Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Can someone explain this one to me please.

I am currently 3.3 and on my home course par 70 approx 6300 yds slope 123 I get 4 shots.

If I go to Carnoustie Champ course par 72/73 7000 plus yards slope rating 145 i get -same 4 shots.

Same scenario off 14 i get -home course 15 - Carnoustie 18  so 3 additional shots on handicap, versus none.

There is no doubt that Carnoustie is a substantially harder test than my course but no change to handicap?

Seems unbalanced to me

Somebody please enlighten me.

Edited by merrymac

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I am currently 3.3 and on my home course par 70 approx 6300 yds slope 123 I get 4 shots.

If I go to Carnoustie Champ course par 72/73 7000 plus yards slope rating 145 i get -same 4 shots.

Same scenario off 14 i get -home course 15 - Carnoustie 18  so 3 additional shots on handicap, versus none.

There is no doubt that Carnoustie is a substantially harder test than my course but no change to handicap?

Seems unbalanced to me

Does it show to one decimal place? I've not really looked into the slope ratings enough to compare courses but maybe you are 4.4 for Carnoustie.

It makes sense though that the higher handicappers get a few more shots on a more difficult course with the lower handicappers getting a much lower ratio. I don't think it is linear the way they calculate it so maybe that's why you think it is unbalanced?

2 hours ago, kila said:

Does it show to one decimal place? I've not really looked into the slope ratings enough to compare courses but maybe you are 4.4 for Carnoustie.

It makes sense though that the higher handicappers get a few more shots on a more difficult course with the lower handicappers getting a much lower ratio. I don't think it is linear the way they calculate it so maybe that's why you think it is unbalanced?

No definitely 4 spot on.

It was Carnoustie off the Open tees and I get the same handicap as my current club.

Seems nuts

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, merrymac said:

Seems unbalanced to me

Yes. Basically you are just qualifying for an extra shot at your home course and on the cusp of having a course handicap of 3.

Your exact course handicap from the tees with 123 slope is 3.469. This rounds to 3.5 giving you 4.

At Carnoustie, you'd be 4.089 rounding to 4.1 giving 4.

If you manage to get your index to 3.2, you'll play of 3 at home but still 4 at Carnoustie. 

I hope this seems clear... 👍  

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yes. Basically you are just qualifying for an extra shot at your home course and on the cusp of having a course handicap of 3.

Your exact course handicap from the tees with 123 slope is 3.469. This rounds to 3.5 giving you 4.

At Carnoustie, you'd be 4.089 rounding to 4.1 giving 4.

If you manage to get your index to 3.2, you'll play of 3 at home but still 4 at Carnoustie. 

I hope this seems clear... 👍  

Ism sure it is correct SC it it seems that no extra shots for a course vastly more difficult than my own is a little harsh given that a Player already getting 14 gets another 4 

just as well I am getting on a bit and the handicap will be going up gonna need all the shots I can get with this new system 😳👍

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Ism sure it is correct SC it it seems that no extra shots for a course vastly more difficult than my own is a little harsh given that a Player already getting 14 gets another 4 

just as well I am getting on a bit and the handicap will be going up gonna need all the shots I can get with this new system 😳👍

Bear in mind regarding the 14 index scenario, depending on the exact WHI (ie 13.8), if this is played in a strokeplay event, the playing handicap would be 16 at Carnoustie after the 95% adjustment is applied. 

Played really well today at golspie apart from one disastrous hole and one unlucky break on the last. Managed an 8 on the 9th after chopping away in the heather (I ****ing despise that stuff) for several shots 😭. Last hole hit a good drive but ran through the fairway and was chopping my way out again. 

out in 41, +5 and got it to +2 after Birdies on 12,13,14 but ended coming home in level. 

can almost feel my golf swing returning...

Swahili Jambo
17 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Played really well today at golspie apart from one disastrous hole and one unlucky break on the last. Managed an 8 on the 9th after chopping away in the heather (I ****ing despise that stuff) for several shots 😭. Last hole hit a good drive but ran through the fairway and was chopping my way out again. 

out in 41, +5 and got it to +2 after Birdies on 12,13,14 but ended coming home in level. 

can almost feel my golf swing returning...

