Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Golf season starts this weekend!

New irons and wedges on order, woods still to come. Had a 2 and a half hour fitting session last week and had to give up by the time it come to the woods, was absolutely done in :lol:

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone using pink tees? I’ve found enough for 5 packets! Dunno who it is at my club that seems to use a new one each hole and not pick it up. I wouldn’t normally have gone for a bright pink ones but these are actually a great height and easy to spot after a shot. 

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, kila said:

Anyone using pink tees? I’ve found enough for 5 packets! Dunno who it is at my club that seems to use a new one each hole and not pick it up. I wouldn’t normally have gone for a bright pink ones but these are actually a great height and easy to spot after a shot. 

My go to tee for the driver.

10 hours ago, kila said:

I usually use the pink or the slightly bigger orange ones. 1 tee can last me several rounds yet my mates are always asking for a new tee from me every other hole, does my tits in 😂

Footballfirst

Brilliant final hole in Group 1 at the WGC Matchplay.

Dustin Johnson lost out to a birdie by Kevin Na, who won 1 up, meaning neither player could qualify.

Rob McIntyre was one down to Adam Long, who just needed to half the last hole to make the play-offs. McIntyre not only drives the green at the 370 yard last, but is only 2' 11" away from the hole.  Long after a good drive himself, but followed by an indifferent chip, could do no better than a 4 and conceded the hole to finish all square. McIntyre therefore tops the group and goes through to the last 16.

That may be enough to ensure that McIntyre makes the world's top 50 to assure himself a place in the Masters. 

Meanwhile Sergio Garcia knocked out Lee Westwood at the 4th extra hole with a hole in one.  That came after he made two excellent up and downs at the previous play off holes. 

Edited by Footballfirst

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Brilliant final hole in Group 1 at the WGC Matchplay.

Dustin Johnson lost out to a birdie by Kevin Na, who won 1 up, meaning neither player could qualify.

Rob McIntyre was one down to Adam Long, who just needed to half the last hole to make the play-offs. McIntyre not only drives the green at the 370 yard last, but is only 2' 11" away from the hole.  Long after a good drive himself, but followed by an indifferent chip, could do no better than a 4 and conceded the hole to finish all square. McIntyre therefore tops the group and goes through to the last 16.

That may be enough to ensure that McIntyre makes the world's top 50 to assure himself a place in the Masters. 

Meanwhile Sergio Garcia knocked out Lee Westwood at the 4th extra hole with a hole in one.  That came after he made two excellent up and downs at the previous play off holes. 

I noticed that Rob Mcintyre playing in the Dubai classic recently.   He did well.   Good upcoming player. 

That Sergio v Westwood match write up sounds like I've missed a cracking match or at least a cracking finish to that match.   

I've not been watching this tournament.   I'll have to tune in for the last two days.  Sounds promising. 

5 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

There’s not enough matchplay on tour. It’s such an exciting format. 

It is indeed quite entertaining and exciting.   I like to watch for any future ryder cup stars or current ones play.   Old rivalries from past ryder cups are fascinating also. 

Edited by HMFC01

18 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I noticed that Rob Mcintyre playing in the Dubai classic recently.   He did well.   Good upcoming player. 

That Sergio v Westwood match write up sounds like I've missed a cracking match or at least a cracking finish to that match.   

I've not been watching this tournament.   I'll have to tune in for the last two days.  Sounds promising. 

It is indeed quite entertaining and exciting.   I like to watch for any future ryder cup stars or current ones play.   Old rivalries from past ryder cups are fascinating also. 

Mark Victor Perez down for the next European team.

Tommy Fleetwood with a bit of crashing bottle there (again😳)

Semi Finals 

Perez v Horschel

Scheffler v Kuchar (it looks like)

First round in 3 months today, actually played half decent. Only had a wee bit of practice chipping in my garden since I last played. Hopefully get out again next week. 

miss playing this mind **** of a game 😂

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Any of you guys on here familiar with handicap calc?

I’ve recently joined a club (9hole course) and submitted 6 cards as required. Average 9 hole score of the 6 cards is 42.5, however my official WHS Index certificate is 49.9
1st medal this weekend and it sounds to me like I could shoot over 100 and stroll it??

Or am I wrong??

40 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Any of you guys on here familiar with handicap calc?

I’ve recently joined a club (9hole course) and submitted 6 cards as required. Average 9 hole score of the 6 cards is 42.5, however my official WHS Index certificate is 49.9
1st medal this weekend and it sounds to me like I could shoot over 100 and stroll it??

Or am I wrong??

Wouldn't be too worried as its likely there will be other bandits of similar h/caps😁

31 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Wouldn't be too worried as its likely there will be other bandits of similar h/caps😁

Haha! Thanks. I don’t want to get chased out the club after one medal. 

hmfc_liam06

What I don't understand re the new handicapping system is that when playing for handicap, most you can score on a hole is double bogey. So surely no one should be allowed an initial handicap of more than 36?

