Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I played Dunbar yesterday, anyone else had a hit round there?  I'd say it's one of my favourite courses, some amazing holes!

I'm fortunate enough to be a member. 

You won a watch weather wise yesterday. Saturday was brutal. Pishing down with an East wind. 

Greens are great for this time of year 👍

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Jim Leighton has just joined my fourball next Sunday. 

Any questions for the former Scotland shot stopper?

50 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Jim Leighton has just joined my fourball next Sunday. 

Any questions for the former Scotland shot stopper?

How many goals did you let through your legs/:whistling:

8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I played Dunbar yesterday, anyone else had a hit round there?  I'd say it's one of my favourite courses, some amazing holes!

Ex Work colleague is a member there.

My favourite course too. Love it.

Just too far away for me to join.

Not played since my mate got binned ☹️need to look at a seniors next year.

14 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Ex Work colleague is a member there.

My favourite course too. Love it.

Just too far away for me to join.

Not played since my mate got binned ☹️need to look at a seniors next year.

If your looking for Dunbar seniors you need to get in early Tommy, its always full almost as soon as announced👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 hours ago, merrymac said:

How many goals did you let through your legs/:whistling:

We're wondering if he will have vaseline on his brows and a uhlsport golf glove. Joe Harper's at our club too, but strictly week days. Probably in better shape now than he ever has been 

44 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We're wondering if he will have vaseline on his brows and a uhlsport golf glove. Joe Harper's at our club too, but strictly week days. Probably in better shape now than he ever has been 

John Colquhoun is a member at my club .:smugger:

Just back from cash 4 clubs at Loanhead. Traded in some old tatty clubs and a Ping Crossover and was offered £210 for them! I was pleasantly surprised. Walked away with a brand new Mizuno CLK and £40 in my pocket.

6 hours ago, merrymac said:

If your looking for Dunbar seniors you need to get in early Tommy, its always full almost as soon as announced👍

Cheers Mac.

Last time I played (poorl☹️) was a gents open.

The day Griffith's scored the 2 free kicks against England.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Cheers Mac.

Last time I played (poorl☹️) was a gents open.

The day Griffith's scored the 2 free kicks against England.

Had a result in the Gents open.

The trophy is the Traprain Bowl (scratch version) which I won a good few years ago now.

Still one of my best efforts.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on electric trolley repairs?

My father-in-laws has stopped working and at 80 he needs it to get round. 

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

Had a result in the Gents open.

The trophy is the Traprain Bowl (scratch version) which I won a good few years ago now.

Still one of my best efforts.

Underplaying that effort MM. Excellent result I would say considering the entry from far & wide.

Fun recollection from Traprain Bowls from years ago. I'm a member of both Musselburgh & Dunbar.

I met a couple of MGC members outside the Clubhouse whom I knew I was playing with. I jokingly said to one

"Hey Alan who are you playing with today?"

Reply "Peter here & some Cee U Next Tuesday from Dunbar"

"Thanks Alan, I'm the Dunbar member in your group" :o) Mods, please excuse my French :o)

Back 9 was challenging today in the breeze!!! Lucky the temperature was similar to a late summer's day

8 hours ago, 2205ian said:

Underplaying that effort MM. Excellent result I would say considering the entry from far & wide.

Fun recollection from Traprain Bowls from years ago. I'm a member of both Musselburgh & Dunbar.

I met a couple of MGC members outside the Clubhouse whom I knew I was playing with. I jokingly said to one

"Hey Alan who are you playing with today?"

Reply "Peter here & some Cee U Next Tuesday from Dunbar"

"Thanks Alan, I'm the Dunbar member in your group" :o) Mods, please excuse my French 🐵

Back 9 was challenging today in the breeze!!! Lucky the temperature was similar to a late summer's day

Thanks Ian,

I do remember getting up and down from over the back of 18 for a one stroke win. Seems a long time ago now:huh: getting on for 20 years.

Bet your MGG guy was quiet for a few holes after that one.😂

9 hours ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Do you know what the problem is?

If so fairly easy to do. I have changed the motor and the switch without any problem

Lots of good instructional stuff on You Tube.

