• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spirt of 98
On 04/06/2021 at 23:08, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hopefully they get on top of the issues. 

If you're looking to get back to Dumbarnie soon, did you see that the local rates are only available for up to three weeks in advance. They are obviously looking to make the best times available for the non Scottish resident market. I won't be surprised if the offer rates are removed from the peak season next year and beyond (as long as no international travel restrictions apply). 

It’s no that good anyway. Much prefer Kingsbarns. 

spirt of 98
On 04/06/2021 at 18:52, kila said:

Anyone played Mortonhall recently?

I am a member at Mortonhall. First green is ruined. Rest of course very poor. They have a new CEO who rolled into town with a big fanfare and basically told everyone the sun shines out his ochie. Fast forward to year 2 the course is a wreck and he can be found in the bar gibbering away to anyone who will listen that the soil profile is good. 

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Rather just appreciate Lexi Thompson both for her golf and photoshoots 🙃

I take it back after her tee shot on the third 😮

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

It’s no that good anyway. Much prefer Kingsbarns. 

I have to disagree. It's very good and will only get better - especially when the second course opens. 

The course is very playable for all abilities and can't say there is a weak hole on the track. On one of the occasions I played, the wind was 25 - 30mph throughout and it became a different test all together. 

It's hosting the ladies Scottish Open soon which is impressive since its only been open a year. Expect it to secure many other events soon (where ironically, it could nudge Kingsbarns  out of one of the Dunhill slots.) 

2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

I am a member at Mortonhall. First green is ruined. Rest of course very poor. They have a new CEO who rolled into town with a big fanfare and basically told everyone the sun shines out his ochie. Fast forward to year 2 the course is a wreck and he can be found in the bar gibbering away to anyone who will listen that the soil profile is good. 

Sad to hear .playing there in an oldies open in a few weeks condition was always top class . Change of green keeper as well recently?

2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

:laugh:

Prestonfield's head greenkeeper retired a few months ago and his son left too, not sure if the others are returning or not. Apparently the Mortonhall head greenkeeper (or one of them anyway) is a member of Prestonfield? He and another are currently on secondment helping maintain the course (and bringing their own machines too) while the club recruits some new ones.

And wow, the course is fantastic condition, probably the best I've played it anyway. A few different cuts of rough, fairways brought in a bit and beautifully lined, greens with perimeter fringes and lined false fronts. No disrespect to the previous head greenkeeper and crew but the job the two Mortonhall boys have done is quite incredible the last few months or so.

Anyway hearing your story helped make sense of what's going on at Mortonhall that two greenkeepers can go on secondment despite your course being in an horrendous state. I guess I should say thanks? ;) 

hmfc_liam06

The vast majority of courses are struggling a wee bit with the conditions caused by the winter. Our greens were pretty slow and bumpy for quite some time there but since the heat has come, they're playing so much better. We've also hired another greenkeeper (one of your old boys @Samuel Camazzola from Balbirnie) and we're noticing a huge difference already.

I've played around 10 courses or so in the last 6 weeks, every single one had at least one condition issue - mostly greens.

Best greens I've played so far this year is King James up in Perth.

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

A couple of St. Fillans' were the same. Or were a couple of weeks ago. Thought they'd have been worse given the weather.

Handy having an ex-Gleneagles green keeper there. He knows his onions. When I'm up in September, I'd expect them to be like bowling greens.

We have an agency come in now and then and the rep is an ex-Gleneagles head greenkeeper so that definitely helps us too.

Some folk just need to chill out and realise that everyone is fighting against it just now. That spell of weather from December to end of May was horrendous.

jack D and coke
On 30/05/2021 at 00:10, Carl Weathers said:

As someone else mentioned, golfclubs4cash is good.