Obviously this can go up due to nett double bogey adjustment but for initial I don't get where some of these handicaps are coming from. We just had a guy similar to yourself @Juan Jose Carricondo Perez who was given a 43 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Haha! Thanks. I don’t want to get chased out the club after one medal. 

31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

FYI @Juan Jose Carricondo Perez you might find the medal will be limited to 28.0. I know ours are. So you won't stand a chance of winning if they do.

Medals aren’t capped at our club I don’t think. 
Thing is, I had myself somewhere around 15-18. Just don’t understand how it’s so wildly high.

hmfc_liam06
15 minutes ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Medals aren’t capped at our club I don’t think. 
Thing is, I had myself somewhere around 15-18. Just don’t understand how it’s so wildly high.

Hold the bus....I thought you had said your average score was +42 and you were given a 49....but if I read it right, you were shooting on average a 42?

Aye you're gonna have something like a nett 20 next week :lol:

46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hold the bus....I thought you had said your average score was +42 and you were given a 49....but if I read it right, you were shooting on average a 42?

Aye you're gonna have something like a nett 20 next week :lol:

Yeh, that’s what I mean. I was +4 for 9 holes last week. It’s totally off. 

Was annoying me so nipped up the club on my lunch break and the boy has messed up entering the scores. Think it’s a bit more complicated than it use to be with the new system. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Yeh, that’s what I mean. I was +4 for 9 holes last week. It’s totally off. 

Was annoying me so nipped up the club on my lunch break and the boy has messed up entering the scores. Think it’s a bit more complicated than it use to be with the new system. 

I do my clubs...don't let him kid you on, it's really not complicated at all :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

6 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

49!!!! Someone’s getting hounded out of their club shortly 🤣

That’s what I was scared of!

Thankfully appears to be an error with the scoring input and is getting sorted. There’s a bit of cash to be won in Saturday’s medal as well so my name would have been muck for a long time. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I do my clubs...don't let him kid you on, it's really not complicated at all :lol:

I admire anyone carrying out handicap convener duties at a golf club, especially with the recent crock of s**t introduced!

The moans & groans in my spell were constant. The best example I had was a guy winning the 5 Club Competition with 75 - 9 = 66 (SSS 73). He did not think it was "fair" to reduce his handicap. I finally left him with a retort "I recommend you only put the same 5 clubs in your bag for next week's medal"!!

Add to the mix the ability to submit supplementary scores ad hoc. No doubt declaring on a nice calm day as opposed to a normal windy/rainy scheduled medal day. No wonder it takes so long to play a round of golf these days.

The jokers playing in the last day of WGC Match Play should hang their heads in shame for the time taken to play a 2 ball match play tie with nobody else on the course. The commentators giving them an excuse it was a windy day, money & world ranking points on offer as they & their caddies stood there for minutes looking at yardage books. Picking a club out of the bag, replacing it with another & then going back to the original.

Little wonder I did not watch much of the (in)action on display, especially when you add in the constant adverts with not much happening on the course.

I play golf nowadays for the enjoyment (mmmm??!!), exercise & friendships. Long gone are the days I worry about my handicap.

49.. what the actual.. how is that even a thing. 

Regarding the double bogey.. it's net double bogey.. so a 36 handicapper with 2 shots per hole, can shoot 4 over on each hole to play to meet double bogey. 

But seriously. 49.. I'd have to give you 45 shots.. 3 per hole pretty much. No chance for me.

So.. if I was you, I would play the most conservative golf that you have ever played in this medal. Take everything higher than a 5 iron out of your bag and hit your 5 off the tee and keep it in play. Do not try to smack it. 

Try and be on a par 4 green in 3, or maybe 4 and hopefully 2 putt about 8 or 9 times. 

Even on the par 3s, get on in 2 and you will be sailing. For a 170yrd par 3 hit a 9 iron off the tee to take the green side bunkers out of play and chip on and you'll walk away with a 4 or 5 at worst.  

If you do that you will win by 20. 

2 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

I admire anyone carrying out handicap convener duties at a golf club, especially with the recent crock of s**t introduced!

The moans & groans in my spell were constant. The best example I had was a guy winning the 5 Club Competition with 75 - 9 = 66 (SSS 73). He did not think it was "fair" to reduce his handicap. I finally left him with a retort "I recommend you only put the same 5 clubs in your bag for next week's medal"!

I think all the handicapping is all central now. Your home club doesn't do anything other than submit the score. 

6 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I think all the handicapping is all central now. Your home club doesn't do anything other than submit the score. 

Lucky them Bigsmark 🐵

It is more the system now, which I hasten to add, I cannot really be bothered to investigate.

