Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Thinking of a wee trip to Spey Valley next week.

Was going to play Trump until I seen that their generous Scottish rate is now just £10 or so cheaper than the full rate.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that sure we're going to have proper summer course conditions this year but looking forward to it if it happens.  Bit of run.  Firm ground with a nice bit of dry grass covering.  Firm, pacey greens.  The kind of golf you look forward to all winter.

hmfc_liam06
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not that sure we're going to have proper summer course conditions this year but looking forward to it if it happens.  Bit of run.  Firm ground with a nice bit of dry grass covering.  Firm, pacey greens.  The kind of golf you look forward to all winter.

I know my place are around 4 weeks behind, in terms of growth, coverage, soil temp etc.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Thinking of a wee trip to Spey Valley next week.

Was going to play Trump until I seen that their generous Scottish rate is now just £10 or so cheaper than the full rate.

Great price. Is it on their webpage? 

Nice trek between 1st green to 2nd tee and again 17th green to 18th tee. 😬😳😁

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Aye I got myself booked in for 12.45 on Saturday looking forward to it. 

Will try get tickets at 5pm for the Scottish open . Doubt i'll be lucky to get one but if I don't try I will never know. With last years open without fans that was  the first one I never went to in the last 6 

Further promo from them today regarding bank holiday weekend. Juniors play free with an adult booking. 

Forecast for next week looks good, some heat and blue skies at last. Hopefully get another 15-20 yards run off the tee too.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great price. Is it on their webpage? 

Nice trek between 1st green to 2nd tee and again 17th green to 18th tee. 😬😳😁

£40 for Spey Valley, 9am tee. Hired a buggy as well so £60 each for our day.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, kila said:

Forecast for next week looks good, some heat and blue skies at last. Hopefully get another 15-20 yards run off the tee too.

Played my home course for the first time in a week or so, place is absolutely soaking, going to need a good couple of weeks of warm dry weather.

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Enjoy. The buggy will reduce the times between greens and tees mentioned above. 

Some cracking holes. 1 is a nice opener. I think it's 7 or 8 which is a sharp dogleg then 16 is a par 3 over water. 

I doubt anyone will have beaten Koepka's course record in recent years. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Enjoy. The buggy will reduce the times between greens and tees mentioned above. 

Some cracking holes. 1 is a nice opener. I think it's 7 or 8 which is a sharp dogleg then 16 is a par 3 over water. 

I doubt anyone will have beaten Koepka's course record in recent years. 

Should be good, looking forward to it.

Thinking of playing another course later in the day, maybe stop by Blair Athol, 9 holer.

2 hours ago, kila said:

Probably get another 10 yard carry in the warm,  less dense air.  20 yards of run.  That 30 yards completely changes my prospects.  Probably worth 4 or 5 shots in a medal. 

I'll probably start missing all the clutch putts I hole.

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Should be good, looking forward to it.

Thinking of playing another course later in the day, maybe stop by Blair Athol, 9 holer.

Macdonald Hotels had a 9 hole course (Dalfaber) as part of the country club just around the corner from Spey Valley. Not sure if it's still there though. 

Spey Valley were also constructing a 9 hole Academy Course when I was last there but again, not seen any emails from them promoting it. 

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A wee bit of advice for Spey Valley. Wearing shorts or long strides, use an insect repellent. 3 of our group of 24 picked up ticks. The thick heather/gorse just of the fairways is where you'll be susceptible. Or you could just keep it on the cut"n"prepared...:thumbs_up:

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, OBE said:

A wee bit of advice for Spey Valley. Wearing shorts or long strides, use an insect repellent. 3 of our group of 24 picked up ticks. The thick heather/gorse just of the fairways is where you'll be susceptible. Or you could just keep it on the cut"n"prepared...:thumbs_up:

Going by the forecast it'll be shorts so thanks for the advice!

I went onto my ShotScope today to download the Dalmahoy West course as I am playing there this evening.  Haven't played if for ages and it seems like a nice day.  So I thought I would look at my stats! 

