Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Can’t imagine there will be many courses with such a swing in slope ratings between the front and back nine. 

Got my handicap problem updated ahead of Saturday. My 49 has been cut to 12. Possibly regretting rasing this to the club before the medal! 

:lol:.

Looking at various posts on here from experienced golfers & club administrators, you have got to wonder "What is the point" of introducing a system that folk either a - do not understand, b - don't care enough to want to understand.

I come into the latter category.

Why not add to the mess by introducing "Mulligans", I'm sure our friends across the water would welcome this natural addition to making a great game become a farce.

I cannot remember the source, but the person who wrote that the rules of golf should fit on the back of a postage stamp, had the right idea. I have a rule book in my bag, but on the rare occasions I try to locate a rule for the situation encountered, I never seem to be able to locate it. Good job there is no time limit like 3 minutes for finding a ball.

Easy answer - Hit the ball, play the next from where it lies (or take a penalty shot or 2 depending where you have hit it) until you get the ball in the hole..........not forgetting, get round the course at a steady rate & stop copying the nuances introduced by professional golfers & their caddies in terms of actually hitting the ball.

Slow play is the biggest issue in the game. As a previous poster has indicated, golf needs to be careful & not lose the new recruits to the game on the back of Covid restrictions due to the time it takes to play 18 holes.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, 2205ian said:

:lol:.

Looking at various posts on here from experienced golfers & club administrators, you have got to wonder "What is the point" of introducing a system that folk either a - do not understand, b - don't care enough to want to understand.

I come into the latter category.

Why not add to the mess by introducing "Mulligans", I'm sure our friends across the water would welcome this natural addition to making a great game become a farce.

I cannot remember the source, but the person who wrote that the rules of golf should fit on the back of a postage stamp, had the right idea. I have a rule book in my bag, but on the rare occasions I try to locate a rule for the situation encountered, I never seem to be able to locate it. Good job there is no time limit like 3 minutes for finding a ball.

Easy answer - Hit the ball, play the next from where it lies (or take a penalty shot or 2 depending where you have hit it) until you get the ball in the hole..........not forgetting, get round the course at a steady rate & stop copying the nuances introduced by professional golfers & their caddies in terms of actually hitting the ball.

Slow play is the biggest issue in the game. As a previous poster has indicated, golf needs to be careful & not lose the new recruits to the game on the back of Covid restrictions due to the time it takes to play 18 holes.

The new handicap system will be more beneficial than the previous one and given time, it will weed out the bandits getting away with posting 45 pointers in the Stablefords 

The timing of the introduction wasn't the best with it coming in the autumn of last year but it'll work out once it's in flow for the season. 

The question marks for me are on the consistency of the slope ratings across the various tee boxes. 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The new handicap system will be more beneficial than the previous one and given time, it will weed out the bandits getting away with posting 45 pointers in the Stablefords 

The timing of the introduction wasn't the best with it coming in the autumn of last year but it'll work out once it's in flow for the season. 

The question marks for me are on the consistency of the slope ratings across the various tee boxes. 

Agree, I'm a fan of the new system.

I'm 11.0 at my home club.

But if I were to take that 11 to Carnoustie for example, I'd toil, due to the course being much harder. The new system means I get around 14 or 15 shots there. I think it's a great thing that golfers handicaps are adjusted by the course difficulty.

Plus, the system figures it all out for you, there's no real need to understand anything.

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I appreciate your comments & I too hope it manages to capture the bandits!

Do you know who decides the slope ratings? I can remember SSS being introduced which was decided by volunteers attached to Areas (Lothians, Fife etc). Not to dismiss these guys, but I was not convinced by many who IMO did not have the golfing ability to decide on the difficulty of the course.

Maybe I should set aside some time to research the system instead of reading the guff on The Terrace:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, 2205ian said:

I appreciate your comments & I too hope it manages to capture the bandits!

Do you know who decides the slope ratings? I can remember SSS being introduced which was decided by volunteers attached to Areas (Lothians, Fife etc). Not to dismiss these guys, but I was not convinced by many who IMO did not have the golfing ability to decide on the difficulty of the course.

