapest club in my bag and has been for sometime. It’s a conventional Ping - nice and balanced but maybe I don’t know what I’m missing. 

How far you can hit the ball isn't a gauge of your handicap, for example 170yards par 3 that's a 7 iron for me and im a 18 handicap. Im a 18 because I can't putt for shit.

25 minutes ago, kila said:

Is it worth getting a putter ‘fitted’ or is that not much of a thing? I know shaft lengths vary but the lie?

I should probably throw a bit money at a putter because it’s currently the cheapest club in my bag and has been for sometime. It’s a conventional Ping - nice and balanced but maybe I don’t know what I’m missing. 

Absolutely get a putter fitting. Putters are now designed to suit certain types of stroke . Variable lofts now on putters and ones designed to suit straight back or inside the line strokes. When you think about it you make near 50% of shots on the green so it is THE most important club in your bag.

People spend fortunes on a driver that gives them an extra couple of yards off the tee, but are using a putter totally unsuited.

Go to a Pro with a "Sam Putt Lab" you might be surprised by the results.

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Absolutely get a putter fitting. Putters are now designed to suit certain types of stroke . Variable lofts now on putters and ones designed to suit straight back or inside the line strokes. When you think about it you make near 50% of shots on the green so it is THE most important club in your bag.

People spend fortunes on a driver that gives them an extra couple of yards off the tee, but are using a putter totally unsuited.

Go to a Pro with a "Sam Putt Lab" you might be surprised by the results.

Cheers mate 👍

2 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

How far you can hit the ball isn't a gauge of your handicap, for example 170yards par 3 that's a 7 iron for me and im a 18 handicap. Im a 18 because I can't putt for shit.

It's all mad comparisons, I am at off 11 now and would be a lot lower if I never bottled so many putts. My short game of chip and run is also very poor.

My 7 iron distance is 140yds.

My driver is barely over 200 yds.

Dont take this the wrong way, but the distances you are hitting is suggesting there other parts of the game needing attention, not just putting.

Possibly, course mananagement is a big problem. Going for the wrong shot.

Edited by Tommy Brown

37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

It's all mad comparisons, I am at off 11 now and would be a lot lower if I never bottled so many putts. My short game of chip and run is also very poor.

My 7 iron distance is 140yds.

My driver is barely over 200 yds.

Dont take this the wrong way, but the distances you are hitting is suggesting there other parts of the game needing attention, not just putting.

Possibly, course mananagement is a big problem. Going for the wrong shot.

Yeah you are right course management is certainly something I need to do better at, par 4s and I instantly pull out the driver which isn't always necessary and can leave me with yardages im not comfortable with. Anything less than 70 yards to the flag and I kind of panic, get caught in 2 mind, tell my self to do a bump and run but end up going at it with a 64 which can either look spectacular or make you look an idiot 😂

Edited by Section N Rules

5 hours ago, kila said:

100% get a putter fitted.

I went to the Sam Lab at American Golf and my putting since is night and day. They'd identified I putt with more of an arch swing so got fitted for a toe weighted, mallet putter. I decided on the Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m, was between that and the Odyssey O-Works Two Ball putter. 

Started playing golf in the middle of April and decided to got for a fitting for new irons at American Golf yesterday, ended up coming out with the Cobra Radspeed irons! Didn't want to spend too much but trying to get a second-hand set for a decent price/size considering I'm 6'5 was a nightmare. Didn't quite know what to expect with the fitting but the guy was great. He was telling me the new Titleist irons are brilliant and everyone gets on really well with them - then I rock up and have a nightmare with them! 😁

Went on to the Cobra's with an inch longer 90 gram stiff shaft and couldn't believe the difference. Always had quite a bad fade on my irons but was able to adjust my line so I could still hit fairways but these things flew straight as an arrow, even when I duffed the shot. Was firing about 165 yards with a 7 iron and it felt effortless. Took the plunge and now got to wait for them which isn't ideal considering I'm horrendously impatient when I buy things and don't get them straight away! Cobra have told American Golf 2 weeks but the shop told me up to 6 weeks just to cover themselves. Only went for 5-PW just now but might add a 4 and a gap wedge once I see what they're like on the course. 

Going to get booked in for a putter fitting in the next couple of weeks! 

Played Haddington today in the rain. It’s in really good condition. Played exactly to my handicap even after being +8 thru 3 😂 

my distances there were more normal than I said during the week since a wet parkland course was the complete opposite to a rock solid links course. My wedge play deserted me when it’s usually one of my strengths. Hardly leaving myself a makeable putt from within 80 yards. Didn’t adjust so was leaving everything on the wet fringe when on links it would’ve rolled out. 

