Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Either Scum or an insurance job. 

Given they just built it I'd doubt it's an insurance job.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£10k raised already through funding. 

15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hope they sort it out. 2021 is gonnae be a good year. 

15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hope they sort it out. 2021 is gonnae be a good year. 

Edited by ri Alban

16 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

£10k raised already through funding. 

They’ve been unlucky 100k worth of equipment stolen soon after it opened and this fire. The cynic in me wonders why people are giving money to the go fund me page. This is a business that should have insurance. They also charge a fortune for club fitting. A set of clubs from there cost thousands of pounds. 

I can just see them digging deep if your house burned down not! People are gullible these days. 

Edited by spirt of 98

4 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

They’ve been unlucky 100k worth of equipment stolen soon after it opened and this fire. The cynic in me wonders why people are giving money to the go fund me page. This is a business that should have insurance. They also charge a fortune for club fitting. A set of clubs from there cost thousands of pounds. 

I can just see them digging deep if your house burned down not! People are gullible these days. 

Wonder if it was the other brother? :ninja: Just joking, but I know they hate each other and I wonder if there's still disputes over the land.

After he let Lothianburn rot, I give little shits towards Swanston. He could've kept Lothianburn going and had two courses as part of the Swanson membership, but he had ideas about quad biking down the old 14th fairway. Thankfully the council told him to get to **** - the noise projected to Fairmilehead would've been horrendous!

On 31/12/2020 at 18:27, OBE said:

Just start with the basics, if the 3 wood constantly hooks, maybe the setting of the head is closed, (A.1 is standard setting) thus imparting a draw. Set the adjusters to B.4, this will give you 1.5 deg more loft and also have a slightly open face. The more loft will impart more back spin and reduce side spin slightly. Is the shaft flex consistent throughout your woods?

All my clubs are stiff, with the irons Project X 7.0 shafts and the driver/wood Phenom '70.25.stiff'.

Driver is A1 and 3 wood is B1 - but is adjusting that just changing the alignment of the grips? If I wanted 1.5 deg more loft I could just open the face a little in my grip?

41 minutes ago, kila said:

All my clubs are stiff, with the irons Project X 7.0 shafts and the driver/wood Phenom '70.25.stiff'.

Driver is A1 and 3 wood is B1 - but is adjusting that just changing the alignment of the grips? If I wanted 1.5 deg more loft I could just open the face a little in my grip?

Why monkey with your grip on separate clubs? Keep the grip the same.

The adjustment facility in the head/shaft automatically adds loft and opens the face, this allows you to apply your natural grip.

You've nothing to lose, just try it on B.4, with your natural grip with no less than 20 balls.

Another thing you mentioned earlier...power! There's no need to try and force a 3 wood, length of shaft with 15/16/17 degs loft will get it out there, swing within yourself, 3 woods don't need to be murdered...no club does.

Edited by OBE

3 hours ago, kila said:

Wonder if it was the other brother? :ninja: Just joking, but I know they hate each other and I wonder if there's still disputes over the land.

After he let Lothianburn rot, I give little shits towards Swanston. He could've kept Lothianburn going and had two courses as part of the Swanson membership, but he had ideas about quad biking down the old 14th fairway. Thankfully the council told him to get to **** - the noise projected to Fairmilehead would've been horrendous!

The Farmer does not own the Building just the land. Think it’s a combination of Peter Arnott, Scott Gourlay and some Roofer that own the building. 

Yip Royal Lothianburn is a sad miss. 

So glad we can still play golf during this lockdown. 

took out membership in the summer, probably played about 150 rounds since. Got my handicap down from 23.9 to an index currently of 15.9. Love the game again. 

I play at Haddington and my good mate is a member at Gullane so we get a good mix. 

9 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

So glad we can still play golf during this lockdown. 

took out membership in the summer, probably played about 150 rounds since. Got my handicap down from 23.9 to an index currently of 15.9. Love the game again. 

I play at Haddington and my good mate is a member at Gullane so we get a good mix. 

The weather is trying it's hardest to stop us playing however.

1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

The weather is trying it's hardest to stop us playing however.

Everywhere close to me is frozen solid. I'll likely put the clubs away for the whole of January now.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Everywhere close to me is frozen solid. I'll likely put the clubs away for the whole of January now.

Yeah same, even the local driving range is only letting their members on.

On 02/01/2021 at 15:53, OBE said:

Why monkey with your grip on separate clubs? Keep the grip the same.