I also seen someone pick up a full Calloway set from Costco for around £400 (not sure if they have them up here though)

Was up there a few weeks ago for the first time and was pretty surprised at the prices for older clubs tbh. Some of them not even in great condition..I doubt I’ll be back there. 
I bought a Ping G9 driver and they didn’t even offer me a cover with it until I asked then produced an old ragged cover. £250 for an old driver that had a proper shan worn grip on it and not in great condition imo. Not sure why I bought it but it went back within a couple of days as I came to my senses. 
Id rather pay a little extra for brand new tbh. 
Ordered a new set of PXG irons after seeing 2nd hand Mizuno MP20’s (for almost same price as new up there. 

hmfc_liam06

Down to the lowest I've ever been at 9.7. Had a great week there with 4 cutting scores in a row. 

Game feels like it's getting there...

The Gorgie

Finally managed to break 90. After a few rounds of being close 93, 91, 90 i finally managed an 89. The problem I have is I always have one truly terrible hole that ruins the card every time. 10 on a par 5 today, If i can stop doing that I'd be really happy with my game.

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

Finally managed to break 90. After a few rounds of being close 93, 91, 90 i finally managed an 89. The problem I have is I always have one truly terrible hole that ruins the card every time. 10 on a par 5 today, If i can stop doing that I'd be really happy with my game.

18 holes without a wee disaster in there somewhere is quite tricky to do imo... I’m usually around low 80’s and occasionally high 70’s but it can go pete tong....I had two 9’s the other day in my club championship qualifier. Lost two balls on two separate holes. It’s hard to not lose the plot sometimes but I should also take my own advice here and not dwell on it is the answer :lol: 

On 07/06/2021 at 08:49, hmfc_liam06 said:

The vast majority of courses are struggling a wee bit with the conditions caused by the winter. Our greens were pretty slow and bumpy for quite some time there but since the heat has come, they're playing so much better. We've also hired another greenkeeper (one of your old boys @Samuel Camazzola from Balbirnie) and we're noticing a huge difference already.

I've played around 10 courses or so in the last 6 weeks, every single one had at least one condition issue - mostly greens.

Best greens I've played so far this year is King James up in Perth.

What's King James like I have really wanted to play this and never got round to do so. It's my dads birthday this weekend fancy taking him for a round somewhere we haven't played before? 

hmfc_liam06
9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What's King James like I have really wanted to play this and never got round to do so. It's my dads birthday this weekend fancy taking him for a round somewhere we haven't played before? 

Really nice course. Quite flat, very tree lined.

Only real negative is getting there. You have to park in the public car park and then walk across the rail bridge then down to the course, it's about a 10 minute walk. I'd advise taking a carry bag then hiring a pull trolley when there as it's a pain in the arse taking the trolley on the bridge.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Really nice course. Quite flat, very tree lined.

Only real negative is getting there. You have to park in the public car park and then walk across the rail bridge then down to the course, it's about a 10 minute walk. I'd advise taking a carry bag then hiring a pull trolley when there as it's a pain in the arse taking the trolley on the bridge.

I like a flat course getting sick of the hilly courses out of breath before you take the shot haha. 👍

That's a bit of a pain with the walk to the course I'm going to have a look online now at it. Always fancied it. 

Last medal I had one of my all too regular Jekyl & Hyde rounds.  Terrible going out and on the charge coming back.  Seems to be all the time now.  Had three putts of about 4-6 feet  not been missed coming back,  I would have been back in 31.  To be fair I drained 3 long ones in a row.  But I can't hope to have a score unless I can manage to get out in about 39 or something.  43 is no good.

Edited by Victorian

Played KingHorn at Burnt island last night. 

What a lovely wee course. Short and tight with some friends being very close to tees and other fairways. But it's on great nick, and quite charming.  

Greens were in great condition and putting was true. Will definitely be back

Summer meeting tomorrow at Gullane. It's 2 rounds over no.1 and no.2.  qualifying for the club champs etc.  

I'll be sore on Sunday.. And probably Monday through Thursday. 

Carl Weathers

I'm pretty new to golf and wondered what the etiquette is for losing balls when you are just our for a practice game/bit of fun?

I was just dropping a ball roughly where I lost it and added a 1 shot penalty but see now that I should rehit from where the original shot was hit. I'm worried that will slow play. I just read something about hitting a provisional ball - is that standard practice?

Edit: I read a link that suggested it's acceptable for newbies to drop where the ball was lost but then to add 2 shots. Does that make more sense?