I've played 2 rounds this year and only hit my 3 iron once! Shows what a little bit of wind does to your game! 

golf P average

Fancy taking golf up again, never swung a club for about 10yrs, got the clubs out this morning and rusted and straight into bin.

Where is the best cheapest place to get a good set of clubs?

Not looking for top range but something that won't shame me on the course.

William H. Bonney
13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Fancy taking golf up again, never swung a club for about 10yrs, got the clubs out this morning and rusted and straight into bin.

I was in American golf at the braids last week and noticed they had 2nd clubs for sale. Maybe worth a look. 

Samuel Camazzola

As I've not had much of an opportunity to play in many comps and medals, decided to play a general play round to post a score. Aim was to get some scores in to provide a more accurate WHI reflective of current form. Ended up with a cut! 😂 

+3 which included a double and two needless three putts. Could have been a far better score. Will see what next few rounds bring as I'll have two contributing scores dropping off soon. 🏌️ 

On 28/05/2021 at 10:58, hmfc_liam06 said:

Going by the forecast it'll be shorts so thanks for the advice!

Take plenty balls 😂 I wouldn’t bother looking for it in that heather some of its above knee height. 

great course though.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Second hand clubs are a good way to go if you want better quality ones without the cost. I got my Titleist blades second hand but still in good enough nick (£220 via Gumtree).

If you are serious about getting into it again and play regularly, you're better spending money on better stuff now (even if used) than to throw a couple of hundred away on a shiny new set of cheapie irons that you'll want to replace within a season.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Take plenty balls 😂 I wouldn’t bother looking for it in that heather some of its above knee height. 

great course though.

Is it punishing just now aye? Thankfully I'm driving pretty straight just now...

...why did I have to say that :lol:

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Gambo said:

Clubs 4 cash at Loanhead.

Speak to Rob. He's a club fitter and they'll find something that suits 

Walked off Charleton after 13 so busy and pace of play was the worst I’ve seen in my 15 years of playing golf . There was some massive club outing all in fancy dress and beving. Finished hole 13 went to tee off there was a 4 ball sitting on the tee waiting to hit 3 ball waiting on them a boy on his own then us just over 3hours to play 13 holes . Wasn’t impressed in the fairways and greens . The greens were to heavy and thick . 

Carl Weathers
12 hours ago, Gambo said:

As someone else mentioned, golfclubs4cash is good.

I also seen someone pick up a full Calloway set from Costco for around £400 (not sure if they have them up here though)

hmfc_liam06
14 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Walked off Charleton after 13 so busy and pace of play was the worst I’ve seen in my 15 years of playing golf . There was some massive club outing all in fancy dress and beving. Finished hole 13 went to tee off there was a 4 ball sitting on the tee waiting to hit 3 ball waiting on them a boy on his own then us just over 3hours to play 13 holes . Wasn’t impressed in the fairways and greens . The greens were to heavy and thick . 

Sounds about right for Charleton. Didn't want to say much before your round, but it's not one of my favourite places to play golf. Good layout but condition isn't that great, greens are always slow.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sounds about right for Charleton. Didn't want to say much before your round, but it's not one of my favourite places to play golf. Good layout but condition isn't that great, greens are always slow.

I played there twice about 4/5 years ago and we enjoyed it . Yesterday was a joke pace of play was the worst I’ve ever seen cannot enjoy it cause your pissed off waiting 5/10 mins to hit a shot . Been offered a 2 4 1 to return later on in the summer no going to take them up with their offer.

Does that Edinburgh Golf scheme still exist? I recall years ago, members of one course could play another James Braid course for a £10. I used it a few times, Torphin was a fun change from my usual circuit but after a few clubs died I didn't hear any more of it.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Now this is more like it. About time they bodies catered for those who've fell through the cracks, for one reason or another.

BBC News - New handicap scheme for non-members a 'game changer' - Lawrie
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57341294

Hopefully the 'game changer' is it stops the bandits who appear at outings claiming their handicap is about 24 because the only play a handful of times per year. Said bandits end up scoring about 46 points! 

