• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon
On 19/06/2021 at 00:01, OBE said:

83 good stuff, but 36 holes in one day at Muirfield...oh ya! 

Afternoon was foursomes but I still ran out of steam, had just come back from a three round lads weekend away up north!!

Samuel Camazzola

St Andrews Links medley this week. Old, Jubilee, Eden and Strathtyrum - all in one day! 😳 

Partaking in a Longest Day Challenge for charity after doing one for the first time a couple of years ago. Looking forward to experiencing the Old for the first time. Not the back nine of the final round so much! 

Samuel Camazzola

Some finish from Rahm! Birdie, Birdie (both left to right sliders) to post - 6 and lead by one. Now up to Louis to do something in his last few holes to better it or at least force a playoff. 

Rory needs something to try and secure 3rd.

Had a couple of 0.1 cuts so far and had a decent 78 yesterday that would have been buffer under the old system.  I find myself with a 0.5 increase :(  Must have had a good score drop out of the 20 scores.

21 minutes ago, OBE said:

2021 Kilspindie club champion has now won it in 6 different decades...68 years young...:scenes: 

That's some achievement.

Can't say I've heard of him personally but found this with a google search.

Fifty years after landing the title for the first time, Bob Humble is the Kilspindie club champion, having now achieved the feat in six decades. The 72-year-old claimed the crown for the 21th time in total at the East Lothian club with a 7&6 win over Chris Stirling, the club captain, in the 36-hole final.

Edited by Jambo314

15 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

That's some achievement.

Can't say I've heard of him personally but found this with a google search.

Fifty years after landing the title for the first time, Bob Humble is the Kilspindie club champion, having now achieved the feat in six decades. The 72-year-old claimed the crown for the 21th time in total at the East Lothian club with a 7&6 win over Chris Stirling, the club captain, in the 36-hole final.

Sorry, 72 year old. 36 holes on Sat also....amazing achievement Bob!

Still a great achievement but a summer condition Kilspindie is a bit of a toy town course length wise.  Plus there's not likely to be a great wealth of very low handicappers there.  Brilliant thing though.

It's a lovely course.. but very short. I had a 63 scratch on there a couple of years ago. Drove 6 of the par 4s. Also had 2 bogeys... 

Samuel Camazzola

Very impressive from Old Bob!

It seems that the winter play off the fairway mats has kept his swing ticking over for all seasons. 

:peepwall:

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Still a great achievement but a summer condition Kilspindie is a bit of a toy town course length wise.  Plus there's not likely to be a great wealth of very low handicappers there.  Brilliant thing though.

Kilspindie has an abundance of very low handicappers, why wouldn't it, it's just toy town length.

Very low, I hope you mean 3 and under?

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Kilspindie has an abundance of very low handicappers, why wouldn't it, it's just toy town length.

Very low, I hope you mean 3 and under?

I was thinking more along the lines of minus players (+ h/cs under the old system) and 1s and 2s.  Most clubs have a fair few in this bracket.  My place currently has about 20 or so.  

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I was thinking more along the lines of minus players (+ h/cs under the old system) and 1s and 2s.  Most clubs have a fair few in this bracket.  My place currently has about 20 or so.  

Aye, same here, might be talking about the same + players. When your course is covered in glaur in the winter, their wealth may afford them a membership at Kilspindie also...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It's a lovely course.. but very short. I had a 63 scratch on there a couple of years ago. Drove 6 of the par 4s. Also had 2 bogeys... 

Only 6 par 4's driven, off your handicap...wow! Did you forget to take the heid cover of the driver?...:D

Edited by OBE

18 hours ago, kila said:

US Open - whose caddie was away for a shite or something there so the pro was carrying his clubs round the hole?! :laugh:

JT

7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Aye, same here, might be talking about the same + players. When your course is covered in glaur in the winter, their wealth may afford them a membership at Kilspindie also...:thumbsup:

It's a nice track anyway.  

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Only 6 par 4's driven, off your handicap...wow! Did you forget to take the heid cover of the driver?...:D

Missed a few just left and just right of the green ..

6 hours ago, OBE said:

Sorry, 72 year old. 36 holes on Sat also....amazing achievement Bob!

Fantastic achievement by Bob.

Absolute top player and a gentleman,unbelievable to keep up that standard for so long, Kilspindie will never see an achievement like that bettered.

Played him a few times over the years in the East Lothian Winter League, and was always very enjoyable to play against.(win or mostly lose)😬

12 hours ago, merrymac said:

Fantastic achievement by Bob.

Absolute top player and a gentleman,unbelievable to keep up that standard for so long, Kilspindie will never see an achievement like that bettered.

Played him a few times over the years in the East Lothian Winter League, and was always very enjoyable to play against.(win or mostly lose)😬

Yes, the guy is a tribute to his second name...well said, Twa-dugs...:thumbsup:

@spirt of 98

I see Prestonfield have announced their new head greenkeeper and it's Shaun from Mortonhall. Sounds like he already has some ideas on things to change/tweak and he'll get the support to do it.