Depending on the trolley some have a light system underneath which identifies the fault.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Do you know what the problem is?

If so fairly easy to do. I have changed the motor and the switch without any problem

Lots of good instructional stuff on You Tube.

Depending on the trolley some have a light system underneath which identifies the fault.

unfortunetley not. He’s tried another battery on it so knows it’s not the better but that’s all. 

got in touch with Forthview range in Falkirk as they say they do repairs. Will see what they say. 

thanks 

18 hours ago, Juan Jose Carricondo Perez said:

Try the pro David Gemmill at Turhouse GC.

Although, I never get an answer to calls or email yet.

https://www.davidgemmellgolf.co.uk/general.aspx?content=b45742ea-9ffd-42a0-8854-b05bf45fe901&parent=4

Edited by Tommy Brown

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 17/11/2020 at 19:34, merrymac said:

As did super Wayne.

Right between his bandies :robboyas:

James didn't seem to like Hearts  :lol:Particularly Craig Levein which is how any tortured ex Hibby should be. 

Perfect gent though, seems to have distanced himself from football. 

Good tee to green, bit of sharpness in his short game would be significantly lower. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

James didn't seem to like Hearts  :lol:Particularly Craig Levein which is how any tortured ex Hibby should be. 

Perfect gent though, seems to have distanced himself from football. 

Good tee to green, bit of sharpness in his short game would be significantly lower. 

Sounds just like any Hibby should be😀

Must say I can relate to the short game though:huh:

Samuel Camazzola

Since parkland play is written off for several months (unless I get to Gleneagles), took in a couple of coastal games in the last week. 

Castle Course last week which was good but made even tougher with the rain showers. Great layout. 

The Torrance today where conditions were great. The course is in cracking condition and the greens were immense. Even better than they were in the summer months. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sounds just like any Hibby should be😀

Must say I can relate to the short game though:huh:

Dragged his putting down to my level  :(

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Since parkland play is written off for several months (unless I get to Gleneagles), took in a couple of coastal games in the last week. 

Castle Course last week which was good but made even tougher with the rain showers. Great layout. 

The Torrance today where conditions were great. The course is in cracking condition and the greens were immense. Even better than they were in the summer months. 

Parkland - played Pumphy on Saturday, frankly it shouldn't have been open. Mud bath.

Last week, played Kittocks, was astounded how wet the course was, particularly first two.

36 points at Pumphy, the same 2 weeks ago. 22 at the Kittocks, maybe mud baths suit my game more. I was bloody horrendous without having a bad drive.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Parkland - played Pumphy on Saturday, frankly it shouldn't have been open. Mud bath.

Last week, played Kittocks, was astounded how wet the course was, particularly first two.

36 points at Pumphy, the same 2 weeks ago. 22 at the Kittocks, maybe mud baths suit my game more. I was bloody horrendous without having a bad drive.

The only patches which were wet on the Torrance were some walkways which don't have any drainage and a couple of run-offs. The fairways were good and helped by the strong breeze. 

TBF, last week there was a bit of rain last week. The fairways at The Castle were becoming a bit saturated during play. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

The only patches which were wet on the Torrance were some walkways which don't have any drainage and a couple of run-offs. The fairways were good and helped by the strong breeze. 

TBF, last week there was a bit of rain last week. The fairways at The Castle were becoming a bit saturated during play. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've always found the Fairmont courses to get pretty wet considering they are links/clifftop.

We're the same as Pumphy just now and while it's great for the club that so many members are still playing, the course is massively overplayed just now. You couldn't get a tee time yesterday until about 2pm. For context, I had a look at the booking sheet for the same Sunday last year and 17 people played that day :lol:

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pricks

They must have a fair idea of the culprits, they will be local.

Whats wrong with folk these days, beyond me.😞.

Played the Dukes today, waste of time and money.

Winter greens despite only 2 holes frosted. And to make it worse, the winter greens were nowhere near the actual green, talking 100+ yards shorter on a lot of holes. 

The winter greens themselves were a disgrace, council courses have better prepared greens.