Maybe I should set aside some time to research the system instead of reading the guff on The Terrace:thumbsup:

With regards to slope ratings, I'm not sure how that's determined or if Scottish Golf have had an input or steer. At one of my courses, although the course is rated more difficult from the whites, I find it easier purely because the shots fit my eye better and find it more straightforward to plot my way from this spots. 

I still have a feeling that the slope will have been worked out from the tips and the other tees are just adjusted based on guesstimates. 

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

But if I were to take that 11 to Carnoustie for example, I'd toil, due to the course being much harder. The new system means I get around 14 or 15 shots there. I think it's a great thing that golfers handicaps are adjusted by the course difficulty.

Plus, the system figures it all out for you, there's no real need to understand anything.

Makes sense, because a club handicap before would either travel well to other courses or hinder you.

Tommy Brown
On 02/04/2021 at 10:45, hmfc_liam06 said:

But does not just mean the the course sss is wrong everywhere?

But I am  fan so far.

I fear it may allow chances to play off higher than should more easily.

First medal yesterday, a total handicap workout mind ****!!

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Had no idea what I’d be cut to until I woke this morning!

Matt Wallace doing an exemplary job of the old crashing bottle!!

The Volcano hasn't exploded yet but sure I can hear the rumbling from here😳

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Do you have Scottish Golf app? Your last 20 scores will be displayed with your best 8 highlighted. Your WHS will be calculated using the average of the "differential". 

From reviewing this, you'll get an idea what you need to score to get into your top 8. You'll also see what aged scores are poised to drop out of your 20.

Tommy Brown
11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

Your scores are calculated as the image.

Your best 8 added together and ÷8.

It's worth knowing your highest of the 8.

It gets replaced by your good score from yesterday.

You then recalculate.

I hope this message sense.:lol:

Screenshot_20210404-144051_Chrome.jpg

:wallbash:

I think I will not bother setting time aside to research this now after that resume of the system.

I appreciate those in favour will state "The system will work it out for you", but does not get away from it being a crock of s**t.....IMO.

Just keep it simple, it's hard enough a game without adding windmills & other obstacles from crazy golf into the handicap system.

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do you have Scottish Golf app? Your last 20 scores will be displayed with your best 8 highlighted. Your WHS will be calculated using the average of the "differential". 

From reviewing this, you'll get an idea what you need to score to get into your top 8. You'll also see what aged scores are poised to drop out of your 20.

I'm due an increase as 3 of my 8 are in my oldest 4 scores. So unless I equal or better them in the next 4 rounds I'll be going up a bit.

It also shows the importance of not NR'ing. My mate NR'd Sunday and went up 0.6.

11 hours ago, 2205ian said:

:wallbash:

I think I will not bother setting time aside to research this now after that resume of the system.

I appreciate those in favour will state "The system will work it out for you", but does not get away from it being a crock of s**t.....IMO.

Just keep it simple, it's hard enough a game without adding windmills & other obstacles from crazy golf into the handicap system.

It actually makes the game a lot fairer and your handicap a lot more accurate than the old system.   Your Handicap will change more to reflect how you are playing.  

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It actually makes the game a lot fairer and your handicap a lot more accurate than the old system.   Your Handicap will change more to reflect how you are playing.  

Yip. It's all about current form rather than getting slashed after a good couple weeks and never being able to hit it again.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me.

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

It looks like I need to investigate matters in more detail. System seems to be getting more positive reviews on here.

The main issue I have at present, my general play is probably in line with HMFC's recent performances!

Medal play has been put on back burner for the last few years as I was getting fed up with it taking 4+ hours for a round.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm due an increase as 3 of my 8 are in my oldest 4 scores. So unless I equal or better them in the next 4 rounds I'll be going up a bit.

It also shows the importance of not NR'ing. My mate NR'd Sunday and went up 0.6.

I played in a three man scramble using the new % application to each player. I think it worked out to near enough the same as the old formula (give or take a decimal point or two). 