Nice score man.  You every played Braids 1 and 2 in Edinburgh?  Hated Braids 2.  My best on Braids 1 was 72 (and it should have been 69 apart from a complete **** up on the par 3 ninth)

Poorish effort of 81.  Ruined by a 7 and an earlier run of of 5 bogeys.  Not that I give a shit because it's just great to be able to play golf.  

Harry Potter
16 hours ago, Victorian said:

Poorish effort of 81.  Ruined by a 7 and an earlier run of of 5 bogeys.  Not that I give a shit because it's just great to be able to play golf.  

not a bad score, 9 over par ?

Tommy Brown
35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone playing the Broomieknowe open next Sunday?

Was going to, but cannot make it now.

I like Broomieknowe.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Was going to, but cannot make it now.

I like Broomieknowe.

Played it once a few years ago and from what I remember other than the first 3 and the last 2 or 3 it's a pretty good track.

Tommy Brown
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played it once a few years ago and from what I remember other than the first 3 and the last 2 or 3 it's a pretty good track.

Exactly, you need to sore on those 6 as they are pretty flat, short abd bland.

hmfc_liam06
48 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Exactly, you need to sore on those 6 as they are pretty flat, short abd bland.

4th is a cracker if I recall. Dogleg right, trees in the way?

Richard Bland been on the tour since 2002 and won for the first time on Saturday not a bad career making out of golf and not winning. Good on him and well done no keen on the Lamb roast he requested from his parents haha. 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

4th is a cracker if I recall. Dogleg right, trees in the way?

Good course.

Lots of long par 4,s in the middle section of the round.

Hope the fairways are nice and firm to give you a few extra yards.👍

PGA Championship begins tomorrow. Second major of the year already - I forget if this is a permanent new date for what was usually an August tournament or because of the Ryder Cup.

Rory is finally in form and has good history on this course.

14 hours ago, kila said:

PGA Championship begins tomorrow. Second major of the year already - I forget if this is a permanent new date for what was usually an August tournament or because of the Ryder Cup.

Rory is finally in form and has good history on this course.

I've went with Spieth 16/1 He only needs to win the PGA and he has won the grand slam. 

I like the PGA as the second major of the year when it was played in August it felt a bit meh the least of the 4 majors but having it now in May feels better. 

joondalupjambo

Might have been asked before so apologies if it has,

When you log into the SGU members area to view your scores why are some only some of my scores are highlighted in gray?  I have a list of 25 showing but only five are in gray.  If it is supposed to be the best 8 then that cannot be the reason.  Also I have a few more better scores than the ones grayed out so it cannot be highlighting the best ones.  It is not casual versus medals either so I am confused.  I am lucky enough to be returning good, regular casual scores off the yellows at Lundie and and looks like my WHS is going down based on averages and I understand how that all works. 

Any ideas anyone on the graying?

joondalupjambo
On 10/05/2021 at 21:17, Victorian said:

I would tend to go with an 18 shot allowance max.  Shot a hole.  Nobody should ever have been getting more than a shot a hole.

Golf's great for being inclusive and allowing high handicap players to go head to head against the club champion but there should always have been a bar to reach,  if only to encourage improvement.

We have one guy in our mob of twenty who gets three shots on the 4th at Lundie, the stroke index one hole.  I have suggested knitting but he keeps turning up!!!

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Might have been asked before so apologies if it has,

When you log into the SGU members area to view your scores why are some only some of my scores are highlighted in gray?  I have a list of 25 showing but only five are in gray.  If it is supposed to be the best 8 then that cannot be the reason.  Also I have a few more better scores than the ones grayed out so it cannot be highlighting the best ones.  It is not casual versus medals either so I am confused.  I am lucky enough to be returning good, regular casual scores off the yellows at Lundie and and looks like my WHS is going down based on averages and I understand how that all works. 

Any ideas anyone on the graying?

Grey scores are usually scores pending.

joondalupjambo
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Grey scores are usually scores pending.

Do not think so because the highlighted ones are scattered across the 25 scores showing and are various dates but all previous to current date.  My score from yesterday is recorded and my new WHS reflects it but is not grey.  I am baffled.

The Mighty Thor

Played Dumbarnie Links today. 

Really enjoyed it. Some good technical holes and a few risk/reward holes.

Hole in one on 16 helped immensely 😎

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Congratulations, you getting us all a beer tonight then😜😂

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well done mate, nice one.

Still alluding me after 45 years of playing. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Well done. Did you get a flag and bottle? Previous players who got a hole in one were given them. 

