Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I’ve decided I’m going to a links course next season, means a bit more of a drive but I’ll either be going to Nairn or Nairn Dunbar. 

Sign on? 🤣

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Samuel Camazzola was up at the Fairmont today...white shoes were a huge error, place is a bog! 

The pitch marks on the greens were an absolute disgrace too, such a shame for the place as they're good tracks. Don't know why folk think its OK to not repair their pitch marks at resort courses, always seems especially bad at those types of courses.

23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

@Samuel Camazzola was up at the Fairmont today...white shoes were a huge error, place is a bog! 

The pitch marks on the greens were an absolute disgrace too, such a shame for the place as they're good tracks. Don't know why folk think its OK to not repair their pitch marks at resort courses, always seems especially bad at those types of courses.

Was there on Saturday and agree about the pitch marks. Pretty sodden, eh.

36 points scored, except was out in 22.

Wind picked up. 4 tough holes into the wind on Torrance back 9.

Told that they are now going to be strict about travelling from outwith Fife.

Suspended our membership to stop us booking times.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Was there on Saturday and agree about the pitch marks. Pretty sodden, eh.

36 points scored, except was out in 22.

Wind picked up. 4 tough holes into the wind on Torrance back 9.

Told that they are now going to be strict about travelling from outwith Fife.

Suspended our membership to stop us booking times.

Aye the walkways especially, its waders you need not golf shoes :lol:

35 for me today on the Torrance. 16/19 split. Happy with that, first game in 4 weeks.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hi Liam. I've not been up for a couple of weeks. If the weather stays fair, it usually dries out quickly. 

Were you on the Torrance and if so, were the greens still running great? It's secured a prime spot on the European Tour for next August. It's the same weekend as the WGC in Memphis but should attract a strong field since Ryder Cup points will be up for grabs. 

The pitch mark issue is poor form. Ive experienced that on several courses - Gleneagles being one which suffers from folk being lazy. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hi Liam. I've not been up for a couple of weeks. If the weather stays fair, it usually dries out quickly. 

Were you on the Torrance and if so, were the greens still running great? It's secured a prime spot on the European Tour for next August. It's the same weekend as the WGC in Memphis but should attract a strong field since Ryder Cup points will be up for grabs. 

The pitch mark issue is poor form. Ive experienced that on several courses - Gleneagles being one which suffers from folk being lazy. 

It's very, very muddy. Shows you what parkland is up against with the weather when even places like the Fairmont are like that.

The greens were OK, so many pitch marks though it was tough going with bobbles all over the place. So many that it was pointless even attempting to fix others. 

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's very, very muddy. Shows you what parkland is up against with the weather when even places like the Fairmont are like that.

The greens were OK, so many pitch marks though it was tough going with bobbles all over the place. So many that it was pointless even attempting to fix others. 

The courses should have been closed if they were that soft under foot. Balbirnie was hosting two winter league matches on Sunday despite a pond being developed over two fairways. Madness! 

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all the golfers here on Kickback.

Always good chat and certainly helped to keep the golfing enthusiasm up during lockdown.

Here's hoping we get a better year in 2021 , to more frequently display our golfing skills,and all our new WGH handicaps come tumbling down .:thumbsup:

All the best guys, hope to catch you out on the links one day.

Cheers

MM

Anyone getting golf stuff for Christmas? The mrs put money towards my new irons as my present, technically nothing to open tomorrow morning but im old enough I don't care.

Samuel Camazzola
52 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Anyone getting golf stuff for Christmas? The mrs put money towards my new irons as my present, technically nothing to open tomorrow morning but im old enough I don't care.

If not a St Andrews Links voucher, it'll likely be one for Dumbarnie. Win win! 👍

Samuel Camazzola
52 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

If not a St Andrews Links voucher, it'll likely be one for Dumbarnie. Win win! 👍

Currently have the M2 driver and have had it for 4 or 5 years.  Thinking of getting a driver this year. 

What are the thoughts?   I might have bagged £280 of American golf vouchers between everyone for Christmas!  🙂

41 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Currently have the M2 driver and have had it for 4 or 5 years.  Thinking of getting a driver this year. 

What are the thoughts?   I might have bagged £280 of American golf vouchers between everyone for Christmas!  🙂

I'm looking at a new driver and 3 wood combo for this season. The new Cobra Radspeed seems to be getting great reviews. 

Samuel Camazzola
45 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Have a look at the Mizuno ST200. 👍 

Cheers.. I hate making big purchases without research.. so some good shouts to start.. I guess it's how it feels and how I hit it..  what if the M2 is the perfect driver for me? 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

Cheers.. I hate making big purchases without research.. so some good shouts to start.. I guess it's how it feels and how I hit it..  what if the M2 is the perfect driver for me? 

A new grip is the only expense needed. 😄

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

Try the M4 , i hit very straight drives with it.