Cheers

Edited by Carl Weathers

23 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I'm pretty new to golf and wondered what the etiquette is for losing balls when you are just our for a practice game/bit of fun?

I was just dropping a ball roughly where I lost it and added a 1 shot penalty but see now that I should rehit from where the original shot was hit. I'm worried that will slow play. I just read something about hitting a provisional ball - is that standard practice?

Edit: I read a link that suggested it's acceptable for newbies to drop where the ball was lost but then to add 2 shots. Does that make more sense?

Cheers

Hi mate, welcome to golf.

In competition you must hit another shot from where you played the lost ball and add a penalty shot. Hitting a provisional ball happens when you think that your first shot has a good chance of being lost, and it will save the time of having to return to the original spot after searching.

The R&A introduced a new rule last year which allows you to drop a ball on the fairway opposite (level with) where you thought the lost ball finished), and add 2 strokes. This though is an optional rule, which your golf club may or may not allow in competition.

In a bounce game you can do whatever you like , in agreement with your playing partner, although the 2 shot rule above is probably the most commonly used.

There are some good explanetory rules videos  on various subjects, try You Tube

Good luck with your golf in future

MM

Carl Weathers
15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi mate, welcome to golf.

In competition you must hit another shot from where you played the lost ball and add a penalty shot. Hitting a provisional ball happens when you think that your first shot has a good chance of being lost, and it will save the time of having to return to the original spot after searching.

The R&A introduced a new rule last year which allows you to drop a ball on the fairway opposite (level with) where you thought the lost ball finished), and add 2 strokes. This though is an optional rule, which your golf club may or may not allow in competition.

In a bounce game you can do whatever you like , in agreement with your playing partner, although the 2 shot rule above is probably the most commonly used.

There are some good explanetory rules videos  on various subjects, try You Tube

Good luck with your golf in future

MM

Thanks for the explanation. I need to stop losing so many balls!

13 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

No problem

Welcome to the lost ball club! it has a large membership😂

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I have never bought new golf balls (though I did get some yellow lake balls a year ago when golf resumed under restrictions). I know the best spots to look if it's quiet when there's been a medal or something on prior and often end up with a collection of barely used Pro V1's. Which of course I end up losing myself.

The 2 shot penalty for dropping onto the fairway is a good one to go with and really helps speed up play for normal rounds and the private sweeps. During competition play I always hit a provisional if I'm in any doubt. It's something that could be encouraged more during competition play, especially with the influx of new golfers during the pandemic who are still learning the rules.

Stableford scoring also helps with lost balls because if you can no longer score a point on a hole then you just pick it up and move on.

Anyone played Kelso golf course? Is it a decent course? My home course is closed for the weekend for the Stephen Gallagher tournament so giving kelso a try out.

Carl Weathers
2 hours ago, kila said:

I have never bought new golf balls (though I did get some yellow lake balls a year ago when golf resumed under restrictions). I know the best spots to look if it's quiet when there's been a medal or something on prior and often end up with a collection of barely used Pro V1's. Which of course I end up losing myself.

The 2 shot penalty for dropping onto the fairway is a good one to go with and really helps speed up play for normal rounds and the private sweeps. During competition play I always hit a provisional if I'm in any doubt. It's something that could be encouraged more during competition play, especially with the influx of new golfers during the pandemic who are still learning the rules.

Stableford scoring also helps with lost balls because if you can no longer score a point on a hole then you just pick it up and move on.

Appreciate that, cheers. 

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

Anyone played Kelso golf course? Is it a decent course? My home course is closed for the weekend for the Stephen Gallagher tournament so giving kelso a try out.

Meh...

Hirsel would be better. Unless that's your course :lol:

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Meh...

Hirsel would be better. Unless that's your course :lol:

Nah my course is Castle Park. I hear kelso is pretty flat which my old man will be happy about 😂

Swahili Jambo

In my day, I thought I was a golfer (72 Braids 1 was my best), until I played Southerness, my that was an eye opener!!!

hmfc_liam06

Anyone played The Machrie? They have a cracker of an open in September. £100 for 3 rounds, 1 practice and 2 competitive rounds.