3 hours ago, kila said:

Does that Edinburgh Golf scheme still exist? I recall years ago, members of one course could play another James Braid course for a £10. I used it a few times, Torphin was a fun change from my usual circuit but after a few clubs died I didn't hear any more of it.

Lothianburn was part of a couple of societies. One was the James Braid group (possibly called the James Braid trail). The other was a group where clubs/courses were formed in the same year (1893 IIRC). Cheap access was granted to each if the member clubs. 

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Now this is more like it. About time they bodies catered for those who've fell through the cracks, for one reason or another.

BBC News - New handicap scheme for non-members a 'game changer' - Lawrie
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57341294

Hopefully the 'game changer' is it stops the bandits who appear at outings claiming their handicap is about 24 because the only play a handful of times per year. Said bandits end up scoring about 46 points! 

3 hours ago, kila said:

Lothianburn was part of a couple of societies. One was the James Braid group (possibly called the James Braid trail). The other was a group where clubs/courses were formed in the same year (1893 IIRC). Cheap access was granted to each if the member clubs. 

Played Pumpherston today,I had a nightmare,lost 7 balls,but played the 3 pars 5 well,birdied the 10th,lipped out on the 17th and 18 for birdie,pitching and putting was superb.Driving was a major problem,hence the lost balls.

hmfc_liam06
On 29/05/2021 at 12:14, Irufushi said:

great course though.

Lost a grand total of hee haw 😎

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

How was the condition and did you enjoy it? 

hmfc_liam06
36 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How was the condition and did you enjoy it? 

Condition was fine, not amazing. If I was to be picky (due to its standing) the fairways and greens were patchy and bare in places. Tees quite long and edges of bunkers a bit of a mess. Bone dry though and played very fiery.

Great track though, no two holes the same. Highlight of the day was hooking my tee shot left on 18, heading for the river, only for it to whack a tree and end up in the fairway :lol: 

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Condition was fine, not amazing. If I was to be picky (due to its standing) the fairways and greens were patchy and bare in places. Tees quite long and edges of bunkers a bit of a mess. Bone dry though and played very fiery.

Great track though, no two holes the same. Highlight of the day was hooking my tee shot left on 18, heading for the river, only for it to whack a tree and end up in the fairway :lol: 

Last couple of times I played it the Challenge Tour had not long been there so the presentation and condition was a lot better than you described. Sounds like they may be getting lazy. 

Very fortunate on 18! 😄 

Did you manage an additional round? 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Last couple of times I played it the Challenge Tour had not long been there so the presentation and condition was a lot better than you described. Sounds like they may be getting lazy. 

Very fortunate on 18! 😄 

Did you manage an additional round? 

Yeah it just felt a little untidy around the edges. Greens rolled fine but not fast and as I said bare in places.

We ended up at Blair Atholl on the way home, the less said about their greens the better....embarrassing.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did the Burntisland shows pitch up there for a few weeks. 😳

They'd be as well ripping that green up and starting again.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They'd be as well ripping that green up and starting again.

I hope their fees were not excessive. 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

I hope their fees were not excessive. 

£15 for 9 holes.

Pitlochry own/run it now. So I was surprised to see the state of them.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice 👍. I think a lot of places are struggling condition wise after the horrible weather this year, I’d imagine Spey valley will get hit hard as it can be a fairly short season there . Those Blair athol greens though 😂. They’ve got a cheek even charging .

hmfc_liam06
10 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Nice 👍. I think a lot of places are struggling condition wise after the horrible weather this year, I’d imagine Spey valley will get hit hard as it can be a fairly short season there . Those Blair athol greens though 😂. They’ve got a cheek even charging .

Did have a mild panic on the 2nd after I hooked one into the heather but I found it. 

Don't get me wrong that was the worst green but they've only got 9 😂

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£15 for 9 holes.

Pitlochry own/run it now. So I was surprised to see the state of them.

Hopefully they get on top of the issues. 

If you're looking to get back to Dumbarnie soon, did you see that the local rates are only available for up to three weeks in advance. They are obviously looking to make the best times available for the non Scottish resident market. I won't be surprised if the offer rates are removed from the peak season next year and beyond (as long as no international travel restrictions apply).