The adjustment facility in the head/shaft automatically adds loft and opens the face, this allows you to apply your natural grip.

You've nothing to lose, just try it on B.4, with your natural grip with no less than 20 balls.

Another thing you mentioned earlier...power! There's no need to try and force a 3 wood, length of shaft with 15/16/17 degs loft will get it out there, swing within yourself, 3 woods don't need to be murdered...no club does.

I mean having same grip but with the club face slightly more open at address. Is that not what adjusting the shaft segment thing essentially does? So if I had plain grips it wouldn't make any difference? 

You're right that I try to murder my 3 wood! I have difficulty doing a three-quarter swing with shorter irons despite it seeming like one in my head. Frustratingly my best drives are the ones when I feel like I'm taking a bit off it, but then it is so damn hard to convince myself each shot that less is more... But that's my aim for this year - to go for a little less power and take an extra club if I need to.

Disser Pointon

Won a set of the TM P770 irons but, after a couple of rounds,  I don't think they'll be displacing my Titleist T300 in the bag and will be getting sold. Pity cos they look stunning. 

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not every 5 years at St Andrews it was supposed to be 2021 but it’s now 2022. With Portrush back on the rota and Turnberry off it we lost an Open 2015-20. 

It's been every 5 years since 1990 🤷‍♂️

I assumed the reason it wasn't going to be at St Andrews in 2020 was because they wanted the 150th Open to be at St Andrews?

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, kila said:

I assumed the reason it wasn't going to be at St Andrews in 2020 was because they wanted the 150th Open to be at St Andrews?

Yeah but that will surely throw that out  of sync, will be hard to have it there in 2022&25. 
Hopefully it will at a Trumpless Turnberry that year (just to keep it on topic 😜).

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah but that will surely throw that out  of sync, will be hard to have it there in 2022&25. 
Hopefully it will at a Trumpless Turnberry that year (just to keep it on topic 😜).

It will move back to the usual five year slot eventually. 2024 is to be Troon and 2025 is rumoured to be Muirfield but it won't be a surprise if it goes to Portrush so soon. 

On 11/01/2021 at 18:22, kila said:

I think 2020 was allocated to Royal St George's as it was to celebrate their 150th Anniversary.

34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

When do we think we'll be able to play again?

1 round since start of Dec 😪

Full of stupid optimism.

So far, I have booked 

Drumbarnie, end of March.

Broomieknowe seniors, April.

Aberdour, Downfield & Monifieth (all seniors) June.

Panmure seniors August.

Still have Winter series at Fairmont.

Off my nut😎

Fancy the Speyside 54 hole open,

Spey Valley/Grantown/Boat of Garden in Sept.

Plus mates all want to do Dornoch again in August.

I managed to play yesterday as my course was open.

18 winter greens and partially frozen fairways but was great to get out. Had to use a putter to get out a frozen bunker :laugh:

Course closed today and I wonder when my next round might be. Only allowed to book 2 tees a week now so luck of the draw if the course is open on your day.

Our place has been shut since 27th December and I honestly can't see it opening in January.

Was flooded then the snow and ice came. That melted and flooded the course, now the snow is back 🤷‍♂️

Playing Sat, Sun, Mon & Tue, big tees, sma fairways and true greens...cannae complain, even wi a wee bit o astro under ma baw...hang in there guy's, I really, really feel your pain...:bootyshake:

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Playing Sat, Sun, Mon & Tue, big tees, sma fairways and true greens...cannae complain, even wi a wee bit o astro under ma baw...hang in there guy's, I really, really feel your pain...:bootyshake:

:getout:

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

:getout:

When all this shit calms down Tommy and if your gaff is still swimming, you and your entertaining friends are welcome at Kilspindie, end of Feb mats come of...:thumbsup:

:lol: sounds like a plan. Thanks OBE

Sitting outside having a pint at your course in warm summer night is great memory. What a setting.

Oh aye, and finishing birdie birdie as well😎

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol: sounds like a plan. Thanks OBE

Sitting outside having a pint at your course in warm summer night is great memory. What a setting.

Oh aye, and finishing birdie birdie as well😎

Big man wisnae happy...priceless. I'll get back to you nearer the time...:thumbs_up:

12 hours ago, OBE said:

When all this shit calms down Tommy and if your gaff is still swimming, you and your entertaining friends are welcome at Kilspindie, end of Feb mats come of...:thumbsup:

OBE I've always said you're a top guy :lol:

42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

OBE I've always said you're a top guy :lol:

I know, pile on's can be irresistible at times, you're forgiven...:placate:  Your course not coping weather-wise?