Thinking about it...

7 hours ago, Swahili Jambo said:

In my day, I thought I was a golfer (72 Braids 1 was my best), until I played Southerness, my that was an eye opener!!!

72 'up the hill' is not a bad effort though.  It might be very short but you need to be accurate and some of the greens on the back 9 are challenging.  Nothing wrong with a 72 up there.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're hosting a four man scramble with a fourball at Dumbarnie as top prize. Some other cracking prizes, fourball at Lundin Links, Auchterarder plus a few more. Powakaddy trolley up for grabs for nearest pin at 9th.

https://www.facebook.com/lochgellygolfclub

Good luck with that mate, top effort.

That will draw (how will I put it?) the questionables 😳 from far and wide.

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Good luck with that mate, top effort.

That will draw (how will I put it?) the questionables 😳 from far and wide.

Yeah no doubt, we'll be doing our best to have marshalls patrolling the course but cheats gonna cheat!

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah no doubt, we'll be doing our best to have marshalls patrolling the course but cheats gonna cheat!

Honestly stopped playing scrambles as it was embarrassing how the same people were winning event after event.

They have no shame obviously. 

I have played a couple of two man scrambles which are easier to monitor, and harder to cheat in.

Maybe worth a thought for the future.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're hosting a four man scramble with a fourball at Dumbarnie as top prize. Some other cracking prizes, fourball at Lundin Links, Auchterarder plus a few more. Powakaddy trolley up for grabs for nearest pin at 9th.

https://www.facebook.com/lochgellygolfclub

Hi Liam. Is it a shotgun or just a case of seeking a tee time? 

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hi Liam. Is it a shotgun or just a case of seeking a tee time? 

Just book a time mate.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. Is the club on BRS? 

Yeah, or the link to the Opens page is found under Visitors on our website 👍

Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah, or the link to the Opens page is found under Visitors on our website 👍

Great, cheers. 👍 

Gives us time to manipulate the handicaps and hopefully score a net 49. 👀😂

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great, cheers. 👍 

Gives us time to manipulate the handicaps and hopefully score a net 49. 👀😂

Haha you're laughing but 49 won't be far off the winning score :lol:

Disser Pointon

36 holes at Muirfield yesterday, what a day for it. Rough was brutal, managed 83 without losing a ball in the morning but the afternoon was a different game altogether!

I have a golf trip planned at the end of Aug to Slaley Hall in Northumberland - 

We booked for 16 to go away but 4 pulled out.  Does anyone fancy joining?  

Its a great deal - £215 a head for 2 nights stay, Dinner and Breakfast and 3 rounds of golf - 

Sun 29th Aug - 13:24 first tee off - to  Tuesday and we are playing at 09:30. 

We did this a few years ago and it was a good laugh..  Its a mix of handicaps from 6 - 24

https://www.slaleyhallhotel.com/golf/

13 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

36 holes at Muirfield yesterday, what a day for it. Rough was brutal, managed 83 without losing a ball in the morning but the afternoon was a different game altogether!

83 good stuff, but 36 holes in one day at Muirfield...oh ya! 

hmfc_liam06
20 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I have a golf trip planned at the end of Aug to Slaley Hall in Northumberland - 

We booked for 16 to go away but 4 pulled out.  Does anyone fancy joining?  

Its a great deal - £215 a head for 2 nights stay, Dinner and Breakfast and 3 rounds of golf - 

Sun 29th Aug - 13:24 first tee off - to  Tuesday and we are playing at 09:30. 

We did this a few years ago and it was a good laugh..  Its a mix of handicaps from 6 - 24

https://www.slaleyhallhotel.com/golf/

I might be interested, both my mate and I. I'll message him and let you know.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I might be interested, both my mate and I. I'll message him and let you know.

That would be great

13 hours ago, Irufushi said:

starts in 5 mins if anyone has nothing to do. 

I missed this as I got a late tee time today but seen the boy was 4dn early on and was 8 dn after 16. Somehow he won on the 2nd extra hole after still being 4dn with 4 to play 🤣. Unreal.