Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

No Idle Talk
On 03/05/2021 at 21:32, No Idle Talk said:

Going for my first round of golf in about 25 years on Thursday. Should be interesting......

Well that was fun. 43 after 7 holes. We stopped there as the weather was pish. Three putted every green except one, so if I could have just two putted every green that would have put me on 38 after 7 holes. Obviously crap in the grand scheme of things but better than I was expecting after 25 years without picking up a club. Hoping to get another round in next week. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, AWM said:

Tremendous talent to do something like that.

and a fitting tribute to the great man.

Victorian

Two medals into the new WHS world and I'm already seeing some confusing things and interesting effects.  I had an initial handicap index (HI) of 7.5 and that translates to a playing handicap (PH) of 8.  The confusing part is that,  while it's simple to enter the PH of 8 on the card,  the two scores I've returned state a 95% adjusted handicap of 7.  This is curious because 95% of 8 = 7.6.  Never mind.  1st score returned on the card was 80-8=72 (80-7=73).  Clearly above the old sss/css of 69.  7.5 HI remained.  2nd score returned on the card was 77-8=69 (77-7=70).  Either on the old css or 1 shot above.  HI has come down to 7.4.  Obviously the new system is based on the average of the best 8 from 20 scores so the answer lies in there.  I also see that my new HI of 7.4 remains a PH of 8 off the competition tees.

This will take a bit of getting used to.

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Two medals into the new WHS world and I'm already seeing some confusing things and interesting effects.  I had an initial handicap index (HI) of 7.5 and that translates to a playing handicap (PH) of 8.  The confusing part is that,  while it's simple to enter the PH of 8 on the card,  the two scores I've returned state a 95% adjusted handicap of 7.  This is curious because 95% of 8 = 7.6.  Never mind.  1st score returned on the card was 80-8=72 (80-7=73).  Clearly above the old sss/css of 69.  7.5 HI remained.  2nd score returned on the card was 77-8=69 (77-7=70).  Either on the old css or 1 shot above.  HI has come down to 7.4.  Obviously the new system is based on the average of the best 8 from 20 scores so the answer lies in there.  I also see that my new HI of 7.4 remains a PH of 8 off the competition tees.

It's 95% of your HI when playing competitions.

You should also forget SSS/CSS.

The best bit of advice is always know what your 20th score is, that's your target to beat on the day.

Victorian
33 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The best bit of advice is always know what your 20th score is, that's your target to beat on the day.

Just making a comparison to it.  

The 95% adjustment of HI makes it even weirder.  I don't see the relevance of entering the PH on a medal card in that case.  Still it is what it is.  

Yes I will be trying to keep track of the oldest scores in the 20.  It will be particularly important when a good score is due to drop out.

Victorian
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just had a look at scores.  The first score to drop out of the 20 was a poor score and the replacing score didn't affect the best 8.  The second score out was another score not in the best 8 and the replacing score makes it into the best 8 so the cut makes sense.  

Looks like the next 3 out aren't best 8 scores so further cuts are on the cards and no danger of going back up.  The pressure will be on after those 3 though.

Been watching the Walker Cup from the "famed" Seminole GC.

Just don,t see what they are all raving about. A tricked up golf course that makes decent players look silly.

Missing the green from 10yards?, can,t hold the green out of a greenside bunker.?

I am all for tough courses for these guys but some of these holes are just silly.

It seems that Crazy golf is what the Americans regard as quality, give me any of our top links courses over this any day.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Keep your course handicap as a decimalised figure (don't round it to 😎 and then apply 95% to see what the final figure is. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's not entirely correct Liam. The following should assist. 

https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/

Can you enter a general play score through the Scottish Golf app if you go round in a buggy and dont have a medical certificate?

Victorian
33 minutes ago, sinks said:

Can you enter a general play score through the Scottish Golf app if you go round in a buggy and dont have a medical certificate?

Don't know but the bit about using a buggy shouldn't matter.  There's nothing to prevent buggy use for anyone playing a club competition so a general play round shouldn't be any different AFAIK.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Keep your course handicap as a decimalised figure (don't round it to 😎 and then apply 95% to see what the final figure is. 