Do you reckon he's left because the CEO at Mortonhall calls all the shots and the greenkeepers are being shackled? Will be interesting to see how Prestonfield evolves because the parkland holes have a lot of potential and the last few years or so it's been a little bland with just short rough and trees. Since the two Mortonhall guys got seconded earlier this year, we've seen the course look better and have more bite already.

Have you heard if Mortonhall are recruiting new greenkeepers? Have any of the others packed it in too or are things settled down now?

1 minute ago, kila said:

@spirt of 98

I see Prestonfield have announced their new head greenkeeper and it's Shaun from Mortonhall. Sounds like he already has some ideas on things to change/tweak and he'll get the support to do it.

Do you reckon he's left because the CEO at Mortonhall calls all the shots and the greenkeepers are being shackled? Will be interesting to see how Prestonfield evolves because the parkland holes have a lot of potential and the last few years or so it's been a little bland with just short rough and trees. Since the two Mortonhall guys got seconded earlier this year, we've seen the course look better and have more bite already.

Have you heard if Mortonhall are recruiting new greenkeepers? Have any of the others packed it in too or are things settled down now?

Played in the Mortonhall senior open yesterday, and the course is very poor by their standards.

First green is destroyed , been on a temp all year.Rest of the course is very scruffy in places with lots, and i mean lots of GUR.

On the day they were blaming ice damage over the winter, but another member i spoke to at another time,was blaming the new CEO sticking his nose in.

Cant think the membership are happy with the way things are.

spirt of 98
2 hours ago, kila said:

@spirt of 98

I’ve heard that the new CEO loaned the two greenskeepers to Prestonfield with a view to them going permanent as they boys that you got were looking to progress and they were down the pecking order and would never have made head greenskeeper or no 2 as Boab is now. 

3 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I’ve heard that the new CEO loaned the two greenskeepers to Prestonfield with a view to them going permanent as they boys that you got were looking to progress and they were down the pecking order and would never have made head greenskeeper or no 2 as Boab is now. 

I see - surprised he let them go on secondment while Mortonhall was in a state!

spirt of 98
6 minutes ago, kila said:

I see - surprised he let them go on secondment while Mortonhall was in a state!

Mortonhall is now looking brilliant. The greens are near perfect apart from the 1st that they now admit they should have relayed. They are planning a new green with fans under the green like Saw Grass.

Reading between the line they have a lot of Greenskeepers and could afford to lose two and replace them with young lads on low wages. He’s no daft the new CEO. 

Next year will be a big year as if it’s rubbish again folk will go mental. 

Edited by spirt of 98

36 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Mortonhall is now looking brilliant. The greens are near perfect apart from the 1st that they now admit they should have relayed. They are planning a new green with fans under the green like Saw Grass.

Reading between the line they have a lot of Greenskeepers and could afford to lose two and replace them with young lads on low wages. He’s no daft the new CEO. 

Next year will be a big year as if it’s rubbish again folk will go mental. 

Sorry bud cant agree with that. Played the senior open yesterday and its nowhere like the usual standard which is excellent.

Masses of patched areas on or around the greens which were slow compared to the usual lightening smooth greens,and they must have used a lot of tins of paint to mark off the GUR areas!

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Mortonhall, but to call it brilliant is a long way from the actual experience. The other two in my group were of the same opinion by the way.

spirt of 98
15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sorry bud cant agree with that. Played the senior open yesterday and its nowhere like the usual standard which is excellent.

Masses of patched areas on or around the greens which were slow compared to the usual lightening smooth greens,and they must have used a lot of tins of paint to mark off the GUR areas!

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Mortonhall, but to call it brilliant is a long way from the actual experience. The other two in my group were of the same opinion by the way.

Suppose I must have lowered my standards. Greens are fast and smooth again. Odd wee patches I agree. The areas around the greens the GUR is poor I agree not sure why no work has been done to address these areas. 

10 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Suppose I must have lowered my standards. Greens are fast and smooth again. Odd wee patches I agree. The areas around the greens the GUR is poor I agree not sure why no work has been done to address these areas. 

10 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

I really hope things improve MHall is one of my favourite tracks

i agree re GUR you would think if they had reseeded you would be seeing some improvement by now given the good spell of weather

anyway hope it’s back to normal high standard soon 👍

I was up at Royal Musselburgh last night, that's in pretty decent nick, although the greens had been cored which I thought was strange for near July, the worst part of the course was the tees, it can't he that hard to make tees absolutely flat?  Nice setting though, bunkers a plenty and in dangerous places.

There's always a sprinkle of unwelcome-ness around the place though!

4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I was up at Royal Musselburgh last night, that's in pretty decent nick, although the greens had been cored which I thought was strange for near July, the worst part of the course was the tees, it can't he that hard to make tees absolutely flat?  Nice setting though, bunkers a plenty and in dangerous places.

There's always a sprinkle of unwelcome-ness around the place though!

Royal Musselburgh in name only...you're in The Pans.:D

Edited by OBE

7 hours ago, OBE said:

Royal Musselburgh in name only...you're in The Pans.:D

Hahaha jeez and didnt we know it! And the drive through Wallyford was also just as sobering!!