All I can see is big boards on the outside of pro shops with lots of numbers on them.

The days of "official competitive" golf with pencil in hand, holing out etc are not my priority on a golf course.

I still think it is a great game to play & I probably still agree when my mother said "It is the best £3.00 I have ever spent" when paying my 1st junior subscription 54 years ago.

36 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Regarding the double bogey.. it's net double bogey.. so a 36 handicapper with 2 shots per hole, can shoot 4 over on each hole to play to meet double bogey. 

But seriously. 49.. I'd have to give you 45 shots.. 3 per hole pretty much. No chance for me.

So.. if I was you, I would play the most conservative golf that you have ever played in this medal. Take everything higher than a 5 iron out of your bag and hit your 5 off the tee and keep it in play. Do not try to smack it. 

Try and be on a par 4 green in 3, or maybe 4 and hopefully 2 putt about 8 or 9 times. 

Even on the par 3s, get on in 2 and you will be sailing. For a 170yrd par 3 hit a 9 iron off the tee to take the green side bunkers out of play and chip on and you'll walk away with a 4 or 5 at worst.  

:lol:

Gone are the days when it 3/4 of difference based on a maximum of 1 shot a hole.

The game went daft when they introduced "C" Sections & 28 handicaps, not forgetting "full difference" which is detrimental to golfers of your standard. Am I correct that 54 is now a "maximum" handicap, if so they guys & galls should be restricted to the practice ground:whistling:

The "C" section was mainly to cater for the older members of the Club. The opposite happened with young guys winning the competitions which lead to the "C" section being shelved at my Club after a short period of time

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

It's just double bogey when playing for handicap though, no such thing as nett when you don't have a handicap surely.

hmfc_liam06

Question - what are your clubs policy on general play scores from medal tees? I know some are allowing it and some aren't. We were asked today, just seeing what the general consensus is...

Samuel Camazzola

Question - what are your clubs policy on general play scores from medal tees? I know some are allowing it and some aren't. We were asked today, just seeing what the general consensus is...

Would they not just play from the regular tees with the slope rating applied? 

yellow tees at our course for general play although I don’t think it’s a strict rule. 

My club allows bounce games off medal tees during the summer peak. Just have to be that bit more considerate and repair from the sand bucket.

There are upsides and downsides but I think it is good to let members practise from the hardest tees.

On 29/03/2021 at 20:49, hmfc_liam06 said:

Our members can play from whichever tees they want to at any time👍

joondalupjambo
On 29/03/2021 at 20:49, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lundie trying it's hardest to let you play off any tee for competitions.

I am 9.6 WHS so 11 off white, guess what? I looked and 9.6 is 11 off Greens.

Our Pro has an issue for his Saturday sweep and 2's because folk are saying I am not going in for sweep or 2's if some folk are playing off the Greens.  Pro might need to run two sweeps and 2's.

Also for general play cards you can play off any tee.

Match's view is that the WHS is in place and it is only right and proper that we follow the principals of that new process.

Members mixed views and some low boys saying you can bolt now for them playing in the Saturday competitions.

I think once the WHS is bedded in then more people will understand it.

My gripe is that one of it's aims is to encourage more folk to take up the game but what we are finding is that players are in groups putting in general play cards on a regular basis and of course they are all playing out in the majority of holes during what were once normal friendly four balls rounds through the week.  If this continues then slow play will rear it's ugly head for sure.  And that will counter the arguement of getting more folk to play the game because new comers will see how slow it is to get round.

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Our Pro has an issue for his Saturday sweep and 2's because folk are saying I am not going in for sweep or 2's if some folk are playing off the Greens.  Pro might need to run two sweeps and 2's.

Match's view is that the WHS is in place and it is only right and proper that we follow the principals of that new process.

Members mixed views and some low boys saying you can bolt now for them playing in the Saturday competitions.

My gripe is that one of it's aims is to encourage more folk to take up the game but what we are finding is that players are in groups putting in general play cards on a regular basis and of course they are all playing out in the majority of holes during what were once normal friendly four balls rounds through the week.  If this continues then slow play will rear it's ugly head for sure.  And that will counter the arguement of getting more folk to play the game because new comers will see how slow it is to get round.

Some good points in there. Madness that they're allowing comps to be played from any tee though. 

We've decided not to allow general play from white tees for a couple of reasons.

Tees are probably our biggest problem area, they aren't great condition wise. Also, we have 4 competitions a week so there is already plenty scope to play from white tees.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree that for sweep purposes, the competitions need to be from defined tees. The Pro will need to determine if he needs to operate multiple kitties. 

However, if someone is only wanting to take part in the medal for handicap purposes, they should be able to play from any tee box (including ladies/ability tees) as the relevant slope rating will be applied. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I agree that for sweep purposes, the competitions need to be from defined tees. The Pro will need to determine if he needs to operate multiple kitties. 