That's not entirely correct Liam. The following should assist. 

https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/

Ah right, I thought it was your HI as I'm sure it didn't quite calculate correctly when I tried it the actual way.

Every day is a school day.

hmfc_liam06
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Don't know but the bit about using a buggy shouldn't matter.  There's nothing to prevent buggy use for anyone playing a club competition so a general play round shouldn't be any different AFAIK.

I'd always thought you needed a medical certificate to use a buggy in competition.

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ah right, I thought it was your HI as I'm sure it didn't quite calculate correctly when I tried it the actual way.

Every day is a school day.

The Playing Handicap element hasn't been communicated well and if you look at some different Google results, it's easy to see why differing understandings of the method have come about. 

A few courses I have been to are displaying the R&A boards which provide Course Handicaps depending on what index and tees are being used. Something similar for Playing Handicaps would help Singles matchplay is 100% so no issues there but Foursomes is 50%, Fourball is 90% and it can then get a bit messy. 

Victorian
38 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd always thought you needed a medical certificate to use a buggy in competition.

Not that I've seen. Happens all the time at the club without medical certificates.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not that I've seen. Happens all the time at the club without medical certificates.

I think it depends on the individual competition rules

i know they are not allowed at my club without a medical certificate

hmfc_liam06
Just now, merrymac said:

I think it depends on the individual competition rules

i know they are not allowed at my club without a medical certificate

Same at mine. 

Thanks guys. Buggies only allowed in comps with med certificate at our course, but OK in bounce games ,so I suppose general play would be classed as bounce games

I once got DQ for not putting my handicap on a medal scorecard (and subsequently not completing the net score). Ironic how the way to do it now is to just leave it blank and let the system work it out!

It's not clear if winter stablefords are being included in my handicap calculations, I don't think they were meant to be if they are.

Edited by kila

hmfc_liam06
43 minutes ago, kila said:

I once got DQ for not putting my handicap on a medal scorecard (and subsequently not completing the net score). Ironic how the way to do it now is to just leave it blank and let the system work it out!

It's not clear if winter stablefords are being included in my handicap calculations, I don't think they were meant to be if they are.

WHS come into play in November, so as long as the course wasn't altered ie winter tees, then scores will count.

Been having another study of my 20 scores.  Next 3 to drop off are all non-counters for the best 8.  Great stuff.  Then it's trouble.  5 of the next 6 are in the best 8 and that includes my best 3.  After these 9 have dropped off,  if I don't get decent scores in,  I'll be looking at half my best 8 being 80 with a 76, 77, 78 and 81.  Looks like I'm going to have to produce 5 scores out of 6 of 76 or 77 or better later this season just to more or less replace what's going to disappear.  

It certainly presents more of a challenge than the old system.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Been having another study of my 20 scores.  Next 3 to drop off are all non-counters for the best 8.  Great stuff.  Then it's trouble.  5 of the next 6 are in the best 8 and that includes my best 3.  After these 9 have dropped off,  if I don't get decent scores in,  I'll be looking at half my best 8 being 80 with a 76, 77, 78 and 81.  Looks like I'm going to have to produce 5 scores out of 6 of 76 or 77 or better later this season just to more or less replace what's going to disappear.  

It certainly presents more of a challenge than the old system.

A guy at my club has gone from 4.4 to 8.2 in the space of 5 competitions. Which is utterly ridiculous, the equivalent of 38 0.1's.

29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A guy at my club has gone from 4.4 to 8.2 in the space of 5 competitions. Which is utterly ridiculous, the equivalent of 38 0.1's.

I can see why or how.  Sounds like he had a huge purple patch to get to 4.4 but the scores have dropped out of his 20. 

Tommy Brown
20 hours ago, kila said:

Our club has emailed us all about general state of card submission. 50% incomplete or incorrect:lol::vrface:

Over the first few competitions the standard of score card completion has not been great with more than 50% of cards submitted incomplete or incorrect.