Happy to report Cv-19 doesn't have any adverse effects relating to a golfers ability after isolation. 40 points in the sunshine yesterday. Legs felt like jelly around the turn, slugged some Lucozade ate a Banana then nibbled some Jelly-Babies, never came down until after news @ 10. 

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, OBE said:

Happy to report Cv-19 doesn't have any adverse effects relating to a golfers ability after isolation. 40 points in the sunshine yesterday. Legs felt like jelly around the turn, slugged some Lucozade ate a Banana then nibbled some Jelly-Babies, never came down until after news @ 10. 

Bandit! 😁

9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Bandit! 😁

You should retract that after you hear 1 off our 8 had 26 points on the way out and 16 on the way back...wait for it........he also had four blobs, I was second.

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, OBE said:

You should retract that after you hear 1 off our 8 had 26 points on the way out and 16 on the way back...wait for it........he also had four blobs, I was second.

26 points going out? What is his WHS index? Sounds like he was taking generous gimmes and getting two shots a hole. 

10 minutes ago, OBE said:

Mats always distort scores.....:vrface: 

only kidding OBE. HNY ahead.

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

26 points going out? What is his WHS index? Sounds like he was taking generous gimmes and getting two shots a hole. 

WHS 17.5, yellow tees, 16.0...gimmies on my watch Sammy, C'mon FFS! :biggrin2:

27 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mats always distort scores.....:vrface: 

only kidding OBE. HNY ahead.

Yip, distorts the scores but protects our micro-fairways.

How are you TB, healthy I hope...HNY to you to, vaccines are on the way...:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, OBE said:

WHS 17.5, yellow tees, 16.0...gimmies on my watch Sammy, C'mon FFS! :biggrin2:

Sounds like someone is hiding a single figure handicap by keeping their last 20 rounds with hacker scores! 😂 

26 out! 🙈

I haven't played for years, but as soon as this pandemic is done. I'm joining a club (3 possibilities in mind) and playing as much as possible. I can't wait. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I haven't played for years, but as soon as this pandemic is done. I'm joining a club (3 possibilities in mind) and playing as much as possible. I can't wait. 

Why wait? You can play whenever you want (weather permitting). 

What are the three you're considering?

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Why wait? You can play whenever you want (weather permitting). 

What are the three you're considering?

Elderslie, Lochwinnoch and cochrane Castle. Fairly local and not too bad. Well Lochwinnoch you need one leg longe than the other but, hey. Gets me out the house. 

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Elderslie, Lochwinnoch and cochrane Castle. Fairly local and not too bad. Well Lochwinnoch you need one leg longe than the other but, hey. Gets me out the house. 

Choose wisely. 😁 👍 

16 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm looking at getting a new driver next year, when hopefully I play more than twice in a year. 

That's one that looks interesting to me. Lots of good reviews.

That, & the King Cobra SZ. 

New driver you say. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bmq56osw2dhqseysoty

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, Barack said:

I'm looking at getting a new driver next year, when hopefully I play more than twice in a year. 

That's one that looks interesting to me. Lots of good reviews.

That, & the King Cobra SZ. 

It does look the part and its price point is below the usual market leaders. 

I'm looking to trial the 3 wood so will see how that goes... 

Is it worth getting a 3 wood's lie adjusted? I've never felt overly comfortable with my Titleist 913F and still prefer to hit my 2 iron.

I got the 913F second hand so maybe it was already a degree or two up, but my local pro said they don't really adjust the lies of woods and drivers...

23 minutes ago, kila said:

Is it worth getting a 3 wood's lie adjusted? I've never felt overly comfortable with my Titleist 913F and still prefer to hit my 2 iron.

I got the 913F second hand so maybe it was already a degree or two up, but my local pro said they don't really adjust the lies of woods and drivers...

Why does the 3 wood make you feel uncomfortable? 

The decision to adjust rescue/fairway wood or driver is up to you, not your local pro. Do you have the torque tool and adjustment chart? If yes, get fecking about with it until comfortable. Good luck!   :thumbsup:

Edited by OBE

33 minutes ago, OBE said:

Why does the 3 wood make you feel uncomfortable? 

The decision to adjust rescue/fairway wood or driver is up to you not your local pro. Do you have the torque tool and adjustment chart? If yes, get fecking about with it until comfortable. Good luck!   :thumbsup:

I have a strong left hand grip and see 3 knuckles, sometimes 4. With my 3 wood I am more likely to hook it and at address it does feel less comfortable to initiate with than my 2 iron which feels more weighted/balanced.

A high fade is my preferred 3 wood shot, but I have to fight that hook. I sometimes wonder if a flatter lie will help fight the hook. I have the tool to adjust the club but I've not done anything before, can you adjust the lie with the tool by unscrewing and moving the cog bit round?