Also played Dumbarnie again yesterday in the gusting wind and my strokes were eaten up early doors! 😄

Fairways are generous but putts were getting blown offline. Still a joy to play and looking to visit again in next couple of weeks whilst availability is good and special rate is applied. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played in a three man scramble using the new % application to each player. I think it worked out to near enough the same as the old formula (give or take a decimal point or two). 

Also played Dumbarnie again yesterday in the gusting wind and my strokes were eaten up early doors! 😄

Fairways are generous but putts were getting blown offline. Still a joy to play and looking to visit again in next couple of weeks whilst availability is good and special rate is applied. 

I'm going to head back once the clubhouse is open. Fife rate will be in place for all of this year again it seems.

Samuel Camazzola
31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm going to head back once the clubhouse is open. Fife rate will be in place for all of this year again it seems.

Three price categories apply again but a further reduction is in place now until 18th April. 😉 

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm staying in Fife now and am thinking of trying to get a game at Dunbarnie - if you need someone to make up numbers 

£5 on Dechambeau to win The Masters @ 10/1. Last time I put money on The Masters was 2019 when I had Molinari @ 25/1. We all know how that ended 😬

hmfc_liam06
On 05/04/2021 at 22:32, Bigsmak said:

I'm staying in Fife now and am thinking of trying to get a game at Dunbarnie - if you need someone to make up numbers 

Will do 👍

77 tonight in general play, should get me a 0.4 cut by my calculations.

A tv weekend wee interest, hopefully at least one makes the cut😁

3 x £5 win singles

Rahm 11/1

Schauffele 22/1

Matsuyama 50/1

Harry Potter
On 04/04/2021 at 11:52, Armageddon said:

I play off 7.6.

Course handicap of 7

Scored +3 nett 66

Cut to 6.7

thats good golf, 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Justin Rose is using an M1 driver!!
I cannot believe that.

Justin Rose is going to net me a tidy sum this evening 😎

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Justin Rose is going to net me a tidy sum this evening 😎

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👌🏼 amazing start! Lump it all on Hea..... I’ll stop there :)

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Armageddon said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👌🏼 amazing start! Lump it all on Hea..... I’ll stop there :)

4 of the last 5 years I've nailed first round leader.

Not had an overall winner in 8 years though 😂

On 07/04/2021 at 19:28, Jambo314 said:

A tv weekend wee interest, hopefully at least one makes the cut😁

3 x £5 win singles

Rahm 11/1

Schauffele 22/1

Matsuyama 50/1

Never in doubt😬😊

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Never in doubt😬😊

Well done mate, enjoy your winnings😀

Just posted the Masters thread that Shauffele could have really put the pressure with a good tee shot at 16.

He choked it himself.

hmfc_liam06

After being generally positive about the new handicap system, I've certainly found a negative.

Handicap index of 11.0.

Played Thursday, scored a +9 and got cut 0.4.

Played Friday, scored a +9 and went up 0.1.

Played Sunday, scored a +12 and went up 0.2.

The gripe...no one should have their handicap increased by beating handicap. I understand the 8 of 20 calculation but surely they have to think of a way to prevent a situation where you beat your handicap (by 3 shots as course handicap had me playing off 12 on Friday) you go up?

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

After being generally positive about the new handicap system, I've certainly found a negative.

Handicap index of 11.0.

The gripe...no one should have their handicap increased by beating handicap. I understand the 8 of 20 calculation but surely they have to think of a way to prevent a situation where you beat your handicap (by 3 shots as course handicap had me playing off 12 on Friday) you go up?

Just down to you losing a very good score for one slightly higher.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Handicap index of 11.0.

Think the system isn’t perfect but should give more accurate handicap if cards are submitted regularly. Can see it being annoying when you play well and it goes up though. 

My club still can’t get mine right. Starting to get a bit farcical now!

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just down to you losing a very good score for one slightly higher.

Totally but I still don't think playing -3 should result in the handicap actually going up. It was a score from last July that was knocked off.

The new system is meant to be an indication of current ability... :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Handicap index of 11.0.

It's a case of not focusing on what you need to score on that day to play to your course handicap but having an awareness of what's due to drop off your rolling 20 and if it contributes to your differential calculation. 