Can I remind everyone that it is your responsibility to make sure that submitted cards are correctly filled in with handicaps and signatures, although I appreciate that we are filling in our own cards at present can I ask that you write a playing partners name on your card as marker. (Does not have to physically sign it).

It is good practice to complete scorecards correctly as this is the required standard when playing in any open competitions at other courses otherwise your score would result in disqualification for incomplete/incorrect cards.

If unsure or new to competition golf please see attachment.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Do you know the age of the scores which were contributing to the 4.4 index? If they were from 2018, 8.2 could be an accurate reflection of the standard he is playing at just now. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Our club has emailed us all about general state of card submission. 50% incomplete or incorrect:lol::vrface:

Over the first few competitions the standard of score card completion has not been great with more than 50% of cards submitted incomplete or incorrect.

Can I remind everyone that it is your responsibility to make sure that submitted cards are correctly filled in with handicaps and signatures, although I appreciate that we are filling in our own cards at present can I ask that you write a playing partners name on your card as marker. (Does not have to physically sign it).

It is good practice to complete scorecards correctly as this is the required standard when playing in any open competitions at other courses otherwise your score would result in disqualification for incomplete/incorrect cards.

If unsure or new to competition golf please see attachment.

Does your club use HDID? Scores could d just be submitted and signed for here without the need for cards to be physically handled by a match secretary. 

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Does your club use HDID? Scores could d just be submitted and signed for here without the need for cards to be physically handled by a match secretary. 

That’s what my club uses.
We still need to submit a physical card but I’m not sure they even look at these. 

Tommy Brown

Do you know the age of the scores which were contributing to the 4.4 index? If they were from 2018, 8.2 could be an accurate reflection of the standard he is playing at just now. 

1 hour ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

That’s what my club uses.
We still need to submit a physical card but I’m not sure they even look at these. 

Same with ours

hmfc_liam06

Yeah they were from late last year. The guy plays 2 or 3 comps a week at the club.

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah they were from late last year. The guy plays 2 or 3 comps a week at the club.

He's probably a good example of how the eight counting rounds is reflective of recent form. Not relying on rounds from years gone by to justify a handicap. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He's probably a good example of how the eight counting rounds is reflective of recent form. Not relying on rounds from years gone by to justify a handicap. 

It will be interesting how it plays out.  If someone did have a really good season or run of medals,  the handicap would come flying down.  If they're a 25 medal per season player then their handicap would re-adjust quite well.  If they're only a 12 medal player then it could be a few seasons before the player finds their true handicap,  when you take into account the number of buffers hit or occasional small cut amongst the +0.1s.  This new system looks ideal for regenerating a handicap with 1 or 2 seasons.  

It does seem to me though that this system is more exposed to a player gaming their handicap up the way.  All you could do before was rack up the 0.1s.  Ten medals to go up a full shot.  This looks easier to whack the handicap up. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It will be interesting how it plays out.  If someone did have a really good season or run of medals,  the handicap would come flying down.  If they're a 25 medal per season player then their handicap would re-adjust quite well.  If they're only a 12 medal player then it could be a few seasons before the player finds their true handicap,  when you take into account the number of buffers hit or occasional small cut amongst the +0.1s.  This new system looks ideal for regenerating a handicap with 1 or 2 seasons.  

It does seem to me though that this system is more exposed to a player gaming their handicap up the way.  All you could do before was rack up the 0.1s.  Ten medals to go up a full shot.  This looks easier to whack the handicap up. 

Yeah I agree it'll take a bit of time to settle. I also think players shouldn't be allowed to compete in Matchplay events unless they have submitted recent scores contributing to their handicaps. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah I agree it'll take a bit of time to settle. I also think players shouldn't be allowed to compete in Matchplay events unless they have submitted recent scores contributing to their handicaps. 

I would tend to go with an 18 shot allowance max.  Shot a hole.  Nobody should ever have been getting more than a shot a hole.

Golf's great for being inclusive and allowing high handicap players to go head to head against the club champion but there should always have been a bar to reach,  if only to encourage improvement.