18 minutes ago, OBE said:

I know, pile on's can be irresistible at times, you're forgiven...:placate:  Your course not coping weather-wise?

We've been pretty badly hit with the weather aye.

Suffered severe flooding in August and it's been very wet ever since, December and January's weather has pretty much crippled it. Compounded by the fact we've had the back 9 shut since start of November while we improve the drainage.

Fingers crossed for a very dry March and a warm April.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've been pretty badly hit with the weather aye.

Suffered severe flooding in August and it's been very wet ever since, December and January's weather has pretty much crippled it. Compounded by the fact we've had the back 9 shut since start of November while we improve the drainage.

Fingers crossed for a very dry March and a warm April.

Good that they're attempting to address the drainage, full membership?...Lochgelly?

Just now, OBE said:

Good that they're attempting to address the drainage, full membership?...Lochgelly?

Aye mate I'm at Lochgelly. I'm part of the committee, I'm the young blood trying to drive the club forward :lol:

Been a very good year for us though in all honesty, COVID has been a blessing in disguise. Membership grew quite a bit and visitor bookings were through the roof.

Aye mate I'm at Lochgelly. I'm part of the committee, I'm the young blood trying to drive the club forward :lol:

Been a very good year for us though in all honesty, COVID has been a blessing in disguise. Membership grew quite a bit and visitor bookings were through the roof.

Committee man, good stuff, can be a thankless task at times. I only managed a couple of years but glad I did, it let me see the tremendous amount of enthusiastic work done behind the scenes.

I hope you get your dry South Westerly's...🏜️

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Committee man, good stuff, can be a thankless task at times. I only managed a couple of years but glad I did, it let me see the tremendous amount of enthusiastic work done behind the scenes.

I hope you get your dry South Westerly's...🏜️

Yeah it's been eye opening but pretty rewarding. Members, on the whole, seem to be very appreciative of the work this year, they're noticing the difference. Simple stuff like increased communication etc.

A strong dry wind would be most welcome!

Ralph Lauren have dropped Justin Thomas for muttering “fa**ot” under his breath after missing a putt but it was picked up on a mic.

I really like him and cannot stand this cancel culture :(

Looking likely I'll be getting a whole new set up for this season. Everything bar the putter.

Why oh why are 2 of the newest drivers bloody green and white though?!

Looking likely I'll be getting a whole new set up for this season. Everything bar the putter.

Why oh why are 2 of the newest drivers bloody green and white though?!

Stay in for a month...oh wait 🤔 save up your dibs & get fitted for a Tsi...nae green tae be seen, ignore the price tag...us Jambos are worth it...👍

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Ralph Lauren have dropped Justin Thomas for muttering “fa**ot” under his breath after missing a putt but it was picked up on a mic.

When you read their statement, they allude to him being back with them at some point in the not so distant future. 

He won't be without a clothing deal for long. A wee win at Phoenix (Super Bowl weekend), Sawgrass or Augusta will have all the labels scrambling for him if he hasn't signed already. 

Samuel Camazzola

When you read their statement, they allude to him being back with them at some point in the not so distant future. 

He won't be without a clothing deal for long. A wee win at Phoenix (Super Bowl weekend), Sawgrass or Augusta will have all the labels scrambling for him if he hasn't signed already. 

Samuel Camazzola

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Stay in for a month...oh wait 🤔 save up your dibs & get fitted for a Tsi...nae green tae be seen, ignore the price tag...us Jambos are worth it...👍

Let's just say I won't be actually paying for it...so cost of the clubs will be no object 😉

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Let's just say I won't be actually paying for it...so cost of the clubs will be no object 😉

Get yourself on any calibrated trackman, Lie, loft, Flex & Club Length, get them things synced, then you know it's not the equipment...you get my drift, draw, fade Sevy?

Edited by OBE

Just now, OBE said:

Get yourself on any calibrated trackman, Lie, loft, Flex & Club Length, get them things synced, then you know it's not the equipment...you get my drift Sevy?

I'm sure my pro will make sure :lol:

16 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm sure my pro will make sure :lol:

How did end up just before winter shutdown?

You started like a train and heading for single figures. Then you won't haywire.

You back on track?