However, if someone is only wanting to take part in the medal for handicap purposes, they should be able to play from any tee box (including ladies/ability tees) as the relevant slope rating will be applied. 

Ron Swanson

Played my first few holes tonight since courses opened back up on Monday.

Few hooks to start with off the tee (I'll blame doing a load of digging up grass and painting fences) but pretty happy with everything tee to green after 3 holes. Can't complain at a couple of birdies. Greens a bit ropey but hopefully a decent bit of weather will bring them on.

Then it'll all go t**s up on Saturday with a scorecard in my had.

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Some good points in there. Madness that they're allowing comps to be played from any tee though. 

We've decided not to allow general play from white tees for a couple of reasons.

Tees are probably our biggest problem area, they aren't great condition wise. Also, we have 4 competitions a week so there is already plenty scope to play from white tees.

Blooming heck change already.  I think the club is all over the place with this.

Update just come out this morning would you believe it saying white tees for comp only given, and is what you are saying that we have so many comps that we need to protect the white tee areas.

The issue here seems to be that notifications are sent out, members challenge them for good reason and changes are made.  

This is what happens when you do not consult prior to putting out key updates.

I suspect that slow play is getting mentioned all the time and it will be a bigger problem the more times members are allowed off the back tees hence the hastened change.

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yep that is the purpose of the WHS and I say that when folk say it is nonsense about playing off any tees in a comp.  The minor problem is though if due to the slope rating you can play off a tee a bit further forward with no stroke loss is that fair?  It must have been factored into the WHS somehow?

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep that is the purpose of the WHS and I say that when folk say it is nonsense about playing off any tees in a comp.  The minor problem is though if due to the slope rating you can play off a tee a bit further forward with no stroke loss is that fair?  It must have been factored into the WHS somehow?

I have questioned some of the slope ratings on the courses I've played. Competitions at The Fairmont and Balbirnie Park had the same slope which isn't reflective of their difficulty. I get the impression that that slopes have been rated from the tips (in Fairmont's case, the tees used on Tour) and the others have just had an adjustment applied based on the reduction in length which isn't consistent. 

I am appealing to the golfing intelligentsia on this thread to explain something regarding the WHS.

My current rating is 3.3. I looked at the rating for Carnoustie Champ and discover the following

IMG_1313.PNG.42dddf3ce01f338c188a75e7ea498a89.PNG 

For the men's yellow tees I receive 4 strokes over 18 holes, but if only playing the back nine would receive 5?

If this is correct can someone explain, or am I reading it wrong.It is the same on other courses as well.

Over to you guys!

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I am appealing to the golfing intelligentsia on this thread to explain something regarding the WHS.

My current rating is 3.3. I looked at the rating for Carnoustie Champ and discover the following

For the men's yellow tees I receive 4 strokes over 18 holes, but if only playing the back nine would receive 5?

If this is correct can someone explain, or am I reading it wrong.It is the same on other courses as well.

Over to you guys!

At a guess... you'd be expected to shoot better on the front 9 so get less shots where as the back 9 you'd be expected to shoot worse? So if you were to play a 9 hole tournament then the number of shots you get could be more than your 18 hole handicap.

But I don't understand that either. But then I've never played a 9 hole tournament using my handicap - if I were to I'd have assumed it'd be between 40-60% of my handicap depending on the stroke index of the holes, not total more shots if combining both 9 holes into 18 like this system is doing?

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, kila said:

At a guess... you'd be expected to shoot better on the front 9 so get less shots where as the back 9 you'd be expected to shoot worse? So if you were to play a 9 hole tournament then the number of shots you get could be more than your 18 hole handicap.

But I don't understand that either. But then I've never played a 9 hole tournament using my handicap - if I were to I'd have assumed it'd be between 40-60% of my handicap depending on the stroke index of the holes, not total more shots if combining both 9 holes into 18 like this system is doing?

I played in a 9 hole open last year, never again.

Don't know how they were working it out but it looked to be 50% + 1 extra stroke. My 12 handicap become 5. My mates 6 become 2.

27 minutes ago, kila said:

Cheers certainly got me stumped 

if I play 18 I get 4

if I play it as two x nine I get 8 🤔

Can’t imagine there will be many courses with such a swing in slope ratings between the front and back nine. 

Got my handicap problem updated ahead of Saturday. My 49 has been cut to 12. Possibly regretting rasing this to the club before the medal! 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, merrymac said:

Over to you guys!

Doesn't it work that you get 50% of the course handicap? If you played two loops of the front 9, you'd get three strokes. If you played two loops of back 9, you'd get 5?

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Doesn't it work that you get 50% of the course handicap? If you played two loops of the front 9, you'd get three strokes. If you played two loops of back 9, you'd get 5?

Seems feasible but rather poorly put across by the SGU