My next 6 scores to drop off are my best 6 scores.

Looks like I'll be going up. 

Probably a lot my mate was 6 a few years ago. He is 12 now. It is a true reflection of his ability at the moment. 3 kids will do that to you. 

4 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

My next 6 scores to drop off are my best 6 scores.

Looks like I'll be going up. 

Probably a lot my mate was 6 a few years ago. He is 12 now. It is a true reflection of his ability at the moment. 3 kids will do that to you. 

Ooft.  I suppose it's not absolutely vital to replicate the 6 scores.  It does seem very important to put a few good ones in though.  Maybe depends on which scores are due to become best 8 counters.  A player could have a best 8 and nothing else within 3 or 4 shots.  Or they might have a best 8 with another 5 or 6 within a shot or so.  

Edited by Victorian

I’ve barely played in two years. I’d imagine my handicap will go up considerably after half a dozen rounds as that’s when my good group of scores drop off. I’m at 0.6 and have played two comps and been nowhere near that level . 

Anyone seen any mention about if and when normal putting / pin practices will return?  Last season we had those lifter collars on the pins.  This season they've been taken away and replaced with hole inserts to make the holes low profile.  Either way it's not a nice way to hole out on certain putts.  It would be nice to return to the dangerous world of being allowed to take the pin out.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Anyone seen any mention about if and when normal putting / pin practices will return?  Last season we had those lifter collars on the pins.  This season they've been taken away and replaced with hole inserts to make the holes low profile.  Either way it's not a nice way to hole out on certain putts.  It would be nice to return to the dangerous world of being allowed to take the pin out.

Can't be long. We introduced bunker rakes and golf ball washers last Friday. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hope so.  All it needs is a bit of thought.  Designated pin handler per group.  Designated pin handler sanitises hands after ever hole,  or even better that they sanitise hands as they get to each green.  All of us handle all kinds of surfaces and exchange items every day.  Golf pins add zero additional risk if planned out.

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Has Scottish Golf said that's ok now? My club still wanting folk to take a rake in their bag. Can't wait for that to end.

Tommy Brown

We are playing preferred lies in bunkers thankfully (landed in a footprint).

Why pricks just walk away without even a half hearted attempt  at smoothing it out, is beyond me.

We have all been emailed about it.

Samuel Camazzola
30 minutes ago, kila said:

Has Scottish Golf said that's ok now? My club still wanting folk to take a rake in their bag. Can't wait for that to end.

Yes, update was issued last week. 👍 

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yes, update was issued last week. 👍 

Direct from SGU? I get our clubs emails and we've not received anything in regards to bunker rakes being allowed again.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Direct from SGU? I get our clubs emails and we've not received anything in regards to bunker rakes being allowed again.

From the comms circulated, our club seem to have been in direct contact with Scottish Golf and immediately implemented to use of washers and rakes from the 7th.

I'm not aware if SGU have issued a blanket message (which wouldn't surprise me). 

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

From the comms circulated, our club seem to have been in direct contact with Scottish Golf and immediately implemented to use of washers and rakes from the 7th.

I'm not aware if SGU have issued a blanket message (which wouldn't surprise me). 

They definitely haven't issued a blanket response. Last comms we had was tail end of April.

27 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pumphy closed today again to heavy rain.

Midweek medal☹️

Was meant to play this afternoon aswell.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pumphy closed today again to heavy rain.

Midweek medal☹️

It's really not been a great 6 months for golf courses.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's really not been a great 6 months for golf courses.

Bummer.

I got snowed off last weeks midweek medal. Scoring well at the time.

Snow in May :rifle:

One thing that really annoys me is the unrepaired pitch marks on the greens.I must do  at least 30 a round,have complained on numerous occasions.It's just laziness and ignorance.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, weegranty said:

One thing that really annoys me is the unrepaired pitch marks on the greens.I must do  at least 30 a round,have complained on numerous occasions.It's just laziness and ignorance.

Unfortunately happens everywhere mate. What the restrictions at the start of this season highlighted was that it was members who were culprits. Blame couldn't  be placed on visitors.