Email will be going in.

Samuel Camazzola
50 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Winter greens despite only 2 holes frosted. And to make it worse, the winter greens were nowhere near the actual green, talking 100+ yards shorter on a lot of holes. 

The winter greens themselves were a disgrace, council courses have better prepared greens.

Email will be going in.

As good a layout the course is I've always been underwhelmed by the condition. It suffers from poor drainage and can look scruffy at times. 

The clubhouse is in a good location with some cracking vistas from the patio but it seems to lack a bit of charm. 

I've played it before when we had frosty conditions and got sent out on the back nine first to allow the front nine to thaw. 

I've played the dukes 3 or 4 times. Every time I've played it, I vowed never to come back.. but you get invited and you think..  o it will be be better this time.. feck that always rubbish. 

22 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I've played the dukes 3 or 4 times. Every time I've played it, I vowed never to come back.. but you get invited and you think..  o it will be be better this time.. feck that always rubbish. 

I went today as the last time I played it I done my back in after 2 holes and couldn't continue.

They'll hit me with the usual "these things can't be helped in winter blah blah" but I'll be sending the email anyway.

Only playing the back 9 at Pumphy this weekend. Trying give the course a chance to recover.

I would have went further and banned trolleys, not just buggies.

Oap excluded.

37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Only playing the back 9 at Pumphy this weekend. Trying give the course a chance to recover.

Oap excluded.

I've always thought this too, a lot of the damage done to walkways etc is probably caused by trolleys. I've bought a carry bag for the winter, actually enjoying using it.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've always thought this too, a lot of the damage done to walkways etc is probably caused by trolleys. I've bought a carry bag for the winter, actually enjoying using it.

Keep the bag as light as possible.

Your already, most likely wearing everything you need. Waterproofs in the pocket if your not got on already.

Even taken out my 3w and 5w.

Got her indoors to buy me a new ouul carry bag, fully waterproof. 

Not sure if she will give me it tomorrow's birthday or Xmas. (Bag I'm talking about:wink:)

Samuel Camazzola

Kittocks today. Course was in very good nick with only the odd walkway showing signs of heavy ground. The greens had been dressed but ran very well considering. 

Several suspect accents in the car park suggesting quite a few may have travelled via the M8 to get a game. 🤔 

The booking sheet has been rammed the last couple of weekends which has not been the case in previous autumns.

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Oap excluded.

They used to ban trolleys at Pumphy when i was a member a number of years ago.

Remember getting caught out a few times and having to lug my cart bag round😟

On 28/11/2020 at 16:15, hmfc_liam06 said:

Email will be going in.

The Dukes is annoying, it should be great but never is!  The best thing about it is the pool table in the changing room.

Golf is in a complete boom and they will still lose money, god knows how they can stay afloat, I'd guess it will end up like Cardrona.  We have a waiting list of 28 at our club for the first time since the 90's

Samuel Camazzola
On 30/11/2020 at 14:14, Armageddon said:

The Dukes is annoying, it should be great but never is!  The best thing about it is the pool table in the changing room.

Golf is in a complete boom and they will still lose money, god knows how they can stay afloat, I'd guess it will end up like Cardrona.  We have a waiting list of 28 at our club for the first time since the 90's

That'll be down to their owners, Kohler who also own the Old Course Hotel. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

@weegranty

Sink hole in the bundai behind 1st green.

Looks like an old mine shaft which going to cause a big stir, as BP were meant to make the ground safe.

Video I have looks scary.

@merrymac

IMG-20201205-WA0015.jpg

Oops mate not so good,

wouldn't be looking for my ball near there.

47 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

@weegranty

Sink hole in the bundai behind 1st green.

Looks like an old mine shaft which going to cause a big stir, as BP were meant to make the ground safe.

Video I have looks scary.

@merrymac

IMG-20201205-WA0015.jpg

Wow,wouldn't like to fall in there.Can you share the video?

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

If we had lost today, Robbie and his team were going in it.:lol:

That's not a hole, it's s bloody cave.

There'll be s family of Muppets down there.😩:rofl:👍