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Well done. Did you get a flag and bottle? Previous players who got a hole in one were given them. 

I did indeed. Really nice touch. 👍

Samuel Camazzola

👍

A three on 16 is a good score at the best of times. To walk away - 2 is something else. 

Hopefully all the good work didn't unravel on 17. I've only played 17 well when I've hit a 5 iron up to the corner and pitched on. The temptation of blasting a 3 wood at the great has resulted in poor outcomes. 

Samuel Camazzola

👍

A three on 16 is a good score at the best of times. To walk away - 2 is something else. 

Hopefully all the good work didn't unravel on 17. I've only played 17 well when I've hit a 5 iron up to the corner and pitched on. The temptation of blasting a 3 wood at the great has resulted in poor outcomes. 

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So that was your ugly mush on their Facebook page? :lol:

Kidding! Nice one, well done!

hmfc_liam06

Broomieknowe open yesterday, greens were superb (few patchy ones aside) and run quite quick, certainly smoother and quicker than any other course I've played this year.

I had an absolute horror show though, drove the ball superbly but everything else was abysmal. The middle stretch of the course really chewed me up.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

😂 Managed a 4 4 finish. Went for the green but found a decent lie up left. 

Was shaking like a shitting dog on the 17th tee though😂

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

😂 Managed a 4 4 finish. Went for the green but found a decent lie up left. 

Was shaking like a shitting dog on the 17th tee though😂

I've played it four times. Twice irons to the corner and twice had birdie putts resulting in easy pars. Whilst going fir the green, have found myself up in the left corner with a tricky pitch down and through the green. No pars on the card! 😂 

11th is probably the easiest hole on the course. 3/4 birdies with it being driveable with 3 wood or 2 iron. 

Armageddon
On 24/05/2021 at 05:07, The Mighty Thor said:

Amazing!  I saw the post on Facebook, I actually thought it was a father and son in the photo at first! 

Great hybrid :)

Disser Pointon

Kingsbarns on Thursday, start of a great run of golf which includes, the kings, Queens, Cruden Bay and 36 holes at Muirfield.

Is there any update on the Scottish open this year and the chance there could be fans ? 

Also Playing Charlston on Saturday no played there for a couple of years anyone played it recently ? 

18 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Is there any update on the Scottish open this year and the chance there could be fans ? 

Also Playing Charlston on Saturday no played there for a couple of years anyone played it recently ? 

Looks tickets go on sale from tomorrow.

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/aberdeen-standard-investments-scottish-open-2021/

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Charleton (Fife) or is there a course called Charlston? 

I've not been to Charleton since they had the fire but they have been heavily promoting the place and have plans to apply improvements. I've often enjoyed the course and it has some quirky greens. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Charleton (Fife) or is there a course called Charlston? 

I've not been to Charleton since they had the fire but they have been heavily promoting the place and have plans to apply improvements. I've often enjoyed the course and it has some quirky greens. 

Yeah the one in Colinsburgh going to go on Saturday plenty times available think the last time I played was maybe 3/4 years ago up there . 

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah the one in Colinsburgh going to go on Saturday plenty times available think the last time I played was maybe 3/4 years ago up there . 

From the emails they've been sending, their green fees have been very good. Their website has had a bit of work done to it too. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From the emails they've been sending, their green fees have been very good. Their website has had a bit of work done to it too. 

£25 in the morning

£22.50 between 12 and 3

£15 after 3 

I’ve been up there twice before don’t mind playing further away from Edinburgh it’s the drive back what’s a killer that road back to the bridge is never ending 😂

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

£25 in the morning

£22.50 between 12 and 3

£15 after 3 

I’ve been up there twice before don’t mind playing further away from Edinburgh it’s the drive back what’s a killer that road back to the bridge is never ending 😂

Great value. £25 visitor fees anywhere is good going. 

12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great value. £25 visitor fees anywhere is good going. 

Aye I got myself booked in for 12.45 on Saturday looking forward to it. 

Will try get tickets at 5pm for the Scottish open . Doubt i'll be lucky to get one but if I don't try I will never know. With last years open without fans that was  the first one I never went to in the last 6 

10 hours ago, Barack said:

Played two 9 holes with my Dad, whilst up at the weekend. 

That'll be it until September. Probably for the best.

Don't get on with your Dad I take it?