I've no issues with the system and can see instances where the 'worst' of your eight could be raising your handicap. As soon as this is replaced, a substantial cut could be gained. 

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Totally but I still don't think playing -3 should result in the handicap actually going up. It was a score from last July that was knocked off.

The new system is meant to be an indication of current ability... :lol:

I absolutely hate the new system, more chance of me understanding Bitcoins.  I do get that if you rock up to Carnoustie then you'll be given a handicap that suits that course, but then you play and have no simple idea of knowing if you will be cut or go up.  Also, this 95% of your handicap rule is utter bollocks.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I absolutely hate the new system, more chance of me understanding Bitcoins.  I do get that if you rock up to Carnoustie then you'll be given a handicap that suits that course, but then you play and have no simple idea of knowing if you will be cut or go up.  Also, this 95% of your handicap rule is utter bollocks.

Your score is calculated as follows

Score - Course Rating x (113/Course slope)

on Saturday I scored

83-69.3 x (113/124) = 12.5

You should do this calculation at your regular scores at your home club to see where it lands.

Above score I now know that is the max I want to score.

There will be good (and bad) play factors similar to css also (not seem them yet).

As Sammy says above you need a mental note that of your 9th best also as you'll want to score better than that.

Better still better than the good score dropping out.

Disser Pointon

Got some cracking golf coming up the next couple of months, need to get the game in shape.....

30 April - Archerfield

9 May - Dukes St Andrews, average track but some stunning views.

31 May - Kings, Gleneagles.

8 June - Queens Gleneagles

12 June - Edzell Open

13 June - Cruden Bay team open

14 June - Kings, Gleneagles

17 June - 36 holes at Muirfield

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Got some cracking golf coming up the next couple of months, need to get the game in shape.....

30 April - Archerfield

9 May - Dukes St Andrews, average track but some stunning views.

31 May - Kings, Gleneagles.

8 June - Queens Gleneagles

12 June - Edzell Open

13 June - Cruden Bay team open

14 June - Kings, Gleneagles

17 June - 36 holes at Muirfield

Not squeezing in the PGA at Gleneagles to do the set? Good run of courses in a short window. 

I'm hoping to get to St Filans (per @Barackrecommendation a couple of years ago), Pitlochry, Panmure and maybe another visit to Spey Valley. 

hmfc_liam06

I see the latest from Scottish Golf is travel allowed but opens can only be played in your own region.

Good luck policing that :lol:

Trip to Callander for me this Saturday, looks an interesting wee track.

Disser Pointon
6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not squeezing in the PGA at Gleneagles to do the set? Good run of courses in a short window. 

I'm hoping to get to St Filans (per @Barackrecommendation a couple of years ago), Pitlochry, Panmure and maybe another visit to Spey Valley. 

I'm a corporate member at Gleneagles so I've played them all plenty and the PGA is the weakest of the 3!

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I see the latest from Scottish Golf is travel allowed but opens can only be played in your own region.

I'm sure the club has been struggling lately.

I played in early 90s, keep  meaning  to play it again. I go up there for weekend a few times a year. I've no memories of the course whatsoever though.

Tommy Brown

Triple bogeys, bane of my life.

Two last night, 3rd and 15th, I get a stroke at each, so no adjustment.

Still had a score of +12 (11.6).  If only.

:sob:

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Triple bogeys, bane of my life.

Two last night, 3rd and 15th, I get a stroke at each, so no adjustment.

Still had a score of +12 (11.6).  If only.

:sob:

Triples from poor putter or tee to green?

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, kila said:

Triples from poor putter or tee to green?

Played really well. 4-11 all pars.

Triples down to terrible short game.

When I needed a good chip, I flunked it.

50 yards in, I'm shit.:lol:

I was playing regulation golf, short game was hardly needed. bogeys at 16 and 17 with 3-putts though.

On 14/04/2021 at 16:41, hmfc_liam06 said:

I just got an email from Nairn Dunbar saying the open we were due to play in (25th) has been cancelled due to restrictions but we can still play it but not as a competition.

not the clubs fault but what a load of bollocks.