Finally getting back in my groove after a torrid year with injuries. Net -8 today following a net -6 last weekend in bounce games. Looking forward to the disappointment of  messing up that form in a medal. :lol:

On 19/06/2021 at 12:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

I might be interested, both my mate and I. I'll message him and let you know.

On 18/06/2021 at 16:07, Bigsmak said:

I have a golf trip planned at the end of Aug to Slaley Hall in Northumberland - 

We booked for 16 to go away but 4 pulled out.  Does anyone fancy joining?  

Its a great deal - £215 a head for 2 nights stay, Dinner and Breakfast and 3 rounds of golf - 

Sun 29th Aug - 13:24 first tee off - to  Tuesday and we are playing at 09:30. 

We did this a few years ago and it was a good laugh..  Its a mix of handicaps from 6 - 24

https://www.slaleyhallhotel.com/golf/

Did you get in touch with your mate? 

Thanks

Finally touching the 70s again after a mid to high 80s run the last few weeks or so. Been working on my wrist hinge and feeling a pivot point with the club more balanced/set at the top ready to be unleashed rather than trying to hold off a hook.

The wind today though was a nightmare, seemed to be gusting up to 30mph at one point from all directions. Not fun when there's a houses a mere 20 yards beyond one of the greens :ninja:

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Finally getting back in my groove after a torrid year with injuries. Net -8 today following a net -6 last weekend in bounce games. Looking forward to the disappointment of  messing up that form in a medal. :lol:

gfPh2lYN0l63AQn6QjB0TbKIeDwTXA4aSo=

Time to get those general play scores in before the handicap committee hunt you down. 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

gfPh2lYN0l63AQn6QjB0TbKIeDwTXA4aSo=

Time to get those general play scores in before the handicap committee hunt you down. 

I'll no doubt buckle again when I know my score is actually counting for something!

The Mighty Thor

Medal this morning, which was a thoroughly miserable experience. Pishing rain, 25mph north wind and rough up to your knees. ☹

On 23/06/2021 at 22:34, spirt of 98 said:

Honestly think it might be worth calling time of death on that first green. The wait for its return feels like the painful wait for Steven Naismith to return from injury. Feels like it’s been “2 weeks away” since March. What a load of pish.

Do agree that the other greens are getting there now. Several areas around the course could do with a good tidy up though.

Should be decent prospects ahead for the handicap.  I've weathered the storm a bit of a bunch of counting scores dropping off.  Backfilled them with 4 good enough scores that all count for best 8.  After another couple of counting scores go,  there's good backfilling scores to replace them.  Then I'll have 11 free hits out of 13 to come.  :)

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Net -5 today at Merchants. First time playing there, some cracking views but some of those hills burst me!

I love that course.  The back 9 can be blow torched in the summer if you're playing well.  Had an eagle putt at the last for 29 back one time.  Didn't get it.  

Next time round there I think I scored 90.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I love that course.  The back 9 can be blow torched in the summer if you're playing well.  Had an eagle putt at the last for 29 back one time.  Didn't get it.  

Next time round there I think I scored 90.

Yeah very scorable back 9. I was back in 38 with 5 pars on the card.

Think it's the least I've ever used my driver on a course. The slopes make it testing though without it being long. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah very scorable back 9. I was back in 38 with 5 pars on the card.

Think it's the least I've ever used my driver on a course. The slopes make it testing though without it being long. 

A longer hitter wouldn't use a driver much at all but more moderate hitters could still hit a good few,  albeit if they're quite straight.  Hitting the green at the 3-in-a-row par 3s at the start of the back 9 is the key there.  Maybe make 3 par 3s or even a birdie.  There's still another few 3s you can get after that.  Or stray a bit and all those 3s become 5s and 6s.

spirt of 98
On 26/06/2021 at 21:16, RDSK said:

Honestly think it might be worth calling time of death on that first green. The wait for its return feels like the painful wait for Steven Naismith to return from injury. Feels like it’s been “2 weeks away” since March. What a load of pish.

Do agree that the other greens are getting there now. Several areas around the course could do with a good tidy up though.

Aye nearly July and still on a winter green. Could have relaid it and be back on it but they choose to try and get it to grow. 

I think it’s now a case if they won’t accept they were wrong and they’ll get it back on end of July and say see told you it would come back. Members should get a refund as they have been provided an inferior product. 

On 21/06/2021 at 09:56, OBE said:

2021 Kilspindie club champion has now won it in 6 different decades...68 years young...:scenes: 

How can a 68 year old play 36 holes in a day?!  Some achievement alone.

Chris Stirling - what a guy btw, he won't think this, but when a club needs a captain during a tough time like covid, then you want it to be Chris.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

How can a 68 year old play 36 holes in a day?!  Some achievement alone.

Chris Stirling - what a guy btw, he won't think this, but when a club needs a captain during a tough time like covid, then you want it to be Chris.

It gets better, quarter final & semi on the Sat, 36 hole final on the Sun, but only needed 30 to dispatch Chris at 72 years young...