I've tried adjusting my left hand to be weaker but I generate a lot more power with a stronger elft hand. When I do chip shots or bunkers, all 4 knuckles are very visible! If I try chipping with a weak left hand I just can't hinge much.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, kila said:

I have a strong left hand grip and see 3 knuckles, sometimes 4. With my 3 wood I am more likely to hook it and at address it does feel less comfortable to initiate with than my 2 iron which feels more weighted/balanced.

A high fade is my preferred 3 wood shot, but I have to fight that hook. I sometimes wonder if a flatter lie will help fight the hook. I have the tool to adjust the club but I've not done anything before, can you adjust the lie with the tool by unscrewing and moving the cog bit round?

I've tried adjusting my left hand to be weaker but I generate a lot more power with a stronger elft hand. When I do chip shots or bunkers, all 4 knuckles are very visible! If I try chipping with a weak left hand I just can't hinge much.

Are all your grips the same thickness? Also, have you been measured to learn the correct grip thickness for you? This little adjustment could make a difference to you hitting a hook. 👍 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are all your grips the same thickness? Also, have you been measured to learn the correct grip thickness for you? This little adjustment could make a difference to you hitting a hook. 👍 

Aye I had thicker Golf Pride grips for a few seasons and earlier this year got some standard thickness Lamkin ones. Had rounds in the 70s and 90s with both grips though!

I think the key to avoiding a hook for me is the way I start my swing. If I'm a little inside, then I struggle to hinge my wrists without the club face closing and at the top it can be flat looking at the sky.

This year I've tried to be a bit more outside with the hands. I feel far more comfortable hitting a slight fade because the club always feels more balanced being a few degrees open.

Maybe the 913F is just a bit harder to hit with the way it is weighted/balanced? My pal has a 3 wood that is more square with forgiveness but doesn't feel as powerful whenever I've tried it. But then my 3 wood is just a club that takes up space in my bag so if I don't use it I should probably change it! I've got a 5 wood too (same model) which I struggle with equally but I leave that in my locker as my 2 iron is much more fun/consistent.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, kila said:

Aye I had thicker Golf Pride grips for a few seasons and earlier this year got some standard thickness Lamkin ones. Had rounds in the 70s and 90s with both grips though!

I think the key to avoiding a hook for me is the way I start my swing. If I'm a little inside, then I struggle to hinge my wrists without the club face closing and at the top it can be flat looking at the sky.

This year I've tried to be a bit more outside with the hands. I feel far more comfortable hitting a slight fade because the club always feels more balanced being a few degrees open.

Maybe the 913F is just a bit harder to hit with the way it is weighted/balanced? My pal has a 3 wood that is more square with forgiveness but doesn't feel as powerful whenever I've tried it. But then my 3 wood is just a club that takes up space in my bag so if I don't use it I should probably change it! I've got a 5 wood too (same model) which I struggle with equally but I leave that in my locker as my 2 iron is much more fun/consistent.

Could be a combo of variety of things but ultimately, if the club is not fitting your eye at address then the confidence in the shot will decrease. 

At the beginning of the year, Padraig Harrington was posting numerous drills and tips on his social media. One or two of these may be if use to you. 

I'm in agreement that a sweetly struck 2 iron is more satisfying. 👌🏼

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Could be a combo of variety of things but ultimately, if the club is not fitting your eye at address then the confidence in the shot will decrease. 

At the beginning of the year, Padraig Harrington was posting numerous drills and tips on his social media. One or two of these may be if use to you. 

I'm in agreement that a sweetly struck 2 iron is more satisfying. 👌🏼

It's funny because when I first got that 3 wood, I was hitting it well. That was around 6 years ago though! I have videoed my swing over the years and it morphs around a lot. That particular 3 wood seems to be the hardest club for me so that's my gauge on how well I'm swinging.

Padraig's stuff is great, I agree. I watched something recently on Sky Sports where he was giving a lesson and his bunker tip about putting weight onto your left side and lean into the sand almost stuck in my mind. In fact it stuck in my mind so much I purposely hit a few shots into a bunker my next round!

2 hours ago, kila said:

Just start with the basics, if the 3 wood constantly hooks, maybe the setting of the head is closed, (A.1 is standard setting) thus imparting a draw. Set the adjusters to B.4, this will give you 1.5 deg more loft and also have a slightly open face. The more loft will impart more back spin and reduce side spin slightly. Is the shaft flex consistent throughout your woods?

17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Utterly disgusting arson attack at Swanston today. Their new facility burned to the ground.

What the feck.. that is terrible

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Utterly disgusting arson attack at Swanston today. Their new facility burned to the ground.

Why would anyone burn a sporting facility to the ground?

15 hours ago, OBE said:

Why would anyone burn a sporting facility to the ground?

Either Scum or an insurance job.