That type of power doesn't make a player good or a low handicapper but it very much opens doors.  I've seen some eye bulging hitting by guys who never improve.  Sometimes there's no effort to harness and temper their power.  The one's who do inevitably become very low handicappers.  There's a natural glass ceiling for those of us with limited distance.

Give me power over a better short game any day of the week.  There are more shots to remove from your medal card with 40 or 50 yards of extra distance than better chipping and putting.  The distance indirectly aids the short game anyway.

Having a swipe with my 48" driver later.  Only hoping for 20 yards or so with what I hope is a better suiting shaft flex.  If it's carnage then so be it.  

Edited by Victorian

On 18/08/2021 at 14:10, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not for around three years. It was a decent enough wee course with some nice dogleg. I think it was 16 or 17 which was a longish par 3 from the back tee with a tiered green. 

Not sure of the history of the club to carry the Musselburgh name when it's basically the Pans! 😂 

Just back from playing it.

Pretty bland course for the most part, last 3 or 4 were decent holes though. Greens were like treacle. 

All in all, unlikely I'd return.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

That type of power doesn't make a player good or a low handicapper but it very much opens doors.  I've seen some eye bulging hitting by guys who never improve.  Sometimes there's no effort to harness and temper their power.  The one's who do inevitably become very low handicappers.  There's a natural glass ceiling for those of us with limited distance.

Give me power over a better short game any day of the week.  There are more shots to remove from your medal card with 40 or 50 yards of extra distance than better chipping and putting.  The distance indirectly aids the short game anyway.

Not for me my friend. 

Quite a few I know are either wayward or quite short off the tee but have an immaculate short game to allow them to maintain handicaps of 5 or less. 

I'm forever striving for a better short game as this will allow me to get even lower. Over the last couple of years, I've been bettering my ball flight which has vastly improved my distance control. This has been key to my scores improving. 

I managed 72 on the Kittocks today but with a sharper short game, it was easily a 68.

As Monty says, 70% of your shots will be from 70 yards and in. Better to invest in the best wedges and putter to suit your game than several hundreds of pounds on the latest driver technology. 

Samuel Camazzola

Just back from playing it.

Pretty bland course for the most part, last 3 or 4 were decent holes though. Greens were like treacle. 

All in all, unlikely I'd return.

I've only visited it once and can only really recall the doglegs and the par 3 towards the end. 

The condition was OK when I visited and it was a cheap round. Like you though, I've no burning desire to return. 

21 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've only visited it once and can only really recall the doglegs and the par 3 towards the end. 

The condition was OK when I visited and it was a cheap round. Like you though, I've no burning desire to return. 

I'm always left a bit bewildered by Edinburgh parkland courses when I play them. I know it's city prices but the value for money in comparison to what we've got in Fife is night and day.

Royal Musselburgh felt like a Fife Golf Trust course but it's an 800 quid membership 🤷‍♂️

Bit of a mixed bag with the driver.  2 or 3 good ones that were a bit longer.  2 or 3 drives that felt good but were no longer than normal.  Crucially nothing wild.  Think it will be a decent switch once I get played in with it.  Even 10 yards would be well worth it.  

Shit score because I seem to have become consistent at having one or two shitemare holes.  Great.

Samuel Camazzola
50 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm always left a bit bewildered by Edinburgh parkland courses when I play them. I know it's city prices but the value for money in comparison to what we've got in Fife is night and day.

Royal Musselburgh felt like a Fife Golf Trust course but it's an 800 quid membership 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn't part with that for there. Longniddry is similar and don't think the quality is justified. I think Duddingston was even more the last time I was down as a guest. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Wouldn't part with that for there. Longniddry is similar and don't think the quality is justified. I think Duddingston was even more the last time I was down as a guest. 

I liked Liberton and Broomieknowe, Liberton is usually quite a cheap green fee as well. 

53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I liked Liberton and Broomieknowe, Liberton is usually quite a cheap green fee as well. 

I played at Liberton last week £16 

Greens were excellent

Samuel Camazzola

Only played Broomie once many moons ago. 

Started my junior golf days at Libby! 😎 Nice wee place. 

36 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I played at Liberton last week £16 

Greens were excellent

Greens have been excellent every time I've played it, usually rapid as well.

Putter and driver re gripped from American golf on Saturday morning was in need of getting done 

My bank balance was done also after it 😂